THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Kennedy qualified to become a senator?

osusev

I dont see why Ms. Kennedy is anywhere near being qualified to become a Senator. I did not see Palin as Qualified and I certainly dont See Kennedy as having even close to what Palin had in governmental experience.

Mind Boggling.

I concur Sev. Her only qualification is that her last name is Kennedy. :rolleyes:

I dont see why Ms. Kennedy is anywhere near being qualified to become a Senator. I did not see Palin as Qualified and I certainly dont See Kennedy as having even close to what Palin had in governmental experience.

Mind Boggling.

She isn't qualified and she won't get appointed. I don't believe her 'support' is coming from the strong left but by an odd combination of Kennedy lovers.

well I suppose Steve we will see how the "empty suit" as you like refer to Obama as does ONCE he is in office. Bush and your right wing republicans have ruined the economy, military and world reputation and standing with iraq and abu ghraib, eroded personal freedoms with the patriot act , attempted to make the pres and vp office into dicatorial positions and led us the the worst recession and job loss since the depression. Wait I forgot spent the social security surplus and tripled our national deficit along with our yearly budget way into the red and let China own more than half our current debt.

So ruined world standing, economy, worst job loss since depression, constittional freedoms damages, worst public financial stock market based scams in history, stretched our military so even national guard are now serving 4+ tours... etc etc I suppose even a empty suit could do better. At least this guy can use the english language properly.

You should be glad you backed the republicans their leadership has done so well the last 8 years.

well I suppose Steve we will see how the "empty suit" as you like refer to Obama as does ONCE he is in office. Bush and your right wing republicans have ruined the economy, military and world reputation and standing with iraq and abu ghraib, eroded personal freedoms with the patriot act , attempted to make the pres and vp office into dicatorial positions and led us the the worst recession and job loss since the depression. Wait I forgot spent the social security surplus and tripled our national deficit along with our yearly budget way into the red and let China own more than half our current debt.

So ruined world standing, economy, worst job loss since depression, constittional freedoms damages, worst public financial stock market based scams in history, stretched our military so even national guard are now serving 4+ tours... etc etc I suppose even a empty suit could do better. At least this guy can use the english language properly.

You should be glad you backed the republicans their leadership has done so well the last 8 years.

Yeah?

Actually had the best growth rate average in yearws up until your dems took over both houses.

Unemployment is 7.2. BFD historically.

Those of you who bleat about Clinton didn't back his wife and seemingly don't wat to go back to two party rule.

(you remember the golden age you talk about?)

Right Sev?

We've taxed the manufacturiing right over the ocean.

We'll see if the empty suit brings back those semi skilled jobs at 80 bucks an hour.

I'm betting no.

And the deficit?

I hear a pledge to send that sky high.

You?

SS surplus??

You are kidding about that one right?

WSS

• 2 weeks later...
Well the monkeys can quit throwing their poo around regarding this and focus on important stuff like the trash left by inauguration spectators.

Caroline Kennedy withdraws name for Senate seat.

And yet I still hear you guys crying over Harriet Miers.

Oh well Caroline found out that the senate meets during happy hour.

F*ck that.

WSS

Figures... mz the pussy would fall for the liberal "oh look the other way, what we say isn't what we do"

trick. LOL

Source: Caroline Kennedy remains in Senate Contest

By MICHAEL GORMLEY, Associated Press Writer Michael Gormley, Associated Press Writer – Wed Jan 21, 11:18 pm ETat Harvard University, … ALBANY, N.Y. – After wavering briefly, Caroline Kennedy renewed her determination Wednesday to win appointment to the U.S. Senate seat once held by her slain uncle, Bobby Kennedy, a person close to the decision said.

After her surviving uncle, Sen. Edward Kennedy, suffered a seizure on Inauguration Day, Caroline Kennedy had misgivings about taking on the new job, the source said, speaking to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak for Kennedy. Earlier in the day, The New York Times and New York Post reported that Kennedy had ended her monthlong bid to succeed Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was confirmed as secretary of state.

MSNBC also reported that a person close to Kennedy denied that she was out of the running.

Spokesmen for Caroline Kennedy and for Gov. David Patterson, who will make the appointment to fill the Clinton seat, wouldn't comment.

The hours of mixed signals were the latest twist in the Kennedy effort, which began with popular support that withered after she drew criticism in her brief tour and early press interviews.

The reports were a shock to supporters and to Paterson, who had appeared likely to appoint her to the seat by Saturday.

Edward Kennedy, who has been treated for an aggressive brain tumor, suffered a seizure Tuesday at the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

The New York Post was first to report his niece's withdrawal from the Senate contest.

The New York Times cited a source it didn't identify as saying Kennedy withdrew out of concern for her uncle and his illness. But the Post cited an unidentified source as saying she dropped out because she learned Paterson had decided not to choose her.

Paterson said that on Wednesday he would begin reviewing the candidates' responses to the 28-page questionnaires he had asked applicants to complete. The forms asked about personal finances and other background issues, many of which Kennedy has long shielded from the public.

Kennedy, an author, lawyer and fundraiser for New York City schools, has long guarded her privacy, and the questionnaires were expected to include some closely guarded Kennedy financial data.

Paterson had said he thought the candidates' responses would be confidential because it was his personal request that they fill them out. But the state's open-government expert and good-government groups told the AP that once the forms were written and submitted to the governor at least some of the responses would be subject to public review under the state Freedom of Information Law.

Kennedy jumped to the top of statewide polls in early December, but her public support waned following a brief upstate tour and a few press interviews. She was criticized as reluctant to answer questions, and her knowledge of New York and its issues were suspect. She was also mocked nationwide for her frequent use of "you know" and "um" in interviews and was branded a lackluster campaigner.

Several other candidates are under consideration, including Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, who surpassed Kennedy in statewide polls last week.

Paterson said Cuomo had outstanding credentials for the job. Cuomo was the housing secretary under President Bill Clinton. Cuomo was elected attorney general in 2006 and has since led national reforms in the student loan industry and had a role in reining in corporate spending on Wall Street.

Cuomo is also the most popular elected politician in New York in polls — higher than Paterson, whose approval rating, while still high, has been slipping.

Other contenders include Reps. Carolyn Maloney, of New York City, and Steve Israel, of Long Island, along with a strong upstate candidate, Rep. Kristen Gillibrand, whose district runs along the Hudson Valley. Other hopefuls among the 10 or 20 Paterson said were under consideration include Reps. Jerrold Nadler and Brian Higgins and Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown.

The Kennedy reports came hours after Maloney, some Democrats' top choice, was named chair of the Joint Economic Committee in Congress. That's a significant move because Paterson had made it clear the next senator's top job should be to help land a federal stimulus package to help New York out of its historic fiscal crisis.

Figures... mz the pussy would fall for the liberal "oh look the other way, what we say isn't what we do"

trick. LOL

HUH?

I was merely reporting the news, thereby closing the door on that non-issue allowing you and the rest of the Populist Braintrust to focus on more important issues. I don't see the problem here...

Guest Aloysius

Patterson appoints Kirsten Gillibrand, a conservative Democratic congresswoman who graduated magna from Dartmouth and received her law degree from UCLA. Also served as special counsel to the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during the Clinton administration.

Sounds qualified to me.

Patterson appoints Kirsten Gillibrand, a conservative Democratic congresswoman who graduated magna from Dartmouth and received her law degree from UCLA. Also served as special counsel to the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during the Clinton administration.

Sounds qualified to me.

I have no problem with the selection. The Gov. kind of made his own way and shunned political pressure to appoint either Slossher or Cumo.

PS What are the chances that Teddy's seizure was staged?

During the inaguration and, conveniently, allowing his niece to drop out of contention 'so she can concentrate on her uncle's health'? Hmmmmm

The Gov. kind of made his own way and shunned political pressure to appoint either Slossher or Cumo.
Regardless of what you think of the selection, it was clearly a political decision. He passed over Cuomo because he cant afford to piss off women by replacing Clinton with a man. Instead, he selected a moderate upstate woman - 3 points that he will want voters to remember when he is up for reelection.

Good thing Paterson doesnt need to win Shep's vote. Not only is Gillibrand the type of mindless drone that could be endorsed by the NRA, but she also ran a very personal campaign to get the seat she currently has and was irresponsible enough to have a child after 40. Somehow the words "cynical" and "disgust" need to work their way into this discussion.

Regardless of what you think of the selection, it was clearly a political decision. He passed over Cuomo because he cant afford to piss off women by replacing Clinton with a man. Instead, he selected a moderate upstate woman - 3 points that he will want voters to remember when he is up for reelection.

Good thing Paterson doesnt need to win Shep's vote. Not only is Gillibrand the type of mindless drone that could be endorsed by the NRA, but she also ran a very personal campaign to get the seat she currently has and was irresponsible enough to have a child after 40. Somehow the words "cynical" and "disgust" need to work their way into this discussion.

Since when is having a child after the age of 40 considered to be 'irresponsible'? Would 15 be a more responsible age?

From The Plank's "Ten Things You Didn't Know About Kirsten Gillibrand":

2. She bucked House leadership by voting against both versions of the TARP bailout bill in the fall.

3. A big gun supporter, she's been given a 100% approval rating by the NRA -- she's one of the extremely few Democrats on a federal level to win official NRA endorsement -- and, this fall, she voted in favor of a controversial bill to repeal District of Columbia laws prohibiting the possession of semiautomatics.

4. A couple more mavericky votes: She was the only New York Democrat to support the May 2007 war-funding bill; the others voted against it because it did not contain a troop-withdrawal timetable. She also voted for H.R. 6304, the FISA Amendments Act, which extended immunity to telecoms that spied on U.S. citizens at the behest of the Bush administration.

5. During this year's campaign, she described her voting record as "one of the most conservative in the state" of New York.

6. Her district, while not overwhelmingly Republican -- the Cook Political Report gives it a "partisan voting index" of R+3 -- voted for George W. Bush twice.

Archived