THE BROWNS BOARD

The end all be all thread regarding quinns arm strength...

PlaygroundLegend

So scouts are always correct huh? Wasn't Tim Couch suppose to be great. Smith? Russell? Oh wait what about Vernon Gholston.

Why does only the denver throw count? I said in Houston he was pressured, but Favre made a career of throwing deep balls under pressure.

Why does not pre-season count? Do Quarterbacks not throw hard in pre-season?

Don't be ignorant and absurd. The guy has had 4 attempts, 0 were completed, all underthrown. What else is there to say?

Make all the excuses for him you want, I'm not buying it.

I've seen Brady Quinn throw a hard ball before, and it was right into the cut of the other teams Defensive End for an INT. Of course we have seen Anderson do that same throw into the DE a few times himself.

Take your Brady Quinn thongs off your face and smell the roses, the guy had chances to do the throws, and couldn't make it. I've already said he has the physical ability to make them, and probably can be coached to make them.

What do you want, me to LIE and say he made the throws, when it was on TV for everybody to see that he did not make the throws?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So scouts are always correct huh? Wasn't Tim Couch suppose to be great. Smith? Russell? Oh wait what about Vernon Gholston.

Why does only the denver throw count? I said in Houston he was pressured, but Favre made a career of throwing deep balls under pressure.

Why does not pre-season count? Do Quarterbacks not throw hard in pre-season?

Don't be ignorant and absurd. The guy has had 4 attempts, 0 were completed, all underthrown. What else is there to say?

Make all the excuses for him you want, I'm not buying it.

I've seen Brady Quinn throw a hard ball before, and it was right into the cut of the other teams Defensive End for an INT. Of course we have seen Anderson do that same throw into the DE a few times himself.

Take your Brady Quinn thongs off your face and smell the roses, the guy had chances to do the throws, and couldn't make it. I've already said he has the physical ability to make them, and probably can be coached to make them.

What do you want, me to LIE and say he made the throws, when it was on TV for everybody to see that he did not make the throws?

No, we just don't want you to say Retarded shit like this in the first place.

no point arguing w/ Brady's Ladies! We have seen Brady Quinn throw DUCKS for deep passes, and still none of Brady's Ladies will admit, hence why you keep Brady's thong on your forehead.

If Brady Quinn was not from Ohio, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

Why don't we just call our team the Cleveland Buckeyes? If the players aren't from OSU or Ohio, they are not welcome on this team.

Wake up, OSU has been a fraud lately, just as our team has been a Fraud. Ohio is not going to save this team. The good Ohio/OSU players leave to succeed, not stay. Look at Ben.

no point arguing w/ Brady's Ladies! We have seen Brady Quinn throw DUCKS for deep passes, and still none of Brady's Ladies will admit, hence why you keep Brady's thong on your forehead.

If Brady Quinn was not from Ohio, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

Why don't we just call our team the Cleveland Buckeyes? If the players aren't from OSU or Ohio, they are not welcome on this team.

Wake up, OSU has been a fraud lately, just as our team has been a Fraud. Ohio is not going to save this team. The good Ohio/OSU players leave to succeed, not stay. Look at Ben.

I didn't even read but 2 lines of your post before I came to the conclusion that you are 15. Therefor, you no longer have any credibility until you post something that doesn't make you look like a child.

• 2 months later...

oh snap, people are bringing up Brady Quinns arm again, and saying its week once again. We have already come to the conclusion that Derek can only throw 10 yds. farther than brady, we have seen Quinn make 60+ yard throws, and yet we still have some bums discounting his arm. One of the pluses on his couting report was his strong nfl arm.

The thing is, Quinn has touch, and whn you look at Derek rifleling balls at short and long range, it appears his arm is that of Jesus himself, were sorry Quinn doesnt throw 10 yd. passes at 100mph

People are so ignorant sometimes

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to, but I'm forced to bump this again, why is this still an issue? Quinn consistently shows people he has a REALLY strong arm, and yet people fail to recognize it. Take any QB in the league besides DA, Palmer, and Russel and you can argue that Quinn has comparable arm strength....

I think the problem is that when you look at Andersons throw, and then immediately look at Quinns throw, you see the change in velocity and then discount Quinns. If you were to take all the NFL QB's and place them in one huge QB tossing practice, you would see that Quinn (I have no doubt) would be top 12. This is simply rediculous and has gone on waaaaay too long!

His fricken scounting report says STRONG ARM for christ sakes!! What more do you want?!?!?

1.First off I would like to request that before responding to this post you watch this video...

THATTA BOY! You had me at "first" but you sealed the deal when you got Loverboy dressed in his Lancelot Armor for Dumb Ass.

Ironically, most of the columnists and DA fans informing us Quinn can't throw a deep ball have never a jock strap. Loverboy likes to sniff them but it's not the same.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius
Cutler, Russell, and Anderson probably have the three true cannons in the NFL. Palmer's is in the next group. Pennington is at the bottom, but still good, obviously. In between is everybody else with not much difference between them.

Flacco, Stafford, and Freeman probably deserve to be in that top tier.

Anderson's arm strength is no better than Quinns. Anderson's release point is faster which causes his balls to fire with more zip, but long balls? I don't see much difference. Russell,Cutler and Stafford all have better arms than Anderson in terms of pure deep strength.

Anderson's mechanics also give him problem with some throws that Quinn pulls off better.

No, Quinn can't throw a football 70 yards. Maybe 65.

Joe Flacco won the long distance throw last year with a 74 yd throw with no pads on.

The other guys in the competition were in the mid to low 60's.

We've seen Anderson throw one 60 yards in a game before. Now he could probably hit 70, but not Quinn.

Hmm... yes, this is a good example of how the above post isn't correct? Pick and choose particular lines of conjecture and act like he's stupid then only remove 5 yards from the total?

Come on dude, 60 or 65 yards is still pretty good.

Steve Doerschuck watched Quinn throw the ball 70 yards to the corner of the end zone. He wrote about it.

Okay and exactly HOW OFTEN will the pass rushes of Pittsburgh and Baltimore ALLOW our QB the 5-7 step drops required to execute such a throw? Seriously.

I don't give a rat how far they can throw it. Kordell Stewart could throw a ball a country mile - wasn't that college rope he threw 75 yards to beat Michigan on the final play? Guess how many times he did this on an NFL playoff team? The first and only time was the 12th of Never. Why do you suppose that is?

Remember how many knuckleheads fell in love with Kyle Boller because he could allegedly throw a ball almost 60 yards from his knees? That does alot of good when he has the vision of Mr Magoo on the football field. It's no wonder he's named after a sport that features the gutter ball. What a squid!

I heard SO MUCH crap about Sipe's weak arm all the way up until he got his first FREAKIN chance. It couldn't have been further from the truth. And when you hit November and December on Lake Erie's shores - how realistic is it to plan some 60-65 yard passes?

Come on - what do you say we get back to a little reality about what division we play in and WHERE these games are played.

- Tom F.

Okay and exactly HOW OFTEN will the pass rushes of Pittsburgh and Baltimore ALLOW our QB the 5-7 step drops required to execute such a throw? Seriously.

I don't give a rat how far they can throw it. Kordell Stewart could throw a ball a country mile - wasn't that college rope he threw 75 yards to beat Michigan on the final play? Guess how many times he did this on an NFL playoff team? The first and only time was the 12th of Never. Why do you suppose that is?

Remember how many knuckleheads fell in love with Kyle Boller because he could allegedly throw a ball almost 60 yards from his knees? That does alot of good when he has the vision of Mr Magoo on the football field. It's no wonder he's named after a sport that features the gutter ball. What a squid!

I heard SO MUCH crap about Sipe's weak arm all thew way up until he got his first FREAKIN chance. It couldn't have been further from the truth. And when you hit November and December on Lake Erie's shores - how realistic is it to plan some 60-65 yard passes?

Come - what do you say we get back to a little reality about what division we play in and WHERE these games are played.

- Tom F.

Game. Set. Match. Anyone who tries to dispute that will fail.

I heard SO MUCH crap about Sipe's weak arm all thew way up until he got his first FREAKIN chance. It couldn't have been further from the truth. And when you hit November and December on Lake Erie's shores - how realistic is it to plan some 60-65 yard passes?

Come - what do you say we get back to a little reality about what division we play in and WHERE these games are played.

- Tom F.

Agree. Slam dunk.

Additionally, let's make a list of successful Browns QB's who had a stronger arm than DA. Uhm, zero.

Next, isn't there something called the west coast offense which successfully carried the load with short and medium range passes? Yep, there is.

Arm strengh matters. It's not just the deep balls and outs, it's consistently throwing with zip, which gives you that extra fraction of a second to beat a defender. Bret Favre wasn't known as a big arm because of his bombs, but because of the incredible zip on his 15-20 yard throws. Anderson's zip and quick release give him a physical edge over Quinn, who needs to be the more consistent and accurate passer to win out.

Accuracy, consistency and playmaking ... that's what will win it.

Zombo

--at least you guys are coming around ... when I first started pointing this out, I don't think most of you thought it wasn't a real competition.

Arm strengh matters. It's not just the deep balls and outs, it's consistently throwing with zip, which gives you that extra fraction of a second to beat a defender. Bret Favre wasn't known as a big arm because of his bombs, but because of the incredible zip on his 15-20 yard throws. Anderson's zip and quick release give him a physical edge over Quinn, who needs to be the more consistent and accurate passer to win out.

Accuracy, consistency and playmaking ... that's what will win it.

Zombo

--at least you guys are coming around ... when I first started pointing this out, I don't think most of you thought it was a real competition.

Well then Quinn is doing something else right as DA's lifelong INT% is higher than Quinns, so I'm not sure what he's doing with the fraction of a second you speak of.

;)

Now, in support of Tom's post, that's about your pass blocking, too... especially your left tackle. If your QB doesn't have time for a receiver to get 25 yards downfield so he can throw 45, they can risk moving the safeties up.

Good point. Do you remember how we started off against the New Orleans Saints in 2006? It was seemingly an 80 yard TD pass from Frye to Braylon Edwards. True story. Just as true as the yellow flag laying at Kevin Shaffer's feet telling us there will be no extra point because it's now 1st and 20 from our own 10 yard line.

I've also seen Peyton Manning go from warm indoors to NE's snow covered ground in January and struggle to lead his team to 3 points. All of a sudden, he's sackable and footballs are slipping out of his hands at the release. They didn't even CONSIDER throwing anything longer than 20-25 yards. Welcome to what the rest of the league plays in Peyton. It's not Peyton's Place - it's reality. Last year in Cleveland, the ONLY TD Indy scored was on DA's fumble return when you think of how they got their 10 points.

A BIG part of this all is the LUCK of where these QBs play their HOME games. Your dome guys up in Minnesota have put up some pretty steller numbers over the years. Want proof? Here's Randall Cunningham like never seen before at 35 years of age:

Year Age Tm Pos G GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rating

1998 35 MIN QB 15 14 259 425 60.9 3704 34 10 106.0

Warner liked his dome in St Louis before going to the dry warm climate of Arizona. That matters more than we think. Climate and location in the Fall & Winter change how vertical teams can plan on going. That's WHY I find myself a little more appreciative of guys like Sipe, Kosar, Favre, Kelly, McNabb and Brady than some of the spoiled fellers indoors, with a dry football and no wind or cold. The warm weather guys enjoy the perks as well.

If one likes DA for the stronger arm - he's playing in the wrong city. If I was Loverboy, I'd rather have DA in Minnesota where we wouldn't have to listen to him crying about Mother Nature's PMS.

- Tom F.

Well then Quinn is doing something else right as DA's lifelong INT% is higher than Quinns, so I'm not sure what he's doing with the fraction of a second you speak of.

;)

I'm talking about making plays, not avoiding Interceptions.

Anderson threw for 29 TDs in 2007 and a lot of it was beating the defender.

No one denies his other faults and inconsistency in his young career so far ... but if you don't think that big arm can make a difference on games days ... and to the coaching staff ... you're fooling yourselves.

Zombo

Zombo

His inconsistencies and annual regressions are maddening though.

In 2007 I was often asked by rival fans - "WHO did you beat?" Here's why they would ask such a thing:

Miami 1-15

St Louis 3-13

SF 5-11

Balt 5-11

Balt 5-11

NY Jets 4-12

Buffalo 7-9

Cincy 7-9

Houston 8-8

Seattle 10-6

avg 5-11

Aside from that, the 4-12 Raiders and 8-8 Cardinals beat us. I was trying to be honest when I said ALL last preseason, DA is going to need to beat the good teams in our conference for many of us to feel he's the RIGHT guy. In 3 years, guess how many AFC teams with more than 8 wins he has beaten? 0. Two of those games last year were 10-6 losses only re-assuring me DA is not the answer.

- Tom F.

I am leaning to the neither is the answer camp. Though I will say that if you put DA in the conditions you mentioned flug then I do think he will be successful. Since BQ seems to mirror DA I would have to say in the right situation he probably would be successful also. But I am leaning to the Move DA asap camp, let BQ have the year and then draft a real QB next year and let him play behind BQ for a year. then trade BQ. The only QB that seems to be playing like he wants the job is Ratliff.

No one denies his other faults and inconsistency in his young career so far ... but if you don't think that big arm can make a difference on games days ... and to the coaching staff ... you're fooling yourselves.

Zombo

I like a strong arm too. However, arm strength is just one of the many variables in the good QB's equation for success.

I am leaning to the neither is the answer camp. Though I will say that if you put DA in the conditions you mentioned flug then I do think he will be successful. Since BQ seems to mirror DA I would have to say in the right situation he probably would be successful also. But I am leaning to the Move DA asap camp, let BQ have the year and then draft a real QB next year and let him play behind BQ for a year. then trade BQ. The only QB that seems to be playing like he wants the job is Ratliff.

Thanks for the reply CMAC. I'd just like to see what we have in Quinn since we gave up alot to get him. I was surprised Minnesota didn't even consider DA. Then he would have had an elite defense, elite running game, dry football, no wind, no cold and NO 1st round alternative the fans are wondering about. Childress brought an offense where the QB has to read through progressions so I'm sure he looked at DA on film. DA's BEST throws are timing patterns where he's not asked to think or speed read. In 07 when he had time for the 5 step drops he was hitting the post patterns and flag patterns off the plant. The blitz took away the 5 step drops and he was forced to speed read. That was the difference between Cincy I and 4 INTS at Cincy.

In 2008, the Atlanta Falcons did exactly what we did on the previous draft day. QB & LT in round 1 and added a free agent RB with something to prove. They were in the same place we were the year we drafted Quinn. The difference was they believed in what they did and were willing to endure growing pains if need be. I've never understood why we would draft a young QB the way we did ONLY to start another young QB nobody was interested in. You have to admit - when he became available this offseason, teams needing QBs either said "we'll just draft one" or we'll sign other guys.

I'm delighted to hear Ratliff is impressing people. That's great news for us.

- Tom F.

Archived