THE BROWNS BOARD

Frost Nixon Review

Frost Nixon

Universal

R 122 min

Americans have always had a penchant for deifying and demonizing those in the public eye. The fame and or infamy we assign to the celebrity class create legends, which take the place of history as years go by.

There are few more vilified that ex president Richard Nixon who has become the bogeyman for an entire group of political ideologues.

One of the themes of FROST NIXON, the account of the details leading up to the famous TV interview is just that double standard. While the charismatic Jack Kennedy got a free pass despite tales of political corruption, policy blunders, womanizing, alcohol and drug abuse “Tricky Dick” was despised for a relatively minor cover up of a relatively minor (or third rate as G Gordon Liddy called it) burglary.

The idea that his actual accomplishments as president were ignored while “enemies” droned on over Watergate haunted the man for the rest of his days.

FROST NIXON does indeed have a political point of view, yet it’s still a movie and Ron Howard is one of the few directors who can bridge that gap without rancor.

Sure the film leans left but it’s never in danger of toppling over. You can see Nixon as a villain or just misunderstood as you choose but I’m sure you’ll be impressed by Frank Langellas performance. No doubt there will be an Oscar nomination in store.

Michael Sheen, however, seems to make David Frost more charismatic and better looking than I remember him to be. I guess this is a subtle way to draw distinction between the two.

We don’t know how much of the dialog or events are verbatim and how much are created for effect but in the end it is a fascinating look at a period of American politics we only vaguely remember. It was the dawn of American politics as American Idol.

B

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived