THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli packing to go to KC

DieselPusher

via Rotoworld:

Replacement targets may include Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Brian Schottenheimer, and Kirk Ferentz.

If KC gets a Schwartz/Pioli or Spags/Pioli combo, Lerner is an idiot.

That jury is already in.

Indeed it is. They have found you guilty of 2nd-degree fat and 1st-degree asshole.

But anyway, there are a lot of "ones who got away" so far this offseason. Pioli, McDaniels, Schwartz, Spags...

via Rotoworld:

I totally disagree! I understand that Schwartz or Spags are high profile choices, but what have they really done? If Lerner would have gotten one of them and/or Pioli, then you and at least 75% of the fans would be bitching that he signed "UNPROVEN COMMODITIES" Lerner went out and got the best option he fealt he could get in getting an Experienced HC and building the staff and FO around him. I don't see anything wrong with that. It is the first time EVER that the Browns have a head coach with head coaching experience at the NFL level! Everyone is always begging for the Browns to do something different from what they always do. Now, Lerner has done exactly that!

In reality, nobody can really say how good or bad the decision was. Only time will tell. At least Mangini has the chance to improve on what he already has done elsewhere. The others are starting from stage 1!

Guest Aloysius

Schwartz/Pioli would tempt me into becoming a Chiefs fan.

Here's to hoping Mangini turns out to be the evil defensive genius I was hoping for in Schwartz. The reflexive "I run a 3-4" comment at his presser was a good start...

Here's to hoping Mangini turns out to be the evil defensive genius I was hoping for in Schwartz. The reflexive "I run a 3-4" comment at his presser was a good start...

While watching the Rats/Flaming Thumbtacks play the other day, one of the commentators mentioned about Schwartz that he doesn't run an attacking defense where they bring all out blitzes or exotic blitz packages.

If I were Pioli (I'm not), I'd hire Schwartz today, for many reason, including the following:

He turned Albert Haynesworth into Albert Haynesworth and would have Glen Dorsey to work with. Unless they go 3-4, rendering him useless. But why would they do that???

Guest Aloysius

Gunther Cunningham's been criticized for using Dorsey straight-up against o-lineman, something that negates his ability to penetrate upfield. IIRC, Schwartz got a lot of credit for making a small adjustment in where Haynesworth lined up before the '07 season, helping Big Al have huge success the past two years.

And as for the evil genius comment, it was kinda tongue in cheek. Schwartz has a reputation for being an arrogant genius, kind of like Belichick. In fact, Belichick has said that Schwartz is on the smartest guys he's ever worked with.

I'm sure Mangini's of a similar level of intelligence. And it's true that Schwartz's scheme, like Mangini's, isn't particularly aggressive - the difference being, however, that Schwartz's defenses have been very successful.

I guess time will tell, but I was fully on the Pioli/Spags bandwagon when this all began.

God I hope I'm wrong but if history shows truth, Lerner has shown me nothing yet.

I guess it's a good thing my 2nd favorite team is the Chiefs.

Damn, this news is killing me........

via Rotoworld:

Why do you say that...IMO we got the best coach available.

Question.....is it possible that Pioli without Belicheck wouldn't have been so hot??

I think so.

Question.....is it possible that Pioli without Belicheck wouldn't have been so hot??

I think so.

I can buy into that argument, but he doesn't win the executive of the year awards by simply being Belicheck's b*tch.

I think so.

Of course it's possible, I'm just talking in personal preferences. I like the Mangini move just fine. I just wanted Pioli here until the whole "I'm bringing Ferentz here with me" thing, because I would have preferred Spags or Schwartz...

You don't get it, mz the pussy. HE IS NOT A BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!

'Somebody' is also probably searching like crazy for his Wonderluc scores although, anybody who saw him wreak havoc at LSU could just tell he was going to be a monster.

Down, boy! :)

I didn't fully understand all of the above, but my good friend Roger, as nuts about the Chiefs as we are about the Browns, says Dorsey sucked beyond all human comprehension. He's imminently blockable.

Also seems like he's shrinking. He's now 6'1" and 295. That's a pretty small interior DL. Kevin Williams is 6'5" and 320, Haynesworth is 6'6" and 330, both 4-3 guys like Dorsey.

Not the 'ROGER' card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can buy into that argument, but he doesn't win the executive of the year awards by simply being Belicheck's b*tch.

Not many executives of the year do so with a crappy coach.

Bill was probably pretty high on the COTY lists at the same time.

I know this can become a chicken or the egg argument if we allow it so I will just state my bottom line....a good coach is more important than a good GM. My reasoning is a coach has a better shot of being able to identify talent than a GM is going to be able to coach a team.

Just my humble opinion.

Hayneswworth was Haynesworth without Schwartz. Schwartz can't take any credit for making him what he is.

Yeah, b/c none of these "fat guys" ever bust out if they're not coached up/motivated, right?

Having tons of friends (and Chiefs fans) in Kansas City, the Dorsey part would be a punchline. They've drafted more stiffs on defense than anybody in the league. Hali sucks, too. Derrick Johnson is adequate, which is something to cheer about. They haven't hit on anything.

Shep, all you guys who want Aaron Curry, he will turn out just like Derrick Johnson, do you remember a few years back when everyone was all hyped on Derrick Johnson and the guys that were calling for Shawne Merriman were told that he will never be the player that Derrick Johnson would be, sounds like many people on this board when talking about Rey Rey

If the Browns make the mistake of drafting Aaron Curry you will see another Derrick Johnson

Hayneswworth was Haynesworth without Schwartz. Schwartz can't take any credit for making him what he is. Of all the top candidateds, I think Schwartz may be the one who doesn't make it. I'd take Ryan or Spagnoula before Schwartz, but I don't know if Pioli is secure enough to take someone off another tree.

Schwartz was rumored to be the #1 candidate for the Lions before Pioli got this job. I could see those two together and I think I would still take Mangini/Kokinis over them.

Pioli now has to run things on his own and he doesn't have Belichick to rely on. Schwartz better get used to someone making the decisions on his players. I see some Savage in Pioli.

So where is Herm Edwards during all this?

I thought you told us Ytown that Pioli was staying in New England.......LoL

Another WRONG PREDICTION by Ytown

Have you applied for the GM position Ytown, you seem to have all the answers, why don't you tell Lerner what to do to get this team to the Super Bowl, I am sure you have all the answers

Wasn't there a rationale that Lerner had to move quickly to hire Mangini for some reason (obviously it wasn't because other teams were going to hire him away from the Browns)?

Assuming it was so Mangini could hire coaches away from non-playoff teams we'll see if patience pays off for these teams compared to the Browns. They took a decidedly different approach - to take their time in their coaching and/or GM searches.

That being said, it seems like Tannenbaum's indecision for the Jets - hot on one coach one day, cold on him the next and hot on another coach - isn't making him look all that good either.

I thought you told us Ytown that Pioli was staying in New England.......LoL

Another WRONG PREDICTION by Ytown

Have you applied for the GM position Ytown, you seem to have all the answers, why don't you tell Lerner what to do to get this team to the Super Bowl, I am sure you have all the answers

Hey Troll, you better be more concerned about everybody running out of NE then what other teams are doing. Belichick may be the last hand on deck.

BTW, who the F**k cares where Pioli goes. I thought for sure he couldn't leave Belichick's coat tails. Now let's see if he can be his own man or was he just a coffee fetcher.

Guest Aloysius

The biggest knock against D. Johnson coming out of Texas was that he had strength issues/trouble shedding blocks. By contrast, Curry's said to be exceptional in that aspect of his game.

Hey Troll, you better be more concerned about everybody running out of NE then what other teams are doing. Belichick may be the last hand on deck.

BTW, who the F**k cares where Pioli goes. I thought for sure he couldn't leave Belichick's coat tails. Now let's see if he can be his own man or was he just a coffee fetcher.

I believe you are the TROLL, 500+ post in 3 months....Nothing better do do fella?

You came to this board acting like you are a expert on everything, you have all the answers, I did not know Youngstown had a guy who proclaims to be a better sports writer than Grossi, a better coach than Belichek and a better GM than Polian.

Now get a life Ytown, not one of your predictions have come close to being correct

Pioli was the best guy out there and as usual we settle for a head coach with a losing record in 3 season whose team spent millions of dollars on Free Agents and CHOKED at the end of the season, but according to you he was the best available coach.

FYI, Only 8 coaches have been hired shortly after they were fired from there previous job and only 2 Sid Gillman-Chargers and Bob McMillen-Eagles had winning recoreds at their 2nd job, so stop trying to compare this to Belichek leaving the Browns.

We saw how great Randy Lerner selects coaches and GM with Crennel and Savage.....Great track record for Lerner

Where are all the guys who wanted a coach with a aggressive D, well you sure ain't getting that with Mangini, we are getting Romeo #2 another fat guy with a passive defense and no emotions on the sidelines

no emotions on the sidelines

Bill Belichick shows must be pretty unsuccessful, judging by your criteria. Tony Dungy? What a putz. Bill Walsh?? Loser. Don't get me started on that Phil Jackson guy...

Bill Belichick shows must be pretty unsuccessful, judging by your criteria. Tony Dungy? What a putz. Bill Walsh?? Loser. Don't get me started on that Phil Jackson guy...

I am just saying what people were posting before Mangini was hired, now he is such a great hire and all those comments that fans wanted are forgotten

Archived