THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli packing to go to KC

DieselPusher

I'm certain many of us have some reservations, but I never understood what the problem with being excited is. It isn't like I made the choice to hire Mangini. Randy Lerner made that choice for me, so i have to live with it and make the best of it.

What is the alternative? Bitching continuously??

The biggest knock against D. Johnson coming out of Texas was that he had strength issues/trouble shedding blocks. By contrast, Curry's said to be exceptional in that aspect of his game.

Aloy, what good competition has Curry at Wake Forrest played against?

Every guy from Kiper to the other so called draft guru's were all claiming Derrick Johnson was going to be great, same guys were saying A.J. Hawk would be great

Other than Ray Lewis and Urlacher years ago how many inside linebackers are game changing players

Guest Aloysius

Very interesting:

DON’T COUNT ON SCHWARTZ-PIOLI PAIRING

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2009, 8:43 p.m.

In response to a suggestion in some circles that new Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli might pursue Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz to become the new head coach of the team, a league source tells us that it will not be happening.

Per the source, Pioli and Schwartz “despise each other.”

Though Schwartz looks to be the favorite for the Lions job, his camp could be floating the possibility of Kansas City hiring Schwartz in order to squeeze Detroit into hiring him prematurely and/or giving him a better deal.

That said, it’s our understanding that the Chiefs are not and will not be an option for him.

via Rotoworld:

If KC gets a Schwartz/Pioli or Spags/Pioli combo, Lerner is an idiot.

I'm willing to give the new organization a chance. Thought Mangini was an uninspiring hire as I put a lot more emphasis on performance than I do about interviewing skills. Sounds like Lerner simply swooned over him. I won't skewer the guy at this point. I could be pleasantly surprised.

One thing about Pioli bothers me, though. I understand the spygate issue and why he might not be willing to work with 'The Rat'. However, his mentors - HC Bill Belichick and Father-in-Law Bill Parcells, apparently, didn't give a glowing recommendation RE: Lerner's organization.

Again, time will tell. At the same time, it appears that two of the smartest guys, perhaps in NFL history, might have steered him away from Cleveland and to Kansas City.

We now have another benchmark to watch over the coming years.

Guest Masters
Question.....is it possible that Pioli without Belicheck wouldn't have been so hot??

I think so.

Well according to some Pioli is just a coffee fetcher for Belicheck, so did CLE really miss out? I am with you, I am not sold they did. Unfortunately we have to wait 9 months to find out.

Guest Masters
Shep, all you guys who want Aaron Curry, he will turn out just like Derrick Johnson, do you remember a few years back when everyone was all hyped on Derrick Johnson and the guys that were calling for Shawne Merriman were told that he will never be the player that Derrick Johnson would be, sounds like many people on this board when talking about Rey Rey

If the Browns make the mistake of drafting Aaron Curry you will see another Derrick Johnson

People found holes in Derrick Johnson's game. So far, guys like Mike Mayock can't find a hole in Curry's game. Johnson was also never a guy people said could play outside or inside in a 3-4. I think Rey from USC has a better chance of being a Derrick Johnson.

Guest Masters
Aloy, what good competition has Curry at Wake Forrest played against?

Every guy from Kiper to the other so called draft guru's were all claiming Derrick Johnson was going to be great, same guys were saying A.J. Hawk would be great

Other than Ray Lewis and Urlacher years ago how many inside linebackers are game changing players

Actually guys like Mike Mayock were saying Derrick Johnson had all kinds of holes in his game and didn't jump out.

I believe you are the TROLL, 500+ post in 3 months....Nothing better do do fella?

You came to this board acting like you are a expert on everything, you have all the answers, I did not know Youngstown had a guy who proclaims to be a better sports writer than Grossi, a better coach than Belichek and a better GM than Polian.

Now get a life Ytown, not one of your predictions have come close to being correct

Pioli was the best guy out there and as usual we settle for a head coach with a losing record in 3 season whose team spent millions of dollars on Free Agents and CHOKED at the end of the season, but according to you he was the best available coach.

FYI, Only 8 coaches have been hired shortly after they were fired from there previous job and only 2 Sid Gillman-Chargers and Bob McMillen-Eagles had winning recoreds at their 2nd job, so stop trying to compare this to Belichek leaving the Browns.

We saw how great Randy Lerner selects coaches and GM with Crennel and Savage.....Great track record for Lerner

Where are all the guys who wanted a coach with a aggressive D, well you sure ain't getting that with Mangini, we are getting Romeo #2 another fat guy with a passive defense and no emotions on the sidelines

First, I have been on here for years, my ID got messed up when the board changed.

Second, with your halfass opinions, you certainly aren't an expert.

Third, your opinions about who is good and who isn't are just that, your opinions. If they wereas good as you think, you would be interviewing for some of these jobs.

The only thing I am is a blog poster with an opinion. So, you can kiss my ass if you don't like it. Pioli was the best guy out there in your opinion and we know that isn't worth shit. Time will tell who made the right decisions, until then F**k off.

First, I have been on here for years, my ID got messed up when the board changed.

Second, with your halfass opinions, you certainly aren't an expert.

Third, your opinions about who is good and who isn't are just that, your opinions. If they wereas good as you think, you would be interviewing for some of these jobs.

The only thing I am is a blog poster with an opinion. So, you can kiss my ass if you don't like it. Pioli was the best guy out there in your opinion and we know that isn't worth shit. Time will tell who made the right decisions, until then F**k off.

So far you are hitting 0% on all your predictions

So you want to tell us what next going to happen so you can be wrong once again ......LOL

Are all the people in Youngstown kinda slow and always wrong like you.......

Btw, stop getting upset and using profanity, there are children reading this board

What's this "only a few coaches being hired "shortly" after being fired were every successful" bullshit?

Care to be a little bit more specific than "shortly"?

And that's a great criteria to go by. "Well nobody else has done this before, so there's no way imaginable that we can do it"

Speaking of Lerner's track record, he's hired exactly 1 coach and 1 GM. What kind of track is that? One length?

There have been 8 coaches in the history of the NFL who have been rehired by another team for the next season after they were fired, of those 8 coaches who have been hired by their new team for his 2nd job, ONLY 2 COACHES HAVE HAD A WINNING RECORD in their 2nd job, which was Sid Gillman-Chargers and Bob McMillen-Eagles.

I mention this because everyone wants to say the Browns have done research on coaches who get their 2nd job, what they fail to tell you is that guys who got a 2nd chance only succeeded after being away from their 1st job for more than 1 season, the 8 coaches who were immediately hired to new jobs only 2 were a success with winning records, the other 6 had losing records at there 2nd job.

There have been 8 coaches in the history of the NFL who have been rehired by another team for the next season after they were fired, of those 8 coaches who have been hired by their new team for his 2nd job, ONLY 2 COACHES HAVE HAD A WINNING RECORD in their 2nd job, which was Sid Gillman-Chargers and Bob McMillen-Eagles.

I mention this because everyone wants to say the Browns have done research on coaches who get their 2nd job, what they fail to tell you is that guys who got a 2nd chance only succeeded after being away from their 1st job for more than 1 season, the 8 coaches who were immediately hired to new jobs only 2 were a success with winning records, the other 6 had losing records at there 2nd job.

Good post.....Plus, we know how horrible all those first time coaches are...Brown, Lombardi, Landry, Stram, Allen, Madden, Ewbank, Shula, Parcels, Flores, Knoll, Walsh, Holmegran, Reid...The list goes on and on.

Because Belicheck and Coughlin has had success with their second team everyone jumps on that bandwagon that a coach needs to be on his second job to be succussful.

Schottenheimer from Cle to KC doesn't count?

Good post.....Plus, we know how horrible all those first time coaches are...Brown, Lombardi, Landry, Stram, Allen, Madden, Ewbank, Shula, Parcels, Flores, Knoll, Walsh, Holmegran, Reid...The list goes on and on.

Because Belicheck and Coughlin has had success with their second team everyone jumps on that bandwagon that a coach needs to be on his second job to be succussful.

I'm moving Shula from your first time list to the second job list since he didn't win a superbowl with Baltimore, but he did with the Dolphins.

Also you forgot:

Dungy

Gruden

Vermeil

Shanahan

all recent superbowl winners

I'm moving Shula from your first time list to the second job list since he didn't win a superbowl with Baltimore, but he did with the Dolphins.

Also you forgot:

Dungy

Gruden

Vermeil

Shanahan

This is about coaches who were FIRED and then rehired in less than ONE YEAR away from the job who had a losing record at there 1st job like Mangini with the Jets had a losing record.

Dungy, Gruden, Vermeil and Shanahan did not have losing records when they were rehired the 2nd time

Also you forgot:

Dungy

Gruden

Vermeil

Shanahan

It's not about winning Super bowls exactly. It's about being a great coach. Shula was a great coach in his first job with the Colts. His Colts teams broke many NFL and club records while he was the HC.

What's this "only a few coaches being hired "shortly" after being fired were every successful" bullshit?

Care to be a little bit more specific than "shortly"?

And that's a great criteria to go by. "Well nobody else has done this before, so there's no way imaginable that we can do it"

Speaking of Lerner's track record, he's hired exactly 1 coach and 1 GM. What kind of track is that? One length?

The following coaches were rehired to a new head coaching job shortly after being fired as a head coach

1. Herm Edwards - Jets, losing record in NY, losing record with the Chiefs - 2006 to Present

2. Ray Rhodes - Eagles, losing record in PHL, losing record when fired by the Packers

3. Sam Wyche - Losing record with Bengals, losing record when fired by Tampa Bay

4. Jack Pardee - losing record with Bears, losing record when fired with Redskins

5. Sid Gillman - losing record with Rams.....winning record with the Chargers

6. Bo McMillen - losing record with Lions......won only 2 games with Eagles

7. Eric Mangini - losing record with Jets.....To be determined with Browns

So far you are hitting 0% on all your predictions

So you want to tell us what next going to happen so you can be wrong once again ......LOL

Are all the people in Youngstown kinda slow and always wrong like you.......

Btw, stop getting upset and using profanity, there are children reading this board

You are so pathetic that you need to keep track of my posts and you call someone else a troll. You are like a stalker, upset because everyone won't play nice with you. That's a real original low blow about Youngstown. You are so cool. That is a great comeback for someone living in mom's basement. I'm currently ambulatory, so I don't have much else to do, but you pencildick are just a uninformed douchebag who thinks his opinion is really better then anyone elses on here. I have forgot more about football then you will ever know. Your posts are a joke. I could name drop, but then again, who needs to impress someone as pathetic as you. It's only a website and you get your panties all twisted. Grow up asshole.

My wrong prediction was Pioli having enough balls to break away from Belichick's shirt tails. Know, let's see if he is a real GM or a coffee fetcher. Opinions on things like FA and the draft or how a guy will do in the NFL aren't usually counted a wrong until they happen.

So, asswipe, time for you to get a life and worry about your own pathetic posts instead of others.

Lane Kiffin

Mike Tice

Mike Nolan

Scott Linehan

Cam Cameron

Dick LeBeau

Romeo Crennel

Mike Sherman

Mike Martz

Mike Mularkey

Steve Mariucci

Bill Callahan