THE BROWNS BOARD

Chud not San Francisco bound

Guest mz.

The Niners are offering their OC gig to Scott Linehan. Maybe now they'll be more inclined to add DA, though Linehan showed he didn't really like big, dumb QBs as evidenced in his treatment of Marc Bulger.

via here.

Guest Aloysius

I don't see SF as a potential landing spot for DA. Singletary wants to establish a pound the rock, play good defense identity for his squad. In my mind, that means filling holes at RT, FS, and OLB, not giving up a pick for DA.

And Shaun Hill helped Singletary drop the interim from his job title. Like Takeo Spikes, he's a veteran leader who's earned the right to start next year. Hill's reportedly won over the locker room with his strong work ethic and humble personality. Adding DA could screw things up.

Unless they fall in love with Mark Sanchez, I think Hill is their starting QB.

Guest Aloysius

It's not so clear:

Q: What do you think this team’s top personnel needs are?

SINGLETARY: I definitely think we need to add another quarterback. I think we need to add a tackle or an offensive lineman, guard or a tackle.

Think on the defensive side of the ball, we definitely need a passrusher. You never have enough of those. A couple of those guys would be great.

Possibly a safety. Our guys have done a good job, but going forward, may want to get a safety that has some range or what have you. Generally, that’s a good place to start right now.

Q: You mentioned quarterback. Where does Shaun Hill fit in that? Does he go into training camp competing for a spot? Possibly as the starter?

SINGLETARY: We’ll see going forward. I’m not prepared to say right now whether Shaun Hill would go into training camp as a starter or what have you. Depends on what we do this off-season. But I would think right now, whoever we bring in here, and I told Shaun Hill this, ‘You’re going to compete. You’re going to compete.’

And there was this a couple weeks ago:

The Niners players also love QB Shaun Hill, who replaced the struggling J.T. O’Sullivan in the second half of Singletary’s debut as the head coach and has been doing an excellent job ever since.

“If he can keep it up, I think they’ve found their guy,” the insider said of Shaun Hill. “The fact he has a passer rating over 90 (95.5) is remarkable. I don’t know, maybe it’s because he throws such an ugly pass, but he is really under the radar. If Alex Smith was doing what he’s been doing, they would be talking him up like Matt Ryan in Atlanta.

“He takes practice so seriously, and the offensive line really appreciates his toughness and his ability to slide away and avoid pressure. And he’s so humble and unassuming in the locker room.”

i live in the bay area and watched the niners a lot this season because my girlfriend's a fan, and i've gotta say that shaun hill looked good for the most part, definitely better than j.t. o'sullivan did during the first half of the season.

however, he's far from a franchise QB; he played half a season and put up 13 TDs (a few of which were because of great plays by jason hill and josh morgan) but also tossed 8 picks while being sacked 23 times.

his 5-3 record is a bit deceiving; in his five wins, he beat the rams twice, the jets during their epic collapse, the bills after their season had imploded and the redskins after they'd been eliminated from playoff contention in week 17. however, in only one of his starts, a win against the rams, did hill throw more picks (3) than TDs (2).

he throws a decent deep ball, will stand under pressure to make a play and has good touch on short routes. he is, at times, erratic and will skip short balls that he should complete or overthrow routes like deep outs or posts. if those throws don't sail out of bounds, they're sometimes easy picks for safeties. it's very much a mixed bag; he shows the arms strength and touch to complete just about every pass, but is mildly inconsistent (he still completed better than 62% of his passes). i'd say jake delhomme before his five-pick meltdown is an accurate comparison.

hill doesn't win games on his own and is likely a backup/placeholder, albeit an exceptional one, though teams now have film on him and can break down his tendencies and exploit his weaknesses.

a lot of mocks had the niners taking taylor mays. we know that's not happening now. they don't particularly have a need at WR, are solid at TE and RB. they can find o-linemen in later rounds, especially after trading a first a couple of years ago to get joe staley, their LT. their offense, for the most part, is solid. look for them to target o-linemen in later rounds and to possibly go QB in the first. hill could likely have a decent year while a rookie gets some bench time for seasoning.

on defense, they signed justin smith last year who worked out surprisingly well with 73 tackles, a fumble forced, a pick and seven sacks while playing both DE and OLB in their 3-4, and they spent their first rounder last year on kentwan balmer, a college DT that they moved to 3-4 DE who underperformed basically the entire year by posting seven total tackles and makes corey williams look like the steal of the century by comparison.

like every non-raven or steeler team running the 3-4, they could use a couple of extra linebackers to solidify their pass rush. manny lawson hasn't transitioned particularly well to the NFL despite his freakish athleticism, and posted only 45 tackles with three sacks despite playing in fourteen games last year.

safety, however, is the niners' biggest weakness. i can't remember any of their safeties except michael lewis, and i only remember him because he regularly got trounced anytime he was in coverage.

with mays out of the draft, expect for the niners to look for a pass rusher in the first and hope that partick chung falls to them in the second. there's an outside chance that they could look at william moore, but they already have at least one safety who can't cover and i doubt they'd want to add a second, no matter how hard of a hitter he is.

availability will dictate their picks. because pass rushers go high, they'll need to take one at ten if they can and hope they can solidify their back four in the second while bolstering their o-line in the third and fourth in the event that they don't add a QB in the first, an option that's a definite possibility.

Guest Aloysius

Thanks for the info, JD.

Hill definitely isn't a long-term solution. But I don't think SF would trade for DA so they can bench the guy who was an effective game manager for them this year.

As I said, Sanchez could change things.

It should be interesting to see if the Niners consider going d-line in Round 1. Though their run defense ranked 13th last year, I'm not sure they pass up a potentially elite 3-4 NT like B.J. Raji.

I guess it depends on whether they deem any of the available 3-4 OLB's worthy of a top 10 pick.

Thanks for the info, JD.

Hill definitely isn't a long-term solution. But I don't think SF would trade for DA so they can bench the guy who was an effective game manager for them this year.

As I said, Sanchez could change things.

It should be interesting to see if the Niners consider going d-line in Round 1. Though their run defense ranked 13th last year, I'm not sure they pass up a potentially elite 3-4 NT like B.J. Raji.

I guess it depends on whether they deem any of the available 3-4 OLB's worthy of a top 10 pick.

you'd have to think that they'd snatch up orakpo in the unlikely event he were to fall to them.

Guest Aloysius

If he looks good in linebacker drills, that'd make sense.

The only concern I'd have is that'd leave them with two OLB's who will likely struggle in coverage (Haralson being the other one).

I think SF has said quarterback is definitely a position to look at for a new starter.

I could definitely see Mark Sanchez there at #10.

I think SF may be willing to trade up to get Sanchez. Lions and KC both are looking QB and I would believe Minn would like to trade up to get one also. Minn is a QB away from the playoffs, as is chicago.

Archived