THE BROWNS BOARD

T Sizzle

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Gutsy performance by Terrell Suggs tonight. He had 8 sacks during the regular season and added another 4 during the playoffs.

Also, his two sacks tonight get him up to 10 career against the Steelers.

Looks like he's set for a Dwight Freeney-type payday this offseason. But considering our incredibly inept pass rush, he'd probably be worth it.

Let's pay him so he can gild all of his GI Joes.

i'd take either him or peppers and don't particularly care how much money we ened to throw at them to get them to come.

while peppers is huge for a 3-4 OLB at 6'7" and 283, he's got the athletic ability to do it, and could also likely play DE in the 3-4 at times. however, he'd be more than dominant as and OLB, and it seems that's where he'd want to play.

either way, i'd be happy. i wasn't sold on suggs before this game, but after seeing him play hurt, and especially that play where he blew by the steelers' from a 3-man line, i think he's more than got what it takes to have success outside of baltimore.

his one downside is that he's one of the ugliest people on the planet. he should wear a helmet ALL THE TIME.

I love the idea of Suggs or Peppers. They both bring something we desperately need.

his one downside is that he's one of the ugliest people on the planet. he should wear a helmet ALL THE TIME.

He's ugly, but not Darryl Talley-ugly.

talley.jpg

Guest Aloysius

One of the things that really appeals to me about Suggs is that people in Baltimore are talking about how he's finally rounded into a complete 3-4 OLB.

For instance, check out this PFW report:

Something else that might catch the eye when looking back at this Ravens club: Its best pass rusher was also one of its better defenders vs. the pass.

In addition to notching eight sacks, Ravens ROLB Terrell Suggs defended nine passes, and he scored touchdowns on both of his interceptions in 2008.

In a recent interview with PFW, Suggs cited versatile ex-Ravens and current Patriots OLB Adalius Thomas as a player who significantly influenced his game.

“It all started with ‘AD,’ ” Suggs said. “He’s the complete linebacker. … He was just like, ‘You don’t want to be a pass rusher, because that limits what you can do.’ ”

Suggs credits several factors for his improvement in coverage, but one of the foremost reasons is the presence of Reed — and Suggs having an understanding of where the rangy, instinctive free safety is going to be on each and every play.

“All I’ve got to do in man-to-man,” Suggs noted, “is know where Ed Reed is and funnel (the receiver) to him.”

Suggs, 26, has been on a tear late in the season, notching at least a half-sack in six of his last seven games (including playoffs). In the divisional playoff win vs. the Titans, Suggs recorded five tackles and a sack before exiting with a shoulder injury. Suggs’ availability for the AFC title game was unclear at presstime, but according to The Baltimore Sun, Suggs indicated that he expected to play. Suggs has never missed a regular-season or postseason game.

Suggs, who’s had at least eight sacks in all but one of his six NFL seasons, feels as if he has room to grow as a pass rusher, noting he has more vigorously worked on other parts of his game.

“I haven’t peaked yet,” Suggs said. “I really want to master it. You’ve got to give a little to get a little.”

As much as I'd love to see a guy like that here, call me crazy but I'm against spending that kind of cash.

We need to start getting guys like this through the draft and start suplamenting the rest of the team with low priced FAs that fill niches or else we're going to find ourselves in cap hell, then have to gut and start over.

Would he make a great addition?

Hell yes!

Would I love to see him here?

Yes.

But I wouldn't like to see him here at the cost of the future of the franchise.

As much as I'd love to see a guy like that here, call me crazy but I'm against spending that kind of cash.

We need to start getting guys like this through the draft and start suplamenting the rest of the team with low priced FAs that fill niches or else we're going to find ourselves in cap hell, then have to gut and start over.

Hell yes!

Yes.

It takes cash to get a guy like him ..Browns are too close to the CAP to get a franchise player at this time ..Mortgaging your future for one player (outside a QB) is usually not the way to build a consistent winner

Guest Aloysius

Hell yes!

Yes.

I definitely understand your perspective. For weeks, I've been going back and forth on this.

If the question's whether Suggs is worth a 6 year, $72M deal, I think the answer is definitely yes. I don't think Indy is upset they gave Dwight Freeney that much. Or - in a similar situation to our's - the Vikings aren't disappointed in the production they got from Jared Allen (14.5 sacks).

But there is the question you raise about whether we can afford it. It's really hard to tell; my guesstimation is that we might be able to, but it'd limit us to a one FA offseason - the other guys we'd end up signing would be guys languishing at the bottom of other team's rosters, not priority (or even midlevel) FA's. But with his history in pro personnel scouting, maybe Kokinis could find us some Jim Leonhard-like steals...

And there's my frustration that we might not be able to afford Suggs because we gave Corey Williams 6 years, $38.5M. If we can't sign Suggs because of that deal, it may end up being one of Phil Savage's biggest mistakes.

Gutsy performance by Terrell Suggs tonight. He had 8 sacks during the regular season and added another 4 during the playoffs.

Looks like he's set for a Dwight Freeney-type payday this offseason. But considering our incredibly inept pass rush, he'd probably be worth it.

he is a Beast.... I hope you guys DONT Go after him...lol.

No surprise here, I am 100% for signing Suggs. He would transform our defense completely, even if only by drawing double teams constantly. He is young, relatively healthy, productive, and we'd be stealing from the rats. I love it. I would be solidly behind Kok if he could bring Suggs over from Balt.

As for the cap, I honestly dont believe that our situation is as tight as advertised. A quick look back at last year shows that Savage is more clever with the cap than he gets credit for and that early projections of our cap can be wildly off base. We were projected to have only $16 million in space last year. (http://cle.scout.com/2/741502.html) Anyone notice any restraint at all in signing free agents?

If he is getable, we need to get him. The only barrier I see is if the Rats franchise him and then look to trade him out of division. Of course, an overpriced contract offer from us could get him to veto that move (unless it's AZ perhaps).

I definitely understand your perspective. For weeks, I've been going back and forth on this.

If the question's whether Suggs is worth a 6 year, $72M deal, I think the answer is definitely yes. I don't think Indy is upset they gave Dwight Freeney that much. Or - in a similar situation to our's - the Vikings aren't disappointed in the production they got from Jared Allen (14.5 sacks).

But there is the question you raise about whether we can afford it. It's really hard to tell; my guesstimation is that we might be able to, but it'd limit us to a one FA offseason - the other guys we'd end up signing would be guys languishing at the bottom of other team's rosters, not priority (or even midlevel) FA's. But with his history in pro personnel scouting, maybe Kokinis could find us some Jim Leonhard-like steals...

And there's my frustration that we might not be able to afford Suggs because we gave Corey Williams 6 years, $38.5M. If we can't sign Suggs because of that deal, it may end up being one of Phil Savage's biggest mistakes.

Only guaranteed portions of contracts are worth looking at in the NFL. They can give someone 5 years and $100mil and it doesn't mean anything unless a big hunk is guaranteed. Also, even if a good portion is guaranteed it depends on how the contract is structured.

The singing of Williams won't have any effect on Suggs looking at Cleveland, but Rex Ryan in New York will.

Guest Aloysius

No way the Jets can afford Suggs. Calvin Pace is signed for 6 years, $42M ($11M signing bonus), Gholston's signed for 5 years, $32.5M ($21M guaranteed), and Bryan Thomas is playing on a 5 year, $25M deal.

They can't afford another edge rusher.

Guest Aloysius

And according to rotoworld, Corey Williams' contract included a $6.5M signing and $16.3M in "guarantees" - I think we had a debate a couple weeks ago if that number includes non-guaranteed roster bonuses.

Guest Ghoolie

He wouldn't come to Cleveland and besides, we don't have a General Manager.

Archived