THE BROWNS BOARD

The Official We Officially Signed Paul Kruger Thread

Zombo

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=14081

The first free agent signed in the Jimmy Haslam-Joe Banner-Mike Lombardi era is former Baltimore pass rusher Paul Kruger.

Kruger agreed to a contract shortly after the NFL free agent signing period kicked off at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

The deal is believed to be for five years at roughly $40 million, according to reports. Kruger made $615,000 in the last year of his original four-year deal with Baltimore last year.

Kruger, 27, will be one of the cornerstone pass rushers in coordinator Ray Horton’s 3-4, “multi-front” defensive scheme.

In his first year of extended play time in four NFL seasons, Kruger led the Ravens with nine sacks in the regular season. He added 4.5 in four postseason games, helping the Ravens to the Super Bowl championship. Kruger had two sacks of San Francisco QB Colin Kaepernick in their 34-31 Super Bowl win.

Kruger was a liability against the run, however, and made only five starts in 15 games active last year. He started both at defensive end and outside linebacker. It's likely he would have the same versatile role in Horton's defense.

Two interesting facts about Kruger that I was not aware of.

1st is that he was stabbed in the stomach his last year in Utah while his brother was there for a college visit. Almost died.

2nd is that he had a back injury that he played through during the first half of the season last year. People like to mention he only had 1.5 sacks when Suggs was out, but no one mentions that he also played through back issues that whole time either.

Good news.....I think

I hope he isn't a major liability against the rush, but no doubt we needed the ability to pressure the QB, so this is a good first step. I hope we make a few more over the next several days.

If we fill some needs in free agency, it opens our options in the draft. It makes it a whole lot better if can enter the draft without being pressured to fill some needs and have the option of selecting better players.

In the long run you end up better doing that.

I think we overpayed for an average LB but hes an upgrade. Lets hope we left an opening to get out after year 2 of the deal. The big prize would be Cook today on offense and a good CB.

everybody was expecting 10 or 11 I think 8 a year is pretty darn good

47 million cap - 8 mill per season for Kruger... roughly 39 million left to sign guys. Let's get that Cornerback to go with Haden now and we're looking really good.

I honestly thought it was going to be an easy 10 mil/ year purchase for someone to get him. Lets go after ellerbe to put next to Jackson

Ellerbe went to the fish

Baltimore down 3 linebackers now tough to replace that.

Krueger was signed by urban myer out of high school as a quarterback.

I'm not a fan of Kruger, but I am happy the Browns went out and got one of the premier players. I was reading up advanced stats on Kruger and apparently he is awful vs the run, which is odd given his frame. However, he graded out as top 3-4 OLB in Pressures/Hits/Sacks.

I'm not a fan of Kruger, but I am happy the Browns went out and got one of the premier players. I was reading up advanced stats on Kruger and apparently he is awful vs the run, which is odd given his frame. However, he graded out as top 3-4 OLB in Pressures/Hits/Sacks.

Which is exactly what we need. A gstrong pass rush benefits everybody on the defensе.

i never thought i'd agree with rich but this guy better be on the field for 80% of the defensive plays in order for me to think it was a good signing.

everyone thinks he was a dominate pass rusher...yeah in the last 4 games of the year coming in on 3rd down.

better step up and be the man to make it in the eye's of cleveland fans.

Being a ravens fan today must be a little hard .The first day of FA they lost six players . Witch brings up the question of "why the hell did they sign Flacco at that amount . ether there in for a rebuild and counting on flacco or that was the biggest bonehead move they ever made .

The truth is the North Is now up for grabs , Cinci will be Ok ,Pitts got problems and Baltimore may be in for a long season this year .

Next the Offense . Wallace is gone and some of the other have signed with there teams so , The browns may have to settle with a guy with a little age or to much youth .But that's a different topic .

This line has got to get football fans excited .

joe flacco has got to feel like the biggest piece of shit right now. yeah a richpiece of shit BUT he just threw the weight of the team's future on his back.

he might have single-handedly won the super bowl for them last year (maybe) but what is for sure is he set his team back 5 years just so he could get paid. he could've helped the team by structuring a contract in a way that would have helped ozzie sign a couple of players that they needed to keep.

the dude will get brutalized by fans next year knowing this and seeing the quality of play w/o receivers and their defense depleted.

it's gonna be an ugly scene.

HA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

47 million cap - 8 mill per season for Kruger... roughly 39 million left to sign guys. Let's get that Cornerback to go with Haden now and we're looking really good.

FYI, they will need about 10 million of that to sign their draft choices and any UFAs they may sign...including "taxi squad" guys. So you really have to look at it as only 29 million....and they have spent some of that on Bryant and Groves.

Archived