THE BROWNS BOARD

Victor Butler Official Thread

Zombo

Cleveland Browns still hosting LB Victor Butler today, giving him physical

Victor Butler (Photo by AP)

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Former Cowboys linebacker Victor Butler is still in Cleveland visiting with the Browns today and taking his physical, a source said. He arrived in town Sunday night.

There aren't expected to be any issues with the physical.

The Browns have had their eye on Butler, 25, since the start of free agency, but their first priorities were to sign pass rushers Paul Kruger of the Ravens and Desmond Bryant of the Raiders.

Butler (6-2, 245) first visited the Steelers and then headed to New Orleans, where the Saints were determined to sign him. But after two days, he left Friday without a deal and set up his visit with the Browns. The Saints lost out to the Browns on Kruger at the start of free agency, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Butler played 3-4 outside linebacker in Dallas under former Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, and all three teams interested in him play 3-4 fronts.

Playing behind stars DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer the past four seasons, Butler recorded 11 sacks, including three last season. In Cleveland, he would challenge for a starting outside spot opposite Kruger and be an integral part of the Browns' attack-minded scheme.

The Browns are hoping Chris Gocong can come back strong for his torn Achilles' tendon, but aren't sure yet how soon he'll be 100 percent.

Butler was the seventh-best 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL last season, according to profootballfocus.com, a notch below Kruger. His rush skills were ranked ninth and his coverage skills 29th.

sign him we need the depth.

25 years old and 11 sacks already in a reserve role ... why not?

Between him and Sheard and Kruger, I think we can keep rotating fresh pass rushing legs on the outside.

Plus you've got Groves as depth inside. I think if Gocong comes back it is in the inside along DQ.

Zombo

The Browns are hoping Chris Gocong can come back strong for his torn Achilles' tendon, but aren't sure yet how soon he'll be 100 percent.

fuck gocong, he blows.

sign him we need the depth.

yes.

sounds like more and more we're going offense with the sixth pick. I don't mean to start stuff here but my bet is we're in serious play for Geno Smith.

no.

Archived