THE BROWNS BOARD

Mythbusters - The Browns Rush Defense Sucks!

WPB Dawg Fan

Well, don't get me wrong here....I am not saying that it is GREAT! But the myth that the rush defense is terrible is just that...a MYTH!!!

The Browns have faced the #1, #2, #5, and #10 rated rush offense so far this year. No other team has come close to facing that. We did have some major problems with our defense in game #1 vs the Cowboys...but since then...

Pittsburgh averages 107.3 per game, we gave up 117

Baltimore averages 142.4 per game, we gave up 151

Cincinnati averages 77.9 per game, we gave up 69

NY Giants average 157.3 per game, we gave up 181 (most of it late in cleanup time)

Washington averages 155.2 per game, we gave up 193 (BAD GAME)

Jacksonville averages 116.0 per game, we gave up 113 (59 to scrambles by the QB)

So, we have had 2 bad games vs. the rush...the rest were solid...and either at or near what the team we faced has averaged.

In fact, outside of the NFC East teams, we have held every team to below their average in either TOTAL YARDS, AVERAGE PER CARRY, OR BOTH!!!

So before you sit and whine about how our TERRIBLE D is affecting outcomes of the game...use a little context of the quality of the rushing games they have faced.

NY Giants average 157.3 per game, we gave up 181 (most of it late in cleanup time)

Late in cleanup time?

Yeah like the Giants were trying to grind out yards on the ground in the 4th qtr when they were down by 2 TDs?

WPB, if you don't remember how the game went, don't bother trying to make assumptions.

Late in cleanup time?

Yeah like the Giants were trying to grind out yards on the ground in the 4th qtr when they were down by 2 TDs?

WPB, if you don't remember how the game went, don't bother trying to make assumptions.

Yeah dimwit....late in cleanup time...in other words we had a HUGE lead and were just protecting against the BIG PASS PLAY and so they got some big runs at the end....go watch the freakin' film before making comments!!!

WPB

and understand I agree with you on the over all point.

But let me ask you this. are you taking those teams over all averages pergames INCLUDING the games we faced them in?

Because then the data would be skewed by the yards our defense gave them. To be a true analysis of our defense, you would have calculate the yards per game they have gained in all the other games BESIDES ours. then compare to what we gave up...

Just a thought. I think the stats will still play out to make your over all point.

I took the Browns numbers out before this...knowing how people would react. The averages I posted for the teams are WITHOUT Browns numbers.

Late in cleanup time?

Again, we watch the games when you're out there logging or whatever the fook it is you mountain boys do. NY ran the shit out of the ball late on draws and misdirections after the game was well in hand.

See, what happens is teams play a form of prevent when they're up by 21 points or so. They don't mind giving up chunks of yardage because the clock keeps ticking. This is one of those rules you may want to acquaint yourself with in the NFL, it's not like in college when your beloved Beavers get a first down occasionally and the clock stops.

Good to see you still working at it, I was beginning to think you lost your touch. Keep this up and we maybe we'll see another ode to your loved one in lyrics.

Archived