THE BROWNS BOARD

T-Rich Ready To Roll

Zombo

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Trent Richardson has been sprinting pain-free, is 100 percent healthy and expects to be ready for the start of Browns training camp next week.

"I have no pain at all in the leg,'' he said by phone before a Tuesday pool workout in Pensacola, Fla. "I'll be ready for camp and I'll be ready to go for the season."

Richardson, who sat out the mandatory June minicamp and the final week of organized team activities with a muscle strain in his right shin, said he won't miss a beat when training camp opens July 25 with a 4 p.m. practice.

"I'll be full-go right from the get-go and y'all out there will see me flying around," he said. "I can't wait to get out there and I can't wait for the first game. I've been waiting forever for this season and I know it's going to be a good one for us.''

Richardson began his running program June 24 in Pensacola, running two days in the water to every one on land. But recently, he's kicked it up to two days on land, two days in the water.

"I've been doing sprints, a lot of plyometrics (jump-training) and a lot of quick-twitch work," he said. "It's a lot of muscle-memory stuff designed to get the explosion back."

Richardson is particularly excited about his first healthy NFL preseason. A year ago, his arthroscopically-repaired knee was hurting right from the start, and had to have it cleaned again Aug. 9, which kept him out of all four preseason games.

"I'm going to be out there in camp having fun this time," he said. "My knee's not hurting. Last year, I was pretty banged up coming into the camp and I didn't even know it. When I was walking, my leg, sometimes it just wouldn't catch and so it kind of gave out on me. This will be the first time I'm going into an NFL with no surgeries or anything like that.''

Richardson said sitting out last month was precautionary.

"Coach (Rob Chudzinski) is smart and he's going to make the best decision," said Richardson. "If he tells me to sit down and rest up, I'm going to sit down. It was the off-season, and there was no reason to take it that far and hurt yourself real bad.''

Richardson rushed for 950 yards and 11 TDs last season, despite sitting out the final game and playing most of the season with broken ribs. He said he learned the hard way not to push it.

"Everybody knows me," he said. "I played the whole season with broken ribs and nobody even knew it. I ran for the first time on the Thursday before the season started and I played on Sunday without making any cuts or anything. So that tells you a lot about my character, as far as me being strong-minded and willing to play hurt.''

Richardson will report at his prescribed weight of 225, down about seven pounds from last season.

"I really couldn't run that much last year to keep the weight down,'' he said. "Your ribs are connected to everything, so I really couldn't run full speed. But now I can, and the system that we're running with coach Chudzinski and coach (Norv) Turner makes you believe in yourself, too.''

Richardson said he was "average" in his rookie season, which resulted in a 3.6-yard rushing average.

"When you look at first downs and (11) touchdowns and things like that, you can't compare me to what a lot of other guys did last year," he said.

On Tuesday, Richardson conducted a free football camp for 350 kids at his alma mater, Escambia High. He's also spent a lot of time with another Escambia alum, Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, who won the rushing title three times under Turner in Dallas.

"Just being able to learn from him is more than than I can ask for,'' said Richardson. "He's still the NFL's all-time leading rusher right now until somebody goes and gets him. One day, hopefully I'll be the one to go get him.''

Sprinting pain-free is a good place to start.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/07/cleveland_browns_trent_richard_28.html#incart_m-rpt-1

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Trent Richardson has been sprinting pain-free, is 100 percent healthy and expects to be ready for the start of Browns training camp next week.

"I have no pain at all in the leg,'' he said by phone before a Tuesday pool workout in Pensacola, Fla. "I'll be ready for camp and I'll be ready to go for the season."

Richardson, who sat out the mandatory June minicamp and the final week of organized team activities with a muscle strain in his right shin, said he won't miss a beat when training camp opens July 25 with a 4 p.m. practice.

"I'll be full-go right from the get-go and y'all out there will see me flying around," he said. "I can't wait to get out there and I can't wait for the first game. I've been waiting forever for this season and I know it's going to be a good one for us.''

Richardson began his running program June 24 in Pensacola, running two days in the water to every one on land. But recently, he's kicked it up to two days on land, two days in the water.

"I've been doing sprints, a lot of plyometrics (jump-training) and a lot of quick-twitch work," he said. "It's a lot of muscle-memory stuff designed to get the explosion back."

Richardson is particularly excited about his first healthy NFL preseason. A year ago, his arthroscopically-repaired knee was hurting right from the start, and had to have it cleaned again Aug. 9, which kept him out of all four preseason games.

"I'm going to be out there in camp having fun this time," he said. "My knee's not hurting. Last year, I was pretty banged up coming into the camp and I didn't even know it. When I was walking, my leg, sometimes it just wouldn't catch and so it kind of gave out on me. This will be the first time I'm going into an NFL with no surgeries or anything like that.''

Richardson said sitting out last month was precautionary.

"Coach (Rob Chudzinski) is smart and he's going to make the best decision," said Richardson. "If he tells me to sit down and rest up, I'm going to sit down. It was the off-season, and there was no reason to take it that far and hurt yourself real bad.''

Richardson rushed for 950 yards and 11 TDs last season, despite sitting out the final game and playing most of the season with broken ribs. He said he learned the hard way not to push it.

"Everybody knows me," he said. "I played the whole season with broken ribs and nobody even knew it. I ran for the first time on the Thursday before the season started and I played on Sunday without making any cuts or anything. So that tells you a lot about my character, as far as me being strong-minded and willing to play hurt.''

Richardson will report at his prescribed weight of 225, down about seven pounds from last season.

"I really couldn't run that much last year to keep the weight down,'' he said. "Your ribs are connected to everything, so I really couldn't run full speed. But now I can, and the system that we're running with coach Chudzinski and coach (Norv) Turner makes you believe in yourself, too.''

Richardson said he was "average" in his rookie season, which resulted in a 3.6-yard rushing average.

"When you look at first downs and (11) touchdowns and things like that, you can't compare me to what a lot of other guys did last year," he said.

On Tuesday, Richardson conducted a free football camp for 350 kids at his alma mater, Escambia High. He's also spent a lot of time with another Escambia alum, Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, who won the rushing title three times under Turner in Dallas.

"Just being able to learn from him is more than than I can ask for,'' said Richardson. "He's still the NFL's all-time leading rusher right now until somebody goes and gets him. One day, hopefully I'll be the one to go get him.''

Sprinting pain-free is a good place to start.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/07/cleveland_browns_trent_richard_28.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Hopefully that's the way he feels after contact starts. We need that weapon, including healthy backups.

We really, really need him to be a force early. Yes, it's a passing league and it's very tough to win games by running the ball and sustaining long drives (usually interrupted by an off-sides, holding, fumble, etc.). But with Gordon out, I do think we'll have to run the ball very well to set up play-action. Luring the safeties up might get a guy like Benjamin free downfield.

We built this defense to get after the passer which generally means you wanna take a lead, attack early with the pass. Good thing is, T-Rich is a good pass receiver (as are Dion Lewis and Obie-Won).

As I've said before, no matter how you feel about where he drafted yada yada he's the best overall offensive weapon on this team. I am really looking forward to seeing what these coaches do with him. Man football is so close I can taste it! Really wish I was in the area to see these guys in camp.

Browns averaged 85 rush yards/game in their 11 loses last year.

Averaged 125 rush yards/game in their 5 wins. Don't care who does it or how but if they could hit that 125 yards/game milestone, it

should translate to a team finishing the season a couple games above .500.....everything else staying the same.

They need a running back who can bust out first downs in the 4th quarter when Browns have the lead. Three times last season they

pissed away 4th quarter leads because they had to punt the ball away after their inability to mount sustained drives and use up the clock.

No doubt, it is a qb driven league but a solid running game can make a difference in shoring up a marginal passing offense.

wow. i though PoG would have been the first responder to this thread.

i wonder how pain free hardesty is running?

Hahaha! Yeah, I've been working a lot so haven't been able to get on or look at news lately. This IS GOOD news though. Man, I can't wait to see him 100%!

With a monster running the ball, a monster defense swarming the ball... we eat clock and keep them from scoring long enough for the Weeden to connect with the Weedlings to put up some points. Hopefully Gordon becomes the monster to take the top off the defense.

What I am hoping is that all the dancing up to the line last season was largely due to his broken ribs. I think most of us believe (especially PG) TR can be the best young back in the league, if he stays injury free. I think Gordon can be an even better weapon than TR If he pulls his head out of his ass

Archived