THE BROWNS BOARD

Greco Locked In

Zombo

Browns give OG John Greco five-year contract extension

Jul 23, 2013 -- 4:33pm

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

John-Greco-Getty.jpg

Photo/Getty

Offensive guard was thought to be one of the few starting positions up for grabs at Browns training camp. It appears the team has settled on one of those spots.

The Browns announced a five-year contract extension for John Greco on Tuesday.

Greco began last season as a valuable sixth man on the line, and then was pressed into service at left guard when Jason Pinkston contracted a blood clot. Greco started the last 10 games and did enough to impress the new coaching staff.

“John is a solid, all-around teammate, on and off the field,” coach Rob Chudzinski said in a statement. “He was given an opportunity to play last year and really showed well. He’s respected in the locker room for his approach, consistency and team-first attitude.”

The official Browns’ statement on the extension makes no mention of Greco nailing down a starting spot, and Chudziinski is not going to say it. But it’s not a stretch to say Greco is a huge favorite to win a job.

Greco was one of several veteran players whose contract was in its last season. Others include center Alex Mack, safety T.J. Ward, running back Montario Hardesty and linebacker Craig Robertson. It was a mild surprise that Greco would be the first to earn an extension under the Joe Banner regime.

Banner said, “One of our goals is whenever possible to develop and keep our own players. We’re glad in this case that it worked out, and was mutually beneficial.”

Greco joined the Browns in a trade with St. Louis prior to the 2011 season.

BTW, Sobo was asked why Greco first and not Mack. He answered that Greco has show the nasty physicality the team likes and they haven't seen that on film from Mack, more of a finesse player. They've asked him to play bigger and meaner this year.

i like it. if he starts next to Schwartz at RG, the right side could finally be a strength of the team. his experience would certainly be an asset there...in addition to his ability. i hope they do and keep Pinky next to Joe with SL backing them up (and hopefully making SL hungry, helping him to realize his true potential).

good move by B & L.

For a couple of guys who many, if not most claimed were fools, Banner and Lombo sure seem to be doing the right things.

Now as someone else mentioned, I'd really like to see them get Mack extended 4-5 years. Might as well start thinking about Joe Haden as well.

Haden, for sure. I'm not getting the sense they're as enamored with Mack. We had some problems up the middle on pass rushes and Mack has to take some of the blame.

Guards have to move in this blocking scheme and that just isn't Lauvao's strong suit. He was one of the worst pass blocking guards in the NFL, too. I could see Thomas-Pinkston-Mack-Greco-Schwartz as a long-term line.

Haden, for sure. I'm not getting the sense they're as enamored with Mack. We had some problems up the middle on pass rushes and Mack has to take some of the blame.

Guards have to move in this blocking scheme and that just isn't Lauvao's strong suit. He was one of the worst pass blocking guards in the NFL, too. I could see Thomas-Pinkston-Mack-Greco-Schwartz as a long-term line.

The OGs and the C are also primarily responsible for the push up the middle on running plays. I don't think our guys did a very good job of that last year.

Yeah, but in today's NFL with DCs like Horton enamored with pushing the pocket up the middle, they also have to pass block. It's a whole new ballgame.

But our play was definitely sketchy at guard. Seems like Lauvao is taking most of the heat for it right now.

Good deal and well deserved extension, but...

Still have room to improve line both in depth and starting talent.

The OGs and the C are also primarily responsible for the push up the middle on running plays.

Curious as to who are "secondarily responsible"? :P

Archived