THE BROWNS BOARD

O'Neil might be feeling some heat

JAFBF

According to Grossi, D Coordinator Jim O'Neil might be on the Hot Seat :

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=37831

A defensive update: Jim O’Neil is in his first season as an NFL defensive coordinator after rising under the wing of head coach Mike Pettine, starting with the New York Jets in 2009.

It’s far too early to characterize O’Neil as being “under fire.” But through three games the side of the ball for which he is responsible has underperformed. No one would argue with that.

On Thursday, O’Neil addressed issues that have lingered over the bye week since the team’s 23-21 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

* On ProFootballFocus.com’s ranking of Phil Taylor as 70th out of 72 defensive tackles and Ahtyba Rubin 50th out of 52 nose tackles:

“I don’t pay attention to that stuff. I pay attention to what our coaches say and what I see on film. If Phil or Rubes were playing like those guys are ranking them, they wouldn’t be playing for us.

“I think Phil’s having a good year. You can’t get caught up in the stats. If he’s being disruptive inside and not allowing balls to wind back in the run game because he’s getting penetration, or he’s eating two blocks at the point of attack so Karlos Dansby and Craig Robertson can be free over the top to get the tackle, that’s something that doesn’t show up on stats (but) he’s filling up his grade sheet with pluses. I’ve been happy with Phil.

“I still think (Rubin’s) one of the better run-stopping defensive tackles in the NFL. He does a real good job at the point of attack. Those guys have been pretty solid for us inside. Most of our issues have happened at other places in the defense. They’ve done a good job inside so far.”

Ummm . . . is he watching the same guys / Run D that I am?

I may just be a fan, but I'm not seeing these great Run D moves . . . . anyone else catching these?

Right now I'm thinking the guy's a bit delusional.

The Defense has been doing fine. It's allowed the offense to take control of the game and have a chance to win it in each and every game. The Offense stalled vs. Pit. Special Teams allowed a blocked field goal to decide the second game. The Defense and the Offense are getting in sync, it takes time- this unit and this scheme is only 3 games old. Wait until at least week 10 to form a judgment on the overall effectiveness of the units.

I'm sure Pettine is working with O'Neil, and he might be feeling some "heat", but probably as much self-induced as anything at this point.

Agree with Po's calm assessment at this time, but 29th against the run and 27th against the pass has to be improved upon during the coming "soft" patch in our schedule.

If we improve, then all is well.

If not, then... not...

I also agree with PG that it's too early to judge. Also, when was the last time we were still cheering for the Browns to win with less than 2 minutes to go in 3 straight games against the level of QBs we have faced?

Mike

letting 4th stringers go for 100 yds is indicative of serious problems. You could maybe let the Saints game slide cause you could argue they HAD to focus on getting to Brees. Same perhaps for the Steelers game although they didn't get to Ben like they did Drew. I'm still wondering why the fuck people are talking about our D line guys when it comes to the run. Yes they have a part in it but the main guys responsible for the Run are the ILB'ers. Why the fuck is nobody calling them out? I've now heard the D line and OLB'ers called out for run defense problems. I'm completely flummoxed by that.

I'm still wondering why the fuck people are talking about our D line guys when it comes to the run. Yes they have a part in it but the main guys responsible for the Run are the ILB'ers. Why the fuck is nobody calling them out? I've now heard the D line and OLB'ers called out for run defense problems. I'm completely flummoxed by that.

After reading the quoted section of your post... thrice... I know how you feel...

I'm sure Pettine is working with O'Neil, and he might be feeling some "heat", but probably as much self-induced as anything at this point.

Agree with Po's calm assessment at this time, but 29th against the run and 27th against the pass has to be improved upon during the coming "soft" patch in our schedule.

If we improve, then all is well.

If not, then... not...

I agree with the self induced theory....I think he was pretty confident coming out of camp and is feeling a bit surprised by the poor performance so far....

Well we did play three SB winning QBs, and all 3 games came down to the last tick. Let's beat fucking Jake Locker and go from there.

Z

Yep....and we DID make big defensive plays in situations where we "usually" wouldn't.....some 4th down stops, huge sack on Brees, pick 7, etc.....we should be able to rough up Locker ....let's hope they visit him in the backfield..... A LOT

I also agree with PG that it's too early to judge. Also, when was the last time we were still cheering for the Browns to win with less than 2 minutes to go in 3 straight games against the level of QBs we have faced?

Mike

We've been in every minute of every game so far.....our D has allowed a LOT of yards, but is a bit more stingy about points....

letting 4th stringers go for 100 yds is indicative of serious problems. You could maybe let the Saints game slide cause you could argue they HAD to focus on getting to Brees. Same perhaps for the Steelers game although they didn't get to Ben like they did Drew. I'm still wondering why the fuck people are talking about our D line guys when it comes to the run. Yes they have a part in it but the main guys responsible for the Run are the ILB'ers. Why the fuck is nobody calling them out? I've now heard the D line and OLB'ers called out for run defense problems. I'm completely flummoxed by that.

I do know we've given up some big yards on the outside because the OLB's are getting baited, then boxed in(too often).....allowing the RB's to get around the end......but interior issues can be on the ILB's or Safety......Though I think Dansby looks pretty good and am worried more about production from the Whitner/Robertson/Kirksey club....

This D was solid last year and seems like it's taken a step back. Time to show us that this scheme can get the job done.....and by more than 3 points.

In order for ILB to be able to stop the run, the DL first have to occupy blockers. If blockers consistently get to the second level then the ILB are screwed. The OLB should be called out because they consistently lose edge containment. I'm not saying the ILB are faultless, but their jobs depend a lot more on the DL doing their jobs.

The Run D is the highlight because it's the most obvious and what O'Neil focused on addressing - we're getting gashed up the middle as well as the sides.

We're also not getting the Pass Rush we were all expecting either, so between the Run/Pass this reflects pretty well on the play ratings of Rubin/Taylor.

Of course the LB's are part of the equation, but so are the DB's.

In short, most of our D needs to step up.

Hopefully, according to this we'll see some improvement :

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/8420/dc-jim-oneil-believes-trust-in-system-can-fix-defense

BEREA, Ohio -- Jim O’Neil broke down the Cleveland Browns run defense in every way he could during the bye week, and the team’s defensive coordinator said the struggles are because of different mistakes by different people.

The Browns are giving up 425 yards per game (30th in the league), 153.7 rushing (29th).

“It was good over the bye week to show the guys that if one guy breaks structure or one guy’s not getting his job done what can happen with explosive plays in the run and pass game,” O’Neil said on the day the Browns make their coordinators available. “Great defenses aren’t great because they have a bunch of great individual players -– they play great together and everybody gets their job done. It was good for the coaches to see it. It was good for the players to see it.”

If it were one guy or one call, it would be easier to identify -- and fix.

“You just don’t call that defense or you bench that one defensive player,” O’Neil said.

Thus the mantra O’Neil and head coach Mike Pettine have stressed to the team all week: Just do your job.

It's frustrating to see this Team with more talent than last year on D play worse than last year.

Yeah, it's a new system, but so was last year - plus last year we were transitioning from primarily 4-3 to 3-4.

DB rule changes?

Every Team is having to deal with that, I don't see the whole League collapsing defensively like we have.

We need a good showing from the D this week, I don't care who we're playing.

Archived