THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer is the reason this season is still in play

Clevfan4life

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoyer has been more than spectacular. We actually have a complete offense so far this year. With Gordon back and having the tall,fast WR threat we'd really be a force to be reckoned with.

Hoyer makes his throws based on his reads. Super quick release, pretty accurate, and he is an incredible game manager. Our two minute offense is always in sync. I like the fact that he can hit 4-5 guys on a single drive where weeden's mentality was just chuck it to gordon.

But for some reason they still talk about Manziel. The commentator suggested putting him in after the half, SMH

What kid?

I'm as big a Brian backer as he had here, back when Brian-backers' sanity was openly questioned, and "spectacular" would not make my list of adjectives for his play.

Precise... efficient... decisive... commanding...

Add that Brian has a lot of tools around him, mostly due to Farmer, and an OC with imagination and a sense of rhythm, and we have ourselves a solid offense.

I know this is hindsighting, and I usually abhor that....but still, even though I was ok with the Gilbert pick I really wanted Watkins or Mack.

Your abhorrence shows... If you're going to hindsight, do it right... or at least be consistent.

As much as you decry our D, you dream of Watkins? ;)

What kid?

I'm as big a Brian backer as he had here, back when Brian-backers' sanity was openly questioned, and "spectacular" would not make my list of adjectives for his play.

Precise... efficient... decisive... commanding...

Add that Brian has a lot of tools around him, mostly due to Farmer, and an OC with imagination and a sense of rhythm, and we have ourselves a solid offense.

Your abhorrence shows... If you're going to hindsight, do it right... or at least be consistent.

As much as you decry our D, you dream of Watkins? ;)

well I don't think any defensive rookie outside of Clowney, who we had no shot at anyway, would make a diff on this defense. I wanted Mack to sub in for the OLB'ers but also learn the ILB spot....he's doing good with Oakland I get it...but with Dansby playing this way I don't think it would be a good situation for any rookie. I just think Watkins would have made this offense at least twice as prolific. He's been playing really well for Buffalo from what I understand and he was catching for EJ Manuel and now Kyle Orton. I just think Hoyer is better than both of them, although Manuel is still young. Watkins and Gordon would have us in the playoff hunt imo, if Gordon was here now of course.

And if we had last year's offensive line last year's running game and Greg Little you guys would be calling for Brian Hoyers head on a stick.

One difference seems to be that last year's defense fell apart in the second half as opposed to this years which falls apart in the first half. I guess the second way is better...

WSS

The D has showed (Pitt 2nd half, Tits 2nd half) that they are capable of coming out and

shutting the other offense down. I found Pettine's post-game comments interesting. He said

that at halftime he and ONiell discussed the defense "at length" and decided to make no

schematic changes, that the problem was that the players needed to step up and make plays.

At this level, is it the coaches fault that players are coming out flat, not ready to play?

Brian Bosworth, in his rookie year, said that the his biggest adjustment in the NFL was that

coaches did not push your buttons to get you up for the game. Should the players, as professionals,

be expected to come out breathing fire ready to kick ass without the coaching staff being in their faces?

And if we had last year's offensive line last year's running game and Greg Little you guys would be calling for Brian Hoyers head on a stick.

One difference seems to be that last year's defense fell apart in the second half as opposed to this years which falls apart in the first half. I guess the second way is better...

WSS

That's actually another reason for confidence in Hoyer ... he won with last year's line, running game and Greg Little too.

Zombo

The biggest asset Hoyer brings to the table as others have said is he's just a cool dude out there. He never looks rattled, plays confident and knows how to WIN in the 4th quarter. That's something you can't teach. I don't shy away from the fact I wanted Manziel (and I still think he's going to be good), but this is Hoyer's team for the foreseeable future.

Good call by OP.

I was kinda hoping Manziel would beat Hoyer out, but Hoyer is playing lights out. I pffttt at the guy who said Farmer provided Hoyer w/all this talent. Hoyer is making chicken salad out of chicken poop. Well, not quite.........as our OL is playing well and we have 3 good backs. The WRs are dreadful and Hoyer's timing and accuracy are making them look better. Hawkins caused both picks yesterday by terrible route running. He free lances too much. The best appears to be Gabriel. That is kinda amazing.

Anyway, Hoyer is making good decisions, gets rid of it on time, is an excellent leader, has some guts, improvises, exudes confidence, and is a play-maker.

I'm on the Hoyer bandwagon.

I said it last year & I'll say it again.....This Team plays at a higher level behind Hoyer.

The "Waterbugs" (our little WRs) ain't doin' too shabby either, & the D will come around.

We were promised a "culture change" under this new regime & Coaching Staff & we sure as hell got it. These guys never quit!

Mike

I disagree that our WRs are no good. I think Farmer was genius for sticking with these guys. We have 4 very capable guys who I trust 100% on 3rd down, when it counts. Hawkins, Austin, Benjamin, and Gabriel have all shown great hands this year, a quality past GMs have ignored with our WR corp.

Having back Gordon will round out what will be a very solid group.

I disagree that our WRs are no good. I think Farmer was genius for sticking with these guys. We have 4 very capable guys who I trust 100% on 3rd down, when it counts. Hawkins, Austin, Benjamin, and Gabriel have all shown great hands this year, a quality past GMs have ignored with our WR corp.

Having back Gordon will round out what will be a very solid group.

I agree with you. These guys are getting open AND catching the ball. The guys we had before could do neither. It's a nice situation...Hoyer has receivers he can depend upon & the WRs have a QB who will get the ball to them.

We've come a long way, baby!

Mike

I'm not ready to anoint Hoyer but he is one of the larger parts of our current success and I couldn't be happier for the guy or our team.

Zombo, why you haven't traded Brees away in league 1 so you can roll with Hoyer and pick up a WR, RB or both is beyond me.

anoint hoyer? of course not. he is not wearing a nice robe and his feet are ugly.

farmer OTOH has big manicured feet and a nice cropped bald head. costs me $75 a week for that look, not bad for a a close shave and a tossed salad at the end of the day.

anoint hoyer? of course not. he is not wearing a nice robe and his feet are ugly.

farmer OTOH has big manicured feet and a nice cropped bald head. costs me $75 a week for that look, not bad for a a close shave and a tossed salad at the end of the day.

Mik I didn't assume you were one to pay 75 bones to have your salad tossed.

Whatever floats your boat my man.

The guy is the best QB the Browns have had since Bernie. As the team gets confident and fine tuned, as we ad more talent, things will only get better. The kid is the shit. He can flat out play and he has everyone excited.

Manziel was a waste of a pick. I was hoping the Browns would have followed the line form the movie Draft day and stood pat with the QB with a hurt knee. Oh well, look for Manziel to get traded in the off season. Unless Hoyer gets hurt, Manziel will be picking splinters out of his ass.

Manziel had to be a haslam pick. For only media attention. Haslam is a snake and a slimeball so I'm sure he picked someone who reminded him of himself.

That's actually another reason for confidence in Hoyer ... he won with last year's line, running game and Greg Little too.

Zombo

Brandon Weeden bailed him out of one of those games. I'm not the statistician around here but how many games last season did the defense blow a lead?

WSS

I'm not ready to anoint Hoyer but he is one of the larger parts of our current success and I couldn't be happier for the guy or our team.

Zombo, why you haven't traded Brees away in league 1 so you can roll with Hoyer and pick up a WR, RB or both is beyond me.

I don't think Bree's will demand that much on the market.

Z

Archived