THE BROWNS BOARD

Haden most likely out vs. Steelers with hip injury

WalterWhite

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haden needs to stop fing jumping whatever route he guessed.. and play the man instead.

He doesn't do that very well either.

He was never worth the money they gave him

He's an average CB. and he has never been anything more then that

Skrine on Brown. All day. Buster's quicks should allow him to stay with Brown better than Haden. Joe, compensating for his lack of quicks, always seems to guess the receiver's route and then tries to beat him to an area and re-direct - only to see that the receiver broke off the route and is now 3 yards away and wide open. However, if Joe guesses right, he blankets the guy and often deflects the pass. Hasn't seemed to be guessing right lately.

Thats because haden is much better in zone that man. Pettimes defense is predicated on the corners playing man and thats not working out to well for old joe.

I agree- if Haden has a bum hip- let Skrine cover Brown. He's roughly the same size, and just as fast. Him, Miller and Bell are their only real offensive threats.

Key to the game- don't let Rotlisberger pull any of his Houdini acts.

I agree- if Haden has a bum hip- let Skrine cover Brown. He's roughly the same size, and just as fast. Him, Miller and Bell are their only real offensive threats.

Key to the game- don't let Rotlisberger pull any of his Houdini acts.

Plus blount and Wheaton and DRI archer is back from injury. I expect Wheaton to have a big game honestly.

Haden needs to stop fing jumping whatever route he guessed.. and play the man instead.

There have been a couple times this season Haden has read the route perfectly (like a former QB should)

but either the Dline doesn't get pressure or a QB (namely that fatshit in Pittsburgh) extends the play.

Joe had Brown dead to rights on that deep square in week 1. Played it as good as any CB, if the ball is thrown then - its a pick.

Fatass then does his warren moon impression, Brown gets away with a slight push off and thats how you have a bomb for 6.

First, the abundance of Steeler fan comments is getting old around here. Every damn thread turns into a pissing match.

Second, expect to see less man coverage, and more of a zone scheme from our secondary this week. It's not ideal against a QB like Ben, but it's better than going man-on-man with Skrine/Gilbert/Nelson against the Steelers WRs.

Third, expect to see us sell out with the pass-rush. Sheard, Kruger, Mingo, A.Bryant, and Martin are going to have to step it up to get pressure on Ben and make him throw it where we want him to.

Last, the 4-man front seemed to work in the 2nd half last week to slow down the run, and I'd like to see more of that.

I expect Wheaton to have a big game honestly.

As opposed to Wheaton's usual, dishonest approach?

First, the abundance of Steeler fan comments is getting old around here. Every damn thread turns into a pissing match.

Agree...

While I'm not in favor of a total ban it would be nice if we could pen them in a "special" section of the forum...

It will be Gilbert, not Nelson, if Joe can't go:

Justin Gilbert chosen to start if Joe Haden can't play against Steelers; other injuries hit Browns' defense

Oct 10, 2014 -- 3:30pm

WOWCableBanner-Grossi2014.jpeg

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

Joe-Haden-US-Presswire.jpg

Photo/US Presswire

Extra Points …

Juggling injuries: The Browns’ injury situation heading into Sunday’s critical division game against Pittsburgh is definitely questionable.

Cornerback Joe Haden (hip) practiced lightly for the first time all week and was listed as questionable.

Outside linebacker Paul Kruger (back) missed practice for the second consecutive day and was listed as questionable.

And nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin (ankle) showed up on the list for the first time in the week, was limited at practice and listed as questionable.

One certainty: Defensive lineman Billy Winn (quad) was officially ruled out.

After practice, coach Mike Pettine remained cautiously optimistic about Haden’s availability and said, for the first time, that rookie Justin Gilbert would start if Haden can’t play.

“He got a little bit of work off to the side,” Pettine said of Haden. “He was limited, very limited. That’s a decision we’re going to have to … hopefully, he has a good day tomorrow getting some treatment. We’re hopeful. It’s a game time decision, but we hope he’ll be able to go, obviously.”

Gilbert won a competition with undrafted Robert Nelson to be next man up at Haden’s spot.

“He came out and did his job,” Pettine said. “He had a great attitude, competed, made some plays. (He) just raised his level of consistency. He still made some mistakes, but I would say it was his best week of practice.”

Kruger experienced “an issue with his lower back,” Pettine said, and was given a second day off in a row in hopes of getting him right for Sunday. Kruger has had a good first month of the season. His pressure on the quarterback resulted in both of safety Tashaun Gipson’s interceptions this season.

If Kruger can’t play, reserve Eric Martin would receive more reps, Pettine said.

“Eric would see more of a role. I think Eric only got two plays against Tennessee, and he had two really good rushes. So, it was already the plan to get him more reps. That’s something that if Krug is limited or can’t go, then he’s going to get those reps anyway,” Pettine said.

Early in the week, the Browns planned on being without defensive tackle Phil Taylor (knee scope surgery) and Winn, so they had a full week of practice with John Hughes and Ishmaa’ily Kitchen in specialized roles.

If Rubin is ruled out, it’s possible the Browns could promote Jaccobi McDaniel from the practice squad. Pettine said he needs to meet with the trainer for an update on Rubin’s status.

As opposed to Wheaton's usual, dishonest approach?

Agree...

While I'm not in favor of a total ban it would be nice if we could pen them in a "special" section of the forum...

What's with you trying to be "cute" with your replies all of the sudden? Im grammatically correct a majority of the time. I also post a lot from my phone. You made a weak quip about kent state yesterday. Comical.

Haden upgraded to probable

Browns' Haden probable for Sunday's game vs. Steelers

Oct 10 2014, 8:54 PMDan Wilkins

Despite a hip injury holding him to only one limited practice this week, Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden is listed as probable for Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Whether or not the injury limits his role in the defense remains to be seen, but the probable designation despite such little practice time is certainly a positive sign.

Haden's availability will be key to the Browns' success, as the secondary matches up with a Steelers passing offense that totaled 376 yards in the two teams' first meeting of the year in Week 1.

Haden upgraded to probable

Browns' Haden probable for Sunday's game vs. Steelers

Oct 10 2014, 8:54 PMDan Wilkins

Despite a hip injury holding him to only one limited practice this week, Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden is listed as probable for Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Whether or not the injury limits his role in the defense remains to be seen, but the probable designation despite such little practice time is certainly a positive sign.

Haden's availability will be key to the Browns' success, as the secondary matches up with a Steelers passing offense that totaled 376 yards in the two teams' first meeting of the year in Week 1.

If he's still not 100% please don't man him up against Brown- he'll get toasted.

What's with you trying to be "cute" with your replies all of the sudden? Im grammatically correct a majority of the time. I also post a lot from my phone. You made a weak quip about kent state yesterday. Comical.

The Wheaton comment popped into my head. My cuteness is a curse. It will not be contained.

And the Kent St. "quip" is a time-tested saying with which I am sure you are familiar.

The Wheaton comment popped into my head. My cuteness is a curse. It will not be contained.

And the Kent St. "quip" is a time-tested saying with which I am sure you are familiar.

Yea I'm aware. If I could do it all over I wouldn't go to kent again despite loving my program and the friends I made. The reality is at the end of the day where you go for your bachelors is far less important than were you go for your masters etc. "Kent read, can't write, kent state"

Yea I'm aware. If I could do it all over I wouldn't go to kent again despite loving my program and the friends I made. The reality is at the end of the day where you go for your bachelors is far less important than were you go for your masters etc. "Kent read, can't write, kent state"

Actually I was thinking of:

"If you can't go to college, go to Kent." ;)

I was only on campus once. Went to hear Ralph Nader speak in late April of 1970...

Archived