THE BROWNS BOARD

K'waun Williams Rookie of the Week

I don't think many of us were too familiar with who exactly "Williams #36" was on Sunday.

I sure as hell didn't think "Buster Skrine's back-up" was gonna help our cause.

Sure enough, K'waun Williams ended up exploding on the scene by making huge monetum plays,

including stopping Titan's TE Delanie Walker a half yard shy of the first down with the game on the line.

Not bad for a undrafted rookie.. Vote for Williams!

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2014/REG/5?module=HP11_content_stream_voting_pepsi#playerId:0ap3000000406966

I certainly wanted to know who he was when he whiffed on that tackle allowing the TD in the first half - Williams f'ing who I asked myself - who is this dipshit? Then, he redeemed himself - big time.

Whilst Haden wrestles with the voices in his head, I hope this guy keeps on balling - I'm off to vote for him. Question is, how does our secondary shape up this weekend?

I voted for Williams too.

As far as this week goes, I think we need PRESSURE on big Ben & penetration into the backfield to also disrupt the run game. That being said, what the hell do I know?

Mike

I voted for Williams too.

As far as this week goes, I think we need PRESSURE on big Ben & penetration into the backfield to also disrupt the run game. That being said, what the hell do I know?

Mike

Hah Mike, with your long standing Browns legacy you know a lot. I'm wondering how much time Gilbert gets by default and how we adjust with Williams and Skrine.

Gilbert had 13% of the snaps Sunday working the outside in the nickel with Buster taking the inside slot assignment. That was until one series showed that it was worth benching him in favour of swapping Buster outside and Williams inside. If Haden is in civvies come Sunday, I can see skrine and, by default, Gilbert working the sides, keeping williams more central but as you say, we need to be winning the trench battle to protect that precarious backfield setup.

But Mike, what the hell do I know.

Exciting. Esp since our #6 overall has been a huge dissapointment. Gilbert is flat out bad through 4 games.

The bulk of Patrick Peteron's contributions his rookie year were on special teams as a return man. He had one good game against Dez Bryant, that was about it.

I have no idea what Gilbert isn't being used the same way but I'd put him back there on punt returns and special teams coverage. Develop that aggressive mindset required for the NFL.

Hah Mike, with your long standing Browns legacy you know a lot. I'm wondering how much time Gilbert gets by default and how we adjust with Williams and Skrine.

Gilbert had 13% of the snaps Sunday working the outside in the nickel with Buster taking the inside slot assignment. That was until one series showed that it was worth benching him in favour of swapping Buster outside and Williams inside. If Haden is in civvies come Sunday, I can see skrine and, by default, Gilbert working the sides, keeping williams more central but as you say, we need to be winning the trench battle to protect that precarious backfield setup.

But Mike, what the hell do I know.

Howie,

You have forced me to change my signature! LOL

Mike

• 1 month later...

K'waun fans need to see O'Neil's presser. He's damn near giddy when speaking about Williams.

"I think that you would struggle to find a Corner that was drafted this past year that is playing at a higher level than K'wuan Williams right now." - Jim O'Neil

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/ONeil_Defense_Is_Ready_For_Challenge_In_Atlanta/2defb0b7-8f67-4c3e-8c27-a710c9f2f210

wow....just listened....thats some pretty high praise right there. He def looks good. And is a really solid tackler too

Did I hear him say "justin who?"

if justin pans out then our already good backfield is going to be on a whole different level soon.

Did I hear him say "justin who?"

Not in so few words, but he said as improved as Justin is, K'waun is keeping Justin off of the field.

The "if I could start 12 players" was a nice touch as well...

Gilbert's battle is with Skrine for the outside CB spot opposite Haden... K'waun has locked up the inside CB position on this team... which is basically a starting spot in today's NFL... He's shown great ability...

Doesn't help to have such a solid secondary going against a team like the Texans who only play 2 WRs and load-up to run the ball...

Teams have started to notice that our strength on D is in the secondary, so I expect to see 2 TE sets and I-form with the traditional FB. Also, might see some of the 6th O-lineman sets depending on our opponent. Our D-line has not only played soft all year but they have been hurt, so why throw the ball when you can get 4+ yards per carry on the ground.

Sure, good for Ka'waun. But, we need a plan to stop the run... preferably without having to put one of our safeties in the box. Against Houston, that forced Haden/Skrine to play off and gave them the 6-yard out wide open all game long. That's a bad combination... 4 yards on the ground on 1st down, 6 yards through the air on 2nd down... Not exactly gonna work for us...

Sure, good for Ka'waun. But, we need a plan to stop the run... preferably without having to put one of our safeties in the box. Against Houston, that forced Haden/Skrine to play off and gave them the 6-yard out wide open all game long. That's a bad combination... 4 yards on the ground on 1st down, 6 yards through the air on 2nd down... Not exactly gonna work for us...

Another feel good story sent packing...

Need to change your name to "thenewbuzzkill"... ;)

But since it's dead...

Speaking of 6-man O-lines... I was wondering about us trying one, but I've never seen them employed in anything other than a power scheme.

Archived