THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Player additions

JAFBF

Crazy :

October 30, 2014

Released DB Marcus Cromartie from the practice squad.

Signed WR Phil Bates to the practice squad.

They just signed Cromartie, and now they've already released him.

Bates, 24, originally signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio back in 2012. He spent most of his rookie season on Seattle’s practice squad before he signed a reserve/future contract in February.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy :

October 30, 2014

Released DB Marcus Cromartie from the practice squad.

Signed WR Phil Bates to the practice squad.

They just signed Cromartie, and now they've already released him.

Bates, 24, originally signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio back in 2012. He spent most of his rookie season on Seattle’s practice squad before he signed a reserve/future contract in February.

That was fast. Maybe Cromardie didn't pass his physical. You'd think they'd look at him for more than a day, eh?

Personally, I like the revolving door on our PS. It tells me Farmer is relentless in looking for talent. It also tells me he doesn't dwell on bullshit players. Bring em in, try em out and then cut their asses if they don't shine. I like it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something of a Head scratcher :

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN is reporting that the Browns are releasing FB Kiero Small on Tuesday.

Small was promoted off of their practice squad after they decided to part ways with fullback Ray Agnew back in October.

Small, 25, was taken in the seventh round of this year’s NFL Draft by the Seahawks, but he was unable to make the team’s final 53-man roster coming out of the preseason.

This season, Small has appeared in three games, but has yet to record a single statistic. Pro Football Focus has him down for playing 87 snaps during this period of time.

It would not be surprising to see him end up back on the Browns’ practice squad if he clears waivers.

Interesting... I thought Small was an upgrade over Agnew, but still left room for improvement.

I wonder if they are considering Crow at FB?

Can some explain this waiving Small to re-sign Agnew thing to me?

Best I've seen :

He’s back: Pettine explained the flip-flop on the fullbacks this way: “Just an evaluation that we wanted to see Small and compare it to the body of work to Agnew and just decided it was time to switch back.”

Small, who had been on the practice squad the first six weeks, started the past three games after the Browns replaced him for Agnew.

Agnew, whose father played defensive tackle for the New England Patriots, understood the business and was happy to be back.

“They wanted to see if they could get a little bit more out of the position,” he said. “I understand that. I’ve been around the game a long time. My dad played. But it was the first time it happened to me.

“I’m just going to continue to do my job. I think going back home and thinking of some things I could have done better, I’m going to work on them.

“I plan on being here for the duration. We’ll see. It’s a crazy business we’re in.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=39671

Agnew story here,

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/11/12/7210405/browns-swap-fullbacks-sign-parma-native-to-practice-squad

I wonder if anybody wants to be a FB anymore. I'd still take it over my day job, but it has to be the worst position in the NFL to be in.

I remember thinking when the Texans dropped Lawrence Vickers after they ran for over 1800 yards that season and the Cowboys signed him for like 800k, who the hell wants to be a fullback in this league? Now it seems like a lot of teams do what the Browns are doing, cut, sign, cut, sign.

Oh well, like I said, it's still better than my day job pulling in a 10th of what a FB makes!

Agnew story here,

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/11/12/7210405/browns-swap-fullbacks-sign-parma-native-to-practice-squad

I wonder if anybody wants to be a FB anymore. I'd still take it over my day job, but it has to be the worst position in the NFL to be in.

I remember thinking when the Texans dropped Lawrence Vickers after they ran for over 1800 yards that season and the Cowboys signed him for like 800k, who the hell wants to be a fullback in this league? Now it seems like a lot of teams do what the Browns are doing, cut, sign, cut, sign.

Oh well, like I said, it's still better than my day job pulling in a 10th of what a FB makes!

Brand new rookie making almost half a mill a year to go out, play a (glorious) game and hit people? On top of some of the finest medical care in the world...

If I could put on another 40 pounds and play fullback, believe me, I would.

I get the impression the Browns are treating the HB and FB positions the same in some resoects. We've seen playing time for the backs fluctuate based on how they did in practice and presumably other factors.

Except the unemployment line replaces diminished playing time for the FB. Only so many roster spots.

Does anyone know if Small cleared waivers, and if we squadded him?

I get the impression the Browns are treating the HB and FB positions the same in some resoects. We've seen playing time for the backs fluctuate based on how they did in practice and presumably other factors.

Except the unemployment line replaces diminished playing time for the FB. Only so many roster spots.

Does anyone know if Small cleared waivers, and if we squadded him?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-signing-former-cardinal-gibbons-standout-kiero-small-to-practice-squad-sources-say-20141113-story.html

Ravens got him.

Kubiak is the OC at Baltimore - if anyone knows the ZBS better than Shanahan it's him.

Yup... going to be really interesting seeing how each D meets the zone scheme.

Missed some updates, so we have some players we're unaware of :

November 12, 2014 Signed LB D.J. Smith to the practice squad.

November 14, 2014 Placed DL Phil Taylor on injured reserve. Signed LB Keith Pough.

November 18, 2014 Waived RB Ben Tate.

And just in :

Tom Withers @twithersAP 8m8 minutes ago #Browns sign LB Zac Diles, re-sign DL Jacobbi McDaniel to practice squad, sign LB Scott Solomon to practice squad, release LB D.J. Smith.

Archived