THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine: "Browns would have drafted Watkins at 4, not Bortles"

WalterWhite

. . . Even more surprising is the reality here in mid-October that a guy named Brian Hoyer has outplayed every one of those rookie passers to date.

Seriously?

Right up to Draft day, nobody knew if or where any of the 2014 QB's were going to go, or even if they would be taken 1st round.

This past Class of QB's just had too many questions - both Manziel and Bridgewater nearly fell out of the 1st round.

Of the top talent available for a #4 selection, Watkins probably was the best pick.

If Gilbert gets his act together, we've got ourselves one helluva talent evaluator in Farmer.

First, I'm shocked Pettine would answer this type of question... I'm not displeased, but I am shocked.

It's always interesting to see what they have to say about the draft. (Picking Watkins) was pretty much the consensus from the get go.

Agree, but most did not think Mack would be available at #4 as well...

This past Class of QB's just had too many questions - both Manziel and Bridgewater nearly fell out of the 1st round.

You want a real head scratcher look at the "Draft Do-over" article Gil Brandt wrote a couple weeks ago. He had us drafting Teddy Twatwater at #8 as our redo... lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000403481/article/2014-nfl-draft-doover-blake-bortles-goes-no-1-to-texans

First, I'm shocked Pettine would answer this type of question... I'm not displeased, but I am shocked.

One of the things I like most about coach. It's so refreshing in this era of politically correct / Belichick "don't say anything" coach speak, that a coach actually answers the question put before him.

Have fun Sunday in the Tavern, as I won't be there......... I'll be at Sonoma State University watching my daughter in her sorority powderpuff football tourney! ( Remember: Bend don't break )

One of the things I like most about coach. It's so refreshing in this era of politically correct / Belichick "don't say anything" coach speak, that a coach actually answers the question put before him.

I agree and like how Pettine goes about things.....he meets things head on and has an honest, straight forward approach....no need to read between the lines with this guy.....just says what he's gonna do, then does it....

i guess the FO really didn't know the outcome of the gordon thing.............so a true #2 CB was (one) of the most pertinent needs for the team.

if we were talking WR i woulda shoulda coulda picked evans over watkins. but see, that's my friigin luck. i wanted milner a couple of years ago and he's a RG3 glass-knee guy.

yes, i'm glad i'm not a scout for the browns.

Have fun Sunday in the Tavern, as I won't be there......... I'll be at Sonoma State University watching my daughter in her sorority powderpuff football tourney! ( Remember: Bend don't break )

A lingerie bowl quip crossed my mine, but since your daughter is my Browns' Tavern niece... I'll keep a lid on it.

Here's hoping the return of the Browns' "RubberBand D' is firmly in place.

if we were talking WR i woulda shoulda coulda picked evans over watkins. but see, that's my friigin luck.

yes, i'm glad i'm not a scout for the browns.

I'm glad, too... Besides tall, I still have not seen what the Evans attraction was...

Agree, but most did not think Mack would be available at #4 as well...

You want a real head scratcher look at the "Draft Do-over" article Gil Brandt wrote a couple weeks ago. He had us drafting Teddy Twatwater at #8 as our redo... lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000403481/article/2014-nfl-draft-doover-blake-bortles-goes-no-1-to-texans

That's just nuts, Teddy's in a world of hurt right now - almost Weedenesq with 0 TD & 3 INT.

The guy also has us moving up to take West ?

Why would we do that when we got him where we did?

Must of been a bender night for the guy when he came up with all that.

made manziel JOHNNY FOOTBALL. without him he'd be johnny pee wee.

Mik, you sound like you've been drinking too many Strawberry wine coolers as usual.

When Johnny won the Heisman in 2012, Evans wasn't even his main guy. It was Ryan Swope.

Johnny earned every bit of what he did at the collegiate level. (That's like saying Harvin and Hernandez made Tebow)

We can debate his NFL prospects night and day, but he's one of the greatest ever at the college level.

JFF will be great.

... less filling...

That's just nuts...

The guy also has us moving up to take West ?

That's nothing... he had one team taking Seantrel Henderson, a 7th round choice, in round one.

Mik, you sound like you've been drinking too many Strawberry wine coolers as usual.

When Johnny won the Heisman in 2012, Evans wasn't even his main guy. It was Ryan Swope.

Johnny earned every bit of what he did at the collegiate level. (That's like saying Harvin and Hernandez made Tebow)

We can debate his NFL prospects night and day, but he's one of the greatest ever at the college level.

yeah i must be drunk and high because i could swear the arc on the footballs thrown to evans leaves my field of vision (outside the 42 inch screen) and floats like a duck into the arms of evans who just had to physically block out 2 defenders so they wouldn't rip it out of the glorious blue sky before he could. evans saved manziel's arse so many times he should have receive the 'dick buttkiss' award.

He's not inaccurate either. Swope made catches on throws that Johnny never should have put up.

And while Harvin didn't make Tebow, he sure struggled without him.

Archived