THE BROWNS BOARD

We blew it on Watkins.

Clevfan4life

Excuse me, I see a dead horse over there. I'm gonna go beat it to death AGAIN!!

The effin draft is OVER! Get it?

What ISN'T over are these young men's careers....In fact, they have just started. Oh, I'm sorry, Hall of Famers earn that in their first year, right? If they're not the greatest ever in year one, they're shit!

What a stupid fuckin' thread! I feel stupid for even READING the drivel.

Mike

^+1

First off let me say this was one of the stupidest and least thought through replies I've ever read on this board, possibly the entire internets. About the only think you got right was the importance of defense. Why you bring up Dez Bryant and Colt McCoy I have no idea, maybe you're drunk. The "fact" is that Justin Gilbert has been less than avg and Sammy Watkins is an immediate impact star player. I too think defense should take precedence "up to a point". My two guys were Watkins and Mack....BOTH are playing better than Gilbert. Mack may win defensive rookie of the year if Clowney doesn't do much when he returns. Given that we knew Gordon was going to go down for at least half the season, I begrudgingly acknowledged that while I still loved Mack..Watkins made the most sense. If the Browns had any hint whatsoever about the severity of the Gordon punishment...which it came out later they may have....skipping Watkins is that much more indefensible. Yes Wakins is immature...is he Josh Gordon immature though? You don't seem to be wanting the Browns to trade Gordon do you? I'll take a superstar who gets caught having his Madden moment and learns from it over a guy who's broken the NFL substance abuse policy more times than a lot of people here can count to. You think Buffalo players are as "po'd" over him getting caught as Browns players must have been over Gordon getting his 3rd strike and then getting a DUI while on said 3rd strike?

Idiot post. Seriously. Dez Bryant had an off night....yeah he's terrible fuck him. Idiot.

Gee, too bad we don't have 10 first round picks, we could have had all of them.

And Kwaun Williams, whose been playing better than Gilbert at points in the year

Thanks for making my point yet again- even if Gilbert totally busts (and I think that's unlikely) Williams- Crowell- Gabriel. That's where GMs turn a crap team into a playoff contender- pulling gems off of the scrap heap. Manziel playing with house money. Tayshawn Gibson= first round draft status.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give one example of a "stud" receiver coming in an improving a team's w/l record.

^^^^Exactly^^^^. Ask Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, AJ Green, Dez Bryant & Calvin Johnsons teams how many super bowls they've won after getting their great receivers.

Thats the 6 biggest superstar WRs in the last 2 DECADES, who played on 16 different teams, over the last 19 years and they all combined for exactly ZERO Super Bowl victories.

FTM. Ask the Browns how many games they won after Josh Gordon EXPLODED and was getting 200 yards a game? Oh, none? Oh yeah, I forgot.

I don't understand why it's so hard to realize that this statement can't be made until we draft next year with the Bills pick. Yes, as of today Watkins looks to be a star in the making. BUT, Gilbert is getting 10x better every week out there and CB is, IMO, the hardest position in the NFL to grow into. So let's assume Gilbert plays up to a top 10 corner level and we get another play-maker (offense, defense doesn't matter) with the Bills pick. Would you rather have two great players or one elite guy? Debatable I suppose to an extent but a team of great players is something I'd rather have than one guy who is awesome (see Gordon last year).

This whole thread is nothing but looking at stuff short term, which is what most fans here do.

Jesus, CBS are more important than WRs in this league today.

Its a passing league. But we decided to take the first step to DEFENDING the pass. Which is more important.

We drafted Gilbert because of his measurables. Kwaun was small, didnt get drafted cuz he came from a smaller school but he, like Gabriel, were found cuz Ray Farmer is a boss.

Your not helping anything at all by continuing this argument. Farmer is a boss.

Our offense has been the high point of the year so far. Through the first 4 games we had one of the most consistent high scoring Os in the league. We made lemonade out of lemons and didnt need Watkins. What we needed was a running game.

Whine, Whine, Whine

We could have taking Kelvin Benjamin (Taken at 28, with 5 TD catches himself) instead of your boy Johnny Clipboard with the Indy pick too Walter.

Oh wait, I forget, do you not like Johnny Football now? Or are you back on his knob? We all had to sort through all the posts you made about him around draft day, then sort through the hate posts about him and we should have drafted someone else, after you wanted to take him with the 4th pick. Oh wait, Walter didn't even make THIS thread.... It's hard to keep up with the flip flopping whine asses around here.

So if Gilbert starts and plays lights out the rest of the year is the OP going to start a post about how awesome he is and what a genius move the trade was and act like this thread never existed?

Posted Today, 11:36 AM

Studded out secondary vs studded our Wrs?

Secondary gets you to the Super Bowl. Wrs sell tickets Typical
Nailed it.

^^^^Exactly^^^^. Ask Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, AJ Green, Dez Bryant & Calvin Johnsons teams how many super bowls they've won after getting their great receivers.

Thats the 6 biggest superstar WRs in the last 2 DECADES, who played on 16 different teams, over the last 19 years and they all combined for exactly ZERO Super Bowl victories.

FTM. Ask the Browns how many games they won after Josh Gordon EXPLODED and was getting 200 yards a game? Oh, none? Oh yeah, I forgot.

^ This. :)

I have a good feeling about Gilbert... He and Haden are going to be really good together...

Watkins...? eh... When Gordon gets back, we'll remember why we didn't need to waste such an early pick on a WR...

Plus, sitting at 4-3 with a team playing hard and pulling out wins... it's kinda nice knowing next year we get to add 2 1st rounders to this squad...

Trouble is that we don't have a studded out secondary, and we don't have a studded out receiving corp either.. Gilbert is hardly stud material. It would have been better to have had Watkins, who is going to be a super star.This guy is a bomb, ready to go off every time he has the ball.

So throwing in the towel for Gilbert in week 9, and might as well fire farmer.

We can't go back in time for Watkins, and its too early to tell who got the better end of the bargain.

Bills fan here. Watkins was more then worth it. He is the best reciever we have had since Andre Reed. I don't think we are seeing even half of what he's capable of doing (which is scary) A few reasons for that are 1. Our head coach is a conservative run the ball on first and second down every freakin time, Marrone still thinks it's 1985. 2. He got off to a slow start because he was hurt and EJ Manuel is the worst QB in NFL history. Yes, NFL history. When the Bills made that pick for Manuel I put my fist through a wall. He was terrible in college with the best talent in the country. I mean my God look what happens when you give Florida State a FRESHMEN QB who is half way accurate, They have not lost a game since. And I love the saying that the Bills gave up 2 number #1's lol. I just find that laughable. In reality we gave up one #1 in 2015. We switched picks and got your higher #1 pick in 2014. So saying we gave up our #1 pick in 2014 is ridiculous in my opinion. Anyways you guys are lucky our offesive line sucks and our coach still thinks it's 1985 or else we would win 12 games this year. But we have already blown a few we should of won so you will probably get a mid round pick at the worst in the 20's and then you will waste it on some horrible CB LOL. I kid, I kid. Point being I would make that trade again in a heart beat for Watkins, he's a Star and if you guys had him with your other star WR who will be returning soon, you would probably be unstoppable.

I think the general consensus is we have Gordon coming back, and needed a CB for Buster and Haden. In the long run the pick is best for us if Gilbert is a beast and continues to improve.

The Bills need a QB, and gave up next years first for a dude who is thrown to by a QB. So i think that is the criticism if any of the Bills decision

I think the general consensus is we have Gordon coming back, and needed a CB for Buster and Haden. In the long run the pick is best for us if Gilbert is a beast and continues to improve.

The Bills need a QB, and gave up next years first for a dude who is thrown to by a QB. So i think that is the criticism if any of the Bills decision

We have a QB now. Never understood why he got such a bad rap. Even more impressed with him now. EJ is trash. Orton is far from trash.

look I'm a defense guy so in principle I agree but a studded out corp of WR's with a competent QB go to the playoffs over a period of years. The competency of a secondary can be completely negated by a weakened pass rush, something I suspect is part of Seattle's problems.

If we didn't have these problems with Gordon I would not be that unhappy with the Gilbert pick even though I had Mack infront of him who is also performing better on a vastly worse team than the Browns. Watkins was just a no brainer. LIke Houston taking Clowney...no brainer.

Studded out secondary vs studded our Wrs?

Secondary gets you to the Super Bowl. Wrs sell tickets

Sammy watkins. He has outright won the Bills 2 games this year ( Det, Minn) They would be 3-5 without him.

SInce I don't follow other teams that intently, really just two or three teams...I didn't know this. Can you explain how he won the game outright for you guys?

That's a stark realization in any case if it's true....3-5 vs 5-3. So many people here had no problem seeing CHud out the door cause "we wanna win now". Yet they're fine with a CB who may or may not pan out you know, let's give him some time......wut? The guy we blatantly passed on is helping what is honestly a not very good team, win NOW. Makes no sense to me. I'm not cryin in no beer...I'm just saying we have to stop missing. Right now Gilbert looks like a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick. A guy that takes a couple years to develop. If next years draft doesn't have a no brainer like Watkins, yeah wheel and deal...get some of these later round guys that "could" turn into gems like Gilbert may very turn out. You just can't pass on guys like Watkins. I'll bet there would have been people yelling if we took Clowney..."where does he fit in our D!!!"..until that first snap where he goes around a hapless lineman just like he didn in college. There's just some kids that come out that are NFL ready immediately...Watkins was one of em. He's doing everything he was projected to do.

Orton is, and always has been, a good backup QB. If bills fans think he's the future idk what they're high on.

lol the future is overrated. He's good. Best QB we have had in a while. I have no complaints and I can;t wait until we smoke you in a couple weeks in Buffalo and make that draft pick even lower lol. You passed on a star for a average CB lol. Good luck justifying that in a few years when Watkins is chillin at the Pro Bowl every year and you know deep down if you had him and Gordon you might be making trips to the Super Bowl. Instead u will get a late 20's pick, probably a guard or CB LOL.

They won one SB. Let's not call them a dynasty yet. If SF had their starting all world starting LB'ers it's debateable whether Seattle even makes the playoffs. Right now the Cards are pulling away in that division. I'm not knocking a great secondary but if you look at Blt's defense...they had Ed Reed. The whole secondary just played well because Blt had one of the greatest front 7's in football history for a lot of years. Pgh's defense....Polamalu was the only real stud at secondary no? Also a safety like Reed. Who was a standout in the secondary of those Patriot defense's? Point is you can have a great defense and go to SB's without amassing a pro bowl secondary.

Yup, just ask the 2013 Seattle Seahawks....

SInce I don't follow other teams that intently, really just two or three teams...I didn't know this. Can you explain how he won the game outright for you guys?

That's a stark realization in any case if it's true....3-5 vs 5-3. So many people here had no problem seeing CHud out the door cause "we wanna win now". Yet they're fine with a CB who may or may not pan out you know, let's give him some time......wut? The guy we blatantly passed on is helping what is honestly a not very good team, win NOW. Makes no sense to me. I'm not cryin in no beer...I'm just saying we have to stop missing. Right now Gilbert looks like a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick. A guy that takes a couple years to develop. If next years draft doesn't have a no brainer like Watkins, yeah wheel and deal...get some of these later round guys that "could" turn into gems like Gilbert may very turn out. You just can't pass on guys like Watkins. I'll bet there would have been people yelling if we took Clowney..."where does he fit in our D!!!"..until that first snap where he goes around a hapless lineman just like he didn in college. There's just some kids that come out that are NFL ready immediately...Watkins was one of em. He's doing everything he was projected to do

I really don't want to take the time to explain it but no Bills fan will disagree with me. Have u not seen the catch he made vs Detroit on the 2nd to last play? Maybe you havent. You should hes that good. This set up a 58 yard FG to win the game, tip pass to himself. http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Sammy-Watkins-tips-a-pass-to-himself/95dccf79-945c-47a7-9df8-5dbf04b8434a

lol the future is overrated. He's good. Best QB we have had in a while. I have no complaints and I can;t wait until we smoke you in a couple weeks in Buffalo and make that draft pick even lower lol. You passed on a star for a average CB lol. Good luck justifying that in a few years when Watkins is chillin at the Pro Bowl every year and you know deep down if you had him and Gordon you might be making trips to the Super Bowl. Instead u will get a late 20's pick, probably a guard or CB LOL.

This is weird.

Who are you?

If u wanna bring up the smack talk its not wise on this board because you will be crucified.

With Gordon back our receivers are fine, even without him they've been better than we expected. Gabriel leads the NFL in yards per catch with 20, Hawkins has been a great shifty possession player, and Miles has been steady with catching the ball. Gordon is the missing link.

The missing link on our D was another CB. And we got a mighty good prospect. We have 2 firsts next year to add to the squad, am I missing something here?

Are u saying the Watkins pick is singlehandedly better than the Browns entire draft and future planned drafts? He wasnt a need for us. For Buffalo maybe he was.

I guarantee the Browns secondary is better than Buffalo's. Gordon should be back by then, so we certainly will see.

Bills fan here. Watkins was more then worth it. He is the best reciever we have had since Andre Reed. I don't think we are seeing even half of what he's capable of doing (which is scary) A few reasons for that are 1. Our head coach is a conservative run the ball on first and second down every freakin time, Marrone still thinks it's 1985. 2. He got off to a slow start because he was hurt and EJ Manuel is the worst QB in NFL history. Yes, NFL history. When the Bills made that pick for Manuel I put my fist through a wall. He was terrible in college with the best talent in the country. I mean my God look what happens when you give Florida State a FRESHMEN QB who is half way accurate, They have not lost a game since. And I love the saying that the Bills gave up 2 number #1's lol. I just find that laughable. In reality we gave up one #1 in 2015. We switched picks and got your higher #1 pick in 2014. So saying we gave up our #1 pick in 2014 is ridiculous in my opinion. Anyways you guys are lucky our offesive line sucks and our coach still thinks it's 1985 or else we would win 12 games this year. But we have already blown a few we should of won so you will probably get a mid round pick at the worst in the 20's and then you will waste it on some horrible CB LOL. I kid, I kid. Point being I would make that trade again in a heart beat for Watkins, he's a Star and if you guys had him with your other star WR who will be returning soon, you would probably be unstoppable.

You're fucking Retarded.

You traded your 2014 #1 and your 2015 #1 for our 2014 #1 (You took Watkins).

It's actually just a fact, not some kind of fancy words you can't wrap your head around.

Zombo

This is weird.

Who are you?

If u wanna bring up the smack talk its not wise on this board because you will be crucified.

With Gordon back our receivers are fine, even without him they've been better than we expected. Gabriel leads the NFL in yards per catch with 20, Hawkins has been a great shifty possession player, and Miles has been steady with catching the ball. Gordon is the missing link.

The missing link on our D was another CB. And we got a mighty good prospect. We have 2 firsts next year to add to the squad, am I missing something here?

Are u saying the Watkins pick is singlehandedly better than the Browns entire draft and future planned drafts? He wasnt a need for us. For Buffalo maybe he was.

I guarantee the Browns secondary is better than Buffalo's. Gordon should be back by then, so we certainly will see.

Your wrong lol. I appreciate the passion though. If you had Watkins you would be 13-3. Have fun though with our 19th pick, I'm sure you will get another great RB

You're fucking Retarded.

You traded your 2014 #1 and your 2015 #1 for our 2014 #1 (You took Watkins).

It's actually just a fact, not some kind of fancy words you can't wrap your head around.

Zombo

Complete idiot!!! Yes we did trade that. You forget to mention we traded our 2014 for YOURS!!!!!! Which was higher!!!!!!!! It's swapping picks we just didnt hand over two picks. U didnt get two first! U got one! We got your first in 2014 moron! That's swapping. And we got a star and u got a half way decent corner. enjoy it.

We have 2 first rounders next year, what are we bragging about? Another Mingo? Edwards? Weeded? Richardson?

I would trade that whole group and another first to get Sammy back..

This is what I'm saying...

If Gilbert ends up being average and so does next years pick, then we have screwed it up.

Sammy Watkins is a top 10 elite receiver right now in the NFL.

I'll take ONE Sammy Watkins, JJ Watt, or Kahlil Mack type player over a package of Weeden, Richardon, Mingo, Taylor...

Archived