THE BROWNS BOARD

We blew it on Watkins.

Clevfan4life

What pisses me off about passing on Watkins is that Pettine/Farmer/Haslam kept it in the dark UNTIL AFTER DRAFT DAY that Gordon would be gone for the year.

IF WE KNEW GORDON WAS GOING TO BE SUSPENDED FOR THE YEAR LIKE THE FRONT OFFICE KNEW AND PASSED ON WATKINS.

THE PITCHFORKS WOULD BE AIMED TOWARDS THE FRONT OFFICE

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I'm saying...

If Gilbert ends up being average and so does next years pick, then we have screwed it up.

Sammy Watkins is a top 10 elite receiver right now in the NFL.

I'll take ONE Sammy Watkins, JJ Watt, or Kahlil Mack type player over a package of Weeden, Richardon, Mingo, Taylor...

Exactly. I rip on the Bills a lot and there my team, in this case finally for once they got it right. Watkins is sick, Totally worth it.

What you are missing is that early first round picks for the Browns usually turns out to be a bust, and not a super star.

Just look at our last 6 drafts to get where I'm coming from. When a can't miss guy like Watkins comes along, your odds are now at least 50-50 that he will pan out.

We have 2 first rounders next year, what are we bragging about? Another Mingo? Edwards? Weeded? Richardson?

I would trade that whole group and another first to get Sammy back..

U have terrible scouts then Watkins was a cant miss your gonna regret it

What pisses me off about passing on Watkins is that Pettine/Farmer/Haslam kept it in the dark UNTIL AFTER DRAFT DAY that Gordon would be gone for the year.

IF WE KNEW GORDON WAS GOING TO BE SUSPENDED FOR THE YEAR LIKE THE FRONT OFFICE KNEW AND PASSED ON WATKINS.

u would be playing in the super bowl.Gordan and Watkins? Good Lord unstoppable the Browns are dumb a fuck.

Omar, you sound like a complete troll and horribly bored.

While I personally regret passing on Watkins due to Gordon's suspension, you guys have no shot at making a title run with Kyle Orton and have no pick next year. It will be 2016-2017 until you find a real QB and that could take years to develop him.

Sammy Watkins is good but without a real QB in Buffalo, it's going to be a whole lot of ooh's and aah's for nothing

Now make like Kiki Alonso and tear an ACL and get the fuck outta here

Your man love for Orton will disappoint you at some point.

You lost all credibility when you said Watkins would bring us a super bowl.

We'll see in buffalo when Gordon shreds your secondary for 200, 3 TDs.

...Gilbert will be fine too. Come back after KCs defense stuffs you in the face on your home turf.

You drafted EJ Manuel in the 1st round.

Lol. That says enough...

Complete idiot!!! Yes we did trade that. You forget to mention we traded our 2014 for YOURS!!!!!! Which was higher!!!!!!!! It's swapping picks we just didnt hand over two picks. U didnt get two first! U got one! We got your first in 2014 moron! That's swapping. And we got a star and u got a half way decent corner. enjoy it.

You traded two #1 draft picks for the pick with which you took Watkins.

Z

Rookie CBs take time to develop. Slower than rookie WRs. Its simply too soon to make these statements.

I forget exactly WHO said this, but I work for Sports media/ specifically a board operator for radio shows on sports, im virtually around analysts and football talk all the time, this past year I learned much more about the game then I ever have, specifically the NFL landscape, one thing I can tell you with utmost certainty.

In the NFL, wide receivers are the least capable of all positions to make an impact during a game, of course they are beneficial and make plays, but the variations of throws and playcalling makes the WR position the hardest aspect to develop the most sustained success in a season.

The Browns did not need a catalyst to depend on, they needed a running game. They also needed a press coverage corner, something hard to do in the NFL. The scheme called for a CB to help us sustain the most consistent success with our D.

Some would say, to pick a Rb, WR type in the first round at all is a wasted pick, due to the number of receivers that are available in the first place, along with the limited base role a receiver provides in the first place.

Perhaps Watkins has better physical attributes than other prospects, but he still wasnt a need for the Browns. CB made more Sense just from logic and last years weak play from the secondary.

Gordon had 740 yds in 3 games, didnt help the Browns, they got beat over the top, in their SECONDARY most games, and lost.

The NFL is all about that ideal, sustained consistent success (the Browns are hopefully going to keep this staff for a long time)

You saying it was wrong to NOT pick him is just an opinion. We got compensation for next year as well as only moving a few spots down. It was not a huge blow at all.

u would be playing in the super bowl.Gordan and Watkins? Good Lord unstoppable the Browns are dumb a fuck.

You're the dumbest fucking person I have ever come across in my life.

You have had 5 months to figure out that the Bills traded two first round picks for the pick they took Watkins with ... and you still can't get it.

Please tell me you are still in middle school and there is something wrong with you.

Z

And I love the saying that the Bills gave up 2 number #1's lol. I just find that laughable. In reality we gave up one #1 in 2015. We switched picks and got your higher #1 pick in 2014. So saying we gave up our #1 pick in 2014 is ridiculous in my opinion.

Einstein. To draft Watkins....

You gave your 1st pick in 2015 to the Browns(thats one)

AND

You gave your 1st pick in 2014 to the NFL (thats two)

Doh. Is it really THAT hard to count to 2?

Cause I dont think ANY TEAM has EVER given 2 picks for a WR???? Green, Bryant, Johnson, Gordon, Owens, Moss, Fitzgerald, Rice, Swann, Largent, Sharpe, etc ALL cost one pick. Not 2.

So the same brilliant guys that drafted Manuel in the first, also paid double for a WR that touches the ball about 5-8 times a game.

1or 2 or 3. Does it matter?

I think those brilliant guys have a better record than us, so I wouldn't Pound our chests too hard.

They also have a super star in the making, and we have GilBURNT and a draft pick that may not turn out.

wow. where did you come from?

really?

Do we care to revisit our drafting record?

Really?

We've blown our share of firsts, seconds and thirds, and we're going to pretend we won that trade?

I'm pissed because we've passed up a lot of stars, and draft picks don't mean shit to me unless they produce. Enough clunkers n our past should tell us to take the stars instead of the potential Mingos..

What's this "we" shit?

Pretty sure that was Farmer's first draft.

Pretty sure rookie corners always struggle for a period.

Pretty sure every All Pro corner in the league struggled in their first 5+ games.

Not so sure you're a Browns fan.

Z

This exact sentiment right here is why I made this thread. WHen we passed on Watkins I didn't even think twice about the notion that the NFL had already secretly told the FO that Gordon would not go down for the whole year and only just be a couple games. I thought no effing way they pass on Watkins if they didn't have some kind of early warning about the nature of Gordons suspension. WHen the year thing came down on Gordon I was dumbfounded. Utterly dumbfounded.

This exact sentiment right here is why I made this thread. WHen we passed on Watkins I didn't even think twice about the notion that the NFL had already secretly told the FO that Gordon would not go down for the whole year and only just be a couple games. I thought no effing way they pass on Watkins if they didn't have some kind of early warning about the nature of Gordons suspension. WHen the year thing came down on Gordon I was dumbfounded. Utterly dumbfounded.

although i DO respect both you and walter there should be no discussion. i'm saying it's over and finute.

if we want to start a thread of what coulda-beens i could seriously se us bitching back and forth for years.

Ok while I agree that Gordon and Watkins would be near unstoppable when Hoyer is on his game....you evidently haven't seen our defensive play. In no way shape or form would be playing for the superbowl with this defense. No way.

Perhaps Watkins has better physical attributes than other prospects, but he still wasnt a need for the Browns. .

I couldn't disagree more, sorry. WHile I admit our WR's have overachieved, before the season everyone was projecting WR as our most urgent need seeing as nobody was thinking Gordon would go down for less than 8 games. WR has been a need for years. Gordon only came on at the end of last season and god only knows what's next for him. He could get caught doing coke off a Brazilian hooker butthole during the superbowl and what then? He'll go down for a year "if we're lucky". In reality he gets one more strike the Browns organization will be done with him and we all know it. A #1 type WR was absolutely a necessity in last years draft, but yes so was a CB. Right now it absolutely looks like we missed, again. If Watkins keeps progressing Gilberts gonna have to be the next the Revis to balance the equation.

We didnt miss if we drafted a CB in Gilbert that comes into his own.

Its too fucking early.

Rather horrid thread and debate. Watkins could be injury prone and never play a full season. COULDA WOULDA SHOULDA

What is helping the Brown's case? Not supporting them? What the fuck do you wanna do to fix this then dude? Go call up Ray Farmer and do what? Jack shit, who had an excellent draft with dudes from all rounds contributing immediately.

You are a bills fan. Go root for Buffalo. Cant wait til they play the Browns. We will see if O or D matters more in this league

Trouble is that we don't have a studded out secondary, and we don't have a studded out receiving corp either.. Gilbert is hardly stud material. It would have been better to have had Watkins, who is going to be a super star.This guy is a bomb, ready to go off every time he has the ball.

Gilbert may not be playing like Patrick Peterson- YET. Can't you get it through your thick head it's FAR too early to make that assumption?

So throwing in the towel for Gilbert in week 9, and might as well fire farmer.

We can't go back in time for Watkins, and its too early to tell who got the better end of the bargain.

Yeah- those bitching we didn't take Watkins need a little history lesson, and a look at the standings. We sure blew it not taking Julio Jones. Well even WITH Julio Jones, Roddy White, and a decent qb in Matt Ryan the Falcon's record is currently a blazing 2-6. Even if you want to say they got jobbed by a bad Ref call in London- they're still 3-5.

Complete idiot!!! Yes we did trade that. You forget to mention we traded our 2014 for YOURS!!!!!! Which was higher!!!!!!!! It's swapping picks we just didnt hand over two picks. U didnt get two first! U got one! We got your first in 2014 moron! That's swapping. And we got a star and u got a half way decent corner. enjoy it.

I'd expect you to know your draft history a little better. I'll grant you that we merely swapped first round picks- but you're forgetting something- you most certainly DID give up two picks. You had better hope Sammy turns out upper echelon HOF- because you gave up a ton to get him. Could have stood pat, taken Kelvin Benjamin- who BTW is also having a very studly year and given up NOTHING. You're also minus a first round pick next year- that I bet you're going to wish you had, when all is said and done.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/5/8/5695584/2014-nfl-draft-results-buffalo-bills-pick-sammy-watkins-trade-up

1or 2 or 3. Does it matter?

I think those brilliant guys have a better record than us, so I wouldn't Pound our chests too hard.

They also have a super star in the making, and we have GilBURNT and a draft pick that may not turn out.

Broken record, broken record- please come back after you spit out those sour grapes. FWIW- I doubt anyone knows the Browns past track record of draft flops since 1999 better than I do- I've even listed them in disgusting detail more than once. We've passed on a couple sure fire HOFers in that time span- the most notable being Ladanian Tomlinson. Could have had Kurt Warner in the expansion draft- in case you didn't know. What's past is past- and it can't be undone. Farmer isn't Dwight Clark, Butch Davis, Phil Savage, or Mike Holmgren- and he can't be blamed for past mistakes- some of which were whoppers. Farmer didn't draft Mohammed Massivedrop, Brian Slowbiski, or David Vekiune instead of LeSean McCoy either, so give it a rest.

Do we care to revisit our drafting record?

Really?

We've blown our share of firsts, seconds and thirds, and we're going to pretend we won that trade?

I'm pissed because we've passed up a lot of stars, and draft picks don't mean shit to me unless they produce. Enough clunkers n our past should tell us to take the stars instead of the potential Mingos..

So George, you not only want to throw Gilbert under the bus after seven games, sure looks like you're tossing Farmer in right beside. Bitonio, West, Crowell, Gabriel, K'wan Williams (+ Ace in the hole) Manziel say otherwise. FYI, there's not a GM alive that doesn't miss occasionally on a draft pick, and ragging on about Gilbert is a terrible case of tunnel vision.

One thing I must say is that Cleveland did blow it by not drafting Julio, AJ Green, etc.

That being said, I think the Gilbert pick will pay off, he is starting to show some of his talent.

Watkins may have the faster start right now, but Gilbert will be solid once he gets more used to playing in the NFL.

For some, their impact is immediate, for other players, it takes time.

Brownies lucked out and have some ammo in next year's draft. I'd say we take a WR and an OL in the first, DL, LB in the 2nd and 3rd, TE in the 4th, and round out the draft by adding depth to our secondary, o-line, backers, you get the idea.

2015 will be the year Cleveland breaks out and goes 11-5, or remains stagnant and is a modest 8-8, depending on how the draft/FA works out

The proof will be in the pudding. Come later this year the Browns and Bills play. And how often do we think that we will see Justin Gilbert covering Sammy Watkins?

It would be fresh if they were matched up most of the game.....and fresher yet if Gilbert dominated Watkins.......though I suspect that Watkins will probably have to deal with Joe Haden a lot more than he has to deal with Gilbert.

I was as big of a Watkins booster as there was around here... and when the draft got to us at #4 and Mack was still on the board, I was all in for Khalil. There were other strong WR prospects in the 2014 draft, but no LBs.

Then when the trade was announced and Gilbert was announced, I was fine with that outcome.

Do I wish Gilbert had started stronger? Sure... but I've seen enough progress to believe that his promise will be realized.

Orton is, and always has been, a good backup QB. If bills fans think he's the future idk what they're high on.

Dangerously close to channeling Stockton there... :o

Please provide a link to definitive proof of this conspiracy.

The best google can find is a MKC article referencing a "unnamed league source" saying what you claim. And we know how scrupulously MKC checks her references...

You realize that by this logic we got your 2015 #1 for nothing...

So much for our Bills visitors being the most reasonable and rational we get...

Exceptions to every rule, I guess...

You realize that by this logic we got your 2015 #1 for nothing...

So much for our Bills visitors being the most reasonable and rational we get...

"logic" <- and there's your problem. With a lot of football fans in general, not just this guy.

Watkins was just voted rookie of the month. It may take Gilbert AND Hayden to keep him in check.

I guess the point is that if you have an early first rounder, he better be productive on day one. When it takes time to develop, and he isn't an instant contributor, he may be blossoming at contract time like everyone else, which doesn't help the Browns.

Barring injury you're hoping guys drafted in the top 10 are going to be playing in the NFL for 10 years. To be crying that Gilbert hasn't been voted defensive rookie of the month yet (after all of seven games) is silly. Yeah- it's nice to hope your top 10 pick will come right in and have an immediate impact- but it doesn't always work out that way. By the above warped logic, Jaguars fans should be bitching Blake Bortles isn't playing like Peyton Manning yet.

If you weren't looking Gilbert had his best game against the Raiders by far. As Tour said- he's stating to show the reason why he was drafted @ #8. And you want to talk no immediate impact- Darqueze Dennard (who was touted almost equally highly- or even higher on some draft boards) is currently buried third string on the Bengals depth chart behind the likes of Dre Kirkpatrick (who's rapidly proving he is a bust) and ancient Adam Jones.

Fuck Watkins and all the other guys we DIDNT pick. You can have him. Your happy, we're happy. He's not a Brown. We dont care.

Why not come back when he wins something, instead of GUESSING how things will turn out.

Call me when Watkins has DOUBLE the other top WR's numbers, cause thats what he cost. Double. So, Right now he's not even a top ten wr, but cost twice as much.(not even the best rookie wr if your asking me)(rather have Cooks or Benjiman)

Lets wait and see which team develops over the next 2-3 years, which is when this deal will start to play out. And we will see how much Mr. Superstar WR Watkins wins, compared to Mr. Gilbert, Maziel, Bitonio, West, Crowell and nexts years 2 first rounders.

we will be here, but somehow suspect you Buff guys wont be gloating in 2 years. Nope. (u gloat like a goat, btw)

Josh Gordon= 2nd round

Terrell Owens= 3rd round

* will be waiting to see Sammy exceed TO or even JG's 120 ypg from last year(with Weeden and Campbell). 2 first round picks ought to get you LOTS more than that, Im thinking.

I remember JG got 280 yards against Jax last year, then Jax came back and scored at the end to win. Then we went to NE and had them on the ropes. JG was FANTASTIC and had another big day(150+ yards), then Tom Brady scored 3 touchdowns in like a minute and won.

Now, after we scored all those points and JG runs up and down the field with ease, then we completely choke and collapse defensively and lose the games - yeah, Im certain the coaches and FO were saying... "Damn, we need a wide receiver"....holy fucking jesus lays an egg

U think Sammy would have stopped Brady from scoring all those points? Or he would have stopped Jax from that scoring drive?

Nope. Farmer made a GREAT choice. He completely fleeced the Bills, who in turn, completely fleeced their fans by sacrificing their teams growth for the "pretty" pick. Until Watkins shit's out a Lombardi Trophy on his own, I dont need to hear anymore about him.

How'd your boy Sammy do against a real CB like Revis?? Was it 2 catches, 27 yards??

Call me when he (or your whole team for that matter) beats somebody decent, and who gameplans against him...

Can't wait to watch Watkins and Haden matchup. That'll tell you something about your "Golden Boy"...

Archived