THE BROWNS BOARD

We blew it on Watkins.

Clevfan4life

Until Watkins is paired with a real qb we can't even begin to calculate his upside. He's done what's he's done this year with awful QB play. That kid would be leading the NFL with Hoyer throwing to him. Ok not the Hoyer from the JAX game but good Brian Hoyer from the first 5 or so games. If you just added Watkins production in Buffalo, with their shitty QB's...he'd have us at the top of the AFC North. We may have only lost one game up till now. But like I said you put him on our WR corp and his numbers would be even greater. Who knows, you might even be able to take the JAX game off the board because Watkins would have drawn more of their coverage downfield and some other things may have opened up..perhaps the run game. I dunno. I'm just saying that's the kind of impact player he is "right now"...I feel almost 100% confident that with him on our team we'd have "at least" two of those losses off the board. Given what our offense has done so far and what Hoyer did through the first couple games.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until Watkins is paired with a real qb we can't even begin to calculate his upside. He's done what's he's done this year with awful QB play. That kid would be leading the NFL with Hoyer throwing to him. Ok not the Hoyer from the JAX game but good Brian Hoyer from the first 5 or so games. If you just added Watkins production in Buffalo, with their shitty QB's...he'd have us at the top of the AFC North. We may have only lost one game up till now. But like I said you put him on our WR corp and his numbers would be even greater. Who knows, you might even be able to take the JAX game off the board because Watkins would have drawn more of their coverage downfield and some other things may have opened up..perhaps the run game. I dunno. I'm just saying that's the kind of impact player he is "right now"...I feel almost 100% confident that with him on our team we'd have "at least" two of those losses off the board. Given what our offense has done so far and what Hoyer did through the first couple games.

A lot of guessing and excuses here. You can't make any of those claims.

A lot of guessing and excuses here. You can't make any of those claims.

yes it's true I can't make them with "absolute" certainty. Sammy Watkins could have come here to Cleveland and been a bum. Instead he went to Buffalo and was like at least it's not Cleveland and decided to play hard for them. I just cna't see how at least the first Pgh and Blt games wouldn't have gone our way with that dude flying through those, at least at the time, awful secondaries.

Until Watkins is paired with a real qb we can't even begin to calculate his upside. He's done what's he's done this year with awful QB play.

Really? The last 4 games their "awful QB play" has looked like this:

95 of 141, 67.4% 1128 yards, 9 TDs, 3 INTs, 104.0 QB Rating

Jeez... that's awful...

yes it's true I can't make them with "absolute" certainty. Sammy Watkins could have come here to Cleveland and been a bum. Instead he went to Buffalo and was like at least it's not Cleveland and decided to play hard for them. I just cna't see how at least the first Pgh and Blt games wouldn't have gone our way with that dude flying through those, at least at the time, awful secondaries.

I'm talking about how you said we'd be 6-1, Watkins would be leading the NFL with Hoyer, etc. Not whether or not he'd be good.

I'm talking about how you said we'd be 6-1, Watkins would be leading the NFL with Hoyer, etc. Not whether or not he'd be good.

It's the first Blt and Pgh games that we lost by 3 points. I can't help but feel that as well as our offense has played, putting that guy on our team is at least 1 extra TD a game either from him or someone else like Cameron who would have gotten less attention. Imo Watkins is that good. One extra TD in both of those games is the "minimum" in my eyes. Either an extra TD or a couple extra field goals. In either case I think he helps us make up at least those 3 points in both games.

Pure speculation. FWIW, no one is saying Watkins isn't any good, or potentially going to be an eventual top 10 wr. What just about everyone else on this board is saying- we didn't draft him, and it's time to move on. I also pointed out Julio Jones IS a top 10 wr #6 in yards- look it up, and the Falcons are 2-6. Big impact? Not really.

It's the first Blt and Pgh games that we lost by 3 points. I can't help but feel that as well as our offense has played, putting that guy on our team is at least 1 extra TD a game either from him or someone else like Cameron who would have gotten less attention. Imo Watkins is that good. One extra TD in both of those games is the "minimum" in my eyes. Either an extra TD or a couple extra field goals. In either case I think he helps us make up at least those 3 points in both games.

So start him in your fantasy league, because he won't be playing for the Browns anytime soon.

Farmer made that trade because in his eyes Watkins wasn't worth a future first and fourth round pick. He's not thinking just THIS YEAR- no great GM does. So Watkins could be even more incredibly great, IF the Bills just had a great quarterback? So where do you suppose they're going to get one in the foreseeable future, short of an alien spaceship depositing one in Rich Stadium? They don't have a first round pick next year- so the only way they could possibly trade back up into the low first is sacrifice their second and third round picks- which essentially leaves them with no draft- or start trading away key defensive players to move up- and you never get fair value for a player come draft day. BTW, the Patriots got Randy Moss for a fourth round pick. If Farmer wants to go the trade route to get a complimentary wr for Gordon, he's got plenty of ammo to do so.

A touchdown a game from a rookie WR? Yah.

Well, Farmer had a chance to draft greatness, and he chose another potential bust, and a draft pick instead..

If this doesn't pan out, add Farmer to the giant scrap heap of "great" cleveland General managers.

I'm just a little tired of bust draft picks that keep piling up..

Good lord, this gets very old very quickly. 9 posts in and you've already proven yourself an idiot.

Best to keep quiet and be suspected an idiot, and all that.

Instead u will get a late 20's pick, probably a guard or CB LOL.

Next year, we will pick THREE players before the Bills pick even one. So you all can watch Sammy highlights, while we pick players.

Id also point out that K. Benjiman was a late 20's pick and he's playing as well as Sammy. It would be extra freaking hilarious if the Browns tapped a star receiver with that Bills pick. Yes it would.

And the Bills will not even pick until at least #45(or later). Let's see if they draft ANOTHER wr to prove your point. k?

And with the 47th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select-----Amari Cooper WR------(Super Bowl baby!!!!)

And you say lol?????......I do believe that is our line......;)

Next year, we will pick THREE players before the Bills pick even one. So you all can watch Sammy highlights, while we pick players.

Id also point out that K. Benjiman was a late 20's pick and he's playing as well as Sammy. It would be extra freaking hilarious if the Browns tapped a star receiver with that Bills pick. Yes it would.

And the Bills will not even pick until at least #45(or later). Let's see if they draft ANOTHER wr to prove your point. k?

And with the 47th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select-----Amari Cooper WR------(Super Bowl baby!!!!)

And you say lol?????......I do believe that is our line...... ;)

Brandin Cooks, 20th overall. He'll do, or Benjamin.

I don't think Benjamin or Cooks will be as good as Watkins in the long run.

In fact the rookie receiver who's impressed me the most (beside Watkins) is John Brown for the Arizona Cardinals. Played for Pittsburgh State.

We don't need a hall of fame receiver - if Gordon stays on the field, he'll be that. We need another capable player, that can at least draw a little coverage, and stop the D focusing on Gordon. Benjamin or Cooks would be very good complements to Gordon.

Of course, if Gordon ends up out of the league in a year or two, we're back looking for the big time receiver.

Sure, it's not compulsory. Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson aren't doing much for Washington, and Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans are doing less for Tampa. Megatron is still ringless.

But when you look at the group of people we've had the last few years, outside of Gordon - Little, Bess, Josh Cooper, Mohammed Massequoi, Brian Robiskie - you understand that you need at least serviceable people that either the QB can throw open, or the OC can scheme open.

And as it stands, we do have an elite WR in Gordon, so even though it's not necessary, we have one, so lets be happy with that.

And as it stands, we do have an elite WR in Gordon, so even though it's not necessary, we have one, so lets be happy with that.

I am happy with JG. Thats my point. One star receiver, coupled with some serviceable ones and a decent TE, is all we need to win.

And, even with all those duds you listed(and, wow, they really sucked) Farmer was able to flip(and vastly improve) the WHOLE receiver corps without burning a single draft pick. I think we're on the same page here. ;)

I am happy with JG. Thats my point. One star receiver, coupled with some serviceable ones and a decent TE, is all we need to win.

And, even with all those duds you listed(and, wow, they really sucked) Farmer was able to flip(and vastly improve) the WHOLE receiver corps without burning a single draft pick. I think we're on the same page here. ;)

I think so. Love in time - I quite enjoy reading your posts on here, generally well reasoned and level headed.

Anyway, I did a little research - we have 11 players currently on the roster, who were on the roster, PS or IR at the end of the 2011 season:

Cameron

Thomas

Mack

Greco

Rubin

Sheard

Taylor

Haden

Skrine

Craig Robertson (PS)

And Christian Yount. Obviously.

For comparison, I did a similar check, and the Packers have 26.

WR least important? Not seeing that at all...

Elite QBs can win without a strong WR corps... but they all want one.

For the bulk of the QBs, the "good" QBs, a strong #1 and strong #2 are borderline essential. The balance can be role players.

Then there are QBs that not even 3 strong WRs can help...

WR least important? Not seeing that at all...

Elite QBs can win without a strong WR corps... but they all want one.

For the bulk of the QBs, the "good" QBs, a strong #1 and strong #2 are borderline essential. The balance can be role players.

Then there are QBs that not even 3 strong WRs can help...

OK, think of it this way. If you're making every player in the league a free agent, and then holding a league-wide, 22-round draft to re-assign a starting 11 on O and D, at what point do you draft a WR? My guess is you go something like:

QB

LT

DE/OLB

CB

DL

OL

Then somewhere around here you look at WRs. I'm sure a few like Megatron go higher, to teams that maybe don't get an elite QB, but it's around the same time you're drafting TEs, RBs, OGs, and your 'fill in' D players.

Well, Farmer had a chance to draft greatness, and he chose another potential bust, and a draft pick instead..

If this doesn't pan out, add Farmer to the giant scrap heap of "great" cleveland General managers.

I'm just a little tired of bust draft picks that keep piling up..

Will you give it a rest already ragging on Gilbert? Totally oblivious to the rest of what Farmer assembled in in one off-season.

Let's have a contest of the worst, most ignorant threads started on this board.

This one will be nominated very quickly.....

I've had thoughts of locking it Cal- lots of ignorance floating around in it.

Sure, it's not compulsory. Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson aren't doing much for Washington, and Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans are doing less for Tampa. Megatron is still ringless.

But when you look at the group of people we've had the last few years, outside of Gordon - Little, Bess, Josh Cooper, Mohammed Massequoi, Brian Robiskie - you understand that you need at least serviceable people that either the QB can throw open, or the OC can scheme open.

Exactly. You need guys who run decent routes, are faster than the Brian Robiskis of the world, and have better hands than Greg Little. I agree with Tour to an extent- your #1 & #2 guys better at least be well above average.

OK, think of it this way. If you're making every player in the league a free agent, and then holding a league-wide, 22-round draft to re-assign a starting 11 on O and D, at what point do you draft a WR?

Bam!! Very good perspective.

Id give up my first 2 picks AND go for a WR. Hahahaha

I'm happy with JG too, when he's on the field. But are you really saying you think Gordon is over his problems and there's no way in hell he's gonna get his 4th strike? Cause next time it's "at least" a year. This is why it was so important to get a #1 either through the draft or FA this year.

My guess is you go something like:

QB / LT / DE-OLB / CB / DL / OL

Two things:

• Not really that close to my order... In general, I'm an up the middle guy.
  • Odd how far that order is (and mine would be) from a Fantasy order, where top RBs go first.

I'm happy with JG too, when he's on the field. But are you really saying you think Gordon is over his problems...

I thought this whole last episode was 2nd hand smoke and was bullshit, yes, over...

Archived