THE BROWNS BOARD

The SEC Myth

The Gipper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not mad at all.. I gave OSU a 50/50 chance and kudos to them.. The SEC is down this yr even tho apparently Iowa didn't get the memo.. The SEC HAS been dominant.. Denying that is ludicrous.. Are things starting to even out? It looks like it might. If OSU/ALA played 10 times.. It might go 5/5.. Good luck next week, Oregon looked mighty tough! Tho FSU was over rated.

I believe in both 2006 and 2007 the SEC had a losing bowl record. But you'd never know because when Florida and LSU won the title games, that means they're the end all- be all.

Not mad at all.. I gave OSU a 50/50 chance and kudos to them.. The SEC is down this yr even tho apparently Iowa didn't get the memo.. The SEC HAS been dominant.. Denying that is ludicrous.. Are things starting to even out? It looks like it might. If OSU/ALA played 10 times.. It might go 5/5.. Good luck next week, Oregon looked mighty tough! Tho FSU was over rated.

The SEC has had some dominant teams, but the league has not been dominant, not really.....unless you mean dominance of all the cupcakes they schedule.

As I noted....this year anyway, that conference did not play a single game vs. the Pac 12....which probably really is the dominant conference.. If they did their .500 record against the other power conferences would probably have been much worse.

I believe in both 2006 and 2007 the SEC had a losing bowl record. But you'd never know because when Florida and LSU won the title games, that means they're the end all- be all.

Yes, my point being that one dominant school does not make a dominant conference.

If the SEC continues to schedule cupcakes then the selection committee will hold that against them in future years.

Of the Power 5 conferences the Big Ten scheduled the most games against the other 4 (plus Notre Dame), the SEC the least.

Yes, my point being that one dominant school does not make a dominant conference.

If the SEC continues to schedule cupcakes then the selection committee will hold that against them in future years.

Of the Power 5 conferences the Big Ten scheduled the most games against the other 4 (plus Notre Dame), the SEC the least.

The SEC will continue to schedule those cupcakes. That way they can stay at home in the south and not travel anywhere west or north.

If they start scheduling big ten or pac 12 teams they will have to do the home-and-home series and they don't want that.

The SEC will continue to schedule those cupcakes. That way they can stay at home in the south and not travel anywhere west or north.

If they start scheduling big ten or pac 12 teams they will have to do the home-and-home series and they don't want that.

Yes, that is true.....though I do think that Tennessee and Ohio St. have a home and home series coming up. I also understand the concept that "we can make more money by playing home games in front of 80-100K people against cupcakes than going on the road to play a tough opponent and thereby losing a home game". All major schools do that, OSU included.....but they usually will schedule at least 1 or two games vs. the other conferences.

The SEC West was all smoke and mirrors, primarily because of the Mississippi schools. Neither Ole Miss nor MSU scheduled a single non-conference game against a power conference opponent....choosing instead to both schedule 4 cupcakes. While those schools did make a reputation by beating Auburn and Alabama respectively....the fact is they gained their reputation merely by committing incest....I mean, they couldn't get laid except to do it with their sisters.

This really shows how an actual playoff is better than no playoffs(though much rather see it expanded to 6 or 8 teams). If they had used the BCS system this year, it would have been FSU(an undefeated power 5 conference team) vs Alabama(1 loss SEC team), while Oregon and OSU would have played in the Rose Bowl.

At the very least the BIG 12 can quit crying about OSU being selected above them.

This really shows how an actual playoff is better than no playoffs(though much rather see it expanded to 6 or 8 teams). If they had used the BCS system this year, it would have been FSU(an undefeated power 5 conference team) vs Alabama(1 loss SEC team), while Oregon and OSU would have played in the Rose Bowl.

At the very least the BIG 12 can quit crying about OSU being selected above them.

Except it would have been Alabama/Oregon who was ranked #2 by the committee.....though this committee would not have been in place. Who did like the Sagarin rankings put at the top 2 spots?

Archived