THE BROWNS BOARD

Gilbert - "I wasn't trying hard enough"

gftChris

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfh3G?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=cleveland-browns

BEREA: NFL rookies often believe they’re working hard enough when they should be working harder, and Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert fell into that trap earlier this season.

Defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil, secondary coach Jeff Hafley and assistant defensive backs coach Aaron Glenn urged Gilbert to improve his practice habits. Their words were reinforced as Gilbert reviewed practice film.

“I could see that I wasn’t giving 100 percent effort on a lot of plays,” Gilbert said Thursday. “I just tried to focus more on doing that.”

Gilbert, the eighth overall pick in this year’s draft, has changed the way he practices, and the results are evident. After struggling in the preseason and through the vast majority of the first five regular-season games, Gilbert has performed well the past two weeks and hopes to continue the trend Sunday when the Browns (4-3) host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-6).

“It might have took awhile,” Gilbert said. “But I’m finally getting down things that I need to get down — just prepare like a pro and take it to game day.

“It’s just practicing harder. I’ve been practicing a lot harder. Everyone here can tell you that it’s showing up.”

O’Neil is among those who can attest.

“I think he’s learning how to be a pro,” O’Neil said. “He’s taking the coaching from the practice field to the game field, and he’s playing with more confidence. He’s having fun with his teammates. I know everybody hates the word ‘process,’ but when you get a young corner in this league, especially in our system, it’s hard. It’s very hard. Justin has done a nice job. He’s strung together two or three good weeks of practice now, and he’s played solid for the past two weeks. We just need to continue to make sure he’s going in the right direction.”

It continues. Not sure whether to be happy about this, or concerned. Probably happy.

Not so much worried "why" he hasn't played well, as it's not uncommon for a rookie CB to struggle. But am happy to know that he is working even harder and the light seems to be coming on. His play is clearly improving and should continue to do so for the next several years.

To my eye, he looks like he'll be a total stud and I have zero regrets over drafting him.

Good! This is only good news.

He struggled the first month of the season and instead of saying F it he tried to figure out the issue. Once he figured it out he worked his butt off the change it. Shows signs in a young player that I like to see.

He could have easily said "I'm good, it'll figure itself out." He didn't and as a top 10 draft pick, As a man who has been given millions for his football ability, and as a young kid it takes a lot of maturity to see it, find the cause, solve the issue and be blunt to the public about it. Much easier to be prideful.

Well done, Justin. Keep it up.

It took our coaching staff how many weeks to tell him he was dogging it in practice? Parcells probably would have had this discussion with the young man by Friday of the first week of training camp. This sounds like a little PR stunt from the Browns so fans get off Gilberts case. Which they have anyway. Why? Cause he's playing better. That's how you get fans to shut up.

First reaction: It just does not seem like it could be that simple.

He's a very gifted athlete that does need some refinement on off coverage and footwork. However a lot of that is in fact made up for by shear effort when you're a rookie.

If you aren't putting forth the time and best foot forward, then yeah, the results will suffer.

The step up from college is a big step. A lot of players learn that they can't just

use their excellent physical skills for the most part, in the games.

And I'm sure there is a big difference between telling a player that, and having them

really understand it.

The step up from college is a big step. A lot of players learn that they can't just

use their excellent physical skills for the most part, in the games.

And I'm sure there is a big difference between telling a player that, and having them

really understand it.

Yeah this is training camp week 1 there sunshine. Srsly. Week 1. In a nutshell It goes something like this. "Hey rookie..you think you some shit nigga? You ain't shit , now go wash my socks" Followed by a sound onfield lesson as to why you ain't shit. A good coaching staff has players "understanding it" before the season starts.

Culture shock.

Smack in the face.

He was the #8 pick for a reason.

Hopefully he's cluing into to what it takes to go from the College ranks to the Pros.

Here's to the hope that he keeps improving and becomes the dominating player we Drafted him to be.

you guys are hilarious.

why don't you hate on the #22 pick. there's where we should have picked a WR. farmer is a defensive guy as pettine. the pick of gilbert was no surprise to me. as far as him holding out......every player thru their agent does that nowadays.

did he miss TC or something?

you guys are hilarious.

why don't you hate on the #22 pick. there's where we should have picked a WR. farmer is a defensive guy as pettine. the pick of gilbert was no surprise to me. as far as him holding out......every player thru their agent does that nowadays.

I can't disagree with you. I was shocked they took JF given they went CB with the first. But I'm gonna stop before I start talking about the possiblity of having JF and Watkins in the same draft. I've been accused of having a hard on for Watkins, not entirely true....but throw JF in there and i might have to think about it. God that would ahve been an epic draft. If Hoyer had flat lined we could have had JF starting right around the time JG came back and Watkins would have had his ice bath blanket party for cumming in his pants before he crossed the goal line.

No... while he was the last of our picks to sign, he signed on rookie reporting day...

Hold outs just aren't what they used to be.

It took our coaching staff how many weeks to tell him he was dogging it in practice? Parcells probably would have had this discussion with the young man by Friday of the first week of training camp. This sounds like a little PR stunt from the Browns so fans get off Gilberts case. Which they have anyway. Why? Cause he's playing better. That's how you get fans to shut up.

Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

When they aren't used to watching hours of video etc...

they realize that their talent isn't going to be superior enough

to get it done.

Big leagues, everybody was a terrific college player in the pros.

Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

Agreed. And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled. Most assume they will be instant starters, and eventually, all pro millionaires. And a lot of teams bow to this and kiss their asses or bow to public pressure and play em just to justify the pick and please everyone.

MAD PROPS to Pettine AND Farmer for sitting the 2 highest picks, while playing UDFA's in their place. Wakes both the "entitled" kiddies up AND shows the FO has BIG BALLS and doesn't bow to media pressure like 1/2 the teams in the league do.

Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

I have most certainly not labeled Gilbert a bust and I am admitting his play has improved, so not sure where you're coming from. If it comes from my other thread about Watkins I never said Gilbert wasn't showing improvement, but that up to now the production from the two isn't even comparable...which it isn't and nobody can debate that. My post in this thread was not bashing Gilbert either, I was more annoyed with the coaching staff that took 8 weeks to tell a rookie he wasn't practicing hard enough...."IF" that story is even true which I don't believe it to be.

I daresay there might just be a little more to it than "he's trying harder". It's about learning to be

a professional. Learning how to prepare. Watching film until you're sick of it. Then watching even

more film. Yes, he's big and can run really fast. So can everyone else in the NFL. Wasn't it Couch who

said that in college you face 2 or 3 guys who will really hit you hard. In the NFL, everyone hits you hard.

When Vinnie Interceptaverdi came to Cleveland, the qb coach was appalled that he didn't know how to

break down game film. He watched it like a fan watches a game. In Jerry Rice's rookie season he dropped

balls, ran the wrong routes, etc.

It's a process. Learning how to become a professional. Not everyone gets it right off the bat.

Gilbert most likely meant "I wasn't working hard enough. I wasn't focusing enough". Whatever.

His play has noticeably improved. He looks like he's getting better. Are we really bitching because

it took a little longer for it to sink in?

And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled.

I daresay there might just be a little more to it than "he's trying harder". It's about learning to be

a professional. Learning how to prepare.

Nothing I have seen in any interview with Gilbert suggests "entitlement". DA's case rings truer with me, but I would put it slightly different.

I think it's a case of Gilbert having to learn how to practice.

Just as highly intelligent students often fail to develop good study habits, outstanding natural athletes often fail to develop sound practice habits.

Nothing I have seen in any interview with Gilbert suggests "entitlement"

Ok maybe not the best word to describe Gilbert specifically, but more as a general description for high first rounders. I would guess that "most" think they will be starting, as they always have started and the team has just made a large investment in them. So their high confidence, coupled with their high draft pick status, might make then feel like they are destined to start and succeed, based solely on the fact that they always have in the past. THEN they get a rude wake up call and realize everyone is as talented and the ones that work hardest are the ones that succeed. So, yeah, I think they feel a little entitled, but not in a cocky snobbish way, but more of a naive way.

I have most certainly not labeled Gilbert a bust and I am admitting his play has improved, so not sure where you're coming from. If it comes from my other thread about Watkins I never said Gilbert wasn't showing improvement, but that up to now the production from the two isn't even comparable...which it isn't and nobody can debate that. My post in this thread was not bashing Gilbert either, I was more annoyed with the coaching staff that took 8 weeks to tell a rookie he wasn't practicing hard enough...."IF" that story is even true which I don't believe it to be.

That wasn't directed at you- and you should know who it is directed against. DUH. It's directed against some guy who thinks every first round draft pick should come in and play at a pro bowl level from day one, or they're a "bust". .

MHO is Gilbert played OK today- not great- but good enough. The doofus-es who are bashing him don't realize he has a couple things Haden and Skrine don't have- he's taller than either and has better track speed.

He still has a long way to go. I'm not seeing consistent play from him. He gave up a TD last week giving too much room and being late reacting to the quick sideline pass. Today he was easily fooled on a double move (was also injured on the play). He's got a lot of potential but right now, he's tyre biggest disappointment of the draft.

Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

Why are you lumping Chudzinski into the pusscakes category of coaches? I thought he was alright. Whoever made the call to bump Hoyer a string up and start last year, that was a ballsy call.

Shurmer was about as uninspiring as toast.

Shurmer was about as uninspiring as toast.

I see no need to insult toast...

Waitin' on an injury update. If Gilbert misses any time due to concussion protocol, that'll concern me. That hit with Whitner did not look that violent.

Easy to say siting on the couch I know, but upon a time in HS a dude hit me so hard that it ripped a chunk out of my helmet where the chin strap snap anchored... I just went to the storage room and got a new one.

Archived