THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Hoyer-hating seems misguided and misplaced

Mark O

Since our resident Manziel knob polishers like to hang on every written word that says that Manziel should be playing, here's another side that says what the rest of us have been saying.

By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

CLEVELAND -- There was a lot of Twitter noise during Sundays 22-17 victory over Tampa Bay about replacing Brian Hoyer at quarterback with Johnny Manziel.

Its difficult to say that Twitter is an accurate reflection of the feelings of the masses, but there was enough negative commentary to think the Browns lost by 20.

At the stadium, two fans in front of the press box kept pointing to their watch and raising two fingers to say "time for 2?"

That leads to a simple question: Why?

Why ask that question about going to the backup when Hoyer was in the middle of a 300-yard, two-touchdown game? Because things werent perfect on every play? Because the Browns, a team that is growing, had to work to beat winless Oakland and one-win Tampa Bay?

Hoyer is not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he has played very effectively for the Browns. And he had a 300-yard game against Tampa Bay despite missing three Pro Bowl players: Jordan Cameron, Josh Gordon and Alex Mack.

[+] EnlargeBrian Hoyer

AP Photo/David Richard

Brian Hoyer, shown going over the game plan with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and backup Johnny Manziel on Sunday, is still regarded as a caretaker by many Browns fans.In a 5-3 start, Hoyer has:

Won four of the last five, including a record-setting comeback in Tennessee and a thumping of Pittsburgh;

Won five-of-eight in the first half, setting the Browns up for an exciting second half that will include games that (gasp) matter;

Won 7 of 10 games hes started and finished for the Browns;

Thrown for 10 touchdowns and four interceptions, with a 90.3 rating and 2,013 yards, putting him on pace for 4,000 in 16 games this season;

Guided three fourth-quarter comeback wins in 2014 (over Tennessee, New Orleans and Tampa Bay), and one other in 2013 (over Minnesota);

Come back from a 27-3 deficit in Pittsburgh to tie, and a 28-3 deficit in Tennessee to win.

The negatives: He has a completion percentage of 57.9 percent, which is low but pales compared to the won-lost record. The offense also has inconsistency during games that tackle Joe Thomas said is in part caused by Hoyers willingness to throw the ball away or take a sack rather than force a bad play.

Hoyer had one clunker of a game this season, in Jacksonville. That clunker seems to have affected the thinking of many, but not the coaching staff, which has never made a call to the bullpen to have Manziel warm up, much less for him to take a snap.

Then there is this tidbit: The team reported that Hoyer is the first Browns quarterback to throw for 200 yards in each of the first eight games of the season since Brian Sipe in 1983.

There is little reason at this point not to believe that the Browns belong to Hoyer for the rest of the season, and that Manziel wont play -- until Hoyer is hurt or the Browns are out of playoff contention.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Young was just on the radio and was asked WHY the Browns were winning....his answer was 2 words.....Brian Hoyer(period)

I dont know, but somehow I trust Steve Youngs opinion a little more than a bunch of jaded fans.

Wait...you mean that you think Steve Young knows more about playing quarterback than some homo in a coral shirt who is in love with our backup QB?

That's just crazy talk...

I agree with that. But I think the Johnny hatred is just as out of place and pointless.

WSS

Speaking only for myself...I don't hate Manziel. I loved the pick and thought he could bring some much needed attitude to this team. I only hate his fans who try to tell us after years of losing that we shouldn't enjoy winning because the wrong QB is playing. I don't give a damn who's playing QB as long as the Browns win games.

Speaking only for myself...I don't hate Manziel. I loved the pick and thought he could bring some much needed attitude to this team. I only hate his fans who try to tell us after years of losing that we shouldn't enjoy winning because the wrong QB is playing. I don't give a damn who's playing QB as long as the Browns win games.

Mark speaks for me too

I think you spoke for a lot of us right there.

Most of the fans that I know have no problem with JFF, but are worn out and sick of the manziel/hoyer debate.

Its really just the Manzeilots and their constant whining that we HATE.

Hoyers handling the situation he's in well, and playing well.

People just have the mindset that any time we struggle it must be all because of the QB, which isn't the case.

Could Johnny do better given the situation? Maybe, but I for one believe hoyer gives us the best chance to win (and I like winning!). I'd rather not throw johnny to the wolves with no center, small receivers, etc. unless Hoyer becomes a major contributor in losses, which he hasn't been - but he has been a contributor in winning.

I watched the Game at home yesterday, and a lot of the comentary from the FOX crew was about when would the Browns switch to JFF. Our issues are not at the QB position, Hoyer has played good enough to keep us in or win every game this year, our main issues are running the ball, stopping the run, and forcing 3 and outs.

I'd rather not throw johnny to the wolves with no center, small receivers, etc...

I have to admit, the drum beat has gotten so bad at times that I've teetered on wanting to throw JM in exactly the situation you describe (and worse).

Sink or swim...

Put up or...

I watched the Game at home yesterday, and a lot of the comentary from the FOX crew was about when would the Browns switch to JFF.

Just stoking the fire for story they've been dying to tell since OTAs...

I have to admit, the drum beat has gotten so bad at times that I've teetered on wanting to throw JM in exactly the situation you describe (and worse).

Just stoking the fire for story they've been dying to tell since OTAs...

me too.....there was a point, during TC, that I really just wanted him to go away. The distraction was too much. But things have quieted down A LOT.

The "reasonable" manzeilots now understand and can see that JFF just isn't ready and Hoyer is.

Add the fact that JOHNNY is also saying he aint ready and it leaves only the extra extra stupid ones that are still talking about it....

Hoyer has been the best qb the browns have had in a long time. Just look at what he's done with the swiss cheese o line and who to throw to (Cameron, Miles, Hawkins, Gabriel, Benji). We have one stud TE and a bunch of journeymen/scrub wrs. We now have no running game and a terrible problem at o line. but the dude still wins.

Haters gonna hate but Hoyer is a decent qb.

Depending on what happens Thursday...huge divisional game, national TV, missing 3 offensive pro bowlers, short week, on the road, etc...

I think this is a game where many fans will either buy in or sell on Hoyer depending on the outcome.

Regardless, I'm excited to be in this position and I wanna take advantage of it.

I agree with that. But I think the Johnny hatred is just as out of place and pointless.

WSS

I wasn't keen on the pick Steve, but JFF is part of our TEAM. The disgust is pointed at a few (and misguided IMO) Manzealots who aren't happy the wrong qb is winning games. Hoyer isn't good enough to be a franchise qb, blah, blah, blah. So? as I pointed out several qbs have taken their teams to- and won Super Bowls, and they weren't even as good as Hoyer is. I can live with a game manager qb, as long as he's winning. That Hoyer is the local kid making good is a great story.

The haters are saying we won ugly against a couple of lousy teams. Well- Brian beat them with essentially no running game to speak of.

Hoyer makes the throws when needed.. That's the bottom line.. Read up on Frank Ryan. The comparison to Me is uncanny... I don't hate Manziel. I was pretty excited we drafted him. But right now.. Hoyers the Man.

Exactly who are the Manzealots that are not happy that the wrong QB is winning? Point one out please.

It's not you Ag. Stockton is willing to bench a winning qb- just to see if Manziel is "the Answer". One of the other posters is already certain Gilbert is a bust. This isn't the only board I read either.

MHO is there will be plenty of time for a qb competition next OTAs and training camp. Having to put McDonald in at center opens up the possibility of Hoyer getting hurt.

I would hope JF fans are smart enough to back away from the table now that our offensive line is leaking like a sieve again. JF would be running for his life and would take a big smash trying to make something happen cause he can't stay in the pocket longer than 1.5 seconds. I like mobile QB's that extend plays, but if they have to start the "extending" 1.5 seconds after the snap this thing isn't going anywhere. Right now JF's skillset would still be wasted throwing him in there.

I would hope JF fans are smart enough to back away from the table now that our offensive line is leaking like a sieve again. JF would be running for his life and would take a big smash trying to make something happen cause he can't stay in the pocket longer than 1.5 seconds. I like mobile QB's that extend plays, but if they have to start the "extending" 1.5 seconds after the snap this thing isn't going anywhere. Right now JF's skillset would still be wasted throwing him in there.

Smash the middle and contain the edges, make him beat you throwing which he certainly could do, but we're not going to get the chance to see him try yet.

Exactly who are the Manzealots that are not happy that the wrong QB is winning? Point one out please.

really? here's one and the main one. there are some actual brown's fans that are manzealots too. they know who they are.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30747

Hoyer actually increased his league leading yards/completion and became the first Browns QB to pass for 200+ yards in a game in each of the first consecutive 8 games of the season since Sipe.

Offense missing three Pro Bowlers (Mack, Cameron, Gordon) but has put up enough points to win every week but one.

Unless you have Manning, Brady, Brees or Rodgers, which only 12% of the league does, then what you want is a guy who can give you a solid chance to win each week, and we have that.

But above all: We are winning games we used to lose.

Zombo

good, bad, or indifferent I think the loss to Jacksonville poisened the well, so to speak. I even heard people in the Media that should know better spouting off about how it was time to roll the dice on the rest of the season and start Manziel.

I'm happy with Hoyer behind center. It would be neat to see some more "Johnny" packages, but after seeing them in the first three or four games the Johnny package has went the way of the dodo bird, which tells me something about his current stated of preparedness........

Plus, what Zombo said. Just from listening to local (cleveland) radio at the start of the season, when we learned that Josh Gordon was going to be gone at least most of the season very few people thought we would be where we are - already better than last year with 1/2 the season to go.

It's not you Ag.

Yes, he is... he's just one of the good ones. ;)

I even heard people in the Media that should know better spouting off about how it was time to roll the dice on the rest of the season and start Manziel.

Just Media-folk looking for a story line... they have two at the ready. Hero or goat... makes no difference to them.

Archived