THE BROWNS BOARD

the affordable care act

Westside Steve

I understand that there aren't any real Obama lovers on this board even though quite a few guys defend him just to bicker but I thought I'd relay why less than pleasant experience with Obamacare.

This morning I opened up an email from my insurance provider, aetna, announcing that I had an to send me the fucking message they told me it was in navigator. Yes that's right rather than to send me the fucking message they told me it was in navigator. Period. At any rate it is nearly impossible to sign into at the navigator on the mobile site. As it turns out my policy, a very expensive policy 750 bucks a month for a single male and supplying no prescriptions whatsoever, was discontinued as of october 31st because, as the state, it no longer and eared to the guidelines obama care. (the representative told me in broken English that she had no other information and was very sorry) I called a friend who is an insurance agent and she was able to get to the bottom of it. Apparently Aetna sent me a notification that this would happen. The date? September 2013 and not a peep since. Now thanks to Obamacare no carriers writes paper policies, only online, and none during the month. The best I can do is to apply for coverage through another company and wait until the 1st of December.

So wish me luck for the next 27 days.

I would probably be more angry with the president if I thought he was competent enough to know what was in his bullshit plan. But it sucks. It sucks worse because I know people back in rural East Ohio with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank but yet still qualify for Medicaid. They waddle there inbred moron children to the emergency room with any ailment real or imagined. Why not? To quote Bluto from Animal House in the opening build a house pledge party, "have a beer, it don't cost nothing."

WSS

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Medicare thing seems like a halfway house to free healthcare, with the benefits of neither and the drawbacks of both.

Just my 2c looking in from the outside. It does, however, open up healthcare to some people who genuinely could not afford it before though, as I understand it.

the Medicare thing seems like a halfway house to free healthcare, with the benefits of neither and the drawbacks of both.

Just my 2c looking in from the outside. It does, however, open up healthcare to some people who genuinely could not afford it before though, as I understand it.

Medicare is for 65 and older which is paid into every month when you start working. Medicaid is the one I think you are referring to.

That's right Chris. Everyone gets Medicare at 65 though you might have to pay for a supplemental policy to take care of everything. Medicare is a free ride that you get when you are just too poor to get your shit together at all. Ironic that it's based on income so no matter how much you have in the bank if you only take and certain amount out you get it for free. Along with your food stamps and utilities. The utilities aren't exactly free but close to it. It just annoys me to work and pay for a service I think its valuable other people fuck off. But.... They do vote.

WSS

Medicaid is the fucking worst. The majority of people in WV are on government assistance so you can't get anything done quickly because they overflow the hospitals/doctor offices here. The healthcare facilities also try to bury you in bullshit they can bill you for because they presume everyone is on medicaid aka "free" government healthcare. I have private insurance and have to make sure they don't try to pull that shit on me.

Medicaid is the fucking worst. The majority of people in WV are on government assistance so you can't get anything done quickly because they overflow the hospitals/doctor offices here. The healthcare facilities also try to bury you in bullshit they can bill you for because they presume everyone is on medicaid aka "free" government healthcare. I have private insurance and have to make sure they don't try to pull that shit on me.

While we're talking about WV, let's hear it for the people on disability. You can usually find them on the golf course.

couldn't help but notice when we went out last night that every handicapped parking space was taken in front of the winking lizard. I didn't assume it would be that many handicapped people until it dawned on me that we have like what, tripled or quadrupled the number of people on disability? I assume they all get stickers for their new cars.

WSS

couldn't help but notice when we went out last night that every handicapped parking space was taken in front of the winking lizard. I didn't assume it would be that many handicapped people until it dawned on me that we have like what, tripled or quadrupled the number of people on disability? I assume they all get stickers for their new cars.

WSS

Yep. I worked briefly in the department that dealt with that kind of thing, and they were basically given out like candy.

What pisses me off is that the people on disability play more golf than I do.

when you don't have to go to work, golf is a great way to get rid of 4-5 hours of the day

I notice a lot of able bodied black people with handicap placards. Take from that what you will.

I notice most people with handicap placards are able bodied, regardless of their color

Yeah but a disproportionate number of the ones I see are black. I should qualify that. Out here in amherst where I live, morbidly obese handicaps are most common. In Cleveland not so much. Probably 40% of my workday consists of me driving from one place to the next so I get a fair amount of time observing my surroundings.

Is it true that you get a handicap placard for 10 years?

Even if your knee surgery clears up in 8 months?

I know a guy that had knee replacement surgery, which has a recovery time of around 8 months, and he got the placard, and that was over 5 years ago and he still has the placard. He gets around better now then he EVER did before the surgery.

I don't know of anyone who's ever gotten one that gives it up. How many people take the time to check the dates on them? I suppose most times they give them to you in the vague hope that you'll use the honor system to abstain from parking in those spaces once you're well, but few people have any honor.

I don't know of anyone who's ever gotten one that gives it up. How many people take the time to check the dates on them? I suppose most times they give them to you in the vague hope that you'll use the honor system to abstain from parking in those spaces once you're well, but few people have any honor.

I'm guessing once a person gets that parking spot, they are not giving it up. Honor has gone out the window, when self importance is in play. UNFORTUNATELY

As far as the OP - AFCA - aka ObamaCare didn't address a lot of what was wrong. Allowing all insurance companies to compete in all states would bring lower rates. Getting a handle on frivolous lawsuits

Of course I don't think the insurance companies really want to compete across state lines. And yes a handle on the frivolous lawsuits would be wonderful. Now let's recap. Who wrote this law? Democrat lawmakers his first job is attorney? So...

I'm fine with the public mandate, just like auto insurance.

WSS

It isn't just like auto insurance. Sorry, Steve, but requiring medical insurance,

to a certain amount of coverage, ...

you have the option of not driving. You don't have the option of not existing.

You can't afford the auto insurance, you can't afford to drive.

Besides, people who can't afford medical insurance, will either get it for free,

....or they will continue to go to emergency rooms. The biggest problem

with obamaocare, is that it interfered, and undermined, existing medical insurance

for many, many, many more millions of folks who had it already, and caused

many folks to lose theirs, because companies canceled out, pieces/parts.

The whole thing was a gigantic political lever for votes from their base. It was a fiasco.

I might agree with you if it were as simple as the difference between having the right to drive and the right to exist. Now if someone wants to say I don't have to pay for insurance but when I get sick I can't go to the emergency room for free then let's roll with that. But that's not the case.

Also if we go down that road why should we have to pay into Social Security? When you're broke you croak. Pay property tax for education if we have no children and or home schooled?

Personally I think if everyone has some skin in the game they will treat health care like the valuable commodity that it is. Even dirt poor people on Medicaid should pay something. Even if it's only the price of a carton of Marlboro Lights a week.

WSS

I might agree with you if it were as simple as the difference between having the right to drive and the right to exist. Now if someone wants to say I don't have to pay for insurance but when I get sick I can't go to the emergency room for free then let's roll with that. But that's not the case.

Also if we go down that road why should we have to pay into Social Security? When you're broke you croak. Pay property tax for education if we have no children and or home schooled?

Personally I think if everyone has some skin in the game they will treat health care like the valuable commodity that it is. Even dirt poor people on Medicaid should pay something. Even if it's only the price of a carton of Marlboro Lights a week.

WSS

The Supreme court allowed it because they said it is a tax, no more, no less. So, its not the same as Automobile insurance.

I know that folks need to have medical care available to them.

It's only human, especially for kids of poor folks who can't afford it.

That's always been there, dammit. When I was kid, I had knee surgery.

Well, a patellar reconstruction was no minor thing.... the third day

I was there, after surgery, I had a new roomate who had had his knee

really damaged playing football....and I was moved out into the hall.

Yep, lost my room. Into my place went a young black kid, whose mother was

raving and yelling earlier about discrimation and stuff, ...they were on welfare,

and they moved me out, because I had been there for three days, the most

of the floor, I was doing great.... so, eventually, my doc, who was head of the orthopedic board,

came in and found me. He said "what on earth are you doing in the hallway?" He was very,

very intense. I told him, and all hell broke loose, I went right back into my room, and his voice

was all over the entire floor, nurses were scrambling, he was on the phone to an admin office,

and the poor kid ended up in the hall, until a room was legitimately available,( which was later, about noon,

because I had asked my nurse if he got a room, and she told me.)

The welfare mother was yelling, and doc was mad, and I don't know what happened, but it got

quiet, the mother shut up, and Doc was quiet, and I got all sorts of apologies.

Hey, I wasn't mad, I could get my jello faster out in the hall, and it was morning, so

there was nothin good on tv.... ROF,L.

So the lament that people with no med insurance get no medical care is bogus.

If you're that poor, get on welfare, dammit.

But, I'm fine with a program that gets them legit insurance, to take the burden off hospitals

and emergency rooms.

But Obamaocare was a gigantic, totally political, super-interference with our entire medical infrastructure.

It was intended to eventually become a government entity, with major demographics totally depended

on....democrats, and our government.

All we needed was a simple medical insurance program that was subsized for those who truly

could not work and/or could not afford to buy their own insurance, and leave the rest of America

the hell alone.

To a point though, the subculture of entitlement and deliberate sloth is screwing up the works on more than

one gov program, making those programs an endless money pit over the long haul.

Education is the key, for every single CITIZEN/KID in this country. That isn't a lifetime subsidy, that's

a temporary help to those who could help themselves with an education but would have never got it.

Not referring to the subculture that has latched on to an anti-education mentality, as a

part of their self-defeating lifestyle.

Archived