THE BROWNS BOARD

2014 CLEVELAND BROWNS MID SEASON REPORT CARD!

cdl15

OFFENSE

QB= B

Hoyer looks and acts like the veteran & leader this team needs right now and for however long he is here

WR= B-

It is really amazing how well these bottom of the barrel name guys are doing. Gabriel has really stepped up and become a great target for Hoyer and looks to be only getting better week in and week out. Hawkins is worth the money that Cleveland spent on him and more. Im sure Austin is a great mentor to these young guys and always seems to make a big play at the end of the game when we really need him too. This group is a Josh Gordon away from being a solid B+/A- group.

RB= C+

Its a really good sign when a fanbase is excited about not one but two rookie running backs. Ben Tate is exactly what we have paid for and does all the right things. This is definitely a committeeto be excited with. Although their grade should be better than a C+ losing Mack basically drops this group from A-/B+ caliber to what it is now.

TE= D

With Jordon Cameron one hit away from being forced to retire and just a digression in skillsets. It is not hard to see where this teams offseason needs are going to be focused. Dray has produced as well if not better than Cameron overall.

O-LINE= B-

Believe it or not 3 weeks ago this grade woulda been an A+. But with the stronger schedule the Browns are about to play this B- can go even lower real quick.

Overall Offensive Grade= C+ but is a Josh Gordon and Alex Mack away from being a B+/A.

DEFENSE

D-LINE= C-

Just way too many injury bugs this year. The young talent in Winn, Bryant, Bryant, and Hughs has this group primed to be one of the nastiest in the whole NFL.

LINEBACKERS= C+

Kruger is starting to emerge as the type of player we thought he could be with his sack total starting to grow instead of just looking like the Brown's version of Nick Swisher. Kirksey was a great draft pick and Dansby was just the medicine to replace Jackson. Even Roberson has picked it up this year. Mingo and Sheard have almost been invisible this year.

CORNERS= D+

Haden's slow start and lack of depth at this position has started them off on the wrong foot but are slowly starting to buy in. Alot of negativity on Gilbert, but hes a rookie and Haden looked just as bad if not worse his rookie season so I still believe this was a very solid draft pick. Looking forward to seeing Desir one day I hope???? Buster Skrine still progressing and playing like a Brown is very encouraging. Skrine may be one of the best open field tacklers they have.

SAFETIES= A-

Gipson and Whitner!! Enough said!!

Overall Defense Grade= C I think this grade will continue to improve with health and cohesiveness.

SPECIAL TEAMS

KICKER= A

Besides a botched snap and a Hail Mary type of Kick Cundiff has been perfect and is going to see alot of action with Alex Mack outta the mix.

PUNTER= C

Nothing Great Nothing Bad. Lanning is about as Average as it gets. No need to fret on him

Kick/Punt Returns=F for Fuck you Travis Benjamin.

This piece of shit needs to learn what north and south means and quit being a bitch and get hit every now and then.

Overall Special Teams Grade= D- whatever Im being kind I guess? get me some J. Cribbs lol

COACHING STAFF

HEAD COACH= B-

I like Pettine. Outside of few bonehead calls the team really seems to respond and play for him.

O-Cord= A-

Shanahan is creative and makes the offense fun to watch. Hope he doesnt get HC job anytime soon.

D-Cord= D-

O'neil needs to turn it up a notch. With the injury to Alex Mack the play of the Defense is going to dicate how this team finishes the year.

Special Teams Cord= F

Tabor should realize there is nothing "special"about this phase of the game. Unless your talkin about walking around with a half dead goldfish in a plastic bag or farting in the bathtub and laughing your ass off about it "special."

Overall Coaching Grade= B- This may be generous but hey best coaching Ive seen since 99.

Overall Grade for Cleveland Browns= C+

Looking back i truly believe the one player the Browns could not afford to lose to FA or injury was Alex Mack. Even more so than Joe Thomas. The change in play for the Offense especially the running game is quite remarkable. I guess the only positive to come from Mack's injury is it was only a broken leg. Its not like he blew his knee out and going to have to worry about nagging knee problems the rest of his career. Bones heal quickly and stronger alot of times. Mack alone could have bumped this overall grade up to a solid B or more. REAL EXCITED FOR THE REST OF THIS SEASON AND SEASONS TO COME. ......FINALLY!!

I also said that they would be in every game. I guess the difference is that we have a quarterback that has a league leading 4th quarter comebacks with 3.

Let's see, that means he has put even more room between him and Tony Romo in that category, no? (reference a discussion point last week)

Our defense has allowed someone of the fewest points per game, despite giving up a lot of yards (especially on the ground). Mingo and Sheard, especially Mingo had pretty solid performances against Tampa, too.

Regardless we're only going up. I wonder if any of the resident cincinnati trolls will show up? They're about as bad as it gets...

Sure we we had a run game and sure wish we could stop mediocre running backs from setting personal records when they play against the Browns. What do you think will happen Thursday when Gio Bernard or Jeremy Hill get the ball?

Special Teams receive an F? C'mon man, They just BLOCKED A PUNT AND AN AUTOMATIC FIELDGOAL!!!

Yeah I get it, we haven't returned well but Cundiff is making his kicks, we are pinning the other team deep on punts, we are covering punts and kickoffs really well, we've blocked a few and nobody is dogging it out there. Anything less than a C+ is really an injustice.

Special Teams receive an F? C'mon man, They just BLOCKED A PUNT AND AN AUTOMATIC FIELDGOAL!!!

Yeah I get it, we haven't returned well but Cundiff is making his kicks, we are pinning the other team deep on punts, we are covering punts and kickoffs really well, we've blocked a few and nobody is dogging it out there. Anything less than a C+ is really an injustice.

I highly disagree with a C+ grade. the Cleveland Browns special teams is anything but average let alone slightly above average. yes the kickers are doing just fine. the kickoff return team is one of the worst in the league and the punt returning is the WORST by far. returning punts in the fourth quarter alone has either cost us games or chances to win games. its pretty bad when you'll take a fair catch on a punt every time for the rest of the year. I'm a compromise with you and get the special teams D/D+ because of one game against a really bad team but this special teams group is far from on average NFL special teams.

and anyways special teams is like factoring art and gym class into your final GPA in school.the brown special teams is obviously not going to win any games but it sure does look like it can cost us a few.

Archived