THE BROWNS BOARD

what the hell? Did we turn a major corner or is Cincy closet bums?

Clevfan4life

Roller coaster ride with Lewis. I don't think he's a terrible coach, but I do think he has a tendency to lose his teams when the going gets a little tough. Bottom line I don't think Dalton's play last night was a result of poor coaching and the game go so out of hand because Dalton really was that bad last night. The only QB to have a worse QBR in recent memory is Eli Manning his rookie year were he nabbed a perfect zero and we've all seen the ups and downs of Eli Manning.

I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's definitely on his last leg. He can't get that team prepared for games that matter. They were a big favorite in their last playoff game against an inferior SD team and laid an egg yet again.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you disagree? do you think that generally cleveland sports fans are level headed, rational, and intelligent?

A small percentage are for sure.

You need to realize how damaged most Cleveland sports fans are. Lots of bad memories destroys brain cells.No excuse I suppose, but its a factor.

I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's definitely on his last leg. He can't get that team prepared for games that matter. They were a big favorite in their last playoff game against an inferior SD team and laid an egg yet again.

I don't think Mike Brown works that way. If Lewis was ever going to be on his last leg that would have happened years ago IMO. He's had some serious up and downs. I'd place the game last night more on Dalton's absolutely pathetic play than on Lewis and his ability to coach. However Tom Coughlin is in a similar position in New York so you may be right. I'm sure his seat is getting warm but I don't believe his job is in danger, not yet.

A small percentage are for sure.

You need to realize how damaged most Cleveland sports fans are. Lots of bad memories destroys brain cells.No excuse I suppose, but its a factor.

As someone else already mentioned that type of fandom exists everywhere. Everyone would really understand if you could tune in to Pittsburgh sports radio when they were losing. Callers can and often are absolutely ridiculous and the reality is that type of polarizing position exists in the most passionate fan bases. Crazy fans exist everywhere.

Side note, Sheard looked like he had one of his best games this season. Looked better than Kruger tonight and I thought Kruger had another solid but not terribly great game. Even Mingo looked stout setting the edge tonight. Still think we need to get Kruger and Sheards hands down way more, and at the same time. I see them both put their hands down than stand up....and still rush. What's the point to that? They know you're coming. Why does our DC have them do that if down and distance make it an obvious rushing down?

May be before your time, but why did Tom Landry have his Offensive Line raise up and reset every time (essentially cocking the Offense)?

Could be something similar going on here with that.

As someone else already mentioned that type of fandom exists everywhere. Everyone would really understand if you could tune in to Pittsburgh sports radio when they were losing. Callers can and often are absolutely ridiculous and the reality is that type of polarizing position exists in the most passionate fan bases. Crazy fans exist everywhere.

Indeed.

The post game radio show on WKNR went until 3am & fans were still calling.

I don't think he's a terrible coach, but I do think he has a tendency to lose his teams when the going gets a little tough.

I'm pretty sure what you describe is a characteristic of a "bad coach".

I don't think Mike Brown works that way. If Lewis was ever going to be on his last leg that would have happened years ago IMO. He's had some serious up and downs. I'd place the game last night more on Dalton's absolutely pathetic play than on Lewis and his ability to coach. However Tom Coughlin is in a similar position in New York so you may be right. I'm sure his seat is getting warm but I don't believe his job is in danger, not yet.

Lewis has survived a lot of things... a run of off-field behavior issues, injury plagued seasons, etc., but after a couple good years with play-off disappointments, 2014 was built up to be "their season". Seize the AFCN and a chunk of home-field and push at least to the Conf Championship...

Many of the past failures, especially the off-field related ones, reflect at least as badly on the GM as they do the HC (and many would argue more on the GM). But when the talent is assembled... the pieces are in place... the expectations are heightened to be a major, post-season factor and you do not deliver???

Not looking good for Marvin, right now...

But there should be an opening (or two) in NYC...

Mike Brown doesn't, the fans do. If they don't make the playoffs they might get more bill board funding in cincy.

And Dalton sucked, but our defense deserves credit. Tight coverage and decent pressure.

I'm pretty sure what you describe is a characteristic of a "bad coach".

Lewis has survived a lot of things... a run of off-field behavior issues, injury plagued seasons, etc., but after a couple good years with play-off disappointments, 2014 was built up to be "their season". Seize the AFCN and a chunk of home-field and push at least to the Conf Championship...

Many of the past failures, especially the off-field related ones, reflect at least as badly on the GM as they do the HC (and many would argue more on the GM). But when the talent is assembled... the pieces are in place... the expectations are heightened to be a major, post-season factor and you do not deliver???

Not looking good for Marvin, right now...

But there should be an opening (or two) in NYC...

Not that the Browns didn't play their best game of the year- but the Bengals were missing 4 starters on defense. (Adkins went out with an injury). And they lost their staring RT- whoever was filling in for him makes McQuistan look like Joe Thomas. The guy was a turnstile all night.

Compete in the sense of who wins the division, not head to head.

Well, since both the Browns and Ravens have finished up with Pitt, then I guess it is up to both of us to rely on the Bengals to take the Steelers out.

After last night does anyone have confidence that that will happen?

One undeniable thing is that BR is playing lights out.

that loss was on Cincy's FO and their inability to acquire a QB that can make use of their offensive threats. Not on Marvin Lewis imo. Defensively they were without Burfict and Mauleauga (fuck I hate trying to spell that name). If we lost Dansby and either Robertson or Kirksey...what would our interior LB'ers look like? Someone knock on wood this instant pls.

Playoff "issues" aside, Dalton looked like their best option last year.

I doubt the CIN FO made a decision on Dalton without consulting their HC... as in, "Can you win with...".

Last nite's loss to "the lowly Browns" was likely not Lewis' proverbial "final straw", but it was a pretty effin' big straw to add to an accumulation of them.

Injuries are a fact of NFL life. Acknowledge that, but ask of the players put on the field:

- Did they look emotionally ready to play?

- Did it look like they had solid game plans?

- How well did they execute those game plans?

Ultimately the answer to each of those falls on the HC.

One HC on the field went 3 for 3... the other was damn close to an O-fer...

there was another hit by sheard (not on little) that made that hit look like a slap to the behind.

he absolutely smeared someone on the cincy field. can't remember who it was on but a bunch of us commented on in the tavern when it happened.

Agree... nice restraint by Sheard.... damn good discipline. Would have been so easy for him to lay Little out... and Lord knows he had reason to do so.

At 9 Second mark of full replay Kirksey pretty well buried OG Boling along the sideline.

Playoff "issues" aside, Dalton looked like their best option last year.

I doubt the CIN FO made a decision on Dalton without consulting their HC... as in, "Can you win with...".

Last nite's loss to "the lowly Browns" was likely not Lewis' proverbial "final straw", but it was a pretty effin' big straw to add to an accumulation of them.

Injuries are a fact of NFL life. Acknowledge that, but ask of the players put on the field:

- Did they look emotionally ready to play?

- Did it look like they had solid game plans?

- How well did they execute those game plans?

Ultimately the answer to each of those falls on the HC.

One HC on the field went 3 for 3... the other was damn close to an O-fer...

All that and more. Either the Bengals didn't go through the plays they were planning on using, or Dalton was stoned. Got around to watching some of the NFLN postgame from yesterday- Willie McGinest broke down around 4 of Dalton's flubs- and they were epic. Two of the ints- and one where AG Green turned Joe Haden around- the Red Baron throws the ball 15' over Green's head out of bounds.

I think both are true. The Browns are definetly a potential playoff team with an outstanding defense, while Cincinnati is a good team with QB who wets himself when the lights shine the brightest. Dalton is great on a quiet Sunday afternoon at 1, but when the playoffs or Prime Time comes his way, he looks more like Kyle Boller then Boomer Esiason. Cleveland is ascending, and the AFC North is, in my opinion, the best division in football.

Cleveland is ascending, and the AFC North is, in my opinion, the best division in football.

The afc north is probably the 2nd or 3rd worst division in the league. Based on current status of the teams and future outlook. The only division we're definitely better than is the afc south. The ravens and steelers below average with no current indication of improving. Both are actually probably on the decline. Bengals kind of suck. The always underachieve and have IMO the worst head coach and regular starting QB in football. Browns are nothing to write home about.

The afc north is probably the 2nd or 3rd worst division in the league. Based on current status of the teams and future outlook. The only division we're definitely better than is the afc south. The ravens and steelers below average with no current indication of improving. Both are actually probably on the decline. Bengals kind of suck. The always underachieve and have IMO the worst head coach and regular starting QB in football. Browns are nothing to write home about.

That's why every team has not only a winning record but every team is at least 2 games over .500 .

That's why every team has not only a winning record but every team is at least 2 games over .500 .

Easy schedules.. And none of the teams have looked that good. Steelers and ravens have had lapses where they look horrible. Bengals are a .500 team at best. Their out of division wins are against the falcons, titans, and jaguars.

Try again.

Easy schedules.. And none of the teams have looked that good. Steelers and ravens have had lapses where the look horrible. Bengals are a .500 team at best. Their out of division wins are against the falcons, titans, and jaguars.

Try again.

Try again? No...you try again. Every team in the division is 2 games over .500, No other division in football has winning records like that. It hasn't happened in 70 some odd years.

Try again? No...you try again. Every team in the division is 2 games over .500, No other division in football has winning records like that. It hasn't happened in 70 some odd years.

Ok you win. This division is amazing. Best division ever. Steelers, ravens, bengals, browns. All world beaters

You're stupid.

This division has like 1 quality out of division win, and about 8 bad look losses. None of the teams are very good. Period. Steelers and ravens blow, and the bengals are a .500 team at best.

Ok you win. This division is amazing. Best division ever. Steelers, ravens, bengals, browns. All world beaters

You're stupid.

This division has like 1 quality out of division win, and about 8 bad look losses. None of the teams are very good. Period. Steelers and ravens blow, and the bengals are a .500 team at best.

You can't argue with the fact that having 4 teams 2 games over 500 hasn't happened since the 1930's. So they all must suck since it happens all the time in the NFL.

"you're stupid" ? That's the best you've got. I give you facts and you come back with "you're stupid"? How fucking old are you? My 10 year old argues better than you.

You can't argue with the fact that having 4 teams 2 games over 500 hasn't happened since the 1930's. So they all must suck since it happens all the time in the NFL.

"you're stupid" ? That's the best you've got. I give you facts and you come back with "you're stupid"? How fucking old are you? My 10 year old argues better than you.

No division ever had " easy schedules" :-P

There is no argument, AFC north is the best division in football overall right now. Maybe

Archived