THE BROWNS BOARD

Cavs Dion Waiters absent during National Anthem because he is a muslim? Get rid of the bum

DieHardBrownsFan

Dion Waiters Attributes Absence During National Anthem to Religious Affiliation

By Joseph Zucker, Featured Columnist

Nov 7, 2014

ca1a36d4710aa9c378410a5b9a87083b_crop_no

USA Today

Reads

Comments

When Dion Waiters was absent on the Cleveland Cavaliers' bench prior to Wednesday night's game against the Utah Jazz, many fans wondered if something was wrong. On Friday night, Waiters clarified the reason for said absence: He observed his Muslim beliefs.

"It's because of my religion," Waiters revealed, per Chris Haynes of the Northeast Ohio Media Group. "That's why I stayed in the locker room."

hi-res-6e9152bdb5ae96057bd6038283ae941d_

Rick Bowmer/Associated Press

Haynes added that Waiters "is rededicating himself more to his Muslim faith" and "appears to be in a happier state."

The 22-year-old came off the bench to play 13 minutes in what was a 102-100 loss to the Jazz. He scored five points on 1-of-2 shooting.

Heading into Friday night's game against the Denver Nuggets, Waiters is averaging 7.5 points, one assist and one rebound per game.

"I don't be trying to play de basketball too much, it's because of my religion...."

Seriously, I didn't know about this... now when he gets cut, he'll claim discrimination...

He should already be gone.

Thie OP story is somewhat questionable and seems a bit like the author might be trying to spin the story to suggest he missed it because Islam forbids standing for the anthem (hint: it doesn't). Waiters said he was in the locker room praying and that's why he missed it. The author of the OP story clarifies below:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/11/claveland_cavaliers_guard_dion.html

The key quote:

Dion and I had a long conversation on Saturday and we came to the realization that we were thinking two different things.

When I asked if he planned to continue his pregame ritual, I meant did he plan on skipping the national anthem from here on out. He said he was under the impression that I was asking if he would continue his prayer and meditation before games.

Fair enough.

Waiters reiterated that he would be present during the national anthem. He called it a "simple miscommunication" and added that he's looking forward to moving past this situation.

In any case, it looks to me like renewing his faith helped him get right in the head with being benched, because he scored 17 points off the bench vs. the Nuggets the day after this story came out.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/11/lebron_james_likes_dion_waiter.html#incart_related_stories

Bottom line is he belongs on floor with his team mates when the anthem is playing. If this were a Christian everyone would be howling mad and it would make the big news media.

... didn't you just post a story from the "news media?" You called to "get rid of the bum"....

It sounds like this was just a mis-communication. If he were a Christian, it would be taken as that. As a Muslim though the worst is immediately assumed, no benefit of the doubt. And that's why we have people like you posting stories like this.

Really, the whole thing is a non-story... but w/e

... didn't you just post a story from the "news media?" You called to "get rid of the bum"....

It sounds like this was just a mis-communication. If he were a Christian, it would be taken as that. As a Muslim though the worst is immediately assumed, no benefit of the doubt. And that's why we have people like you posting stories like this.

Really, the whole thing is a non-story... but w/e

Spot on.

Archived