THE BROWNS BOARD

Ten Left for the Title

The Gipper

As I see it right now there are only 10 teams left in competition for the "Field of Four" college football playoffs, and for the title itself. And if I had my way, no team with more than one loss would make the "Field of Four". Here are the Ten teams and what their remaining "loseable games" may be. Only Miss. St. and FSU in my mind have room perhaps to lose a game the rest of the year:

1. Mississippi St. Loseable games left with Alabama, Ole Miss and the SEC title game (Georgia?)

2. Florida St. Loseable games left with Miami, Florida, and ACC title game (Duke?)

3. Oregon Loseable game left: Pac 12 title game (Arizona St.?)

4. Alabama Loseable games left with Mississippi, Auburn, SEC title game

5. TCU. Have no loseable games left really. Biggest test: Texas

6. Baylor Loseable game left with Kansas St.

7. Arizona St. Loseable games left with Arizona, P-12 title game (Oregon)

8. Ohio St. Loseable games left @ Minnesota, Michigan, Big Ten title game (Neb. or Wisc.?)

9. Nebraska Loseable games left vs. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Big Ten title game (OSU?)

10. Duke Loseable games left vs. North Carolina, ACC title game (FSU)

I left out Marshall 9-0 and Colorado St. 9-1 as they play in lesser conference/schedule.

Head to head matchups that would result in someone being aufed:

Miss St./Alabama. If Miss. St. wins Ala. is out. If Alabama wins, then Miss St. still has a chance with just one loss.

Possible FSU/Duke Duke is out with a loss, FSU should be out if they lose to Duke, even if they have only one loss.

Oregon/Arizona St. If they meet in P-10 title game, loser is out

Ohio St./Nebraska If they meet in B-10 title game, loser is out.

Kicked to the curb this past weekend:

Notre Dame with loss to AZ st.

Mich. St. with loss to OSU

Auburn with loss to Texas A&M

Kansas St. with loss to TCU

The Big 12 might get fucked here.

Actually, more possibly likely: Ohio St. even assuming they win the rest of their games plus Big Ten title game.

Why?:

FSU is a likely in.

One SEC team is likely in

One Pac 12 team Ore/ASU is likely in.

A Baylor win out with in vs. Kan St. could put them in, plus they beat TCU

And TCU is impressive. If they win out, they too could beat out OSU.

Basically, for your scenario to work, the committee has to see OSU (taking out Minn, Indiana , and Mich and Nebraska or Wisconsin) as better than either Big 12 team.

It could happen, it probably should happen. But I don't know if it would happen.

But....if...a lot of those teams lose a lot of those losable games, it could work.

I like this except for a few points..

As I see it right now there are only 10 teams left in competition for the "Field of Four" college football playoffs, and for the title itself. And if I had my way, no team with more than one loss would make the "Field of Four". Here are the Ten teams and what their remaining "loseable games" may be. Only Miss. St. and FSU in my mind have room perhaps to lose a game the rest of the year:

1. Mississippi St. Loseable games left with Alabama, Ole Miss and the SEC title game (Georgia?)

I'm thinking Miss St will lose at least one

2. Florida St. Loseable games left with Miami, Florida, and ACC title game (Duke?)

FSU is overrated but they will most likely win out.. They play from behind too often.. Weak schedule......

ASU is tougher than people give them credit for

I hate these bastards but don't be surprised if they win it all

Only loss is to Baylor.. They should win out.. But see below

Speaking of Baylor.. They also lost by 2 TDs to an unranked WV squad.. So how are they in the conversation? And by that wisdom, how is a team they beat ranked one above them?

I like ASU.. Only loss is to #11 UCLA (They're overrated) and i don't know where the ASU/Ore game will be but I wouldn't be surprised if ASU beats the Ducks..

8. Ohio St. Loseable games left @ Minnesota, Michigan, Big Ten title game (Neb. or Wisc.?)

One game season as usual but again found a way to fuck it up against Virginia Tech? 4-5 Virginia Tech?? Why are they on this list?

9. Nebraska Loseable games left vs. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Big Ten title game (OSU?)

Overrated

I don't care how many losses they have, Auburn and/or LSU would roll this team.. And Nebraska

I left out Marshall 9-0 and Colorado St. 9-1 as they play in lesser conference/schedule.

As well you should have ;)

I'm just damn glad we have a playoff system.. I'd like to see it expanded out to 7 with #1 getting a bye.. 2vs7 3vs6 4vs5.. Then reseed.. Make use of that dead spot in Dec.. That scenario would give 1 bad loss teams like Ohio State a chance at redemption.. I hope strength of schedule is a strong consideration with the panel..

The panel has done a decent job so far, let's see what happens as things get crazy.. And things will B)

I realize this is an Ohio based forum that is mostly pro Ohio State/Big10. But how does a team that lost by two touchdowns to an unranked team even enter this discussion?

Because their loss occurred at time when they were replacing a Heisman Trophy candidate QB with a complete unknown who had not started a game since his junior year in HS, plus they were breaking in a whole new offensive line.

Because right now they are playing as well any team in the nation if you go by the eye test, which the selection committee is entitled to do.

Because they still only have 1 loss....and as noted....only 10 teams in the nation (in the power conferences) have one loss. So even Duke and Nebraska and Baylor and everyone with only one loss is included in the discussion.

(I mean, if Duke wins out....including a win vs. FSU in the ACC title game aren't they "in the discussion")

I'm thinking Miss St will lose at least one Probably

FSU is overrated but they will most likely win out.. They play from behind too often.. Weak schedule......

They still have Miami and Florida on their schedule. If they are overrated as you say, they will lose.

ASU is tougher than people give them credit for Must also face Arizona though....who beat Oregon

I hate these bastards but don't be surprised if they win it all. No, I will be surprised. They won 2 games out of sheer luck. I will use your favorite word: Overrated.

Only loss is to Baylor.. They should win out.. But see below

Speaking of Baylor.. They also lost by 2 TDs to an unranked WV squad.. So how are they in the conversation? And by that wisdom, how is a team they beat ranked one above them?

Again, every team with one loss is in. But, I agree, their defeat of TCU, in the end should give them the nod if they both end up with just the one loss.

I like ASU.. Only loss is to #11 UCLA (They're overrated) and i don't know where the ASU/Ore game will be but I wouldn't be surprised if ASU beats the Ducks..

No, would not be surprised.

One game season as usual but again found a way to fuck it up against Virginia Tech? 4-5 Virginia Tech?? Why are they on this list?

Why are you being obtuse? Every one loss team is in the hunt. OSU may be playing the best right now of anyone.

Overrated....not if they beat Wisc/Minn/OSU

I don't care how many losses they have, Auburn and/or LSU would roll this team.. And Nebraska

Auburn and LSU overrated. LSU is a choker, Auburn lost to a team that lost to Alabama 59-0.

As well you should have ;)

In the best scenario the playoffs system should include 16 teams.....just as the FCS, D-II and D-III playoffs. Then these good teams from lesser conferences would be in the mix. Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament there is nothing as entertaining as a big upset by a lesser team.

See Cleveland St. 1986. Sweet 16.

"Why are you being obtuse?"

Just having football discussion bro.. I thought that's what we were here for.. Nothing personal. I don't know you, you don't know me.. I didn't insult you. Or if I did I certainly didn't intend to and apologize..

I treat people on the net exactly as I would face to face.. In fact I use as my avatar a pic of myself almost everywhere I go so people can put a face with the name..

"Why are you being obtuse?"

Just having football discussion bro.. I thought that's what we were here for.. Nothing personal. I don't know you, you don't me.. I didn't insult you. Or if I did I certainly didn't intend to and apologize..

I treat people on the net exactly as I would face to face.. In fact I use as my avatar a pic of myself almost everywhere I go so people can put a face with the name..

Well, 3-4 times I said that every 1 loss team in the Power 5 conferences were still in the running for the Field of Four....in fact, that is basically the title to this thread, and 3 times you asked "why is this team still in the discussion". Because they are. Because that is what we are talking about. Who still has a chance. All ten of these teams still have a chance.

Why did you ask that question so many times knowing it was non-applicable?

You don't decide what is applicable, and what is not..

My opinion, which is just as valid as yours is that a one loss team that has lost to let's be generous and say a top 20 team closely, should still be considered. But a one loss team that lost to an unranked team by 14 points should not! A top 4 team has no valid excuse for a loss like that aside from a plane crash..

This is the first week I question the panel..

Alabama can't be happy :D

But their destiny is in their hands..

You don't decide what is applicable, and what is not..

I decide for myself what is applicable. I can decide who is or is not part of the "discussion". Both...all... those teams with one loss are part of the discussion because I made them so.

My opinion, which is just as valid as yours is that a one loss team that has lost to let's be generous and say a top 20 team closely, should still be considered. But a one loss team that lost to an unranked team by 14 points should not! A top 4 team has no valid excuse for a loss like that aside from a plane crash..

This is the first week I question the panel..

Well, if there is anyone that decides what is applicable, it is that panel, clearly. That panel certainly has made Ohio St. "part of the discussion" whether you like it or not. But that panel does not seem to want to make Nebraska and Duke part of the discussion whether I like it or not as they only have them ranked 16th and 21st respectively. But I contend that if Nebraska goes through the rest of their schedule beating 3 currently ranked teams (Wisc./Minn/OSU) they would clearly become part of the discussion. And the same for Duke. If Duke were to beat FSU, they would have to be considered. They may not be accepted, but they would be considered.

I don't think by any means that the panel would take a 2 loss Auburn or Ole Miss over a 1 loss Nebraska.

Alabama can't be happy :D

But their destiny is in their hands..

Are you guys buying into the Oregon hype? They lost at home to Arizona, yet never seemed to get "penalized" for that. Arizona, the team that beat them, is only 2-2 since that game.

Are you guys buying into the Oregon hype? They lost at home to Arizona, yet never seemed to get "penalized" for that. Arizona, the team that beat them, is only 2-2 since that game.

The panel apparently is. Though figure this: Oregon's best win was at home vs. Michigan St. Ohio St. handled Mich St. more than Oregon did....on the road.

ASU's defeat of Notre Dame was one of the most impressive wins of the year. I think ASU would likely handle Oregon in the Pac 12 title game.

I don't think ND was as up for ASU as they were for FSU.. Still a damn good win...

If they survive a letdown this week I'll rooting for them come the eventual Ducks game..

The biggie this week is obviously MSU vs Bama..

I'm starting to like Todd Graham's proposal for the college football playoff system..

This "14 point" loss to unranked VT was only 14 points because a freshman QB starting his second game in the big stage threw a pick 6 in the 4th quarter with less then a minute left, and now OSU is playing the best football in the nation. JT is better then that hick Dak, OSU is playing better defense then any of the teams in the Top 4 right now, and Zeke Elliot is a beast.

8 teams, automatic spots for the 5 power conference's champs. 3 at large bids..

Not sure how it would affect the panel presently in place but the 3 at large teams have to be selected somehow and the the entire group has to be seeded. I like the idea..

8 teams, automatic spots for the 5 power conference's champs. 3 at large bids..

Not sure how it would affect the panel presently in place but the 3 at large teams have to be selected somehow and the the entire group has to be seeded. I like the idea..

Me too. And eventually I would wager it would get to that.

Archived