THE BROWNS BOARD

Told ya so....

Manzier

This is the "I told ya so" thread, meant for all the neg heads and haters. It's more of a vent and release, and not directed at anyone in particular(but you all know who you are)

And for me, It's NOT too early, because we have ALREADY exceeded almost all expectations for the season. I want more, but started the season looking for positive growth. I see that now and got my wish. So, anything extra is just a bonus(and Im looking for a BIG BONUS this year :) )

For all the kneejerk idiots who started all the "I hate_________" threads, I think it's safe to say that.....

- Joe Haden

- Mitchell Schwartz

- Carlos Dansby

- Brian Hoyer

- Buster Skrine

- Donte Whitner

- Mile Austin

- Phil Taylor

and Billy Cundiff .....all dont suck. Sheesh.

For the ones who attacked Farmer and the draft, I think it's safe to say that......

- Bitonio

- West

- Crowell

- Gilbert

and Kirksey are all playing well and contributing now. Best draft in decades. And we still have talent(in reserve) that we haven't even seen yet.

For the ones that said we would only win 5 games or LESS........F off. You were wrong. :(

For the ones that said we could never make the playoffs. We are contending right now.

For the ones that say "same ole Browns"......hows this???

- 24 point 2nd half comeback in Pitts

- Clutch last minute winning drive against NO

- NFL record 2nd half comeback against Tenn

- 12 yr home opener losing streak. Broken

- Big Ben 18-1 against Browns. Now 18-2

- Bengals 14 game home winning streak. Broken.

- Browns 17 game Div/away losing streak. Broken

- #1 second half team in NFL.

- National TV on 3 days rest and we dominate.

Yep. Same ole Browns alright.

Ok. I feel MUCH better. It needed to be said. Blame me for jumping the gun, but again, we've already way exceeded the haters expectations and it's never too soon to point that out.

This team has depth at nearly every position... credit Ray Farmer and his team

This team is playing hard with a never quit attitude... credit Mike Pettine and the "play like a Brown" mentality

This team is playing solid offense despite not having the best playmakers... credit Kyle Shanahan

This team is getting better on defense each week... credit Mike Pettine, Jim O'neil, and the Defensive Staff

This team has developed one of the best home field advantages in the NFL... credit the Ownership, Business Dev. Team, and of course... the Fans!!

This team has bought in to the concepts of their coaching staff and continues to improve... credit the players, especially leaders like Whitner/Dansby/Thomas/Hoyer

My only complaint this year was blowing the Jacksonville game... but it was a let down after crushing Pittsburgh, so I've let that one go... every team is entitled to one "stinker" each year, so that was ours...

I have a lot of hope for this team going into the last 7 games... I believe with good reason...

Go Browns!!!!

Agree,

Why not add in Andrew Hawkins as a great FA pickup from a division rival who is currently ailing at the position.

Also,

UDFA K'Waun Williams, Taylor Gabriel

All some huge contributors, all guys who Farmer did his homework on (and the coaches know how to use).

Yep. What a HUGE difference 1 year can make. Exactly one year ago today, we were 4-5 and on bye week, preparing to embark on a 7 game losing streak to finish the season.

Hard to believe the changes:

Banner and Lombardi were steering the ship(no comparison)

Chud was getting ready to lose his team(no comparison again)

Horton was mugging for the camera all proud of himself(ditto)

Campbell was our starter and Weeden was #2(hahahahaha)

Mcgahee(sic) was our RB( bbbwahahahahaha)

Something tells me the last 7 games will go a little different this year. Call it a hunch.

To: thenew23: What position is LeBron going to play with that number? That is a DBs number, or a RB. It is not a WR/TE number.

(and doesn't someone already have that number....as in Joe Haden?)

He only goes in for the Hail Mary play. 6'8" with a 40" vertical is useful in that situation. But, he'll keep "Haden" on the back of the jersey. Nobody will notice...

Yep. What a HUGE difference 1 year can make. Exactly one year ago today, we were 4-5 and on bye week, preparing to embark on a 7 game losing streak to finish the season.

Hard to believe the changes:

Chud was getting ready to lose his team(no comparison again)

Horton was mugging for the camera all proud of himself(ditto)

Campbell was our starter and Weeden was #2(hahahahaha)

Mcgahee(sic) was our RB( bbbwahahahahaha)

Something tells me the last 7 games will go a little different this year. Call it a hunch.

I always hated Ray Horton and Rob Ryan for being camera hogs.. it's interesting neither one has a HC gig yet!

A couple weeks ago... what was it Banner said we fucked up? ... and why do I care?

He only goes in for the Hail Mary play. 6'8" with a 40" vertical is useful in that situation. But, he'll keep "Haden" on the back of the jersey. Nobody will notice...

Standard FA, rookie contract I presume?

What still gets me is how we pulled out a very solid receiving corp with what seemed like a desperate shotgun approach before the season.

Before the draft even ended we were hearing the doom and gloom about Gordon, Benjamin was a question mark coming off a major injury, and we cut every other wideout.

So this scattershot approach with a few free agents (most considered "has beens") and UDFAs, and wala, it freakin' worked!

That's probably my biggest positional surprise is those guys. That Hawkins has contributed more that l thought he would, Benjamin still has his quicks, and Austin has been more solid and more not injured than l thought he would be. And yes, l'm knocking on wood. And no, l don't mean my dick.

This is the "I told ya so" thread, meant for all the neg heads and haters. It's more of a vent and release, and not directed at anyone in particular(but you all know who you are)

And for me, It's NOT too early, because we have ALREADY exceeded almost all expectations for the season. I want more, but started the season looking for positive growth. I see that now and got my wish. So, anything extra is just a bonus(and Im looking for a BIG BONUS this year :) )

For all the kneejerk idiots who started all the "I hate_________" threads, I think it's safe to say that.....

- Joe Haden

- Mitchell Schwartz

- Carlos Dansby

- Brian Hoyer

- Buster Skrine

- Donte Whitner

- Mile Austin

- Phil Taylor

and Billy Cundiff .....all dont suck. Sheesh.

For the ones who attacked Farmer and the draft, I think it's safe to say that......

- Bitonio

- West

- Crowell

- Gilbert

and Kirksey are all playing well and contributing now. Best draft in decades. And we still have talent(in reserve) that we haven't even seen yet.

For the ones that said we would only win 5 games or LESS........F off. You were wrong. :(

For the ones that said we could never make the playoffs. We are contending right now.

For the ones that say "same ole Browns"......hows this???

- 24 point 2nd half comeback in Pitts

- Clutch last minute winning drive against NO

- NFL record 2nd half comeback against Tenn

- 12 yr home opener losing streak. Broken

- Big Ben 18-1 against Browns. Now 18-2

- Bengals 14 game home winning streak. Broken.

- Browns 17 game Div/away losing streak. Broken

- #1 second half team in NFL.

- National TV on 3 days rest and we dominate.

Yep. Same ole Browns alright.

Ok. I feel MUCH better. It needed to be said. Blame me for jumping the gun, but again, we've already way exceeded the haters expectations and it's never too soon to point that out.

This team has depth at nearly every position... credit Ray Farmer and his team

This team is playing hard with a never quit attitude... credit Mike Pettine and the "play like a Brown" mentality

This team is playing solid offense despite not having the best playmakers... credit Kyle Shanahan

This team is getting better on defense each week... credit Mike Pettine, Jim O'neil, and the Defensive Staff

This team has developed one of the best home field advantages in the NFL... credit the Ownership, Business Dev. Team, and of course... the Fans!!

This team has bought in to the concepts of their coaching staff and continues to improve... credit the players, especially leaders like Whitner/Dansby/Thomas/Hoyer

My only complaint this year was blowing the Jacksonville game... but it was a let down after crushing Pittsburgh, so I've let that one go... every team is entitled to one "stinker" each year, so that was ours...

I have a lot of hope for this team going into the last 7 games... I believe with good reason...

Go Browns!!!!

Wonderful posts & kudos to both of you. We may or may not MAKE the playoffs this year, but we are surely in the conversation & who was thinking that before this season? We were told there would be a change in culture & there sure as hell has been! A very POSITIVE change to a WINNING CULTURE!

First Energy Stadium is now THE PLACE TO BE at game time & I'm not missing a bit of it!

Mike

Why are you so quick to bash the people who said they sucked after a few performances when you're doing the same thing, but in reverse?

This is just another kneejerk post. No different.

I disagree,

1) I am not quick to bash anybody, which is part of my main point. Ive preached patience all along and have promoted a wait and see attitude. And I have never started a "bash" post.

2) A "Kneejerk" response would have happened a long time ago. I've waited till week 10 and have let things play out before drawing any conclusions or posting this. The "kneejerk" posts are the ones we've been getting all along.....since pre-season.....or after only a play...or a series....or a single game.....claiming the team, or a player, or a coach is the worst ever, all of a sudden sucks, etc etc etc blah blah blah....

3) This post is different. Very different. It's not a hate post or an attack post. Week in and week out we read the "kneejerk" posts because some player missed a tackle or had a bad game. Ive been drawn into a few of those slugfests, but usually to defend a player. Not to attack a guy because he had an off day. This post just re-enforces that those posts were unmerited so early.

4) What people am I bashing and where am I bashing them??? My very first sentence said this was just a "vent and release" and it's "making a point"(not bashing). After spending every day reading hate threads, it's refreshing to flip the table. In fact, my post is mostly praising the Browns AND those fans who had a little faith and patience in them. But, if you want to call it bashing, at least it's not kneejerk bashing. Personally, I consider it making a point, which is not basing(or hate).

So, not too sure why you feel so defensive about my post, unless you feel its directed to you or somehow reflects you ....

Hey, if the shoe fits, then wear it. And, if not, then why worry about it.

I like it, we need some positivity around here.

2 weeks ago people were predicting we finish 5-11.

That's why I never make W/L predictions. This is a very young Team with some savvy veteran players & the record may not tell the whole story. What I see is a Team that plays hard & plays to win. Sometimes that leads to wins & sometimes to losses, but that's how our young guys BECOME savvy veterans & wins come on a regular basis. Anyone who can't see the positives FAR outweighing the negatives here must be blind.

OUR Cleveland Browns are certainly one of the best young Teams in the NFL.

Mike

The good play on the field spills over into the stands too. it's been allot of fun this year attending the games. Generally by this time of year, I'm selling some of the tickets, and I've left early to beat the traffic, but not this year.

Wonderful posts & kudos to both of you. We may or may not MAKE the playoffs this year, but we are surely in the conversation & who was thinking that before this season? We were told there would be a change in culture & there sure as hell has been! A very POSITIVE change to a WINNING CULTURE!

First Energy Stadium is now THE PLACE TO BE at game time & I'm not missing a bit of it!

Mike

Exactly- we're always going to have the negative Nancys around- that won't be happy short of the Browns blowing someone out in the Super Bowl 35-0.

Why are you so quick to bash the people who said they sucked after a few performances when you're doing the same thing, but in reverse?

This is just another kneejerk post. No different.

Because it's getting to be time for the bashers to start eating some serious crow. I won't call them out YET. Two wins in the next games against the Texans and Falcons, I might. I haven't forgotten the heat I took preseason merely suggesting that there are instances of quarterbacks getting a chance and excelling in the NFL on the high side of 28, when they've done nada previously.

Yeah- we heard the Haden sucks, Pettine sucks, Farmer sucks, Gilbert sucks, Hoyer is a bum posts. So where are the doom and gloom guys now? Gee, I've been on this board since the beginning- and it will only take one loss fro them to come howling back with a vengeance.

It was getting ridiculous - and very aggravating, that so many

negative folks were bashing and hating on one player or another,

or the coach, or the GM, on and on and on and on.

Excellent positive stuff about this team now, means that the haters should

be held accountable. They were obviously just wrong, and we ended up

reading again and again and again and again about the hate for one player or another.

These Browns play as a TEAM. It's a TEAM game. So now, they have some

great success going for them, and us. And the coaches have been coaching them up,

and these Browns have bought into the new systems, and getting it down. I mean,

isn't it AWESOME that this team had new coaches, new systems, and major injuries to starters...

and they are now in FIRST PLACE, so far, in the division?

I did. My guess was 4-12 with maybe some signs of hope for the 2015 season.

It would just be interesting to know who predicted in August (after those pre-season embarassing QB outings...) nthat by mid-November we would be over .500, leading the division and contending for the playoffs.

Just raise your hand. I swear I'll trust you.

Because it's getting to be time for the bashers to start eating some serious crow. ....... I haven't forgotten the heat I took preseason merely suggesting that there are instances of quarterbacks getting a chance and excelling in the NFL on the high side of 28.....

..... we heard the Haden sucks, Pettine sucks, Farmer sucks, Gilbert sucks, Hoyer is a bum posts. So where are the doom and gloom guys now? Gee, I've been on this board since the beginning- and it will only take one loss for them to come howling back with a vengeance.

I haven't forgotten either. And it's not really about being right. It's more about being called an asshole, a homer and an idiot for my optimistic opinions, and NOW having the opportunity to show that they were well founded.

It was getting ridiculous - and very aggravating, that so many

negative folks were bashing and hating on one player or another,

or the coach, or the GM, on and on and on and on.

Excellent positive stuff about this team now, means that the haters should

be held accountable. They were obviously just wrong, and we ended up

reading again and again and again and again about the hate for one player or another.

Beyond ridiculous. Some of the posts are so dumb you can't even believe they are serious.

I did. My guess was 4-12 with maybe some signs of hope for the 2015 season.

It would just be interesting to know who predicted in August (after those pre-season embarassing QB outings...) that by mid-November we would be over .500.....

There were LOTS of fans who predicted a winning record. LOTS & LOTS! My low guess was 9-7. And , without major injury, 10-6 .

Of course, the haters and neg heads just bashed that idea and mocked us as homers with blind faith, having no actual football knowledge, blah blah blah, etc etc etc, yadda yadda yadda, wah wah wah...... :)

So, like I said originally, this is NOT an attack on anyone in particular. It's just a thread for the POSITIVE fans, who have STUCK BY the Browns, and who have DEFENDED the Browns through many attacks, to finally feel a little satisfaction for their POSITIVE outlooks and be rewarded for their patience.

Im one of the older ones here(I think).....avid fan for the 70's-80's-90's and 2000's Browns teams.....so, I know a good team when I see it and have experienced many a good season.....so it's been tough dealing with so much negativity, when all this great stuff is happening right before our eyes. Instead of enjoying the team, its been a constant battle just defending them.

But, from this day forward, for me, it's just gonna be fun. No matter what happens. We are a good team and trending upward. This season, next season and the next few years should be a GREAT TRIP and Im taking the ride.....

What still gets me is how we pulled out a very solid receiving corp with what seemed like a desperate shotgun approach before the season.

Yesterday an ESPN talking head mentioned how bad our Receiving Corps was... I was appropriately incredulous.

There were LOTS of fans who predicted a winning record. LOTS & LOTS! My low guess was 9-7. And , without major injury, 10-6 .

Im one of the older ones here(I think).....avid fan for the 70's-80's-90's and 2000's Browns teams.....so, I know a good team when I see it and have experienced many a good season.....so it's been tough dealing with so much negativity, when all this great stuff is happening right before our eyes. Instead of enjoying the team, its been a constant battle just defending them.

But, from this day forward, for me, it's just gonna be fun. No matter what happens. We are a good team and trending upward. This season, next season and the next few years should be a GREAT TRIP and Im taking the ride.....

Well, I think me and Tour have you beat in the age department, I'm not quite old enough to say I saw Otto Graham play- but it's close. LOL, back then not everyone even had a TV, and they were tube models with limited reliability. Still remember the name of our TV repairman Don, after yet another tube went up in smoke. Then they came up with these new fangled transistor models- and put those guys out of business. :)

I wasn't quite as optimistic as you, I was predicting 8-8 before the season. Ghoolie bashed me for my linear improvement thinking, but there were signs last year this team was about to turn the corner. As on wag said we had the rotting corpse of Willis McGahee at running back, and we still had a lot of close games- all on the losing side. We played Kansas City tough on the road, and should never have lost to the Patriots in New England.

Well, I think me and Tour have you beat in the age department, I'm not quite old enough to say I saw Otto Graham play- but it's close. LOL, back then not everyone even had a TV, and they were tube models with limited reliability. Still remember the name of our TV repairman Don, after yet another tube went up in smoke. Then they came up with these new fangled transistor models- and put those guys out of business. :)

I wasn't quite as optimistic as you, I was predicting 8-8 before the season.

Same here... 8-8... after Pre-season when I actually had something to go on...

Otto last played when I was a 3-yo... so I'm a little fuzzy on his game. Also don't remember not having a TV, but do remember listening to Ken Coleman's great play-by-play radio broadcasts as all home games were blacked out.

I also remember a couple times when Dad and I went to "Olson's Electronics" in Parmatown with a bag of tubes he pulled for testing.

I originally picked the Browns to go 7-9. After the Saints win I had a glimmer of hope. After the COMEBACK game with The Titans I began to wipe the film of despair from my eyes. After the route in the 2nd squeelers game I saw light at the end of the tunnel. After the Bungles trouncing I could see the stars starting to align. Hell yesterday it rained and I swear there were orange and brown skittles falling from the sky. I haven't been this excited about Browns football in years. I know the back half (on paper) seems to be a tougher schedule, but this is a hell of a lot tougher team than in the first eight games. I think we match up well with the remaining schedule and wouldn't be surprised if we win six of them. No matter how it all shakes out I'm proud of the product the Browns organization has put on the field. This team plays with a confidence I haven't seen since the 80's.

GO BROWNS!

My first real memories as a fan are probably late 60's. I do remember my first game, but dont know what year it was. All I remember is it was Green Bay and we won. My Dad loved the Browns and we always had seats. My most vivid early recalls are him cracking jokes on a guy named Fair Hooker and him ranting about the Paul Warfield for Mike Phipps fiasco. He was losing his mind over it and telling me it would go down as a bad bad trade. That same year we also drafted Jerry Sherk and he was at least happy with that pick.

And I do remember Olsen Electronics and the old tube tester machines at the malls too :) . I dont really remember the TV dying, but I DO remember when we got a color TV. Now, THAT was a great day!!!

Tour and Manzier, I had to laugh when I saw your references to replacing the tubes to watch the games back in the day. I wrote a story to "Why I Love Football" last year about the same thing. The 60's was a GREAT time to be a kid and a Browns fan.

GO BROWNS!

Archived