THE BROWNS BOARD

firearm question

The Cysko Kid

So I'm specifically interested in logic's opinion knowing what I know of him. I'm I'm the market for a 9mm handgun and I'm not really looking to drop $600 on it this close to the holidays. So are you or I'd anyone familiar with the hi-point c9? Hi point is a local firearm manufacturer and this weapon can be purchased for under $200 almost all reviews have been generally favorable but not necessarily glowing. I'm taking a ccw certification class on December 26th so I'm looking to purchase this in short order to get some range time in beforehand. Just trying to see if anyone has any personal experience with it

Pic-2-1024x768.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hi-point is a low budget firearm. We looked at them, but

bought our SCCY (american made) CTX-1, 9mm for $283. They have a

CTX-2 out, with minor differences.

The CTX-1 is a nice gun, well thought of in reviews, but the sights are pinned in,

apparently not that easily replaced by night sights or something,

If your new gun is something your Wife would also be interested in shooting,

Walther carries a few of the easiest slide operation guns around.

Logic knows a lot - and your local ccw instructor, ask around for a real good one -

could give you some great advice. Take care when listening to gun store clerks, obviously.

I know it's low budget. I already have a Ruger Sr40c at home in case my wife needs it. She's not terribly comfortable with guns though and so it's unlikely she would unless pressed. This is primarily to be a carry firearm for when business takes me to the rougher areas of town. I'm not trying to spend $400 or $600 on it. All I want is for it to be reliable and functional. I'll look at the sccy though.

Hi points in my experience are a lot more reliable than given credit for.

They are also ungainly and not ergomomic. For not much more money you can get the Tangfolia Witness, a Italian version of the CZ75. For me they are a double stack auto that handles almost like the 1911.

The high point may also be a bit bulky for concealed carry.

I will look into that as well. I am a bulky guy in general at 6'3 and over 260 so the size of the hi-point may not be a real issue. Again I'm not carrying it often but if you get called to king Kennedy north at 12:00 am it's best to be safe than sorry. If, god forbid, you ever HAVE to use it I don't want to lose a weapon I paid $500 for like the ruger.

Do not buy a Hi-Point....I repeat, do not buy a Hi-Point.Too many bad experiences having to hold classes up to clear them for people who don't know what they are doing. It made the classes suck for everyone else.

I wouldn't be too concerned with losing a firearm in the event of justifiably shooting someone. If you aren't pulling a Rambo, they will return your firearm within a few weeks at the latest.

That said, if you want to stay below $400 I recommend either police trade ins (shot very little) Glocks and Sigs or a new Canik pistol. They are generally in the $325-$400 range. I have a Canik Stingray (CZ clone) that I have been beating up with still no jams and it was new for $340.

I've heard really mixed reviews on the c9. You have a sector of people that complain about ftfs or jamming and a sector that swears they are as reliable as any gun shot. Most video reviews seem to support the hi point working well out of the box. In any case I'd be taking the course with the ruger which I'm quite comfortable with.

I've heard really mixed reviews on the c9. You have a sector of people that complain about ftfs or jamming and a sector that swears they are as reliable as any gun shot. Most video reviews seem to support the hi point working well out of the box. In any case I'd be taking the course with the ruger which I'm quite comfortable with.

I don't like gambling on whether or not something is a decent product if I am going to rely on it in a tight spot. I would just carry the Ruger if it hasn't given you any trouble.

You will shoot your eye out.

Maybe we should start you out with a pop gun. You know the kind that has a cork and a string tied to the end of it.

80840531.jpg

You're still allowed to use teh internets bunker? At first I thought walter was another alter ego but he shows up in the tavern to actually talk about football once in a while so I know he's not you. The fact that anyone would sign off on you having any sort of firearm is disturbing to say the least.

Geez, I own a Beretta 7 shot Bobcat 22 because I thought the wife would like it in her shop and not be afraid of it.. Yeah, she's afraid of it so we armed her with hornet spray instead... But that's the ONLY reason I bought the damn thing.. I'm 6"4 or 5" 317 so I can palm that gun easily and no one knows I have it.. Damn good thing too, because if I showed it they probably laugh at me :(

I know this doesn't really apply to the thread except for laughs.. And trust me, I'd probably rather sling cat shit out of the litter box as a last line of defense rather than use the bobcat (that I have to clean every damn bullet or it will jam) but in the case that some one googles a Beretta Bobcat 7 shot 6 yrs from now and sees this....then my job is done ;)

Oh, and I own much better guns ;)

This is what I have. It is a Browning hi-power 9mm. IMO one of the best handguns EVER made. But they are pricey. The value has increased every year though

Mine was made in 1982 and I bought it in 1992 and it was never fired.

post-5619-0-00848700-1415886420_thumb.jpg

Archived