THE BROWNS BOARD

firearm question

The Cysko Kid

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We call those things cracker balls. I lived in Texas for a short time and remember the chasers were called something other than mosquito.....

Also M80s and cherry bombs before they god outlawed.

you could reuse the bullets with the Mattel pistol and they used greenie stickem caps.

WSS

We used to have some real good fourth of July back then. Throw some cherry bombs down the toilet at the school. Good times.

We founds out as kids.... that one of those cherry bombs made a great sound

in the sewer. And an M-80 would send the heavy steel lid a couple of feet into

the air. The goal was to have the lid flip.

That took two M-80's......

Here is the Hi-Power I own. It is a Browning, and it looks a whole lot nicer then the picture you posted

Also my 1911 holds 14 bullets

post-5619-0-86591900-1416664375_thumb.jpg

that's the 1911 ? I think the allure is more about it's rep -

it was an army standard, and tried and true .45.

A close friends' son used to hang out with us a ton, his family never did much outdoors,

but he worked on our farm like the best hired hand you could ever have, any weather.

We taught him how to ride our 4 wheelers in that work, and he sincerely took our safety

requirements to heart. He once went with a couple friends to some park where they could ride.

And sure enough, one of them went to do something high speed and crazy. Our friend stood

his ground, and told them not to do it, and one listened. The other, ended up totalling his big

ATV, and ended up badly injured, with a long recovery.

So, naturally, he gravitated to become really interested in guns. and, he worked and worked on the farm,

and listened for a couple of months of us talking about safety and responsibility of gun use

til I'm sure he was blue in the face. lol. But, after all that, he earned the right to shoot with us, and we still

taught him gun safety every minute, while any of us handled guns....

and I've taken him groundhog hunting in the past. And he handles a gun every bit as safely as

anybody could possible do it.

So, that leads up to him being 20 now, and one of his first guns he bought was a .22, and a 1911. So,

he brought them out and my Wife and I went shooting with him. When I shot the 1911, seemed

like a mini-cannon to me. I'm a lot more happy with my 9mm. When I asked him why

he bought the big 1911, he said because it was so cool - military cool. But last week, he finally sold it

to a friend going into the service, and bought a new Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun to

start hunting.

But, I would own a 1911 if I lived down south around boars, or lived around bears in Alaska, etc.

You're thinking of another gun.

Sealed 8 is a breech loading revolver.

Mike Hammer carries the Colt .45.

Which makes it cool!

WSS

WSS

I was thinking of this gun It is the Iver Johnson tp-25

post-5619-0-08667100-1416665976_thumb.jpg

So last weekend I bought a ruger 22/10 .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle...AND a hi-point c9. I immediately adjusted the feed lips on the magazine turning them out with a set of needle nose ever so slightly, loaded the magazine and left it for a week. In that time I took the c9 apart polished the feed ramp with a 40 grain sandpaper oiled all the moving parts and put it back together. Today I took it out back and put 150 124gn federal through it and it shot perfectly. Not one ftf or fte. It took me about ten shots to get the sights set properly and then I happily killed a bunch of Miniature pumpkins, clay pigeons, and coke cans filled with water. I was very impressed with the hi points accuracy and quite relieved that I had no issues with ejecting cases or feeding the next round in. I also was impressed with the relative lack of kick due to the blowback design. 150 bucks well spent, and it'll be a lot cheaper to shoot than the .40

So last weekend I bought a ruger 22/10 .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle...AND a hi-point c9. I immediately adjusted the feed lips on the magazine turning them out with a set of needle nose ever so slightly, loaded the magazine and left it for a week. In that time I took the c9 apart polished the feed ramp with a 40 grain sandpaper oiled all the moving parts and put it back together. Today I took it out back and put 150 124gn federal through it and it shot perfectly. Not one ftf or fte. It took me about ten shots to get the sights set properly and then I happily killed a bunch of Miniature pumpkins, clay pigeons, and coke cans filled with water. I was very impressed with the hi points accuracy and quite relieved that I had no issues with ejecting cases or feeding the next round in. I also was impressed with the relative lack of kick due to the blowback design. 150 bucks well spent, and it'll be a lot cheaper to shoot than the .40

Nice! Glad you had no issues. Sounds like you knew where problems could come from & got in front of them.

Happy shooting!

Nice! Glad you had no issues. Sounds like you knew where problems could come from & got in front of them.

Happy shooting!

Shouldn't these problems be taken care of by the manufacturer?

Why should the buyer have to fix a problem before using the weapon?

Sounds like poor design to me

Shouldn't these problems be taken care of by the manufacturer?

Why should the buyer have to fix a problem before using the weapon?

Sounds like poor design to me

Well yeah but some people take the ugly to get the savings. I personally don't like gambling with my gun purchases but I am also a gun nerd and look past price point to a certain extent.

Cysko is happy with it and he lucked out on it functioning properly. That is ultimately all that matters.

Well yeah but some people take the ugly to get the savings. I personally don't like gambling with my gun purchases but I am also a gun nerd and look past price point to a certain extent.

Cysko is happy with it and he lucked out on it functioning properly. That is ultimately all that matters.

I am with you on price point when buying a firearm. Not something I want to buy on the cheap. JMO

Well I got both it and the 22/10 For under $500 so both of them are under the cost of my sr40c. That's Gun Snobbery, 149 and I get it. Who wants to show up at the range with a hi point when everyone else is carrying kimber or h&k? It doesn't matter to me though because I rarely go to the range at all.

Who knows what I would have come across if I hadn't modified it? It might well have ftf'd. The point is i researched it quite a bit and knew what to do ahead of time. So 20 minutes of time spent polishing and oiling ultimately saved me $200 or more off of a glock. I'll tell you what though the bulk of it actually feels pretty good in my hand. I don't think it would ultimately make a very good ccw weapon because it's rather unsafe to carry with one in the chamber but the accuracy is good enough to take the test with. I'll probably take it with the ruger anyway just to head the gun snobs off.

Well I got both it and the 22/10 For under $500 so both of them are under the cost of my sr40c. That's Gun Snobbery, 149 and I get it. Who wants to show up at the range with a hi point when everyone else is carrying kimber or h&k? It doesn't matter to me though because I rarely go to the range at all.

I don't go to the range much either. The last time I was at an indoor range was years ago.

My friend and his wife, who are both CCW teachers have plenty of places to go. Last time we went to his cousins house, who lives in Medina county. There are no laws there about firing guns like they have here in Cuyahoga county

Who knows what I would have come across if I hadn't modified it? It might well have ftf'd. The point is i researched it quite a bit and knew what to do ahead of time. So 20 minutes of time spent polishing and oiling ultimately saved me $200 or more off of a glock. I'll tell you what though the bulk of it actually feels pretty good in my hand. I don't think it would ultimately make a very good ccw weapon because it's rather unsafe to carry with one in the chamber but the accuracy is good enough to take the test with. I'll probably take it with the ruger anyway just to head the gun snobs off.

Meh. I wouldn't worry too much about "gun snobbery" at the range. Practice practice practice. Sub-moa groups at any distance will shut the snobs up pretty quickly. ;)

M1911A1.png

I find not much appealing about the look of this gun which many people seem to be in love with

As far as autoloading pistols go, the 1911 is my favorite. I purchased a Springfield Armory Mil Spec (plus stainless barrel) years ago when CCW started in Ohio. It's pretty bare bones, just a professional trigger job and I replaced the hardwood grip panels with Hogue Rubber grips, but it has the sights that it came with from the factory. I can put all seven always into the chest area of a standard torso target at 25 yards and quite often can do so at 50. It runs without any hiccups ever with cheap white box ball ammo, feeds jhps very well.

If a guy doesn't like a 1911 I figure it must be to heavy for his purse.

As far as autoloading pistols go, the 1911 is my favorite. I purchased a Springfield Armory Mil Spec (plus stainless barrel) years ago when CCW started in Ohio. It's pretty bare bones, just a professional trigger job and I replaced the hardwood grip panels with Hogue Rubber grips, but it has the sights that it came with from the factory. I can put all seven always into the chest area of a standard torso target at 25 yards and quite often can do so at 50. It runs without any hiccups ever with cheap white box ball ammo, feeds jhps very well.

If a guy doesn't like a 1911 I figure it must be to heavy for his purse.

I didn't say I didn't like it but I find the cult-like following to be unwarranted. It's not a beautiful gun. It's complicated and can be problematic and too expensive for what it is. And it's been eclipsed in all aspects by more modern firearms. It's nice for military buffs I guess. I don't own one and its quite likely I never will.

I didn't say I didn't like it but I find the cult-like following to be unwarranted. It's not a beautiful gun. It's complicated and can be problematic and too expensive for what it is. And it's been eclipsed in all aspects by more modern firearms. It's nice for military buffs I guess. I don't own one and its quite likely I never will.

Seeing how it takes about 30 seconds to take apart and 30 seconds to reassemble, it is very far from complicated. As for problematic, I couldn't even begin to guess to amount of rounds I have put through it and it has NEVER FTF or FTE.

But mine is a Browning and they are top shelf firearms so I have no fear of failure.

I was a kid right at the end of when you could buy cracker balls.I was born right at the end of a great era of being allowed by your parents to potentially maim yourself. It taught life lessons.

can you not buy cracker balls anymore? Maybe I'm not sure what you're talking about? What do you call those little paper twist deals that you throw at the ground and they crack? I probably threw 6 dozen of those on the ground with my kid this summer

Seeing how it takes about 30 seconds to take apart and 30 seconds to reassemble, it is very far from complicated. As for problematic, I couldn't even begin to guess to amount of rounds I have put through it and it has NEVER FTF or FTE.

But mine is a Browning and they are top shelf firearms so I have no fear of failure.

You seem upset that I don't really like the 1911. This is what I mean by gun Snobbery. Not everyone has to love the 1911. My father in law has a s&w 5609 and I don't really like that either. It's nice looking but pretty heavy for its size. The polymer/plastic/alloy firearms are where it's at now. Even s&w is phasing out steel guns.

You seem upset that I don't really like the 1911. This is what I mean by gun Snobbery. Not everyone has to love the 1911. My father in law has a s&w 5609 and I don't really like that either. It's nice looking but pretty heavy for its size. The polymer/plastic/alloy firearms are where it's at now. Even s&w is phasing out steel guns.

You call it "gun snobbery" I call it buying the best product out there.

I'm not going to buy an ugly cheap gun just to prove I don't have some sort of "gun snobbery"

I have never heard of that term until 2 days ago on this forum.

No one I have ever shot with has ever uttered such a term. And that includes cops, MP's and CCW instructor's

Archived