THE BROWNS BOARD

firearm question

The Cysko Kid

Yeah just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it's not a thing. I've got two rugers, a winchester, a Henry rifle and a cheap piece of shit to shoot around for fun. I don't need to drop $1000 dollars on one thing to have fun with it. I've never had to use one in self defense so in reality I'm not all THAT scared I'll ever have to. But as you probably know as you get older and your assets and family get larger you have a lot more things riding on you and that you have to protect. So you know I have some things I can really depend on and some things that are more or less just for fun. The hi point falls under the latter. And you know what? It's fun to shoot. Have you ever shot one?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never shot a hi point and I would like to.

Next time I'm out with my buddies I will ask them to see one. I'm sure they will have one laying around somewhere

I'm a Glock guy, I carry a 45 on duty and a compact 45 off duty. its not small but it's nice having firepower these days. also my duty mags from my duty will fit my compact.

I like the glocks also. Plenty of power

I didn't say I didn't like it but I find the cult-like following to be unwarranted. It's not a beautiful gun. It's complicated and can be problematic and too expensive for what it is. And it's been eclipsed in all aspects by more modern firearms. It's nice for military buffs I guess. I don't own one and its quite likely I never will.

How is a 1911 complicated? And the GI/Mil spec units are very reliable and not problematic - I can never remember any older relatives (or old neighbors) complain about a 1911 being problematic and not working. Problematic is people carrying Kimber and other 1911 versions that are built "tight" and not broken in.

As far as cost, you can get a Rock Island (I know - Foreign made) or a Springfield Mil Spec for what you get S&Ws, Glocks, etc. at that point you it's preference, how much ammo you think you need on board, etc.

• 2 months later...

223400_01_lg.jpg

after shooting a Smith and Wesson M&P I was thinking about picking one of these up. It's not quite the same as an M&P but seems close enough for government work. Any of you fellas familiar? I'm thinking of selling my ruger because of a slide locking issue. I had it repaired but fuck it.

Smith and Wesson SD40VE

223400_01_lg.jpg

after shooting a Smith and Wesson M&P I was thinking about picking one of these up. It's not quite the same as an M&P but seems close enough for government work. Any of you fellas familiar? I'm thinking of selling my ruger because of a slide locking issue. I had it repaired but fuck it.

Smith and Wesson SD40VE

My dad has one (black, not stainless slide). I've shot it 2-3 times (100-ish rds) and it was a lot of fun. Can't recall it jamming at all. Ergonomics are more comfortable if you stay in the m&p line but then again I happen to like the way a Glock feels so....

I'd shoot the hell out of it before making it a self defense gun.

My dad has one (black, not stainless slide). I've shot it 2-3 times (100-ish rds) and it was a lot of fun. Can't recall it jamming at all. Ergonomics are more comfortable if you stay in the m&p line but then again I happen to like the way a Glock feels so....

I'd shoot the hell out of it before making it a self defense gun.

I read a couple accounts of failure - to -feed but that can happen with any semi auto from a hi-point to a kimber

The only rub is that the triggers are hit or extreme misses on SDVEs. But you can fix it with Apex parts if need be and still keep costs down.

ahh yes. I remember dad's having a decent amount of trigger take up. Kind of gun snobby (to borrow a phrase from this thread), and unlikely really noticeable in a defensive situation, but it was pretty sloppy in the back yard. Definitely not a 1911 trigger or even a polished Glock trigger. But still went boom when I squeezed it.

ahh yes. I remember dad's having a decent amount of trigger take up. Kind of gun snobby (to borrow a phrase from this thread), and unlikely really noticeable in a defensive situation, but it was pretty sloppy in the back yard. Definitely not a 1911 trigger or even a polished Glock trigger. But still went boom when I squeezed it.

I read some reviews that claimed the trigger loosened up after about 400 rounds but there's a good chance I'll replace it anyway. I'm not much for polymer triggers

I read a couple accounts of failure - to -feed but that can happen with any semi auto from a hi-point to a kimber

Yup. Take the majority of what you read online (even mine & logic's advice / anecdotes) with huge grains of salt. People love to complain about handguns on the Internet. Probably more than they like shooting them. I'd definitely put 100 rds through any gun at the rental counter before purchasing it.

I read some reviews that claimed the trigger loosened up after about 400 rounds but there's a good chance I'll replace it anyway. I'm not much for polymer triggers

. Yeah that's pretty standard for most stock triggers. Metal rubbing together enough times tends to smooth out over time.

I'm really ssurprised people haven't heard this phrase. It's really common in online comments especially when looking at any gun under about $500

I was also thinking of getting a hi point .45 caliber carbine. Unbeatable price and as much (unfairly) maligned as the pistols are the carbines are pretty highly rated and with the new rules you could hunt with it in Ohio

4595TS4X.jpg

Those things are fun as shit. Especially if you can get a can and shoot the big 220gr (subsonic) stuff. "Pfff Pfff" is a lot more fun to hunt with.

Yup. Take the majority of what you read online (even mine & logic's advice / anecdotes) with huge grains of salt. People love to complain about handguns on the Internet. Probably more than they like shooting them. I'd definitely put 100 rds through any gun at the rental counter before purchasing it.

I shot the m&p at a range with a couple university hospital cops that I'm acquainted with. I understand this isn't the same gun but I was impressed enough with the frames to consider buying s&w. My father in law has a full steel s&w 9mm (5206? I'm not sure of the exact model) and I didn't care for the weight of that

I shot the m&p at a range with a couple university hospital cops that I'm acquainted with. I understand this isn't the same gun but I was impressed enough with the frames to consider buying s&w. My father in law has a full steel s&w 9mm (5206? I'm not sure of the exact model) and I didn't care for the weight of that

Yeah S&W makes some nice guns. I trust an M&P to protect my wife. And she likes shooting it. Win win.

Yeah their metal frame semis are pretty heavy. I do like their j-frame wheel guns. I have a 640 in .357 mag that's pretty fun.

9 mm carbine ? Would that shoot my luger 9mm for my pistol?

I still want an ar-15 type that shoots the 5.56...but I'd have to

buy ammo all over again, know what I'm saying?

9mm carbine...hmm. What would my Wifie like more as far as kick,

the 9mm, or the 5.56 ?

I've shot a .45 before, it seems so much like a cannon. I like the 9mm - seems

more practical, unless I'm facing a grizzly.

Yes it is pistol caliber cal.

Logic after 2500 rounds or so through a hi point c9 I respectfully disagree. It's a decent (not high) quality pistol. However my ruger sr40c had a spring issue that caused the slide to lock back after every couple shots. Hence I'm getting rid of that and buying the s&w40

9 mm carbine ? Would that shoot my luger 9mm for my pistol?

I still want an ar-15 type that shoots the 5.56...but I'd have to

buy ammo all over again, know what I'm saying?

9mm carbine...hmm. What would my Wifie like more as far as kick,

the 9mm, or the 5.56 ?

I've shot a .45 before, it seems so much like a cannon. I like the 9mm - seems

more practical, unless I'm facing a grizzly.

Here's the major consideration for me:

Ar-15 style: $700 approx on the low end. As far as I know it's not legal for hunting with the 5.56 chamber in ohio

4595ts: $450 WITH EVERY OPTION .45 acp chamber in legal for hunting.

The 995ts is similar in price but not legal for hunting.

The main advantage of the ar is the clip holds a better amount of rounds. From what I remember shooting the m16a2 in the usaf the range wasn't spectacular.

Archived