THE BROWNS BOARD

firearm question

The Cysko Kid

9 mm carbine ? Would that shoot my luger 9mm for my pistol?

I still want an ar-15 type that shoots the 5.56...but I'd have to

buy ammo all over again, know what I'm saying?

9mm carbine...hmm. What would my Wifie like more as far as kick,

the 9mm, or the 5.56 ?

I've shot a .45 before, it seems so much like a cannon. I like the 9mm - seems

more practical, unless I'm facing a grizzly.

Will shoot the 9mm ammo that works in your pistol. Your wife will be able to shoot it just fine. It would also save you some money because you only have to buy one ammo type and the carbines are relatively cheap.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is pistol caliber cal.

Logic after 2500 rounds or so through a hi point c9 I respectfully disagree. It's a decent (not high) quality pistol. However my ruger sr40c had a spring issue that caused the slide to lock back after every couple shots. Hence I'm getting rid of that and buying the s&w40

The Hi-Points either work great or are complete garbage. I have only seen garbage. I fire a lot of rounds every year. I can fire 2k in a weekend when teaching a class. I have never seen a Hi-Point make it through a weekend. That doesn't mean anything for you but for me I know I will never buy one of their pistols.

I have never liked Ruger pistols. Had a P944 that was a heap of dog shit. I like their rifles and revolvers. Their autoloading pistols are pretty suspect.

Look bro you should know if you don't maintain a gun it's going to fail whether it cost you a buck fifty or fifteen hundred. I spent a couple of hours modding the hi point before using it and also kept the mags loaded for about two weeks before shooting them to loosen the springs, But then I give a shit about performance. By the way the carbines work on the exact same blowback principal as the pistols but miraculously no one seems to have a problem with it on those.

This is part 3 of a ridiculous torture test. Keep in mind they're literally attempting to blow it up.

I'm somewhat surprised you're sticking to that garbage claim. It's debunked all over youtube with almost literally nothing but anecdotal evidence to support it. However there's plenty of videos of high dollar kimber 1911s failing.

It isn't a garbage claim. I am telling you exactly what happens in classes I teach and have attended. You can disagree and use Youtube videos as a benchmark for what you considered to be the be-all-end-all for gun information. It still won't change the fact that they have gone tits up every time. I already said you are happy with it so what does it matter what I say?

There is nothing wrong with a blowback action. There is a problem with the manufacturer. CZ-82s for example are blowback and work great because they are manufactured using good materials.

I have seen positive things out of the Hi-Point carbines. I have seen none out of their pistols hold up. I don't know why that is or if they outsource the parts for their carbines. I don't give enough of a shit about their products to check into it.

It isn't a garbage claim. I am telling you exactly what happens in classes I teach and have attended. You can disagree and use Youtube videos as a benchmark for what you considered to be the be-all-end-all for gun information. It still won't change the fact that they have gone tits up every time. I already said you are happy with it so what does it matter what I say?

You put the emphasis in the wrong place. I'm not saying your claim is garbage I'm saying you're claiming they're garbage

The materials they use for the frame are the same polymers smith and Wesson and other manufacturers use the barrels are solid steel. The slide is zamac-3 which is cheap but perfectly acceptable.

Then I couldn't tell you about why their pistols have a high failure rate in every shooting course I have seen them in. The assembly is hit or miss? I just know the carbines I have seen were fine but the pistols for some reason constantly saw failures to feed and to eject.

If it makes you feel any better, when I hear guys who buy Kimbers and other high dollar pistols saying that they have to "break them in" it makes me want to throw up.

Bro there's professional gun reviewers that use Youtube consistently. It's not just like Ricky Bobby from down the lane.

Bro there's professional gun reviewers that use Youtube consistently. It's not just like Ricky Bobby from down the lane.

And I still don't give a shit. Anyone who can generate traffic for their channel can become a paid gun reviewer.

Find a single reputable shooting instructor who recommends Hi-Point to anyone. You won't find them. And it isn't because they are "gun snobs" because they 9 times out of 10 recommend Glocks which are not high dollar handguns.

Glock has a great reputation. I don't know anyone who can legit shit on a glock for anything but ergonomics.

Glock is my preferred handgun by a long shot. I used to try and find a pistol that did something markedly better than a Glock for my purposes. After throwing money down the drain for a bit, I just kept coming back to Glock. Sig was the biggest disappointment during that search.

But about your kimber comment you do generally have to break guns in before they reach their ultimate performance. You know that. It's just that when you're paying as much money as you are for a kimber the failure rate should not be anywhere near that high. If the failure rate for hi point is high you can sort of shrug that off because of the price point.

I'm by no means arguing that hi point is a great weapon. I wouldn't be looking to buy the smith and Wesson if it were. I'd just buy another hi point. I'm just saying unless I got the best 9mm hi point that ever rolled off the line, it's a pretty decent handgun. I'd definitely rather rely on it than a baseball bat or nothing.

Things I like about it:

Blowback action and fixed barrel make it virtually recoil less and easy to get back on target.

Accurate

cheap.

Things I don't like about it:

The rear sight sort of floats. I hate that.

I had to polish the feed ramp and adjust the magazine. You shouldn't have to do that.

The trigger was plastic and I had to replace it.

The grips are smooth and not really ergonomic.

But about your kimber comment you do generally have to break guns in before they reach their ultimate performance. You know that. It's just that when you're paying as much money as you are for a kimber the failure rate should not be anywhere near that high. If the failure rate for hi point is high you can sort of shrug that off because of the price point.

I don't believe in break in periods for pistols. Never did. I have never had a break in with Glocks or H&Ks. I shouldn't have to run 200 rounds through a firearm to work out kinks with it. If I told someone that they had to break their car in before it would function properly, they would never buy that car.

A lot of owners manuals for cars and pickup trucks (and tractors) advise a break in period before doing things like towing and in the case of tractors some manuals (even with 1950s tractors) recommended break in before plowing.

Archived