THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns/Falcons Trivia

The Gipper

Since we really need to move on from that abortion of a game yesterday, here is some Trivia about our next opponent, the Atlanta Falcons. I will say this about that team: they have perhaps the boringest history of an NFL franchise that old that I have studied. So excuse me if I diverge into other areas.:

1. There are only 2 players that played their careers primarily with the Falcons that have made the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Name those two players.

2. What is the all time head to head record between the Browns and Falcons?

3. A bit off topic: With which team have the Browns played to a tie against the most times in history. Hint: it is not the Falcons.

4. Which 3 players that led the Falcons in receiving in a season also played for the Browns at some point?

5. Who is the only player to make the Pro Bowl as a Falcon that also played for the Browns at some point?

6. Who was the first person ever drafted by the Falcons?

7. A. How did the Falcons get their nickname?

B. Which team started playing in Atlanta first: Falcons, Braves, Hawks? (recall that both the Braves and Hawks moved to Atlanta from other cities: Milwaukee and St. Louis respectively)

8. Except for the Redskins, who were known for a long time as the over the hill gang, the Falcons probably had more players play for them over the age of 40 than any other team. Name 4 player that played for the Falcons that were over 40.

(see how I had to stretch this topic)

9. Who is the most hated person in the history of Atlanta?

10. Which Star Trek actor and which Best Actress Oscar winner both came from the same Atlanta suburb of Conyers?

11. One of Atlanta's best known residents, Ted Turner, was not an Atlanta native. Where is Ted Turner originally born and raised for the most part?

12. The Atlanta Falcons actually have a radio affiliate located in another NFL market. Which one?

Bonus. Name the following birds, in order, that are most dangerous to humans. They are listed here in alphabetical order:

Cassowary

Eagle

Falcon

Hawk

Ostrich

Owl

Rhea

Seagull

Swan

Vulture

Since we really need to move on from that abortion of a game yesterday, here is some Trivia about our next opponent, the Atlanta Falcons. I will say this about that team: they have perhaps the boringest history of an NFL franchise that old that I have studied. So excuse me if I diverge into other areas.:

1. There are only 2 players that played their careers primarily with the Falcons that have made the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Name those two players.

Probably wrong here but,Billy white shoes Johnson and Steve Bartkowski..

3. A bit off topic: With which team have the Browns played to a tie against the most times in history. Hint: it is not the Falcons.

KC Chiefs. in 1988

4. Which 3 players that led the Falcons in receiving in a season also played for the Browns at some point?

only one I can think of is Andre Rison.

5. Who is the only player to make the Pro Bowl as a Falcon that also played for the Browns at some point?

Andre Rison.

B. Which team started playing in Atlanta first: Falcons, Braves, Hawks? (recall that both the Braves and Hawks moved to Atlanta from other cities: Milwaukee and St. Louis respectively)

The Braves

8. Except for the Redskins, who were known for a long time as the over the hill gang, the Falcons probably had more players play for them over the age of 40 than any other team. Name 4 player that played for the Falcons that were over 40.

Brett Favre.

10. Which Star Trek actor and which Best Actress Oscar winner both came from the same Atlanta suburb of Conyers?

11. One of Atlanta's best known residents, Ted Turner, was not an Atlanta native. Where is Ted Turner originally born and raised for the most part?

Texas I think.

12. The Atlanta Falcons actually have a radio affiliate located in another NFL market. Which one?

Bonus. Name the following birds, in order, that are most dangerous to humans. They are listed here in alphabetical order:

Cassowary

Eagle

Falcon

Hawk

Ostrich

Owl

Rhea

Seagull

Swan

Vulture

Probably wrong here but,Billy white shoes Johnson and Steve Bartkowski..

No, neither of those are in the HOF (and I always thought of White Shoes as an Oiler)

KC Chiefs. in 1988 No, the Browns have played the Chiefs to a tie two times, but there is another teams that Browns have tied more than that. (I know the Browns also played Chiefs to a tie just a few years ago)

only one I can think of is Andre Rison.

He is one. Two others.

Andre Rison. Check

The Braves Check

Brett Favre. No, not hardly

Texas I think. NO

Cassowary

Eagle

Falcon

Hawk

Ostrich

Owl

Rhea

Seagull

Swan

Vulture

White Shoes played for the Falcons for a couple of seasons I believe..82-87

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Johnson_(American_football)

OK, but he was kind of hidden those years. In Houston he was helping the Oilers battle the Steelers so he got more publicity there.

Either way, he is still not HOF.

OK, but he was kind of hidden those years. In Houston he was helping the Oilers battle the Steelers so he got more publicity there.

Either way, he is still not HOF.

No, not arguing that... He was more known for his time in Houston , During the Bum Phillips era..

Claude Humphrey. Tommy Nobis?

7-5 falcons

I remember two against the Chiefs, so I will go with them. But there may have been more back in the old NFL days before overtime.

Rison, Metcalf & ???

Rison

Nobis

Named after a bird.

Braves

Deberg, Morton Anderson, Clay Matthews ..

This is the second week in a row you have asked a subject question, thought you would have learned your lesson with Cowboys/Rival.

Are you going for General Sherman?

Julia Roberts and ... not a trekkie, I will guess Nimoy

Don't know, but he talks with a Southern accent.

Carolina?

Cassowary

Eagle

Falcon

Hawk

Ostrich

Owl

Rhea

Seagull

Swan

Vulture

Ostrich

Falcon

Hawk

Owl

Eagle

Swan

Vulture

I don't know what the other two are.

The MLB... Tommy Nobis(?) and Deon Sanders.

Falcons '60-ish expansion team? Opposite conference 1/3 yrs thru 2003 less our absence say 9 meets plus 2 since '03 third coming... say 11 games... Guess 7-4.

WAG: Detroit... it was easier to tie in the old days...

FA "great" Bad Moon Rison...

I think former Eagle great Tommy McDonald came to us from ATL...

POP QUIZ: McDonald was unique for what equipment based reason?

Rison???

Nobis

Because Falcons were living in Atlanta off pigeons?

I think the Braves beat the Falcons by a matter of months...

8. Except for the Redskins, who were known for a long time as the over the hill gang, the Falcons probably had more players play for them over the age of 40 than any other team. Name 4 player that played for the Falcons that were over 40. (see how I had to stretch this topic)

Wow...

General Sherman... wasn't his fault that Atlanta was in the way...

WAGs: DeForrest Kelly and Sally Fields

Wyoming?

Tennessee Titan's Nashville?

1 Seagull... cause they go for the nose... and jet engines.

2 Ostrich... Do the stomp!

3 Eagle

4 Swan

5 Vulture... Fuck it! I'm going to kill something.

6 Falcon... particularly go after Snowmen

7 Hawk

8 Owl

x Cassowary (omitted as I had to look up WTF it was)

x Rhea (also omitted... ditto)

Here's one for you Gipper. When I was a kid(70's) my brother and I had jobs at the Aurora Spaghetti house in University Hts. We worked with, and got to know, 2 local brothers who went on to play pro ball. One had a stint with the Falcons and the other had a stint with the Browns.

Who are they?

Claude Humphrey. Tommy Nobis? Humphrey yes, not Nobis. Nobis not HOF

7-5 falcons NO

I remember two against the Chiefs, so I will go with them. But there may have been more back in the old NFL days before overtime.

NO. Chiefs more recent. This does go back.

Rison, Metcalf & ???

Both right. One more

Rison Bad Moon, check

Nobis Check.

Named after a bird. Yea, I ain't giving you that.

Braves Check

Deberg, Morton Anderson, Clay Matthews .. All correct. One more

This is the second week in a row you have asked a subject question, thought you would have learned your lesson with Cowboys/Rival.

Are you going for General Sherman?

Yea, but I don't think it is subjective to say that Sherman is the most hated man in Atlanta. (and I am going with these because....like I said, the Falcons are about the boringest team in the NFL)

Julia Roberts and ... not a trekkie, I will guess Nimoy Not Nimoy. I gotta check on Julia....and ooh, yes, she is from an ATL suburb, but not Conyers. So I guess I have to give you a NYET......but it was a good effort. Nimoy from Boston. And he is Jewish. You know there are no Jews in Atlanta...or there weren't back when he was young.

Don't know, but he talks with a Southern accent. He did end up in Georgia as a teen, that is why he has the accent.

Carolina? NO

Cassowary

Eagle

Falcon

Hawk

Ostrich

Owl

Rhea

Seagull

Swan

Vulture

Ostrich

Falcon

Hawk

Owl

Eagle

Swan

Vulture

I don't know what the other two are. Sorry, but you got none in the right spot. And the others are birds. (payback's a bitch no? :P

Here's one for you Gipper. When I was a kid(70's) my brother and I had jobs at the Aurora Spaghetti house in University Hts. We worked with, and got to know, 2 local brothers who went on to play pro ball. One had a stint with the Falcons and the other had a stint with the Browns.

Who are they?

Interesting....only name comes to mind is McCown but I think one of them played Browns, the other don't remember being at Atl, plus I think the time is a little off...

The MLB... Tommy Nobis(?) and Deon Sanders. Sanders is right. not Nobis. With Z's answer they have both been named

Falcons '60-ish expansion team? Opposite conference 1/3 yrs thru 2003 less our absence say 9 meets plus 2 since '03 third coming... say 11 games... Guess 7-4.

Not right

WAG: Detroit... it was easier to tie in the old days... Not DET

McDonald is a check. Rison too. Now all are gotten.

I think he was the last player not to wear a facemask.

Rison??? Check

Nobis Check

Because Falcons were living in Atlanta off pigeons? NO, not that I am aware of.

I think the Braves beat the Falcons by a matter of months...Check...on both aspects.

8. Except for the Redskins, who were known for a long time as the over the hill gang, the Falcons probably had more players play for them over the age of 40 than any other team. Name 4 player that played for the Falcons that were over 40. (see how I had to stretch this topic)

Wow...

General Sherman... wasn't his fault that Atlanta was in the way... Check

WAGs: DeForrest Kelly and Sally Fields Kelley is correct/ Not Sally. She is from Pasadena...all her southern accents have been fake. She is really more gidget that Mama Gump.

Wyoming? No

Tennessee Titan's Nashville? NO

1 Seagull... cause they go for the nose... and jet engines.

2 Ostrich... Do the stomp!

3 Eagle

4 Swan

5 Vulture... Fuck it! I'm going to kill something.

6 Falcon... particularly go after Snowmen

7 Hawk

8 Owl

x Cassowary (omitted as I had to look up WTF it was)

x Rhea (also omitted... ditto)

Highlighted ones are correct order.

Who are they?

This was a good question, and it stumped me, so I did some research and I believe you would be talking about

Tom and Pat Moriarty. Pat is still an exec with the Ratbirds, another stolen Brown.

Who are they?

Normally I would say I will try yours after you tried mine. But I am curious.

Breaking it down. 2 brothers, Probably from Shaker/Cleve. Hts/Lyndhurst....east side. Probably played in the 80s?

The Golics come to mind....but I know that Mike did not play for the Falcons. Jason Garret from out that way, but I don't know that he had a brother, and he did play for the Cowboys. Jurevicius would be too young. OJ McDuffie....but I don't think he had a brother. I am sure I will go DOH when you tell me.

McDonald is a check. Rison too. Now all are gotten.

I think he was the last player not to wear a facemask.

Correctamundo... I remember as a Brown he had to wear a "mask" by rule so he wore a single bar that was angled down about even with his chin.

This was a good question, and it stumped me, so I did some research and I believe you would be talking about

Tom and Pat Moriarty. Pat is still an exec with the Ratbirds, another stolen Brown.

You got it Zombo. :)

Tom trained with my brother and also married the restaurant owners daughter, so we saw a lot of him. Hook up with the Falcons while we were still working there and then went onto play usfl too.

Pat, only was a round one summer. Was at Georgia I think and then, suddenly, a Brown. Was happy for both of them. They were hard hard workers.

Second chance Saloon: Question unanswered as yet.

2. What is the Browns/Falcons head to head record. I was giving a margin of error of one, but no one has it yet.

3. Which team have the Browns played to a tie the most times.

7. A. How did the Falcons get their name? (don't overthink it.)

8. The Falcons have had 4 players over 40 play for them: DeBerg, Clay Matthews, Morten Andersen. Who was the last one? (and he is actually more associated with the Falcons than the others. I believe he played his entire career there)

10. Conyers GA produced DeForest Kelley, Bone(MCoy) from Star Trek, plus this Best Actress Award winner. (not Julia Roberts)

11. Where was Ted Turner born and raised....to a point.

12. The Falcons have a radio affiliate in another NFL market. Which one?

Bonus: don't worry about the birds.

Do this one: In which city was the General Manager of the Falcons born?

You got it Zombo. :)

Tom trained with my brother and also married the restaurant owners daughter, so we saw a lot of him. Hook up with the Falcons while we were still working there and then went onto play usfl too.

Pat, only was a round one summer. Was at Georgia I think and then, suddenly, a Brown. Was happy for both of them. They were hard hard workers.

OK, seeing the answer, I actually have no recollection of those players.

But, ahah! I forgot about this one:

In which city was the General Manager of the Atlanta Falcons born?

2. What is the Browns/Falcons head to head record. I was giving a margin of error of one, but no one has it yet.

10-3 Browns

Cardinals

8. The Falcons have had 4 players over 40 play for them: DeBerg, Clay Matthews, Morten Andersen. Who was the last one? (and he is actually more associated with the Falcons than the others. I believe he played his entire career there)

Van Note

10. Conyers GA produced DeForest Kelley, Bone(MCoy) from Star Trek, plus this Best Actress Award winner. (not Julia Roberts)

Jacksonville

Pretty much guessing, but 12 matchups, 9-3?

Bills?

I've heard the "A falcon doesn't drop its prey" but i don't know if that's relevant or not.

Cincinasty

Somewhere in ohio :P

Dangerous Birds, I think could kind of be argued multiple ways but here's my list

1.) Cassowary

2.) Ostrich

3.) Vulture

4.) Eagle

5.) Falcon

6.) Hawk

7.) Owl

8.) Seagull

9.) Rhea

10.) Swan

What is Atlanta's obsession is dangerous birds?

10-3 Browns Check

Cardinals Check

Van Note Check

Jacksonville Check

Pretty much guessing, but 12 matchups, 9-3? You are within the margin of error, so I give you a check

Bills? NO

I've heard the "A falcon doesn't drop its prey" but i don't know if that's relevant or not.

Cincinasty Check

Somewhere in ohio :P Yea, but where?

Dangerous Birds, I think could kind of be argued multiple ways but here's my list

1.) Cassowary

2.) Ostrich

3.) Vulture

4.) Eagle

5.) Falcon

6.) Hawk

7.) Owl

8.) Seagull

9.) Rhea

10.) Swan

Bolded are correct.

What is Atlanta's obsession is dangerous birds?

Only 3 questions left unanswered (not counting the birds):

7A. How did the Falcons get their name?

10. B. Who was the Academy Award Winning Best Actress from Conyers Ga. (same as Bones from Star Trek)

Bonus: Where was the Falcons GM, Tom Dmitroff Jr. born?

Answers:

Claude Humphrey and Deion Sanders (who played more years with Falcons than other teams)

Browns lead 10-3

The Cardinals. The Browns have had 3 ties with them, including a famous 33-33 shootout in the mid 60s.

Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

Tommy McDonald

Eric Metcalf

Rison

Tommy Nobis LB from Texas. He was supposed to be a Dick Butkus/Nitschke type clone.....and he was close to that. Being on a fairly bad expansion team hurt him a bit.

A fan contest selected the name. I had thought that they chose the name Falcons to match The Hawks NBA team that moved there. But that is not the case. The Falcons were there first.

The Braves moved to ATL and began play in the spring of 1966. The Falcons started play in fall 1966. The Hawks moved to ATL in 1968

Steve DeBerg, Morten Andersen, Jeff Van Note, and Clay Matthews.

That would be William Tecumseh Sherman. Union General. I defy anyone to think of someone more hated in the history of Atlanta.

I suspect he is more hated there than Art Modell is here.

DeForrest Kelley, Bone/Dr. McCoy is from Conyers......as is Holly Hunter. Best Actress for The Piano.

He was born in Cincinnati where he lived till about 10 years old. Then the family moved to Georgia, but it was Savannah for a while, then they moved to Chattanooga TN. From there, Turner went to college at Brown in Providence RI.. That is where he got his sailing jones (recall...he won the America's Cup). After college he moved to Macon Ga. where he got his start in the billboard business. From that he began buying up radio stations in the South, In 1969 at the age of 31 he bought a struggling Atlanta UHF TV station, and the rest is history. He didn't actually become associated with Atlanta until he was in his 30s.

And FYI, even though at times he owned the Braves, Hawks, and the Atlanta NHL team, he never owned the Falcons.

Jacksonville. Before the Jags were formed the Falcons were followed as much or more in Jax than either say the Dolphins or Bucs. Jacksonville seems to consider itself more a part of southern Georgia than a part of Florida.

Cassowary

Eagle

Falcon

Hawk

Ostrich

Owl

Rhea

Seagull

Swan

Vulture

The right order is:

1. Cassowary.....which is a big emu/ostrich type bird from Australia. And apparently very nasty

2. Ostrich....I guess size matters

3. Swan.....yes, Swan's are nasty emeffers

4. Rhea....again a big emu/ostrich type bird

5. Vulture. Ugly and mean

6. Eagle

7. Owl

8. Falcon

9. Hawk

10. Seagull.

And the other bonus: Atlanta Falcons GM Tom Dmitroff Jr. was born about a mile from where I sit in Barberton, Ohio. (same as me, same as Josh McDaniels, same as his father Tom Dmitroff Sr. who was a scout for the Browns)

And the other bonus: Atlanta Falcons GM Tom Dmitroff Jr. was born about a mile from where I sit in Barberton, Ohio. (same as me, same as Josh McDaniels, same as his father Tom Dmitroff Sr. who was a scout for the Browns)[/b

Is the "Speedway" still operating in Barberton? I had a Great Aunt Bessie that drove in their "Powder Puff Derbys" back in the 50's.

Is the "Speedway" still operating in Barberton? I had a Great Aunt Bessie that drove in their "Powder Puff Derbys" back in the 50's.

Yes, it is still there, making noise on weekend nights in the summer.

(but fyi.....like so many other things that carry the moniker "Barberton"....it is actually in Norton. See "chicken" "Brookside Country Club etc.)

Archived