THE BROWNS BOARD

RG3

gftChris

Foolish indeed.

So thankful we didn't end up with RGIII.

We dodged a bullet. Recall our FO at the time was in the running to get him.

Well, the bullet didn't miss us completely. We got winged in the shoulder with the Richardson pick, but that wound hasn't fully healed yet...

Well, the bullet didn't miss us completely. We got winged in the shoulder with the Richardson pick, but that wound hasn't fully healed yet...

It's almost healed tho.

At least we got a first rounder for him. The scar could be far worse.

i remember plenty of people on here screaming that we didn't make the call to trade whatever was necessary to get rg3.

but yes that draft had me stoopdified as to how we drafted, especially our first 2 picks. weeden instead of decastro still pisses me off.

Washington is imploding and it's fun to watch lol

It is more fun to see both the Redskins and Cowboys implode. What a phony rivalry. Other than playing cowboys and Indians what is it based on? The fact that Jerry Jones is greedy and didn't want to be placed in his rightful division? The NFCW

That read was almost painful... almost...

Once again it proves foolish to trade away draft picks for one player.

Nah... just the wrong player.

The Walrus did something right...

Pissed off STL badly enough that they would not trade with us although ours was supposedly the better deal.

And then he traded up for TR...

That first rounder could turn out to be RG4, or Steve Young II. Here's hoping...

Those two are equivalent?

Oh stop it, you sound silly. Best rivalry in football. NFC Beast should never be touched. Oh and Cowboys belong on Thanksgiving and will always be Americas Team. :wub:

Hardly the best rivalry in football. Bears/Packers is the best. Browns/Steelers was better....and would/could be again.

When the Rams were in LA that was a better rivalry.

Jets/Pats would be better if the Jets were ever any good.

Redskins/Ravens would be better if they were placed in the same division......same with Cowboys/Texans. Jets/Giants. Raiders/49ers. Bucs/Dolphins. Bengals/Browns would be a good one if the two teams could be good at the same time for a sustained period.

The NFL it seems actually discourages natural geographic rivalries. I guess they prefer the phony ones like the one you are trying to prop up.

Well we traded Richardson for Manziel, so we did get RG3.

i remember plenty of people on here screaming that we didn't make the call to trade whatever was necessary to get rg3.

but yes that draft had me stoopdified as to how we drafted, especially our first 2 picks. weeden instead of decastro still pisses me off.

I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.

I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.

there was no real 'jump for joy' on the forum when they picked weeden. more like a question mark. but we had had OL troubles then....but holmgren the destroyer loves him some QBs.

I think opinions on rivalries are always biased depending on which team you follow. I am not sure why you believe the Cowboys/Skins is phony. Maybe because the Cowboys have dominated them for year? I think your definition of a rivalry might be different than mine.

I say it is phony because it is made up. It is a TV rivalry, created just so TV could hype it. Yes, George Allen hyped up his players to get his players on edge for this game because the Redskins had been shitty for like 25 years before he got there, and the Cowboys under Tom Landry were the good team at that time. But that is not the basis of a real rivalry. They are rivals because they happen to be in the same division (which they shouldn't be), but are no more rivals really than the Giants/Eagles or Redskins/Eagles or Eagles/Cowboys or Redskins/Giants.

That's right... he was there, and for a moment I thought my choosing Rieff in our Board mock would be vindicated.

What is your definition of a real rivalry?

One based on geography, similar fan bases. Like Pittsburg/Cleveland, Chicago/Green Bay There is neither a geographical connection nor a fan base similarity between these two teams in my opinion.

Jason Hatcher, a former Cowboy (now a Redskin) had this to say before the game:

“Everywhere you go, grocery store or whatever, these guys, they’re hard-nosed fans. They know their players. It’s all you hear wherever you go, man. Facebook, Twitter, whatever you’re on, they hate Dallas. They got signs up everywhere down here. It’ll be great for the fans to experience a great Monday night game with a big rivalry. It’s great for the fans.”

I think you are off base with your assessment of the Cowboys/Skins rivalry. I think your agenda of re-arranging divisions is blinding you. The NFC East should never be touched. Classic rivalries and traditions you shouldnt mess with.

What I am saying is that when I grew up, there was NO such thing as a Cowboys/Redskins rivalry. It was NOT an organic thing. It was made up by George Allen so he could rile up a heretofore loser team and blase fan base. If, in the 70s the NY Giants or Philadelphia Eagles were the good team then Allen would have revved that team up for them, and not for the Cowboys.

You know who was the bigger rivalries for the Cowboys in the 60s: The Browns and the Packers! And to a lesser extent the Cardinals, because that was the closest team to Dallas. The Browns and the Cowboys were in the same division for a period, and in 1967, 1968 and 1969 they met in the playoffs each of those years. The Browns won 2 and the Cowboys one. But then Modell took the money to go to the AFC and that killed off that competition.

When the realignment occurred in 1970 the Cowboys were put into a division with the Cardinals, Giants, Eagles, Redskins. The Cardinals were good initially, and that was the Cowboys closest rivals.....until George Allen showed up on the Redskins doorsteps and made them a good team. So, yes, the rivalry was based simply on the fact that the Cowboys and Redskins vied for supremacy of that division for the next half dozen or so years.

It is similar to the Ravens/Steeler rivalry, or the Colts/Pats. It was based on competition, not history. The Ravens and Steelers have been the predominate team in this AFCN for over a decade now. It is only the Browns and Bengals futility at not being good that allowed that rivalry to develop. If the Browns had been any good, rest assured, they would be seen as the Steelers main rivals, not Baltimore. The Browns, in Steeler fans hearts are still the main rival. Why do you think they are here so much.

Archived