THE BROWNS BOARD

Brrrr to "man made global alarming"

calfoxwc

Nope, Thanksgiving is solely American. Nobody else has anything to be thankful for, we don't live there ;)

We don't really have anything remotely close, not even a 'national day'. We don't get St George's day (patron saint of England) as a holiday :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just talking about this the other day in fact. There isn't the big build up for months before, the obligation of gift giving, there's no focus other than the meal and being nice to each other. It's a tradition I'm tempted to take up. Not on a thursday, mind you, I do still have work!

Nope, Thanksgiving is solely American. Nobody else has anything to be thankful for, we don't live there ;)

We don't really have anything remotely close, not even a 'national day'. We don't get St George's day (patron saint of England) as a holiday :(

But our doors are open Chris! As long as you,uh, learn to speak the language...

:)

WSS

I was just talking about this the other day in fact. There isn't the big build up for months before, the obligation of gift giving, there's no focus other than the meal and being nice to each other. It's a tradition I'm tempted to take up. Not on a thursday, mind you, I do still have work!

There's food, family, four day weekend and football. What else could you ask for?

With man-made global warming alarmists the predictions take a much longer time before we decide they are correct or not. And by then the goal post has been moved another 15 or 20 years.

WSS

Exactly, according to Al Gore, where I live was supposed to be underwater by now. I have been here for 43 yrs now and I can tell you with a high degree certainty that the gulf waters have not risen an inch..

Exactly, according to Al Gore, where I live was supposed to be underwater by now. I have been here for 43 yrs now and I can tell you with a high degree certainty that the gulf waters have not risen an inch..

Just the tar balls from the BP oil disaster.

Canadians also have Thanksgiving.

Is this thread going to turn in to cal throwing as much shit at the wall as he can and hoping something sticks? It is right out if that "Science Denial Playbook" I posted earlier.

How some in here interpreted past reports, turning it in to "we'll be underwater in ten years", I can't say anything about that. I'm guessing the interpretations are exaggerated. That's not to say predictions haven't changed. They might vary the degree of the results, but not the big picture. The chances that the vast majority of qualified scientists are wrong is incredibly small.

I like snow anytime between the first snow fall and new years eve. After that I'm done with it

I like snow on Christmas Day and then never again until the next Christmas Day

I guess it depends who you're talking to. I Hated Woody Woodpecker. Also the Flintstones the Jetsons and looney toons

That is true.It all depends on your taste, I hate Aerosmith, but some people think they are great. As for Woody....

Woody was number 46 on TV Guide's list of the 50 Greatest Cartoon Characters of All-Time in 2002 and 2003. He came in at number 25 on Animal Planet's list of The 50 Greatest Movie Animals in 2004. The character has been referenced and spoofed on many later television programs, among them The Simpsons, American Dad!, South Park, The Fairly OddParents, Family Guy, Seinfeld, Robot Chicken, Three's Company, and Flash Toons.

Woody Woodpecker is the mascot for the Universal Studios Theme Parks. In 1998 and 1999, Woody appeared on the nose of the Williams Formula One Team, and in 2000, he became the official team mascot of the Honda Motorcycle Racing Team. A balloon featuring the character has long been a staple of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Well it's not global warming anymore so there. Now it's climate change. Let's see you naysayers try and slither out of THAT one. Never mind that the climate changed all by itself on numerous occasions throughout history. Now it's YOUR FAULT! DAMN YOU!

Soooo you are really going to sit back with a straight face and state that things like Cfc's aren't destroying our ozone and environment? I learned about that one in elementary school. Who wants to know the best part of all the idiots that still deny man made climate change? If it were a conservative issue. If big business didnt stand to lose trillions of dollars in shifts of legislation and the political puppets their respective seats we would be well on our way to fixing it already. As it stands capitalism, the worst of capitalism has the world destroying our planet for monetary gain. Go take a look at citizens united again for this one as well. Bottom line? Anyone denying that we aren't harming earth is a fvcking moron and you can't be saved. Really, a fvcking moron.

Clearly all the scientists are in it for the money. Their lucrative grants allow them to push their liberal ideology.

Clearly. They are making money had over fist from all their science talk. Rich! Loaded! Scrouge McDuck coin vault diving! Rich!!!

Soooo you are really going to sit back with a straight face and state that things like Cfc's aren't destroying our ozone and environment? I learned about that one in elementary school. Who wants to know the best part of all the idiots that still deny man made climate change? If it were a conservative issue. If big business didnt stand to lose trillions of dollars in shifts of legislation and the political puppets their respective seats we would be well on our way to fixing it already. As it stands capitalism, the worst of capitalism has the world destroying our planet for monetary gain. Go take a look at citizens united again for this one as well. Bottom line? Anyone denying that we aren't harming earth is a fvcking moron and you can't be saved. Really, a fvcking moron.

I'm just playing cal like I like to do here. But I'm not going to doom and gloom over it when there's not shit that can be done. I'm not stopping driving that's for damn sure. And that's the matter with you are you going to sit around insulting people and be afraid to say "fucking" or do you just think the v makes you look cool? You're in absolutely no danger of looking cool, trust me.

Let's start with this: what are you, personally, willing to give up for the earth? Your car? Natural gas? Electricity? Are you going to live in a solar heated geo-dome? The answer of course is what difference does it make if we're causing climate change or not? We're exponentially expanding. The chances are greater all the time some horrible plague will wipe a large portion of us out and then earth is off the hook isn't it? Do I think we will ever be able to make the planet uninhabitable? No. I do not. We might wipe ourselves out but the world will keep on turning and something will evolve in time to pick up the slack.

Let's start with this: what are you, personally, willing to give up for the earth? Your car? Natural gas? Electricity? Are you going to live in a solar heated geo-dome? The answer of course is what difference does it make if we're causing climate change or not? We're exponentially expanding. The chances are greater all the time some horrible plague will wipe a large portion of us out and then earth is off the hook isn't it? Do I think we will ever be able to make the planet uninhabitable? No. I do not. We might wipe ourselves out but the world will keep on turning and something will evolve in time to pick up the slack.

Oh I didn't elaborate because I have talked in a circle about it. I believe global warming is legitimate. That said, China, Brazil, India, and any other country that is trying to keep up with the Joneses of the world will not limit their rise even if they know global warming is real. Crippling poverty is more of an immediate problem for them than climate change. There is nothing the U.S. can do right now that will change that.

I'm just playing cal like I like to do here. But I'm not going to doom and gloom over it when there's not shit that can be done. I'm not stopping driving that's for damn sure. And that's the matter with you are you going to sit around insulting people and be afraid to say "fucking" or do you just think the v makes you look cool? You're in absolutely no danger of looking cool, trust me.

I'm not going to stop driving either. Hell I drive a v8. I do ride my bike when I can and do as much as possible to protect the environment. The addition of the v is habit. A lot of places I post have a swear filter.

You are in for a roller coaster of bullshit. Buckle up.

Global warming has been talked about in a circle numerous times here. I totally agree it exists but I am done talking about it.

You have some back up now. I'm not getting involved tonight tho.

The basis of climate change skepticism, or in my case derision whereupon I acknowledge there is climate change and couldn't be bothered to really give a fuck, is in that the climate has changed numerous times in geological history. Ever been to the metroparks or Kelly's Island? There used to be glaciers rolling through here. Before that Cleveland's own Awesome fossil Dunkleosteus confirms that once there was an ocean there. So what if we're speeding this process up? Whether we like it or not we're going to have to face it sooner or later. Even if we slow it down, which would take a titanic coordinated effort in a world where we are still struggling with religious squabbles and racial issues to get everyone that mattered on board with that, it's still going to happen. We're in an interglacial period of an ice age. That's reality. Either we'll start another 40,000 -100,000 year cycle or the ice age will be over like it has been many times before and there will be no more ice sheets. I don't think this will be a problem that we will find insurmountable. We already have cooling systems down to a T. My point is if the ice age is over and it gets warmer and certain places get submurged think of all the new real estate that opens up in Alaska, The Yukon Territory, Antarctica maybe, hell, who knows what lies beneath there. I have absolutely no fear of climate change.

Here's some information about Ice Ages for you

An ice age is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "ice age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials".Glaciologically, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres.[1] By this definition, we are in an interglacial period—the holocene—of the ice age that began 2.6 million years ago at the start of the Pleistocene epoch, because theGreenland, Arctic, and Antarctic ice sheets still exist

The next well-documented ice age, and probably the most severe of the last billion years, occurred from 850 to 630 million years ago (the Cryogenian period) and may have produced aSnowball Earth in which glacial ice sheets reached the equator,[33]possibly being ended by the accumulation of greenhouse gases such as CO
produced by volcanoes. "The presence of ice on the continents and pack ice on the oceans would inhibit both silicate weathering and photosynthesis, which are the two major sinks for CO
at present."[34] It has been suggested that the end of this ice age was responsible for the subsequent Ediacaran and Cambrian Explosion, though this model is recent and controversial.

The Andean-Saharan occurred from 460 to 420 million years ago, during the Late Ordovician and the Silurian period.

The evolution of land plants at the onset of the Devonian period caused a long term increase in planetary oxygen levels and reduction of CO
levels, which resulted in the Karoo Ice Age. It is named after the glacial tills found in the Karoo region of South Africa, where evidence for this ice age was first clearly identified. There were extensive polar ice caps at intervals from 360 to 260 million years ago in South Africa during the Carboniferous and early Permian Periods. Correlatives are known from Argentina, also in the center of the ancient supercontinent Gondwanaland.

400px-Five_Myr_Climate_Change.svg.png
Sediment records showing the fluctuating sequences of glacials and interglacials during the last several million years.

The current ice age, the Pliocene-Quaternary glaciation, started about 2.58 million years ago during the late Pliocene, when the spread of ice sheets in the Northern Hemisphere began. Since then, the world has seen cycles of glaciation with ice sheets advancing and retreating on 40,000- and 100,000-year time scales called glacial periods, glacials or glacial advances, and interglacial periods, interglacials or glacial retreats. The earth is currently in an interglacial, and the last glacial period ended about 10,000 years ago. All that remains of the continental ice sheets are the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and smaller glaciers such as on Baffin Island.

During the eemian period (around 130-115,000 years ago) the glaciers retreated to almost nothing. It's going to happen again. And then after a couple thousand years it'll happen all over again. The Temperature will drop The Glaciers will form and it'll all happen again. Here's a brief description of the Eemian period

The Eemian climate is believed to have been about as stable as that of the Holocene. Changes in the Earth's orbital parameters from today (greater obliquity and eccentricity, and perihelion), known as Milankovitch cycles, probably led to greater seasonal temperature variations in the Northern Hemisphere, although global annual mean temperatures were probably similar to those of the Holocene. The warmest peak of the Eemian was around 125,000 years ago, when forests reached as far north as North Cape, Norway (which is now tundra) well above the Arctic Circle at 71°10′21″N 25°47′40″E. Hardwood trees such as hazel and oak grew as far north as Oulu, Finland.

At the peak of the Eemian, the Northern Hemisphere winters were generally warmer and wetter than now, though some areas were actually slightly cooler than today. The hippopotamus was distributed as far north as the rivers Rhine andThames.[3] Trees grew as far north as southern Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago: currently, the northern limit is further south at Kuujjuaq in northern Quebec. Similarly, the prairie-forest boundary in the Great Plains of the United States lay further west near Lubbock, Texas, whereas the current boundary is near Dallas, Texas. The period closed as temperatures steadily fell to conditions cooler and drier than the present, with 468-year-long aridity pulse in central Europe,[4] and by 114,000 years ago, a glacial period had returned.

Now, the Earliest known human fossils were dated to 400,000 years ago. So we humans very clearly made it through a glacial period, an interglacial period, another glacial period and now another interglacial period. and so it goes. We're not all going to die. The sea will rise but it will open up a ridiculous amount of new real-estate in the largely uninhabitable northern reaches of the world. In 15,000 or so there will be another glacial period and people will be sitting around on whatever passes for the internet then complaining how we're not doing whatever we can to preserve our wonder-fucking-ly warm climate and we're going to freeze to death like in the olden days. So I don't see what a bunch of hysterical hand-wringing and doomcrying is going to do about it. Something will evolve that changes the dynamic of co2 levels vs oxygen levels and it will cool off again. Whether we invent something or plants evolve further to convert tons more co2 it'll happen. Are we contributing co2? Clearly. Do you know how many 300lb cannisters of Co2 Ive seen discharged into the atmosphere? More than you'll ever see in your life. Hundreds. As well as other agents that have global warming potentials. I know it's out there. But it isn't going away. To make a dent in it we could come up with an elaborate effort from all developed countries to not use co2 or not produce it but not fucking likely is it? Humans are driven by greed. Greed to attain more. We've proven time and again that we'll fuck over anyone and anything that gets in our way whether that's the native americans or the earth. We're not going to do anything about it. What's going to happen is we're going to have an eemein like period and you know what? We'll live through it. in those 10,000-15,000 years we humans will still be here and hopefully a lot better off technologically than we are now. Maybe we'll be off earth and out in space. Maybe we'll find a ridiculous wealth of resources underneath the former continental sheets and enter a new golden period of riches and expand to put new major cities in places where it was patently impossible before. So the gist is I don't really care. Im not giving up the modern convenience of modern life. I use energy efficient appliances have energy efficient windows and electronics and a fuel efficient car. I'll use even more efficient things when they become more convenient for me. When it becomes viable I'll use an electric car because why the fuck not if it saves me a buck .I use energy efficient light bulbs. I'm doing all the part that I can save a buck on. Giving up more is unacceptable to me because it would be highly inconvenient to me and would only be delaying the inevitable anyway.

Archived