THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland and the Thanksgiving Day Game

The Gipper

On another thread there was a discussion about why the Cowboys and Lions host Thanksgiving Day Games. Bottom line: it has become tradition for them to do so.

But: The Thanksgiving Day game NFL football game tradition did not start in Detroit. See this link:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/thanksgiving.aspx

Thanksgiving Day Games have been a staple of the NFL since its first year as you can see. Starting with a Turkey Day game between the Akron Pros and the Canton Bulldogs. A T-Day series that went for 3 years.

As for the Browns, beginning back in the days of the AAFC it was the Browns that were a traditional Thanksgiving Day game host, holding a game in 1947, 1948....both against the LA Dons, and 1949 vs. the Chicago Hornets.

But since 1950, the Browns have played on Thanksgiving only 3 times. 1966 and 1982 vs. the Cowboys, and 1989 vs. the Lions. The Browns have lost all three of those games....so I am in no hurry to see them play on Thanksgiving. Are you?

Note: this year the Bears play the Lions, the Eagles play the Cowboys and the Seahawks play at San Francisco on T-Day

Note: this year the Bears play the Lions, the Eagles play the Cowboys and the Seahawks play at San Francisco on T-Day

That's a pretty entertaining lineup, and a big day for NFC playoff possibilities.

Zombo

I like watching games of Thanksgiving, but I don't want to go to a game on Thanksgiving. With season tickets, I really prefer all of the games being at 1pm on Sunday. It just works better for me living 90 miles away.

Once upon a time on Thanksgiving Day... Old Muni hosted the annual Case / Western Reserve football game.

Dad told me when he was growing up that the "men in the family" would attend it, if the weather was decent.

The event was big enough that some years the stadium would get fairly full as you can see in this photo I lifted from http://blog.case.edu/archives/2010/11/15/case_vs_wru_thanksgiving_day_football_game

01050D1%20copy.jpg

If the NFL isn't careful they're gonna burn people out of football. They're talking about adding more weekday games..like some Wednesday bullshit or something like that. Fuck that I'm annoyed enough with the Thurs games...only watch if the Browns are playing.

Yes that would be idiotic. One Monday night game and the only Thursday games on T-day would be great

But since 1950, the Browns have played on Thanksgiving only 3 times. 1966 and 1982 vs. the Cowboys, and 1989 vs. the Lions.

I remember watching the 1989 game. I don't remember the game, just that it was on and the family was watching it during the big dinner.

I like watching games of Thanksgiving, but I don't want to go to a game on Thanksgiving. With season tickets, I really prefer all of the games being at 1pm on Sunday. It just works better for me living 90 miles away.

I'd be happy to have a T-Day game. Detroit and Dallas host the day games so that would leave the night game as the only option for a home Browns game. Perfect. Eat a bunch of Turkey that day, maybe take some more for tailgating (hmmm...I could see there being a lot of Turkey fryer mishaps though lol) along with some good beer. I typically have the next day off so works for me. I live 90 miles away too but I have in-laws that are less than 20 away.

Archived