THE BROWNS BOARD

Cavs Pursuing Jamison

EERSandBROWNS

With Amar'e Stoudemire unlikely to be dealt before Thursday's trading deadline, the next-biggest thing is being attempted by the Cleveland Cavaliers -- a surprise move at acquiring two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison from the Washington Wizards.

A deal for Jamison is far from being completed, according to league sources who described the Wizards as reluctant to move a team leader. The sources considered the proposal a sign that the Cavaliers have become more aggressive in trying to improve at the deadline for a title push this spring.

The Cavaliers have talked to the Wizards about offering Wally Szczerbiak's expiring $13.8 million salary as payroll relief for the 32-year-old Jamison, who is on the books for $50 million through 2011-12. Jamison is averaging 21.4 points and 9.1 rebounds this season, and he would be a lethal scoring threat off the bench for Cleveland in an anticipated conference final against the defending champion Boston Celtics.

A move like this -- a championship contender adding a scorer and rebounder without touching the top seven players in its rotation -- would be the closest thing to a blockbuster in this year's trading-deadline market. Jamison would put enormous pressure on the Celtics, whose front line has already been challenged by the departures of James Posey and P.J. Brown.

"If Cleveland can get Jamison, that will be a home run,'' said an Eastern Conference executive with knowledge of the talks. "Jamison would give them a big boost -- he can finish games with them, and he's a slasher who will get more open shots playing with LeBron. I think that would clinch [the NBA Finals] for them. Boston would have a tough time with them.''

To bring the salaries within 125 percent of each other, Cleveland would have to take on one or more additional players in exchange for Szczerbiak's expiring $13.8 million -- an expensive proposition for the Cavaliers, who would already be paying the luxury tax on Jamison's salary next season.

By clearing salary, the Wizards would position themselves to relaunch next season around their high lottery pick in this draft in addition to a healthy (or so they hope) Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler, who are both younger than 29. But in the midst of a 11-42 season, the Wizards appear disinclined to move Jamison, upon whom they are counting to lead them back into the playoffs next season.

With Amar'e Stoudemire unlikely to be dealt before Thursday's trading deadline, the next-biggest thing is being attempted by the Cleveland Cavaliers -- a surprise move at acquiring two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison from the Washington Wizards.

A deal for Jamison is far from being completed, according to league sources who described the Wizards as reluctant to move a team leader. The sources considered the proposal a sign that the Cavaliers have become more aggressive in trying to improve at the deadline for a title push this spring.

The Cavaliers have talked to the Wizards about offering Wally Szczerbiak's expiring $13.8 million salary as payroll relief for the 32-year-old Jamison, who is on the books for $50 million through 2011-12. Jamison is averaging 21.4 points and 9.1 rebounds this season, and he would be a lethal scoring threat off the bench for Cleveland in an anticipated conference final against the defending champion Boston Celtics.

A move like this -- a championship contender adding a scorer and rebounder without touching the top seven players in its rotation -- would be the closest thing to a blockbuster in this year's trading-deadline market. Jamison would put enormous pressure on the Celtics, whose front line has already been challenged by the departures of James Posey and P.J. Brown.

"If Cleveland can get Jamison, that will be a home run,'' said an Eastern Conference executive with knowledge of the talks. "Jamison would give them a big boost -- he can finish games with them, and he's a slasher who will get more open shots playing with LeBron. I think that would clinch [the NBA Finals] for them. Boston would have a tough time with them.''

To bring the salaries within 125 percent of each other, Cleveland would have to take on one or more additional players in exchange for Szczerbiak's expiring $13.8 million -- an expensive proposition for the Cavaliers, who would already be paying the luxury tax on Jamison's salary next season.

I've watched Jamison a ton over the years (I'm a huge Tar Heels fan) and though he was thought of as a bust early in his career. He has improved alot over the years.

He's a bit of a liabilty on the defensive side of the ball, but he has improved alot through the years. He's a solid 20PPG/9RPG guy. Very durable, had a 386 games played streak at one point. But I still consider him kinda soft.

We'll see how it goes I guess.

Eh, I love Jamison as a player and I think this could put us over the top...but it would make 2010 pretty difficult. If we have Jamison here the next two seasons and we don't win a title, then still don't the cap room for one of the top FA's....I don't know, tough call. But I wouldn't complain if we get him.

Eh, I love Jamison as a player and I think this could put us over the top...but it would make 2010 pretty difficult. If we have Jamison here the next two seasons and we don't win a title, then still don't the cap room for one of the top FA's....I don't know, tough call. But I wouldn't complain if we get him.

IF they beleive this would put us over the top, I say do it in a heartbeat. We cant worry about 2010 if you can win a championship now you gotta go for it.

Guest ATENEARS

I agree ... I like Jamison, but he's 32 yrs old and his contract is gonna weigh heavy in coming years.

Guest ATENEARS
IF they beleive this would put us over the top, I say do it in a heartbeat. We cant worry about 2010 if you can win a championship now you gotta go for it.

I agree with that as well.

We need that first one first.

Jamison is very underrated. Good scorer and teammate. How would this work with him coming off the bench though? That seems a little akward, and I'd hope it wouldn't push LeBron down to the 2 at all. I'd rather he go to the 4 or push Jamison to the 4 than go to the 2.

Guest ATENEARS
Jamison is very underrated. Good scorer and teammate. How would this work with him coming off the bench though? That seems a little akward, and I'd hope it wouldn't push LeBron down to the 2 at all. I'd rather he go to the 4 or push Jamison to the 4 than go to the 2.

The way I understand it, Jamison would fill the 4 and he is a previous 6th man and has that mentality of coming off the bench.

Archived