THE BROWNS BOARD

Wyche Mock Draft

BernietheKid

Mock draft 1.0: Lions' glaring need at QB makes Stafford top pick

By Steve Wyche | NFL.com

Senior Writer

This is the first mock draft, and it's likely to change based on what transpires in free agency. It was put together based on team needs, management's preferences/history and personnel fits.

Team Pick Analysis

1. Detroit Lions

Matthew Stafford

QB, Georgia The Lions shouldn't rush Stafford into the starting lineup unless they discover a running game.

Team Pick Analysis

2. St. Louis Rams

Andre Smith

OT, Alabama The Rams' biggest goal is to get bigger up front. At 340 pounds, Smith meets the criteria.

Team Pick Analysis

3. Kansas City Chiefs

Aaron Curry

LB, Wake Forest The Chiefs need a hyper-competitive baller to wake up a slumbering defense.

Team Pick Analysis

4. Seattle Seahawks

B.J. Raji

DT, Boston College A receiver is needed, but this is a better fit because the Seahawks have to regain their defensive swagger.

Team Pick Analysis

5. Cleveland Browns

Malcolm Jenkins

CB, Ohio State New Browns head coach Eric Mangini and new general manager George Kokinis came from franchises with solid cover corners who were physical tacklers.

Team Pick Analysis

6. Cincinnati Bengals

Jason Smith

OT, Baylor Smith's toughness and athleticism are what the Bengals need on the offensive line.

Team Pick Analysis

7. Oakland Raiders

Michael Crabtree

WR, Texas Tech Crabtree's sure hands and solid fundamentals are needed to help bring along QB JaMarcus Russell.

Team Pick Analysis

8. Jacksonville Jaguars

Eugene Monroe

OT, Virginia Addressing the depleted offensive line is a must, and Monroe likely won't be the only blocker drafted.

Team Pick Analysis

9. Green Bay Packers

Brian Cushing

LB, USC Switching to a 3-4 defense calls for a versatile OLB who can bring it with the rush and hold the edge against the run.

Team Pick Analysis

10. San Francisco 49ers

Mark Sanchez

QB, USC The 49ers could go a lot of ways, but grooming Sanchez in a run-first offense is a safe call.

Team Pick Analysis

11. Buffalo Bills

Brandon Pettigrew

TE, Oklahoma State Pettigrew can do it all, which could help open up an offense in need of diversity.

Team Pick Analysis

12. Denver Broncos

Rey Maualuga

LB, USC The Broncos have to toughen up the run defense, and this bell-ringer in the middle would help.

Team Pick Analysis

13. Washington Redskins

Brian Orakpo

DE/LB, Texas Orakpo is solid in all phases and could provide the much-needed edge pass rush.

Team Pick Analysis

14. New Orleans Saints

Vontae Davis

CB, Illinois The Saints also could opt for an athletic OLB who can rush the passer.

Team Pick Analysis

15. Houston Texans

Aaron Maybin

DE/LB, Penn State The athletic, undersized pass rusher can be moved around and allow for some creative scheming.

Team Pick Analysis

16. San Diego Chargers

Knowshon Moreno

RB, Georgia Even if Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson are there, Moreno is too special to pass up in the short and long terms.

Team Pick Analysis

17. New York Jets

James Laurinaitis

LB, Ohio State New Jets head coach Rex Ryan loves LBs who can get to the ball, and Laurinaitis certainly can do that.

Team Pick Analysis

18. Chicago Bears

Tyson Jackson

DE, LSU Jackson isn't an ideal pass rusher, but he is a stout run defender who can keep blockers off LBs.

Team Pick Analysis

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Peria Jerry

DT, Mississippi The Bucs desperately need to address this position to improve their run defense.

Team Pick Analysis

20. Detroit Lions

(from Dallas Cowboys)

Michael Oher

OT, Mississippi If the Lions draft Stafford, they better build a line to protect him.

Team Pick Analysis

21. Philadelphia Eagles

Chris Wells

RB, Ohio State The Eagles would love to land an OT like Oher. If he is gone, Wells would be a great Plan B.

Team Pick Analysis

22. Minnesota Vikings

Jeremy Maclin

WR, Missouri The do-it-all threat would ease the burden on Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson and RB Adrian Peterson and add to the return game.

Team Pick Analysis

23. New England Patriots

Louis Delmas

S, Western Michigan It's time for the Patriots to replenish this position, and Delmas could be the next Bob Sanders -- with coverage skills.

Team Pick Analysis

24. Atlanta Falcons

Larry English

DE/LB, Northern Illinois This high-motor player fills need at OLB and situational pass rusher opposite John Abraham.

Team Pick Analysis

25. Miami Dolphins

Everette Brown

DE/LB, Florida State Brown is a ridiculous pass rusher who's somewhat of a 'tweener,' but he can bring heat off the edge.

Team Pick Analysis

26. Baltimore Ravens

Alphonso Smith

CB, Wake Forest The Ravens love playmakers, and Smith's 21 interceptions in college and his penchant to hit offset his lack of height (5-foot-9).

Team Pick Analysis

27. Indianapolis Colts

Percy Harvin

WR, Florida Ideally, the Colts would love a DT here, but Harvin could replenish the potential loss of Marvin Harrison.

Team Pick Analysis

28. Philadelphia Eagles

(from Carolina Panthers)

Eben Britton

OT, Arizona This could be considered a reach, but the Eagles need to inject youth into both tackle spots.

Team Pick Analysis

29. New York Giants

Hakeem Nicks

WR, North Carolina This big receiver eventually could fill the role of Plaxico Burress or Amani Toomer, especially as a red-zone threat.

Team Pick Analysis

30. Tennessee Titans

D.J. Moore

CB, Vanderbilt The local product fits the model of a play-making CB with good ball skills. He's also a kick returner.

Team Pick Analysis

31. Arizona Cardinals

LeSean McCoy

RB, Pittsburgh McCoy is a tough, shifty runner who also can catch the ball. He's a perfect fit for the Cardinals' scheme.

Team Pick Analysis

32. Pittsburgh Steelers

Max Unger

C, Oregon His high intelligence and toughness could result in Unger starting right

I don't think Jenkins is the Guy we need at the 5th pick and there are better CB's in the draft Imo.

I still think we need to go LB with our first pick and hope we can get some value with DA and add more in the later rounds.

But we could go over scenarios till we are blue in the face and we still won't know until draft day or Da has been traded.

I don't think Jenkins is the Guy we need at the 5th pick and there are better CB's in the draft Imo.

I still think we need to go LB with our first pick and hope we can get some value with DA and add more in the later rounds.

But we could go over scenarios till we are blue in the face and we still won't know until draft day or Da has been traded.

I agree but you gotta see what we do in FA cause that will obviously dictate what we do in the draft. Cause we might pick up a LB or two. I would like to draft a LB in the first rd, but if there gonna take Jenkins I don't want them to take him at 5.

Bernie the kid, that’s what I mean its fun to look at all these different projections of who we are going to take and then try to break it down but as you and I both agree on is that so much can change with free agency, trades, I will even say off the field troubles and injuries in the off season may change up our draft or any one else's draft.

I hate to say it but if curry is gone i would rather see us get rey mauluga either at 5 or by trade down if possible we need a lb really bad and we have decent CBs already if we dont get an impact lb and a better DE or two its not going to matter who is in our secondary we will keep getting burnt (mysteriously to some) just as the opposition needs a score to get back in the game or win..

We have got to get more pressure production on the qb from the front three and one well disguised lb...

I don't think we pick Jenkins at 5 if Crabtree is still there. I wouldn't be mad if we traded down and still got Jenkins.

Probably drop too far for that to happen. If we trade out for Crabtree....it probably means a drop to about 12....Jenkins will be gone by then.

McShay has us taking Everette Brown.....what a douchebag....no way in hell he goes top 5

I appreciate your confidence, but this isn't the only guy projecting Brown to us. There has to be something with grip for all this Brown talk....he's impressing more than a few people in the scouting circles.

I remember a few years ago people on another board laughing when I said Demarcus Ware would be a good choice for the Browns...not that I am pimping Brown, but I wouldn't be so sure he won't be the pick....he is going somewhere not long after our pick. He won't slide to the 25th pick.

Guest Aloysius
If we don't take Crabtree if he's there....he'll be a Bengal. jmo

Not sure about that. They drafted receivers in the 2nd and 3rd Round last year. Crabtree may only make sense if they get rid of Chad Johnson, and he doesn't have much trade value right now.

Guest Masters
Cushing in the top ten? That's a bit surprising.

Not to me. I still think after the combines, pro work outs, and film break down, teams will see Cushing as the best LB coming out of USC this year.

Archived