THE BROWNS BOARD

Who will step up?

WPB Dawg Fan

We are going crazy here trying to figure out where we will go with the draft...but one thing we haven't really taken a look at is the young guys we have on our club with only 1 or 2 years in the league. What they can do (or what Mangini THINKS they can do) will go a long way to deciding the direction our draft goes.

Here is the list of young guys already on our squad to watch:

Martin Rucker, TE - We all heard he has mad receiving skills. His development (or lack of) will go a long way in determining K2's fate

Ahtyba Rubin, NT - Is he all we want in a NT? If not, it opens up the option of BJ Raji at #5

Allen Patrick, RB - He is another small RB...so I doubt he adds anything more than Harrison...but you never know

Lance Leggett, WR - He didn't show much last year...but he is blazing fast and tall (6'3")...so if he develops...

Gerard Lawson, CB/KR - Likely not going to contribute much in the secondary...but his KR skills could free up Cribbs

Paul Hubbard, WR - A major project last year (and coming off an injury) he is an amazing athlete but raw...can he step it up?

Alex Hall, OLB - Hall is a major player in determining if we go get an OLB in either FA or the draft. He flashed early...but then disappeared. Can he reappear?

Titus Brown, OLB - He has an incredible first step and burst. A bit small for an OLB...but he may be a decent situational pass rush option if he develops

Beau Bell, ILB - He never saw the field...coming off an injury and then re-injuring it. If he is ready and can perform...we may not need to go ILB early

Syndric Steptoe, WR - He is a speedy little guy. Decent hands..but got very few looks even when on the field last year.

Melila Purcell, DE - Melila is one of the few on our team with the proper size for DE. Can he step in this year?

David Holloway, ILB - Smallish ILB prospect...likely special teams only

I bolded the ones that I actually think have a chance of stepping up and helping in the type of system I anticipate Mangini to run....but the problem is we didn't get to see enough of them LIVE to know what they can do. Mangini will have the practice tapes from last year...but still...how much can that change the draft and FA?

Still, these are players that can/will effect the process...and we won't know how until it happens.

What they can do (or what Mangini THINKS they can do) will go a long way to deciding the direction our draft goes."

Most important to me is what Mangini and KOK think they can't do... We as fans know....we need ILB,OLB,3-4 DE, Safety, Depth at corner, hell depth everywhere on D. We need a Center, RG, maybe a RT and depth on line, WR and depth and a RB and a vet QB....wow we need a freakin LOT!

Most important to me is what Mangini and KOK think they can't do... We as fans know....we need ILB,OLB,3-4 DE, Safety, Depth at corner, hell depth everywhere on D. We need a Center, RG, maybe a RT and depth on line, WR and depth and a RB and a vet QB....wow we need a freakin LOT!

RG is almost for sure going to be Tucker this year...so I disagree on that.

RT....with Tucker at RG...Shaffer can do the job. I am not worried about that either...at least not THIS year.

WR...it really depends on Hubbard and Legget. If one of those 2 can step it up we don't have a need.

RB...I agree...but that too may be OK with a better rotation of Harrison with JL

QB....only if we trade DA

S...Jones may stay...and I see him better than most do

Center - YES

LB - YES, I prefer a guy who can go ILB or MLB (Curry), but we need 2 or more

DE - To me, this is actually a bigger need than LB. We NEED DE's that fit the 3-4.

Archived