THE BROWNS BOARD

PFT on Quinn

titleist585

From the sounds of it the FO is pretty ambivilent on BOTH Quinn and Anderson

It's a ploy, man. Mangini must've learned it in Trading Players 101, because it's transparent as hell. I hope it isn't too transparent, or nobody's gonna offer anything...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tim, I have stated BQ should be given a chance to prove one way or another so we at least know what we have. This concept of qb rating as a overall grade of DA is ridiculous, you would not want to hold BQ toward that measuring stick. His overall qb rating was virtually the same as DA's against the worst defenses in the nfl this means virtually nothing. The team and coaching schemes have so much influence on these statistics to use as a significant tool to assess anything.

all of this rumour from the media is just that rumour. they know as much or less than they did last year and were clearly wrong last year and in all likelyhood wrong this year.

How many of the same people on this board last year pushed all the same rumours last year about DA going to traded/released never resigned etc? quoting the same media sources? Whats the best is Free agency releases to free cap space has pretty much already happened league wide and most teams are in combine assessment mode. obviously there will be many more moves but a new regime who has never got to actually work with either qb is going to dump or trade before they even have a chance to physically assess for themselves?

makes perfect sense. trade at least a good backup if not starter of young talent for possible talent in the draft in qb starved league because they dont have to financially or contractually.. All because the 1st rounder played a mediocre 3 games against garbage defensive teams and a poor preseason. DA may not be the answer but the kid showed glimpses of talent against the Giants and a 10 win season in 07, IF that was Quinn his fans would be ecstatic. The rest would be dismissed as being young and a learning/development curve... but its not, its a doofy laid back looking guy who was practice squad material in Baltimore drafted in the 6th rouns without any media circus hype.

I don't know man. QB rating is widely regarded as a good measuring stick. There's only one thing which can out weigh it, and that's wins. However, interceptions sabotage QB ratings and wins, as evidenced by our 4 and 12 season.

If we didn't have Quinn, I think I'd be in favor of giving DA another shot based on his pro bowl year. I still think he has strengths. He has a cannon, he is a lineman's best friend as he doesn't mess around in the pocket, he's a team guy, affable, etc. However, the '08 season is more consistent with his life long pattern of high interceptions and therefore rings true this will be his pattern in the future.

Quinn has shown glimpses of excellence as well. His pocket presence is better, he can pick up yards with his feet, his first TD pass to K2 was very athletic. Let's see what the kid has when given the reigns, with a starter level snaps in training camp and preseason. All last year he emulated the other teams offense. Not exactly a good way to gel with the first team.

Let me be the perspective guy here:

Quinn is a first-round pick an hasn't gotten any legitimate chance to play yet.

Can anyone name me the last first round pick by any team who never played any meaningful games and was traded? Let's qualify it further to, say, in the last 5 years.

Unless Quinn is the biggest bust of all time, he needs to play for us to determine his worth. That should happen this year.

If he needs to earn it, fine, let him earn it and make him compete with someone else.

But that someone else shouldn't be DA and it's for two reasons.

1. He's got way too much baggage in Cleveland now. It was fine when he had no expectations on him and nobody cared how he did but now that everyone is gunning for him, I just don't see how he survives that. Nothing in his history suggests he's the chip-on-the-shoulder kind of guy. Rather, history shows that he's more likely to fold than to rise to the challenge.

2. He has much more trade value now than he will later. We already missed the boat on trading him once. Can we afford to do it again? Say we bring him back and let him compete with Quinn and ManKok chooses Quinn and DA is finally and officially relegated to the bench. What is his value then? And are we willing to risk that scenario?

We should take nothing ManKok says at face value until training camp. Until then, everything is speculation EXCEPT the fact that DA's trade value will never be higher than this offseason.

The fact that we are debating a PFT talk article makes us all the much dumber. Florio hates the Browns and makes it a point to bad mouth them a few times a month. This is a media smoke screen. They are trying to raise DAs value.

AGAIN...PFT is terrible. We should have this thread locked...

Here's the real story, direct from Anderson.

Nobody knows what's going to happen...

"We really don't know what will happen at this point!" Anderson said Wednesday via email. "I'm under contract for two more seasons in Cleveland and I owe them my full attention as long as I am a Cleveland Brown."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2009/02/new..._might_not.html

Guest BillyJack
Here's the real story, direct from Anderson.

Nobody knows what's going to happen...

"We really don't know what will happen at this point!" Anderson said Wednesday via email. "I'm under contract for two more seasons in Cleveland and I owe them my full attention as long as I am a Cleveland Brown."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2009/02/new..._might_not.html

so! your lover has your email address!

Johnny Cakes Taylor has never reported anything other than Quinn = god for the past 2 years.

But it hasn't turned out that way.

Johnny Cakes Taylor is nothing more than a Quinn Fag.

The world is chock full of Queen fags my friend. There's 3 billion Chinese that worship at the altar of the Queen.

Bunch of homos I tells ya.

I'll say this for the 100th time: If Anderson beats out Quinn in a legit competition, he deserves the job.

He deserves the job? Anderson beat out Quinn last fall, even you were on this board touting his accomplishments in fall practice. My oh my how opinion changes when things don't go perfectly.

He deserves the job? Anderson beat out Quinn last fall, even you were on this board touting his accomplishments in fall practice. My oh my how opinion changes when things don't go perfectly.

And look how he performed, dipshit.

That's exactly what he's saying. If Quinn is not good enough to beat Anderson in an open competition, we're xxxxed anyway.

And Lum, here's why you have little street cred here.

From your posts, DA has no negatives and BQ has no positives.

Fanboys like you always take it on the chin in the forum world.

Most, if not all, of the pro-Quinn crowd here feels the same about these two points.

1. DA had his chance

2. BQ deserves a chance

It's not that DA is all bad or that Quinn is all good.

I agree nobody really knows what's going to happen. There are stranger things in life than starting QB quandries.

Guest Masters

What are you smoking? There was no competition last training camp/preseason. DA was named the starter before the start of camp, CLE made a point of saying there was no competion, and DA played all of 1 preseason game.

What are you smoking? There was no competition last training camp/preseason. DA was named the starter before the start of camp, CLE made a point of saying there was no competion, and DA played all of 1 preseason game.

My oh my how memories change.

Guest Masters
Well if drunkstupid tries to come back there is a link to prove him wrong I guess.

Like Lummy, he'll just find his way to the next thread about QBs for CLE. It's the only thing they can attempt to talk about when it comes to the Browns, and they always run from threads where they are dead ass wrong.

DA played all of one series in the first preseason game, looked all world. Quinn played the rest, looked OK.\

DA played maybe two series in game 2, got clobbered and had a concussion. Quinn played the rest of preseason.

The position was Quinn's for the taking. He threw only 1 TD pass all preseason, and that one was ripped out of a defenders hand by a Browns receiver, turning an Int into a TD.

Despite being out all preseason with a concussion and very little practice with his receivers in weeks, the Browns felt they HAD to play DA.

You just don't go playing a QB in DA's position the first game unless you feel he's your only option. DA may have been "named the starter" early on, but the reality is that Quinn had more opportunity than probably any other backup QB in the NFL to start the season at QB.

DA played all of one series in the first preseason game, looked all world. Quinn played the rest, looked OK.\

DA played maybe two series in game 2, got clobbered and had a concussion. Quinn played the rest of preseason.

The position was Quinn's for the taking. He threw only 1 TD pass all preseason, and that one was ripped out of a defenders hand by a Browns receiver, turning an Int into a TD.

Despite being out all preseason with a concussion and very little practice with his receivers in weeks, the Browns felt they HAD to play DA.

You just don't go playing a QB in DA's position the first game unless you feel he's your only option. DA may have been "named the starter" early on, but the reality is that Quinn had more opportunity than probably any other backup QB in the NFL to start the season at QB.

Wrong, Opie 'had' to play DA.

Then when Lerner saw the results, he made the change.

Guest Masters

First off, any time I hear a DA supporter bring up preseason and DA, it makes me laugh. We are talking about the same DA who in 2007 when he was in a QB compition couldn't beat out Frye and has thrown about the same amount of preseason TDs as Quinn. It's preseason. It means nothing. Coaches aren't necessarily even looking for TD passes out of the QB at that time.

Secondly, it didn't matter what Quinn did in the preseason. DA was gonna be the starter. CLE had just paid him starter money and committed to him, at least for the 2008 season. That is the reality. Plus, if you are gonna bag on Quinn's preseason performance, you might want to keep in mind that the majority of his time was spent in preseaons with the second string line, Winslow and Edwards not playing, Lewis for a few downs, and most of his passes having to go to Steptoe, Cribbs, and Sanders. Really a chance to shine and out perform DA hun?

You mean you can't assume a first round draft pick, with a ton of playing time in college can't do better than DA's 72 QBR rating over his last 16 starts? Seriously? CLE could go back to Charlie Frye and get the same results (look at DA's last 16 starts and Frye's last 16 starts w/ CLE, and you'll see similar numbers and the same QBR).

Quinn did not have more of an opportunity than any other backup in the NFL to win the starter position. He has as much chance as the backups for most NFL teams committed to a starter. DA could have played all of preseason and put on his normal preseason showing and it would not have mattered.

I got to say, I am starting to think your screen name is your way of just warning others in advance.

QUOTE (Drunkandstoopid @ Feb 26 2009, 02:19 PM)

quote name='AdaM' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:25 PM' post='46201']

Wrong, Opie 'had' to play DA.

Then when Lerner saw the results, he made the change.

How can you even say that drunken, seriously how can you say that BQ had any chance of wining the job when the job was not even up for grabs. I mean talk about rewriting history. B/C DA got hurt, in the preseason no less, it means that the job was "open". Man you cannot even argue with that logic b/c there is nowhere to go with it. Your statement goes against EVERYTHING we heard from the organization at the time and goes against a fairly high held "Code of Honor" in sports thats 'YOU DON'T LOOSE YOUR JOB TO INJURY'

Spec, you should go ahead and create and create/own the "Lumbergh" profile/persona on Chiefs, Lions and Jets message boards to really piss him off.

Though he just might morph into Peter Gibbons.

How can you even say that drunken, seriously how can you say that BQ had any chance of wining the job when the job was not even up for grabs. I mean talk about rewriting history. B/C DA got hurt, in the preseason no less, it means that the job was "open". Man you cannot even argue with that logic b/c there is nowhere to go with it. Your statement goes against EVERYTHING we heard from the organization at the time and goes against a fairly high held "Code of Honor" in sports thats 'YOU DON'T LOOSE YOUR JOB TO INJURY'

dont kid yourself there, its quite commom to lose a starting job do to injuries.

First off, any time I hear a DA supporter bring up preseason and DA, it makes me laugh. We are talking about the same DA who in 2007 when he was in a QB compition couldn't beat out Frye

I got to say, I am starting to think your screen name is your way of just warning others in advance.

I remember that preseason. DA drove the team better than Frye. He didn't throw more TD's, but the team scored better. He had one redzone failure that really pissed people off, but if you watched it, 2 of the delay penalties were caused by coach plumpy sending in players 3 seconds before the clock expired. What with the pick 6 or two, Frye was about +7 or +10 points for the whole preseason. Even Shepwrite was maintaining at the time that DA was playing better than Frye during preseason that year. If I recall correctly, pretty much only Flugel and Calfox were the only ones vocally crediting Frye as being the better QB at the time.

Guest Masters
I remember that preseason. DA drove the team better than Frye. He didn't throw more TD's, but the team scored better. He had one redzone failure that really pissed people off, but if you watched it, 2 of the delay penalties were caused by coach plumpy sending in players 3 seconds before the clock expired. What with the pick 6 or two, Frye was about +7 or +10 points for the whole preseason. Even Shepwrite was maintaining at the time that DA was playing better than Frye during preseason that year. If I recall correctly, pretty much only Flugel and Calfox were the only ones vocally crediting Frye as being the better QB at the time.

Actually, that is revisionist history as well. DA and Frye did about the same in that entire preseason. DA didn't just have redzone failures (which Frye had), DA had bad fumbles and took bad sacks that preseason.

It's extra funny that you bring up delay penalties, a common issue with DA. Guys lining up wrong and having to burn time outs. Yet as soon as Quinn replaced him as the starter, those suddenly disappeared for 2 1/2 games.

Watching that preason, if Quinn would have actually been in camp on time and part of the compition, CLE wouldn't likely even have been in this scenario, as Quinn likely would have beat out both guys.

DA is who he is and has been since HS. Since you have been following him since college, it should be even more apparent to you that he is the same player today that he was as a freshman are ORE ST.

Archived