THE BROWNS BOARD

PFT on Quinn

titleist585

How can you even say that drunken, seriously how can you say that BQ had any chance of wining the job when the job was not even up for grabs. I mean talk about rewriting history. B/C DA got hurt, in the preseason no less, it means that the job was "open". Man you cannot even argue with that logic b/c there is nowhere to go with it. Your statement goes against EVERYTHING we heard from the organization at the time and goes against a fairly high held "Code of Honor" in sports thats 'YOU DON'T LOOSE YOUR JOB TO INJURY'

dont kid yourself there, its quite commom to lose a starting job do to injuries.

True it does happen...not often when a guy gets hurt in a exhibition game and is deemed healthy before a game is played that counts.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
True it does happen...not often when a guy gets hurt in a exhibition game and is deemed healthy before a game is played that counts.

Especially at QB, when the guy will be back by the regular season opener.

Now during a season, that is a whole different animal.

Actually, that is revisionist history as well. DA and Frye did about the same in that entire preseason. DA didn't just have redzone failures (which Frye had), DA had bad fumbles and took bad sacks that preseason.

It's extra funny that you bring up delay penalties, a common issue with DA. Guys lining up wrong and having to burn time outs. Yet as soon as Quinn replaced him as the starter, those suddenly disappeared for 2 1/2 games.

Watching that preason, if Quinn would have actually been in camp on time and part of the compition, CLE wouldn't likely even have been in this scenario, as Quinn likely would have beat out both guys.

DA is who he is and has been since HS. Since you have been following him since college, it should be even more apparent to you that he is the same player today that he was as a freshman are ORE ST.

Statistically they were about even. One of them moved the team some. DA had 1 fumble all 2007 preseason, took 3 sacks against Denver and 1 the rest of the preseason, 1 sack more than Frye, statistically insignificant.

On burning time outs... so it's the QB's fault the linemen line up wrong and he has to burn timeouts, or are you saying he should have not recognized that they were lined up incorrectly and just run the play anyway? By the time Quinn got in it was 6 games into the season, maybe the linemen finally got their acts together.

Guest Masters
Statistically they were about even. One of them moved the team some. DA had 1 fumble all 2007 preseason, took 3 sacks against Denver and 1 the rest of the preseason, 1 sack more than Frye, statistically insignificant.

On burning time outs... so it's the QB's fault the linemen line up wrong and he has to burn timeouts, or are you saying he should have not recognized that they were lined up incorrectly and just run the play anyway? By the time Quinn got in it was 6 games into the season, maybe the linemen finally got their acts together.

DA had no TDs that entire preseason and as far as moving the team, Frye did it better. The real point still is, you want to use Quinn's preseason performance as any gauge, when if put to that test, DA has done even less in preseasons.

Yes, it is the QBs fault when lienmen line up wrong and yes he should recognize that. It's the QBs job to get them lined up right. Not just linemen, everyone, including WR, TE, and RB. He is the general/leader out there. A QB is supposed to know where everyone is to be from start to finish of the play. Apparently you have not watched any of the better QBs in the league before the snap.

Yeah, it took them 8 games (DA started the first 8 games, not 6) to get everything straightened out...lol. DA had the same guys for 16 games, but after that, and the removal of DA they suddenly got it right. Couldn't have anything to do with DA.....

If by 'Statistically they were about even' you mean 'statistically they both sucked ass' then I would agree with you.

Because STATISTICALLY they BOTH sucked ASS. That doesn't even count the 'eyeball' test where even someone who had never seen football before could have told you both guys sucked ass.

Anderson had 23 starts with the same guys and couldn't get the false start and bad clock management figured out. Suddenly, after two days of practice, the line and everyone else 'figures it out' with Quinn under center?

Weird how it's just the opposite when the guy who the starters never get time with has to come in and relieve the starter due to an injury. Mental mistakes usually go up when the backup comes in.

Do you even watch football?

You would have to be Tom Hanks in Castaway to not know there was no QB competition last year. DA was proclaimed the starter the second he was signed. Phillip confirmed it at the Browns Backers meeting when he questioned his whole staff and Joe Thomas on who the starter was and they all had to say DA.

Also, Frye had a better preseason than DA in 2007. He didn't put up any TD passes but moved the team. DA was goddawful, which is why he garnered no interest in draft picks so the Browns traded Frye instead. They knew one of them had to go so Queen could get reps and Frye was the only one who gave them something.

Christ, it's not that long ago to completely try to make shit up and revise history, but at this point anything is possible with the Oregon Trail.

Feel free to remind me of how Frye moved the ball better than Anderson again, but prove it.

I just looked at the play by play for all the preseason games of '07.

Frye - 12 drives - 6 punts, 1 fieldgoal, 1 TD, 1 Int, 1 fumble for a KC TD, 2 stalled drives (one turnover on downs, one end of half)

Anderson - 12 drives - 4 punts, 4 fieldgoals, 1 int, 1 fumble, 1 stalled drive (end of half), 1 missed fieldgoal

Quinn actually had by far the best results, but they were all late in the game.

Feel free to remind me of how Frye moved the ball better than Anderson again, but prove it.

I just looked at the play by play for all the preseason games of '07.

Frye - 12 drives - 6 punts, 1 fieldgoal, 1 TD, 1 Int, 1 fumble for a KC TD, 2 stalled drives (one turnover on downs, one end of half)

Anderson - 12 drives - 4 punts, 4 fieldgoals, 1 int, 1 fumble, 1 stalled drive (end of half), 1 missed fieldgoal

Quinn actually had by far the best results, but they were all late in the game.

Frye was the better QB in preseason or they would have started DA, they were begging to.

Feel free to remind me how there was an open competition last year for the starting QB.

Or you can cut and run like Lumtowski.

The point is, it was the oline. Frye vs Oakland, threw for 397 yds and let the Browns to 3 TD's, one of them a scramble into the end zone.

Now, at that time, Oakland was a weak defense. Oline did it's job.

The rest of the time, the oline was not able to get the job done.

So, the left side is excellent. But the Browns have failed to build their oline throught the draft

in the first three or four rounds for years. Quinn has skills that Frye and DA will never have.

It's time to get a center and a RT some freaking where. It all starts with the oline on offense, and the front seven on defense.

Without a solid line, fergit about it.

Frye was the better QB in preseason or they would have started DA, they were begging to.

Feel free to remind me how there was an open competition last year for the starting QB.

Or you can cut and run like Lumtowski.

I never said there was an open competition, just that because of Anderson's concussion, it was wide open for Brady to strut his stuff and get the initial season start 'til Anderson had some time to get up to snuff in practice again. Anderson got it by default... because Brady didn't show enough to be deemed ready to start.

As for Frye, nothing backs you up that he was the better QB in preseason. Let's face it, Anderson did not step forward "enough" to prove that he would have the kind of year he had, and the coaches being chicken s#it went with the guy who was "experienced" rather than turn it over to the inexperienced guy who looked somewhat better.

I never said there was an open competition, just that because of Anderson's concussion, it was wide open for Brady to strut his stuff and get the initial season start 'til Anderson had some time to get up to snuff in practice again. Anderson got it by default... because Brady didn't show enough to be deemed ready to start.

As for Frye, nothing backs you up that he was the better QB in preseason. Let's face it, Anderson did not step forward "enough" to prove that he would have the kind of year he had, and the coaches being chicken s#it went with the guy who was "experienced" rather than turn it over to the inexperienced guy who looked somewhat better.

Guest Masters
You would have to Tom Hanks in Castaway to not know there was no QB competition last year. DA was proclaimed the starter the second he was signed. Phillip confirmed it at the Browns Backers meeting when he questioned his whole staff and Joe Thomas on who the starter was and they all had to say DA.

Also, Frye had a better preseason than DA in 2007. He didn't put up any TD passes but moved the team. DA was goddawful, which is why he garnered no interest in draft picks so the Browns traded Frye instead. They knew one of them had to go so Queen could get reps and Frye was the only one who gave them something.

Christ, it's not that long ago to completely try to make shit up and revise history, but at this point anything is possible with the Oregon Trail.

Sadly in the 2007 preseason Quinn put up more than Frye or DA.

Guest Masters

Dude, DA was ready by the 4th preseason game to come back, but CLE held him out. Quinn never had a chance to start game one or anything else (and you just said a page or two ago Quinn had his chance to take the job in preseason when DA went out. Nice back peddle).

Um, the fact that Frye got the season opening start over DA is plenty to back up that he was better in preseason. I also think you mean the kind of 8 games DA had in 2007, not a season. Or are we to all pretend the back half of 2007 didn't happen?

And for your last point, sounds just like why they stuck with DA over Quinn now doesn't it.

Um, the fact that Frye got the season opening start over DA is plenty to back up that he was better in preseason.

And for your last point, sounds just like why they stuck with DA over Quinn now doesn't it.

Fry got the team into scoring position all of twice in preseason 2007. If you believe he was better in preseason, you probably also believe OJ spent the last decade searching for Nicole's killer.

As to my last point, which you brought up, I do think there's some possibility that's why we may still be seeing Anderson next year. Quinn's proves squatoosie so far, he's a risk. I still think the more likely odds are that DA's gone, and they bring in someone who'll start next season. My guess can be no more wrong than all the guys here who said no team would ever give DA a million buck contract or that DA wouldn't be here in '08. Lots of supposed knowledgeable football folk here.

Fry got the team into scoring position all of twice in preseason 2007. If you believe he was better in preseason, you probably also believe OJ spent the last decade searching for Nicole's killer.

As to my last point, which you brought up, I do think there's some possibility that's why we may still be seeing Anderson next year. Quinn's proves squatoosie so far, he's a risk. I still think the more likely odds are that DA's gone, and they bring in someone who'll start next season. My guess can be no more wrong than all the guys here who said no team would ever give DA a million buck contract or that DA wouldn't be here in '08. Lots of supposed knowledgeable football folk here.

This board is chock full of knowledgeable fans and many of them wanted us to trade DA while we could last year. Basically, the decision to keep DA is the ultimate reason that Savage and RAC no longer have jobs.

So yes, you are correct about the knowledgeable fans here.

Unlike you, I actually watched all of the preseason games. There's no 'looking at stats'. Your eyes could tell you all you needed to see - NEITHER of those guys proved they were starting caliber QBs in the NFL; neither of them proved they should ever be anything more than a 3rd backup as bad as they played. It was nearly as bad as watching Ken Dorsey in the last part of the season.

Anderson had a BUNCH of mistakes that don't show up on the stat sheets. IF he had not made those mistakes, he would have been named starter. But he did, and those goes into his overall body of work when making a decision.

Frye was just...Frye.

Believe it or not, the Job was basically Anderson's to lose, and he actually lost it.

Archived