THE BROWNS BOARD

One OSU Cornerback Jumps, another Slips

Mr. T

Ohio State cornerback Donald Washington might have leaped up the draft boards yesterday at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Washington, an early-entry junior, posted the best vertical leap and broad jump of anyone, regardless of position.

His vertical was 45 inches -- 2 inches better than the next-best effort by cornerback Darius Butler of Connecticut. Only three of approximately 300 players jumped higher than 41.5.

Washington's broad jump of 11 feet, 3 inches bested Butler by an inch.

Before the combine, Washington was projected as a fifth- to seventh-round pick.

Meanwhile, Washington's former teammate Malcolm Jenkins failed to quiet the doubters. The cornerback ran an unofficial time of 4.53 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Coming in, Jenkins was projected as the draft's top cornerback and a likely top-10 pick.

He was confident that he could break 4.5 and end the talk that he might be more suited for safety. But his 40 time ranked him just 20th among the 26 cornerbacks whose times were posted.

Despite that, Jenkins told the NFL Network that he might not attempt another 40 at OSU's pro day March 13.

"I haven't made that decision," he said.

He also said, "My game speaks for itself. I'm fast at game speed."

Washington's leap paid immediate dividends for his alma mater, Indianapolis Franklin Central High School.

According to a news release from athletic gear maker Under Armour, the company would donate 100 pairs of football cleats to the alma mater of any athlete who hit certain benchmarks at the combine while wearing its customized combine shoe.

The mark to hit in the vertical was 41 inches.

Yesterday was the combine's final day. Ohio State players who likely helped themselves during the one-week event were Washington, linebacker Marcus Freeman and receivers Brian Hartline and Brian Robiskie. Jenkins and linebacker James Laurinaitis might have raised some questions, and the draft stock of running back Chris "Beanie" Wells and offensive lineman Alex Boone probably remained steady.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/sports/st...C7.html?sid=101

Here is proof that the combines don't make a football player.....A whole bunch of us at work did a dance when we heard Washington and Hartline were both leaving OSU.

You make a valid point, i have said that for the past 8 years. Take any track star and he will fly thru a combine in his sleep.

But one thing it does do, if a player is injured, it will show up at the combine. You dont want to bet Milions a horse ready for the pasture.

Archived