THE BROWNS BOARD

Walter Mock Updated 2/26

BernietheKid

It's a four rd mock so I'll post the link: http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Here's are picks:

5. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest

It looks like this is Aaron Curry's floor. With some projecting the top linebacker in this class to go in the top three - I don't think this will happen, based on what I said in the Rams and Chiefs write-ups - Cleveland will be thrilled if Curry falls to them.

The Browns desperately need help at inside linebacker, given that the ineffective Andra Davis is a free agent. If, for some reason, Curry is unavailable here, the Browns will likely choose Brian Orakpo.

36. Cleveland Browns: Clay Matthews, DE/OLB, USC

I've had Shonn Greene going here in my previous few updates, but with weight and off-the-field issues being concerns, I've moved him down.

Cleveland simply couldn't get to the quarterback in 2008. The team managed 17 sacks, and no player had more than four. This really needs to change quickly.

Clay Matthews could be the answer. It helps that his father, also named Clay, played for the Browns for 16 years

100. Cleveland Browns: Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa

I seriously think Jamal Lewis could be the slowest person on the planet right now. If he ran the 40 in 13 seconds or more, I wouldn't be surprised at all. The Browns desperately need a better rushing attack for Brady Quinn.

I think Shonn Greene could fall on Draft Day. Greene didn't do well at the Combine and there are rumors that he has weight and work ethic issues.

I would be estatic if we got this draft but I highly doubt it. It's just a good topic for a conversation.

It's a four rd mock so I'll post the link: http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Here's are picks:

It looks like this is Aaron Curry's floor. With some projecting the top linebacker in this class to go in the top three - I don't think this will happen, based on what I said in the Rams and Chiefs write-ups - Cleveland will be thrilled if Curry falls to them.

The Browns desperately need help at inside linebacker, given that the ineffective Andra Davis is a free agent. If, for some reason, Curry is unavailable here, the Browns will likely choose Brian Orakpo.

I've had Shonn Greene going here in my previous few updates, but with weight and off-the-field issues being concerns, I've moved him down.

Cleveland simply couldn't get to the quarterback in 2008. The team managed 17 sacks, and no player had more than four. This really needs to change quickly.

Clay Matthews could be the answer. It helps that his father, also named Clay, played for the Browns for 16 years

I seriously think Jamal Lewis could be the slowest person on the planet right now. If he ran the 40 in 13 seconds or more, I wouldn't be surprised at all. The Browns desperately need a better rushing attack for Brady Quinn.

I think Shonn Greene could fall on Draft Day. Greene didn't do well at the Combine and there are rumors that he has weight and work ethic issues.

I would be estatic if we got this draft but I highly doubt it. It's just a good topic for a conversation.

Holy crap, that would be tremendous. No doubt it won't happen, but actually I think all three of these guys are gone before each projected slot for the Browns. Right now, I am hoping for Curry and then two starters anywhere on the field (except QB & TE) for our second-round picks.

Holy crap, that would be tremendous. No doubt it won't happen, but actually I think all three of these guys are gone before each projected slot for the Browns. Right now, I am hoping for Curry and then two starters anywhere on the field (except QB & TE) for our second-round picks.

This would rock but it would take a miricle for curry to be available at #5 and i question clay matthews being around at 36 as well hopefully mankok can move butterfingers and give us some more options..

I totally agree but now I don't think Curry is even going to be there with that pick. Plus I think we gotta see how it plays out with Rodgers because we definately can't go into the future with no NT again.

Todd McShay's mock draft has us taking Brian Orakpo. It was updated 2-27-09

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/ins...%26id%3d3939151

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16): Matthew Stafford*, QB, Georgia

This will be an excruciating decision for the Lions. On one hand, they need a franchise quarterback and there isn't enough depth in this year's class to feel good about the chances of finding one at No. 20 with the pick they acquired from Dallas in the Roy Williams trade.

On the other hand, Stafford does not grade out as high, in our opinion, as Matt Ryan did a year ago, and eight of the past 11 underclassmen quarterbacks drafted in the first round have either been outright busts or failed to meet expectations. This is the type of franchise-defining decision that could make or break the career of new G.M. Martin Mayhew.

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14): Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

Smith has emerged as the top offensive lineman in the 2009 class. The former tight end possesses the agility, power and work ethic to solidify the left tackle position in St. Louis for many years.

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14): Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

Tyler Thigpen might not be the long-term answer at quarterback for the Chiefs, but it's hard to imagine new GM Scott Pioli veering from the "Patriot way" he learned in New England. DE/OLB Brian Orakpo and DT B.J. Raji are other possibilities, and beefing up the offensive line isn't out of the question, either. But the Chiefs spent a pair of first-round picks on those spots last year and Pioli hit a home run with the first-round pick of linebacker Jerod Mayo in New England last season. Most importantly, Curry is the best defensive player in this year's draft and displays the versatility that Pioli looks for.

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12): B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

Michael Crabtree appears to be the obvious choice for a Seahawks team in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver. There's far more depth at wide receiver in this class than there is at defensive tackle, though, and a top priority for the Seahawks this offseason is to find a difference-maker at defensive tackle.

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12): Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas

Orakpo exited the combine as the top hybrid DE/OLB in the 2009 class. His pass-rushing skills would be a welcome addition to a Cleveland defense that notched just 17 sacks in 2008.

If someone is an ESPN insider maybe they can take a peek and see if this is just a single round or multiple?

This will be an excruciating decision for the Lions. On one hand, they need a franchise quarterback and there isn't enough depth in this year's class to feel good about the chances of finding one at No. 20 with the pick they acquired from Dallas in the Roy Williams trade.

On the other hand, Stafford does not grade out as high, in our opinion, as Matt Ryan did a year ago, and eight of the past 11 underclassmen quarterbacks drafted in the first round have either been outright busts or failed to meet expectations. This is the type of franchise-defining decision that could make or break the career of new G.M. Martin Mayhew.

Smith has emerged as the top offensive lineman in the 2009 class. The former tight end possesses the agility, power and work ethic to solidify the left tackle position in St. Louis for many years.

Tyler Thigpen might not be the long-term answer at quarterback for the Chiefs, but it's hard to imagine new GM Scott Pioli veering from the "Patriot way" he learned in New England. DE/OLB Brian Orakpo and DT B.J. Raji are other possibilities, and beefing up the offensive line isn't out of the question, either. But the Chiefs spent a pair of first-round picks on those spots last year and Pioli hit a home run with the first-round pick of linebacker Jerod Mayo in New England last season. Most importantly, Curry is the best defensive player in this year's draft and displays the versatility that Pioli looks for.

Michael Crabtree appears to be the obvious choice for a Seahawks team in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver. There's far more depth at wide receiver in this class than there is at defensive tackle, though, and a top priority for the Seahawks this offseason is to find a difference-maker at defensive tackle.

Orakpo exited the combine as the top hybrid DE/OLB in the 2009 class. His pass-rushing skills would be a welcome addition to a Cleveland defense that notched just 17 sacks in 2008.

If someone is an ESPN insider maybe they can take a peek and see if this is just a single round or multiple?

i saw mcshay's projected draft on espn yesterday. he has clay matthews going 20th to the lions BEFORE maualuga is drafted. i just thought that was funny

It's just a single round mock here is all of it:

6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Depending on how things shake out at wide receiver for the Bengals during free agency, Michael Crabtree could be a strong possibility here. However, the Bengals need to solidify their offensive line and Monroe is clearly the next-best option at offensive tackle. He's not a classic mauler by any means, but Monroe is a fluid athlete for his size and will do an excellent job of protecting QB Carson Palmer.

7. Oakland Raiders (5-11): Michael Crabtree**, WR, Texas Tech

Team Crabtree hasn't done itself any favors with the recent handling of the wideout's foot injury. Still, it is hard to imagine the draft's best athlete falling out of the top 10 picks even if he doesn't ever run a 40-yard dash for NFL scouts. This would be a steal for Al Davis and the Raiders.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11): Jeremy Maclin**, WR/RS, Missouri

The Jaguars are in the market for an offensive tackle but Andre Smith might be too risky at this point. The team has pressed all the wrong buttons at wide receiver for years now, but Maclin could finally provide the solution. He possesses the type of game-breaking speed to open things up for QB David Garrard and the Jaguars' offense. Maclin also has tremendous potential as a return man.

9. Green Bay Packers (6-10): Everette Brown*, DE/OLB, Florida State

The Packers could use a young pass-rusher like Brown to complement Aaron Kampman at outside linebacker in Dom Capers' newly implemented 3-4 scheme. The team could also use this pick on Raji if he's available.

10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9): Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama

Smith's stock was falling a bit even prior to his antics at the combine. Now he will be lucky if a team in the top 10 throws him a parachute. The 49ers could use his services opposite LT Joe Staley, but they will need to be convinced that Smith is ready -- both mentally and physically -- to immediately contribute at a high level. If not, Michael Oher is another possibility at tackle. The team also has needs at quarterback and wide receiver that it could address with this pick.

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9): Aaron Maybin**, DE/OLB, Penn State

Maybin's showing at the combine was a bit disappointing. He's an undersized end with excellent pass-rushing skills but limited experience. The Bills are in a position to develop a player like Maybin, who could be used strictly as a situational rusher early in his career.

12. Denver Broncos (8-8): Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

The Broncos need to bulk up along the front in order to make a smooth transition to the 3-4 scheme. They could use this pick on a linebacker, but Jackson is the only elite five-technique in this draft class.

13. Washington Redskins (8-8): Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

The Redskins' offensive line is aging in a hurry. Offensive tackles who move like Oher does do not last long on draft day; it wouldn't surprise us to see him come off the board in the first half of the first round. Oher is inconsistent but is also extremely talented.

14. New Orleans Saints (8-8): Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Jenkins could fall out of the top 10 following his subpar showing at the combine. He's still an outstanding all-round defensive back, but his below-average speed and questionable burst out of his backpedal might make him a better fit at free safety in the NFL. Regardless, the Saints would welcome his playmaking skills at either position if he falls in their lap.

15. Houston Texans (8-8): Mark Sanchez*, QB, USC

This is obviously a bit of a surprise selection. However, Texans starter Matt Schaub has had some durability issues and the Texans just sent backup Sage Rosenfels packing. Sanchez would be a great value at this point in the first round, and his inexperience would not be a factor because the Texans have the time to develop him properly as a backup early in his career.

16. San Diego Chargers (8-8): Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

The Chargers would also have to consider RBs Knowshon Moreno and Beanie Wells at this point. Depending on Maualuga's hamstring injury and individual workouts, though, he could be a good value in the middle of the first round. His size and explosive nature would make him a great fit at inside linebacker in the Chargers' 3-4 defense.

17. New York Jets (9-7): Vontae Davis*, CB, Illinois

Davis' stock is dropping after he failed to impress teams both on and off the field during the combine. The Jets are in need of a corner to start opposite Darrelle Revis; Davis has the natural ability to fill that void if he works at it and takes to coaching at the next level. Needless to say, Davis has boom-or-bust qualities that will scare several teams away on draft day.

18. Chicago Bears (9-7): Darrius Heyward-Bey*, WR, Maryland

The Bears need a receiver capable of stretching the field vertically. Heyward-Bey ran a combine-best 40-yard dash time of 4.30 seconds. Enough said.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7): Percy Harvin*, WR, Florida

Harvin is one of the true enigmas in this draft class. He comes with durability baggage and lacks a true niche on offense. However, there might not be a more dynamic weapon on the board. Tampa now has holes to fill all over, so why not take a shot on Harvin's playmaking potential?

20. Detroit Lions (from 9-7 DAL) (0-16): Clay Matthews, OLB, USC

The Lions' focus will likely shift to the defensive side of the ball here if Stafford is the No. 1 overall pick. Matthews is screaming up draft boards after a strong combine workout. He is a tough and instinctive defender with great versatility, and he would upgrade Detroit's pass rush and overall playmaking ability on the strong side.

21. Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1): Chris Wells*, RB, Ohio State

It will be interesting to see where Wells finally lands in the first round. There's no question he has top-10 running skills, but there are a handful of reasons he could drop this far, including durability concerns, a mediocre 40 time and almost no experience in the passing game.

22. Minnesota Vikings (10-6): Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi

The Vikings will take the best available athlete here, regardless of position. Jerry is among the top available prospects on our board in this scenario, and he makes sense for the Vikings considering their tenuous situation at defensive tackle (possible suspensions for Pat Williams and Kevin Williams). Jerry is not as big as the Williams tandem, but he has excellent quickness and could prove to be a good complement on passing downs even when all three are in the lineup.

23. New England Patriots (11-5): Brian Cushing, OLB, USC

Cushing did not perform as well as expected at the combine but he's still a nasty football player. His versatility and toughness would fit well in New England.

24. Atlanta Falcons (11-5): Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan

Delmas is arguably the most underrated prospect in the draft right now. In our opinion, he's the only safety worth selecting in Round 1, assuming Jenkins is listed as a corner. TE Brandon Pettigrew is also a strong possibility if available here.

25. Miami Dolphins (11-5): Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati

Yes, this might be too high for Barwin, but don't be shocked if he sneaks into the final few picks of the first round. His versatility is intriguing, and he's flying up several teams' draft boards after strong showings at both the Senior Bowl and the combine.

26. Baltimore Ravens (11-5): Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest

This is a tough decision for the Ravens. ILB James Laurinaitis simply isn't the right guy to play in the Ravens' scheme, and if the team is going to use this pick on a wide receiver it would have to be one with the vertical speed to take advantage of QB Joe Flacco's rare arm strength. Smith becomes the best available option at this point because he's the top cornerback on the board, but the Ravens would likely go in a different direction if Maualuga or Heyward-Bey falls here.

27. Indianapolis Colts (12-4): Hakeem Nicks*, WR, North Carolina

We think Nicks will ultimately emerge as the second- or third-best receiver from the 2009 class. Nicks does not have blazing speed, but he did run the 40 in the 4.4-second range and is a sturdy pass-catcher with exceptional hands.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (from 12-4 CAR) (9-6-1): Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State

OT Eben Britton would be a strong possibility here, but the Eagles would have a tough time passing on Pettigrew if he's available at pick No. 28. Pettigrew's stock is dropping after he ran a 4.85 in the 40, but he's still the best all-around tight end in this class and would complement incumbent TE Brent Celek well.

29. New York Giants (12-4): James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

Laurinaitis has too many physical limitations to go in the top half of the first round, but he would be a solid value at this point. If he were to step into the starting lineup as a rookie, it would allow Mathias Kiwanuka to remain at defensive end. The Giants will also be in the market for top available prospects at wide receiver and defensive tackle with this pick.

30. Tennessee Titans (13-3): Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

The Titans have other needs at wide receiver and defensive tackle, but Ayers would be a far better value than any player available at those positions. Ayers did not have a great combine workout and is a bit of a one-year wonder, but he is a 272-pound end with impressive quickness and power. He could potentially serve as a contributing backup in a three-man rotation with Jevon Kearse and Kyle Vanden Bosch early on before developing into a full-time starter.

31. Arizona Cardinals (9-7): Knowshon Moreno**, RB, Georgia

The Cardinals would be thrilled if the most complete back in the draft falls to them here.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4): Eben Britton*, OT, Arizona

The Steelers have some decisions to make in free agency regarding their offensive line. The use of this draft pick will likely depend on how those shake out, but assuming they are in the market for a tackle on draft day, Britton would project at right tackle or right guard. He played left tackle in college, and while he's not a great athlete, Britton has a sturdy build and good functional strength.

My favorite plan starts with signing Derrick Ward and cutting J-Lew, because it frees us up for a lot of interesting moves with those first three picks. Toss in Laveranus Coles and we could easily draft two linebackers and a center/guard.

I have a pretty good vibe we'll be signing James Sanders and a veteran corner who can actually play.

It looks like Mangingi and Kokinis love the depth in this draft and want to pile up some picks.

This might be a dumb ?? Does Lewis hold any trade value?

Here's are picks:

This is why you shouldn't do mocks until FA is over....Sanchez will not be a Chief!

This is why you shouldn't do mocks until FA is over....Sanchez will not be a Chief!

Yep....And Walter still has Stafford going #1 overall and I don't see it happening with Schwartz and Linehan in Detroit.

Schwartz is a math and numbers and odds guy. He talked in lengtht about the need to get a sure thing with the #1 pick.

With the history of junior Qb's failing and Linehan's run first offense, I don't think for a second that Schwartz takes Stafford.

1st round OT's have a history of success. I think the Lions take an OT #1.

Walter still has the Seahawks taking Crabtree at #4 and I think he's really fallen too.

My guess is both the top two Qb's fall. Probably to the Niners and Jets.

Guest Dacaddyman

Does anyone find it funny that they have Seattle taking Raji instead of a WR or RB? You would think the 'hawks would want a receiver or try to replace Alexander with a guy like Beanie Wells. If we don't take Raji, I can see him going to Jacksonville trying to replace Stroud. Is it me or did anyone else notice that when Stroud left Jacksonville thier defense was night and day to what it use to be?

Archived