THE BROWNS BOARD

Jabari Greer next to visit

We need Tom Tupa

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scou..._stop_for_greer

Browns could be next stop for Greer

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Posted By Albert Breer 2:42 PM

Free-agent cornerback Jabari Greer, late of the Bills, has wrapped up a visit with the Detroit Lions and could be headed to Cleveland next.

The Browns have shown interest since the start of the free-agency period. Cleveland is hosting Dolphins cornerback Andre Goodman today.

New coach Eric Mangini is looking for a player to compete with or replace incumbent right corner Brandon McDonald to play opposite Eric Wright

Guest Aloysius

Greer reportedly turned down a 5 year, $20M deal from the Bills. If we offer him more than that, I'll be a little bit surprised...and it'll be clear that Brandon McDonald won't be starting next year.

Greer reportedly turned down a 5 year, $20M deal from the Bills. If we offer him more than that, I'll be a little bit surprised...and it'll be clear that Brandon McDonald won't be starting next year.

Thanks Aloy! Any updates on Holly?

I LOVED what Mike Lombardi had to say about the cornerback position on Total Access this weekend. He said he NEVER understood people overpaying or overcommitting to the cornerback position IF they don't have a legit pass rush to HELP the secondary out. I completely agree.

I ALWAYS go back to the 2001 season when Courtney went on IR and we upgraded the pass rush with Jamir Miller. We LED the entire conference in INTs with this group of average Corners and Safeties:

CB - Corey Greybeard Fuller

CB - Daylon McCutcheon

3rd CB - Anthony Henry (rookie & good 3rd corner here but NEVER lived up to the expectations as a starting corner)

S- Earl Little

S - Percy Ellsworth who got injured and we brought in journeyman Davon Bush to play most of the year

We didn't have 1 superstar in that secondary; BUT the relentless efforts of Jamir Miller making QBs throwing the ball before they wanted to gave our D the ONLY number 1 ranking since the 80s. We were 2 OT losses from being 9-7 in 2001, which wasn't bad considering that followed 5-27 football.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

You're welcome, Tom.

Not much news on Holly, though there are reports that the Bucs have reached out to him.

I LOVED what Mike Lombardi had to say about the cornerback position on Total Access this weekend. He said he NEVER understood people overpaying or overcommitting to the cornerback position IF they don't have a legit pass rush to HELP the secondary out. I completely agree.

Saw that too, and I also agree.

I'm becoming a big fan of Mike Lombardi; he's good on NFL Network, and the stuff he writes for The National Football Post is always interesting.

I cant see paying out that much or even close greer really isnt that good if mankok wants some competition at the position bring us a prospect from the draft or at least a very good cb not some overhyped guy thats in it just for the money...;)

Its about the lack of pressure and the sporadic safetys these are issues that if not addressed will leave even the very best CBs lookin dumb and this teams record next year looking really bad..

I recall bmac specifically signaling both jones and adams several times each in various gamess for a safety valve over the top at least 6 or 7 times last year the valve never developed at least 4 times and bmac got burned..our safetys are the real problem they are often independant roamers in a team game..

I cant see paying out that much or even close greer really isnt that good if mankok wants some competition at the position bring us a prospect from the draft or at least a very good cb not some overhyped guy thats in it just for the money...;)

I'm leery of Greer, myself. He was a UDFA in 2004 and won the #2 CB spot in 2007. Was that by default? Greer didn't show enough to stop the Bills from selecting Leodis McKelvin with the 11th overall pick in 2008, to whom he lost the starting job to after hurting his ankle.

-Al

If he passed on that kind of money then he just doesn't want to play for the Bills. I can't imaging giving him that kind of money. He's a decent corner, but certainly not great.

I ALWAYS go back to the 2001 season when Courtney went on IR and we upgraded the pass rush with Jamir Miller. We LED the entire conference in INTs with this group of average Corners and Safeties:

CB - Corey Greybeard Fuller

CB - Daylon McCutcheon

3rd CB - Anthony Henry (rookie & good 3rd corner here but NEVER lived up to the expectations as a starting corner)

S- Earl Little

S - Percy Ellsworth who got injured and we brought in journeyman Davon Bush to play most of the year

We didn't have 1 superstar in that secondary; BUT the relentless efforts of Jamir Miller making QBs throwing the ball before they wanted to gave our D the ONLY number 1 ranking since the 80s. We were 2 OT losses from being 9-7 in 2001, which wasn't bad considering that followed 5-27 football.

- Tom F.

Miller was awesome he single handedly made a massive difference and proved an average secondary is adequete if there is pressure on the qb..

I'm becoming a big fan of Mike Lombardi; he's good on NFL Network, and the stuff he writes for The National Football Post is always interesting.

Lombardi had this to say today regarding the Browns:

SOMETHING TELLS ME BRADY QUINN IS NOT THE STARTER IN CLEVELAND … SORRY, MICKER…

I know things have been quiet on the shores of Lake Erie in terms of free agency, but the word I’m hearing is that Brady Quinn will have to win the job in Cleveland. Don’t be surprised if the Browns make a play for one of the quarterbacks in the draft. As they make over their facility, they might be making more changes with the roster. Quinn is too inconsistent with his accuracy, as is former starter Derek Anderson. The Browns might fit into the category of what John Madden used to refer to as “having a lot of something means you have nothing.”

(And the Micker I’m referring to is my son, who happens to be the biggest Brady Quinn fan in the world. This won’t make him happy.)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...rom-lombardi-9/

He also thinks that teams in need of a Wide Receiver would be wise to sign 26 year old RFA Lance Moore and give up the 2nd rounder it would cost as compensation.

-Al

Guest Aloysius

Well, anyone who's worked for Al Davis can be expected to have the occasional bout of insanity.

Would love to have Lance Moore, but not at the cost of a second round pick. I was actually a BQ-skeptic when he was available in the draft, but I'm even more skeptical about the guys in this year's draft. I like Mark Sanchez, but it wouldn't make sense to draft a guy who needs a year or two to develop when you may already have that guy on your roster.

I, too, was a Quinn skeptic. He most often has a very nice touch on his passes, but those 3 or 4 (or 5) "WTF-Passes" (as they've been dubbed) every game are an issue. Inaccurate QBs combined with butterfinger WRs add up to alot of losses.

I agree that the 2009 QB prospects don't give us much reason to start over without giving Quinn a real opportunity. I am very interested to see what he can do over the length of a whole season.

-Al

BQ will be fine, all we need is to execute the running game and we need a burner of a wide out to stretch the defense.

But that alone wont win a championship, we need solid play on defense. We have a lot of nothing there also but we do have a couple of gems that we can build around.

When it comes down to it, we need some good old fashioned football players. Guys who LOVE the game more than money.

Archived