THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Cribbs likes Mangini even more than we thought....

PlaygroundLegend

Cribbs is an excelent player on and off the field , we could use more guys like him.

I liked the idea of trying to use him as a db, I often wondered this last season. The guy has speed quick hips to make them cuts and turns only thing that he lacks is heigt but not all db's are tall anyway.

Gotta give this guy a raise if you ask me... he does nothing but work can't beat it.

Cribbs is an excelent player on and off the field , we could use more guys like him.

I liked the idea of trying to use him as a db, I often wondered this last season. The guy has speed quick hips to make them cuts and turns only thing that he lacks is heigt but not all db's are tall anyway.

Gotta give this guy a raise if you ask me... he does nothing but work can't beat it.

Cribbs is 6'1", he'd be a tall DB.

"Mangini told Cribbs that he plans to use him all over the field, including defensive back if necessary."

I've been saying for a while now that they should use him as a Safety. After seeing the way he covers kicks, I think he'd be pro-bowl caliber as a Safety.

He would be fine at safety or nickel back but he would be an upgrade over cousins, like night and day.

I've been totally overlooking Cribbs at safety. The dude can tackle and lay the WOOD. He might be an EXCELLENT strong safety - a guy that puts fear in receivers coming into his area and stopping the run.

Hmmmm.....

edit: Just finished reading the article. We need more guys like Josh Cribbs - there's a guy who could be a leader on either side of the ball, if he gets the chance to play.

Guest 88fingerslewy
And here we see the difference of somebody with class and somebody without.

Cribbs went to the coach to meet him, he didn't sit and pout cause the coach didn't roll out the red carpet for him

Seriously, I know we haven't gotten any direct quotes from Rogers, but this story has been going for weeks now, and you know he's heard it, if it wasn't true he would of given a quote to a reporter by now. F*ck Rogers, get his fat pampered ass out of town, I don't care how talented he is, he's only on the field 2 downs anyway. Screw him.

Ya know when someone posts the exact same thing you were thinking?

I mentioned a few days ago about seeing "big baby" in a steak-house last year and about getting snubbed. Well a few games later I'm walking near the Hyatt a few hours before the Broncos game and just about walked right into Josh. I said hello he smiled, small chit-chat. A small gesture can sure go a long way. Class guy indeed.

I was against this idea when I first heard it, but I'm warming to it a bit. The downside is that that means that he would pretty much have to give up being an offensive player. The upside is that if the offense does its job and keeps the defense off the field, Cribbs can play special teams AND defense, and take advantage of his hitting ability, which has always impressed me more than his offensive ability.

I'm wondering how much Mangini looked at him and saw Troy Brown. Given his ability to shift gears and make plays with the ball, if he can get the coverage down he might be...I hate to jinx it...something closer to Eric Berry. And that, my friends, would be awesome.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius
I'm wondering how much Mangini looked at him and saw Troy Brown. Given his ability to shift gears and make plays with the ball, if he can get the coverage down he might be...I hate to jinx it...something closer to Eric Berry. And that, my friends, would be awesome.

If Mangini turns Cribbs into Eric Berry, he'll also turn me into his biggest fan.

Personally, I'm thinking this transition may be more gradual than we're expecting. Unless injuries require a speedier transition, I'd imagine Cribbs would start off as an additional run-stuffer or blitzing in sub packages, then would get a chance to play in coverage sometime the following year, after he's had two training camps' experience playing safety.

That, I think, would give him a better chance at succeeding. If he plays safety early this year and gets burned two or three times, it'll quash what many of us here think would be a very good experiment.

Guest Aloysius
And here we see the difference of somebody with class and somebody without.

Cribbs went to the coach to meet him, he didn't sit and pout cause the coach didn't roll out the red carpet for him

Well, multiple reports said that Rogers asked to meet with Mangini, but the coach said no.

From what I can tell, Cribbs just knocked on the door and introduced himself, which is great. When the story about Cribbs and Mangini meeting first popped up, I said it was great that Cribbs felt comfortable just walking into Mangini's office and striking up a conversation. For Mangini, who's not known to be the most personable guy, having a guy like Cribbs who will come to him to chat about the team is of inestimable value.

That said, what would happen if all 53 players decided they'd go to the coach and chat? Some coaches may be comfortable with that, but I don't think Mangini is one of them.

Because of that, I don't fault Rogers for trying to arrange a meeting through the normal channels. I don't think that makes him classless; from what I can tell, he was just trying to follow the rules.

Well, multiple reports said that Rogers asked to meet with Mangini, but the coach said no.

From what I can tell, Cribbs just knocked on the door and introduced himself, which is great. When the story about Cribbs and Mangini meeting first popped up, I said it was great that Cribbs felt comfortable just walking into Mangini's office and striking up a conversation. For Mangini, who's not known to be the most personable guy, having a guy like Cribbs who will come to him to chat about the team is of inestimable value.

That said, what would happen if all 53 players decided they'd go to the coach and chat? Some coaches may be comfortable with that, but I don't think Mangini is one of them.

Because of that, I don't fault Rogers for trying to arrange a meeting through the normal channels. I don't think that makes him classless; from what I can tell, he was just trying to follow the rules.

Never read anywhere that Rogers asked for a meeting. As a matter of fact when this broke Kokinis contacted Rogers's agent to set up a meeting, which is now going to happen. Do you have a credible link to anybody reporting that Rogers asked for a meeting or just an internet rumor.

I think rapping Mangini is all BS. Rogers got upset because he got a letter about a reporting weight per his contract, which are basically standard. Kokinis called Rogers's agent not Rogers trying to set up a meeting through normal channels.

Guest Aloysius
Never read anywhere that Rogers asked for a meeting. As a matter of fact when this broke Kokinis contacted Rogers's agent to set up a meeting, which is now going to happen. Do you have a credible link to anybody reporting that Rogers asked for a meeting or just an internet rumor.

Here's a link to the John Clayton report that I quoted here.

To be safe, I'll just quote it here again:

The Browns definitely have a problem with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. Through his agent, he informed the Browns he doesn't want the $5 million in roster and option bonuses to stay in Cleveland. He wants out. According to a source, Rogers wanted to have a sit-down with head coach Eric Mangini but was told Mangini would meet with the team as a whole March 16 when the offseason program begins. There would be no individual meetings. The team controls the option, so if it pays the money, he will remain a Brown. Rogers signed a five-year, $37.8 million extension last season.

"I was just sitting at home, anxious, wondering who I was going to bleed for this year -- and if he could stand up to it,'

I love this quote... Cribbs can really do no wrong, I hope he gets a FAT contract, he really deserves it

"As of now, having met Eric Mangini and having spoken with him, I believe he's a winner. I believe he will get the job done here.''

Does anyone else see the confidence he has here? I dont know about you guys but this has me amped!

"Coach Mangini brings a lot of discipline. If that's going to help us and bring a winning attitude here, then so be it. If I have to get used to it, I have to get used to it. I'll do anything to win.''

I mean, does he know how to not say the perfect thing? Geeze, Cribbs is fricken football Jesus

"Kellen was a huge asset to our team,'' he said. "He has a lot of heart. We have talented guys, guys who can stand in and pick up the slack, but he will be missed.'''

this makes me a little sour about the Winslow trade, but I guess it was for the best

I think Josh would make a great Strong Safety. He wouldn't have to be in coverage all the time, could track down RBs, and when i watch Josh on ST's, he hits pretty damn hard.

Only thing is doesn't Josh have pretty bad asthma? I know he runs hard on ST, and the few plays he is in on offense, but being on the field for a dozen or so snaps at a time, would that cause a problem for him?

Maybe his asthma is pretty controlled, I don't know, he doesn't talk about it much in interviews.

I think Josh would make a great Strong Safety. He wouldn't have to be in coverage all the time, could track down RBs, and when i watch Josh on ST's, he hits pretty damn hard.

Only thing is doesn't Josh have pretty bad asthma? I know he runs hard on ST, and the few plays he is in on offense, but being on the field for a dozen or so snaps at a time, would that cause a problem for him?

Maybe his asthma is pretty controlled, I don't know, he doesn't talk about it much in interviews.

He was a running quarterback in college, I dont think asthma affected him then

Good point. Football is one of the few sports were asthma may not effect you as much as others. Plays usually don't last too long, and you get time to rest before the next snap. I know many basketball and soccer players drop out of talks of going pro due to it, but those sports require more running without resting.

I'm rooting for Josh, he may not have a solid position, but he is 110% football player!

whenever i see Josh take on many duties during a game i make it a point to look for him afterward by the sidelines to see how he's holding up. he consistently takes oxygen and he uses his inhaler throughout every game. the producers do a good job editing that out and keeping the cameras off him then but it's reality.

we've all seen what he can do so this is not a knock on him but it exists nonetheless. it can be managed and there are certainly more effective ways for us to use him than running the mile at the track meet.

i wrote this elsewhere, it seems more relevant here:

Harrison still heads for the sidelines every play and until he man's up his game will still suffer. having him return kicks last year and lining Josh up where Harrison was would have accomplished so much more....Cribbs as a safety valve=brilliant in my mind. he can block, he can read, good size, hands, can throw.....wtf were they thinking last year. have the guy w/ asthma run only when he has to, obviously. not returning friggin' punts and kicks. it's never too late......but at safety? life is a fun movie.

Harrison's increased experience through special teams only would have helped him. or exposed him.

yet there they were, using screwdrivers to open paint cans (cribbs) and playing to save their jobs rather than developing the young players.

Archived