THE BROWNS BOARD

Cassel trade a possible NFL violation?

osusev

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,144951

I dont really have an opinion one way or the other. It would not surprise me if either or some shade of grey deal went down. The Tampa three way trade with a 1 and a 3 seems interesting...

he can trade him to whoever and for whatever he wants no violation there.

same thing happened with Farve last year

IF it was something grey or shady it does affect us... DA IF Mangini and company were actively looking to trade him his value would have been affected. Too many IFs for me...

I cant see Belichick doing somethig like this to benefit Pioli. Cassel was a nobody that suddenly was worth a round two draft pick and they used him to bouy themselves last year. Massive value upgrade and with Brady coming back they dont need to pay out the kind of Money Cassel was due.

however it is not TOO paranoid to think the Bill being the evil genius he is thought of all the chaos he might create while benefitting his franchise...

Ok, ready for the paranoid thought of the day?

Perhaps BB knew that Mangini was trying to get rid of DA, so in order to screw Mangini back he intentionally drove the value on DA way down so we would be hog tied with him for another season....

Think about that one....

Cassel was never worth what a lot of people thought he was worth.

He has an NFL arm...but on the lower end of the spectrum. He benefited from playing on the 16-0 NE team...with all the weapons anyone could ever want...and still managed to go 3-4 against teams with a .500 or better record. Sorry...he just isn't worth what everyone thought on the open market.

As for including Vrabel...he is a 33yr old LB on the downside of his career with a young guy waiting in the wings....and he has a $3.6M cap hit. So basically NE was clearing cap space by trading him (and making sure he didn't go inside the AFC East if they released him). So that too was a well thought out action.

DA still has 2nd round value to anyone who understands QBing.

He has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

He won 10 games with a perennial LOSER (not 11 with a 16-0 talent laden SB contender).

Although DA came back to earth...he has the 'excuse' of BE's dropsies...JL's lack of running game...Tucker being out...etc...

So, all this speculation of BB doing this to undermine DA's value is just that. Speculation....and that only by writers with nothing better to write about.

BB got value and cap space in the trade....and now he can sign his 6 picks in the first day of the draft.

What really affects us is NE picking above us in round two. And, the draftniks projection is them taking Clay III.

He's really sticking it to Mangini. KC has their QB so they can take Curry without worry.

What really affects us is NE picking above us in round two. And, the draftniks projection is them taking Clay III.

He's really sticking it to Mangini. KC has their QB so they can take Curry without worry.

They may still go with Raji (and I think they do).

Look at it this way.

They need BOTH the LB and NT.

If they don't take Curry....there are other options at LB (and now Vrabel can fill in for a year or two).

If they don't take Raji...there is NOBODY!!!

Guest Aloysius
They may still go with Raji (and I think they do).

I really doubt that. The reports of Raji having off the field issues don't exactly make him a Patriot Way type. There's also a school of thought that Raji's more of a one gap penetrator than a 3-4 NT (not sure I buy it, but it's there).

If they don't take Raji...there is NOBODY!!!

What about Raji's teammate, Ron Brace?

I'm also hearing that some teams like Louisville DT Adrian Grady and Michigan's Terrance Taylor as potential 3-4 nose tackles. Neither of those guys will be able to start immediately, but that may not be much of an issue if Pioli thinks a guy he already has on his roster, Tank Tyler, can play NT.

Believe me, John, I want to hold out hope that we'll be able to get Curry. But I'm convinced the Chiefs will take him if he isn't already off the board at #3.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

This could explain why trade talks with the Broncos broke down:

The situation erupted days into free agency when Cutler learned the Broncos were proposing to move him in a three-team trade to acquire Matt Cassel, whom McDaniels coached with New England. Multiple league sources have said the Patriots weren't happy when McDaniels signed away wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, and they wound up trading Cassel to Kansas City -- a division rival of Denver -- and former New England executive Scott Pioli.

Sounds like McDaniels could be the next Mangini.

IF it was something grey or shady it does affect us... DA IF Mangini and company were actively looking to trade him his value would have been affected. Too many IFs for me...

I cant see Belichick doing somethig like this to benefit Pioli. Cassel was a nobody that suddenly was worth a round two draft pick and they used him to bouy themselves last year. Massive value upgrade and with Brady coming back they dont need to pay out the kind of Money Cassel was due.

however it is not TOO paranoid to think the Bill being the evil genius he is thought of all the chaos he might create while benefitting his franchise...

The way this trade went down affects the Browns in this way:

Cassel AND Vrabel for whatever the pick was, devalues every other QB that other teams try to trade.

DA still has 2nd round value to anyone who understands QBing.

He has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

He won 10 games with a perennial LOSER (not 11 with a 16-0 talent laden SB contender).

Although DA came back to earth...he has the 'excuse' of BE's dropsies...JL's lack of running game...Tucker being out...etc...

John, you've made a case for us keeping him. Other teams might look at like that as well.

If there is a good case for keeping him when you don't know if you have QB, yet you still want to get rid of him, what do you know that we don't and you're not telling us?

Its a simple rule of thumb that coaches and GMs alike still have to learn the hard way...if billyboy is done with it you dont want it.. pretty much the same for the steelers leftovers thats why we browns fans understand nothing good comes from these 2 clubs scraps so pioli most likely got himself a genuine 1 year wonder that will have a subpar career overall...;)

On the otherhand we dont have any idea what we have in mankok other than their approach is patient and refreshing in a boring kind of way...;)

Archived