THE BROWNS BOARD

ManKok

KardiacKid26

If it is a weak FA class is it not more important to sign a few of the good ones? Unless your plan is to build through the draft. Which it seems to me is the new plan here. Trade away some dead weight and over priced veterans for draft picks and move forward. Looks to me that not only was DA a one year wonder but the team was as well in 2007. the new management appears to be trying to build the team up for the long run and not the short run. I like that plan myself, what is a few more years of lossing if the end result will be many years of success. Build through the draft, not Free agency.

Guest Masters
If it is a weak FA class is it not more important to sign a few of the good ones? Unless your plan is to build through the draft. Which it seems to me is the new plan here. Trade away some dead weight and over priced veterans for draft picks and move forward. Looks to me that not only was DA a one year wonder but the team was as well in 2007. the new management appears to be trying to build the team up for the long run and not the short run. I like that plan myself, what is a few more years of lossing if the end result will be many years of success. Build through the draft, not Free agency.

Agree with you cmac. Though with how weak the FA class is, you probably don't want to sign the few good ones. Because they are well out of your price range, or people that in reality you are gonna over pay, in terms of their real value on the field.

It's not even a week into the free agent period, in a weak FA class. Relax :)

Yes - besides none of the dozens of guys who have signed with other teams in free agency are any better than the guys currently on the Browns. You guys are already in solid shape - and clearly your coach and GM recognize this.

Guest Aloysius

Guys like Igor Olshansky, Jabari Greer, Jim Leonhard, and Eric Barton are still available. And veterans like Torry Holt and Deion Branch could still be released.

As Masters said, it's way too early to start freaking out.

Thanks for the common sense. Let's do it right this time, build the team through the draft and use FA to fill some depth spots. A weak FA class means a few top players and they will all be vastly overpaid and most will be underachievers.

I'm thinking some of it might be that they are planning on dumping two more players via trades and could end up with a high first round and as many as four 2nd round picks. It's going to take a lot of cash to sign 5 picks in the top 50 or so.

Im thinking the same thing oldcow mankok is going to trade at least 2 more players likely suspects DA and BE the approach they are taking is exactly what we need i have a feeling the afc north will have a new champion within a couple years and it aint gonna be a fluke 1 year ordeal!

By golly i think randy got it right this time...

Did i say that? :blink:

It's not even a week into the free agent period, in a weak FA class. Relax :)

I agree. This a woefully weak class.

The best thing we can do is let it come to us and allow other teams to jump out and overpay.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all we get this year are some low level back-up guys a few weeks in to the process.

Has Jones been out on interviews yet? For all we know we may still be in play there.

but what's wrong with signing one or two solid free agents? you need guys with experience, and just because you're "rebuilding", doesn't mean you suit up a bunch of 17 year olds and use that as an excuse for getting worse the next two years. We should be improving bit by bit. You need to create a culture of success and winning. there is nothing wrong with getting 2-5 years out of an experienced NFL player to help you build that team, shape rookies and establish a winning culture. the draft alone will not always do it, imho.

but what's wrong with signing one or two solid free agents? you need guys with experience, and just because you're "rebuilding", doesn't mean you suit up a bunch of 17 year olds and use that as an excuse for getting worse the next two years. We should be improving bit by bit. You need to create a culture of success and winning. there is nothing wrong with getting 2-5 years out of an experienced NFL player to help you build that team, shape rookies and establish a winning culture. the draft alone will not always do it, imho.

Yea because that has worked so well for the last 3 years.

Archived