THE BROWNS BOARD

DA deserves a shot in training camp. At the very least...

Guest mz.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LMFAO. Lum, you are just too weak. You mean all those TDs he threw over his first 7 starts, right? Shall we talk about all of them over his last 16 starts after teams made adjustments against him?

Good call masterbater, DA has "only" thrown 21 TDs over his last 16 starts.

Funny thing is that nobody else has done that in Cleveland in over 20 years. And that's what you call "BAD DA".

oops looks like you shit and fell back in it again masterbater.

If he isnt traded he definately deserves a shot at the starting job.. he is a pro bowl qb and as demonstrated last year he had shit for WRs and we may have again this year..

However if mankok goes dink n dunk as many suspect then DA need not even apply because bq will eat him alive...

This board is not "anti-DA". We are (if I may speak for the many of us who have been saying this for some time) "anti-bad QBing".

DA has been BAD. BAD BAD BAD.

He's played the position better for us than anybody else has since 99, which includes a #1 overall pick, a 4-time Pro Bowler, and a guy that won a Super Bowl.

Of course they all had something in common: the team they played on sucked.

Other than Anderson in 07. In 07 we were not a good defensive team, but we had offensive firepower

We had a #1 receiver that played like a #1 receiver. We had a Pro Bowl tight end that was a true weapon. And we had a solid third target in Joe J.

Last year Edwards was awful, Winslow was gimpy and Joe J. was gone without a healthy replacement

07: Edwards, Winslow and Joe combined for 212 catches for 3009 yards and 24 TDs

08: Top three receivers (Edwards, Winslow, Heiden) combined for 121 catches for 1550 yards ad 6 TDs

The difference is astounding.

Yes, Anderson is inconsistent. But ... Braylon's drops: not his fault ... Winslow's injuries: not his fault ... Joe's injury: not his fault .... stallworth's injuries: not his fault ... having Steptoe as your second receiver: not his fault.

Look how Anderson was able to produce as a first-year starter when he was surrounded by healthy talent.

Last year we had second receiver that probably wouldn't be on most NFL rosters and a first receiver that led the league in drops. Oh ... and a running back that averaged 3.6 a carry.

How is any QB supposed to win with that crap?

Flush 2008.

Let Quinn prove he's better than Anderson. Plain and simple. Then ship Anderson out.

Zombo

That's a judgment call. We don't know for certain. I didn't watch every Packers or Colts game.

Fair enough... but you can't deny that Winslow and Braylon made some ridiculous catches that season that hardly any other receivers make. They catch balls they have no business catching. Remember that diving catch by Braylon in week 2 in the 100 point Bengals game?

Good lord, this is exactly what I was afraid of......this whole offseason is going to be rehashing all the same bullshit for the millionth time regarding the Serial Drive Killer and what Queen can or can't do.

I've said this a ton of times, but DA can look like the better player in practice, but that doesn't mean he is going to be the better game player.

What will it take for this town to give the first round draft pick the same amount of starts as DA with nobody breathing down his throat after every mistake?

Please get this fooker outta here Mankok so we can get on with this franchise and away from this inane conversation that has been beaten down way too many times. I'll take a third right now.

Look how Anderson was able to produce as a first-year starter when he was surrounded by healthy talent.

Zombo

This has been said before but I'll say it again. He was surrounded by so much ridiculous talent that he SHOULD have had at least 29 touchdowns. I mean, all he had to do was put the ball somewhere in the general area code of Winslow, JJ, or Braylon and it was a gigantic play. I can't think of any other offense in the NFL where the QB can just drop back and take a chance and throw a broadly accurate CHANCE-ball at the first read and be successful like the 07 Browns. DA never even had to think during the first part of 2007, when his first reads were open and defenses didn't know his arm strength. It's sort of like Warner to Fitzgerald... Warner just puts it there almost regardless of coverage and Fitz makes a play on it most of the time.

Once they saw the weakness and took those away, QBing in the 07 Browns offense became a bit more difficult for DA. He had to think through things on dropbacks. He couldn't do it. He shit the season away.

Aside from one game against the Giants in 08, he's shown that his terrible-ness is permanent. He can't get away with dropping back and launching the ball at the first receiver he looks at without reading coverages. It doesn't work for very long.

Pittsburgh has a better franchise than we do because of the organization and coaching/developing players, New England is better because of the same reason. We have a new management, lets see how they operate and develop/manage players and games.

BQ should have a lead in percentage because of PR going into training camps. He will earn his shot and then actually have to produce what all of the prediction and fan support.

Nice Post mz the pussy.

Fair enough... but you can't deny that Winslow and Braylon made some ridiculous catches that season that hardly any other receivers make. They catch balls they have no business catching. Remember that diving catch by Braylon in week 2 in the 100 point Bengals game?

I can agree to part of this, except for the bold portion. :)

you had to know it would be, though. i'm just surprised you guys got any sane discussion in whatsoever.

It was good while it lasted.

If DA is nicknamed "the Drive Assassin," Lummy would be the "Thread Assassin." This thread proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

yeag that is almsot as bad as comrhrhendination................I think that is what mz the pussy used in a previous thread in prefect grammar to attack a fellow member

yeag that is almsot as bad as comrhrhendination................I think that is what mz the pussy used in a previous thread in prefect grammar to attack a fellow member

HUH?

Was not aware you were fluent in Hieroglyphs, Richard.

Damn the Colts for laying down to the Titans! Damn Jim Sorgi!!

Huh?

I had a mini-epiphany this morning, and I know I'll probably take a lot of crap for this, but who cares. The epiphany I had was, to me, the 2008 Cleveland Browns season didn't exist. Romeo couldn't coach. Braylon couldn't catch. We had injuries. I'm pretending the 2007 season just ended. Don't like it? Sue me.

That being said, I strongly believe Derek Anderson, if he isn't traded, deserves (AT LEAST) a shot at the starting QB gig in camp. This has nothing to do with his Pro Bowl appearance (which just happened BTW, it being March 2008 and all). My thoughts are based on two things. The guy is undeniably talented, and the things he needs to improve upon have nothing to do with "talent." His teammates obviously like him, so I have no doubt he could become a leader. He does have problems with short/intermediate passes (obviously), but that's something repeated/consistent reps as a starter and quality coaching can possibly fix. He's still very very young. He has room to mature; he has essentially one season as a starting QB under his belt.

Now look at these historical comparisons. Below are Derek Anderson's, Peyton Manning's and Brett Favre's stats in their first season as a starting QB. They look pretty similar to me.

Season Team G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck

2007 Cleveland Browns 16 15 298 527 56.5 3,787 7.2 29 19 14

1998 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 326 575 56.7 3,739 6.5 26 28 22

1992 Green Bay Packers 15 13 302 471 64.1 3,227 6.9 18 13 34

Go ahead and say that the 2007 Browns were much better teams than the 1998 Colts and the 1992 Pack. And then think about what the Browns did/looked like in the 2008 season. The season that never existed.

The one thing you can knock, so far, on Anderson is his low completion % and his low QB rating. Then look at Manning's in 1998 and compare it to this season's (almost 67%). You can then say DA sucked this year, where Peyton improved to 62.7 in year two, but remember, this 2008 Browns season never existed. Besides, when you have the ability to create the big play like Anderson evidently does, you don't need to complete 67% of your passes.

Lastly, this is IN NO WAY a knock on Quinn. I think he can, in time, become a very good pro QB. But Derek, based on what we have seen him do in spurts and based upon historical comparisons, deserves at least a shot at being our guy. call me a DA fag, call me Lumbergh, but y'all know that just isn't true.

DA deserves a shot, and I'm sticking to it.

As much as it pains me to do so, I actually agree with mz the pussy on THIS subject. DA is not going to lay down and die on the sidelines. He will compete with Quinn, and could very well beat Quinn out for the job. If he is not TRADED, he could very well be the starting QB.

I have to agree on a few points. DA has not improved much on his scouting reports. He is still making the same mistakes he did in school. I also agree that Romeo was not a good head coach. Let me also agree that if BQ cannot beat out DA for the job then he doesn't deserve the chance either. So where does that leave us????

We cannot deny the fact that really bad business decisions were made by the front office. We signed a first round QB then benched him. Then we gave a big contract to a guy who had one good season. This INSTANTLY created the QB controversy that still lingers and will not go away until next season or until one of them is traded. We cannot pretend 2008 didn't happen because it did!

I don't hate DA ( I don't like him much....but don't hate him) and I am also not sold on BQ. I do believe that good business sense tells me to play the guy we drafted to be the "future" of the franchise and let him write his own history. The controversy needs to end either way! It is never healthy to go into camp not knowing who the QB will be.

I say whoever beats Pittsburgh next and ends our miserable losing streak to them be given the keys to the city and be hailed the next "King of Cleveland"!!!!!!!!!

Damn the Colts for laying down to the Titans! Damn Jim Sorgi!!

Huh?

I had a mini-epiphany this morning, and I know I'll probably take a lot of crap for this, but who cares. The epiphany I had was, to me, the 2008 Cleveland Browns season didn't exist. Romeo couldn't coach. Braylon couldn't catch. We had injuries. I'm pretending the 2007 season just ended. Don't like it? Sue me.

That being said, I strongly believe Derek Anderson, if he isn't traded, deserves (AT LEAST) a shot at the starting QB gig in camp. This has nothing to do with his Pro Bowl appearance (which just happened BTW, it being March 2008 and all). My thoughts are based on two things. The guy is undeniably talented, and the things he needs to improve upon have nothing to do with "talent." His teammates obviously like him, so I have no doubt he could become a leader. He does have problems with short/intermediate passes (obviously), but that's something repeated/consistent reps as a starter and quality coaching can possibly fix. He's still very very young. He has room to mature; he has essentially one season as a starting QB under his belt.

Now look at these historical comparisons. Below are Derek Anderson's, Peyton Manning's and Brett Favre's stats in their first season as a starting QB. They look pretty similar to me.

Season Team G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck

2007 Cleveland Browns 16 15 298 527 56.5 3,787 7.2 29 19 14

1998 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 326 575 56.7 3,739 6.5 26 28 22

1992 Green Bay Packers 15 13 302 471 64.1 3,227 6.9 18 13 34

Go ahead and say that the 2007 Browns were much better teams than the 1998 Colts and the 1992 Pack. And then think about what the Browns did/looked like in the 2008 season. The season that never existed.

The one thing you can knock, so far, on Anderson is his low completion % and his low QB rating. Then look at Manning's in 1998 and compare it to this season's (almost 67%). You can then say DA sucked this year, where Peyton improved to 62.7 in year two, but remember, this 2008 Browns season never existed. Besides, when you have the ability to create the big play like Anderson evidently does, you don't need to complete 67% of your passes.

Lastly, this is IN NO WAY a knock on Quinn. I think he can, in time, become a very good pro QB. But Derek, based on what we have seen him do in spurts and based upon historical comparisons, deserves at least a shot at being our guy. call me a DA fag, call me Lumbergh, but y'all know that just isn't true.

DA deserves a shot, and I'm sticking to it.

based on what?...chokin?...no thanx

Good lord, this is exactly what I was afraid of......this whole offseason is going to be rehashing all the same bullshit for the millionth time

LOL....I agree....but then that is the off season.

Even if we won the Super Bowl, we would be raking though the same old litter box time and time again.

This has been said before but I'll say it again. He was surrounded by so much ridiculous talent that he SHOULD have had at least 29 touchdowns. I mean, all he had to do was put the ball somewhere in the general area code of Winslow, JJ, or Braylon and it was a gigantic play. I can't think of any other offense in the NFL where the QB can just drop back and take a chance and throw a broadly accurate CHANCE-ball at the first read and be successful like the 07 Browns. DA never even had to think during the first part of 2007, when his first reads were open and defenses didn't know his arm strength. It's sort of like Warner to Fitzgerald... Warner just puts it there almost regardless of coverage and Fitz makes a play on it most of the time.

Once they saw the weakness and took those away, QBing in the 07 Browns offense became a bit more difficult for DA. He had to think through things on dropbacks. He couldn't do it. He shit the season away.

Aside from one game against the Giants in 08, he's shown that his terrible-ness is permanent. He can't get away with dropping back and launching the ball at the first receiver he looks at without reading coverages. It doesn't work for very long.

Well, I'm not buying into this. For one thing, we totally blew in 06 with the same cast of receivers, so obviously any QB wasn't going to succeed with all that "ridiculous talent" ... Charlie Frye didn't. And yes, I know Charlie Frye sucked ... but my point is ... Anderson doesn't.

Secondly, I'm not buying that defenses "didn't know his arm strength" at first, and then caught on. There are a lot of very smart people in the NFL who are paid a lot of money to scout the players your team faces. Anderson played in the PAC 10, three seasons of preseason games and four starts in 06 ... they knew his arm strength.

He had to think through the first half of 07 just as he did the second half. To me this is an example of the anti-DA bias on this board ... assumptions are made about to him to fit the argument that he blows and Quinn is the unquestioned answer.

I think Anderson actually is pretty good at reading blitzes, but gets fooled with coverages. He has a low percentage of getting sacked and a quick release, but he doesn't always recognize coverage schemes, which hurts him against the really smart defenses like Steelers, Ravens, Pats ... but then again, who excels against these defenses? And reading coverages is something that can be taught you don't give up on a 25 year old with a cannon and a quick release because he is still having problems with coverages.

Here's what frustrates me about Anderson: his inconsistency on short routes. He misses too many easy ones. That's why I give the edge to Quinn, especially in what I expect Daboli's system to be.

Otherwise I find some of the anti-DA stuff doesn't have real merit and I just think the kid is a real commodity that we don't want to jettison off too easily.

We haven't had a strong, consistent QB since Kosar was healthy in the late 80's. Teams like the Bears and the Lions seemingly NEVER find a franchise QB. We COULD be sitting on two of them. I'm just saying ... let's be smart about it.

Zombo

Folks

Cleveland will never accept DA-he had his chance. Even if he proves to be a stud in camp, there is not nuch hope for the fans accepting him as the Man.

Because of this fiasco Quinn has exactly 1 season, if that or he will follow DA out of town also.

Anyone know who's at the facilties working out daily?

Well, I'm not buying into this. For one thing, we totally blew in 06 with the same cast of receivers, so obviously any QB wasn't going to succeed with all that "ridiculous talent" ... Charlie Frye didn't. And yes, I know Charlie Frye sucked ... but my point is ... Anderson doesn't.

Secondly, I'm not buying that defenses "didn't know his arm strength" at first, and then caught on. There are a lot of very smart people in the NFL who are paid a lot of money to scout the players your team faces. Anderson played in the PAC 10, three seasons of preseason games and four starts in 06 ... they knew his arm strength.

He had to think through the first half of 07 just as he did the second half. To me this is an example of the anti-DA bias on this board ... assumptions are made about to him to fit the argument that he blows and Quinn is the unquestioned answer.

I think Anderson actually is pretty good at reading blitzes, but gets fooled with coverages. He has a low percentage of getting sacked and a quick release, but he doesn't always recognize coverage schemes, which hurts him against the really smart defenses like Steelers, Ravens, Pats ... but then again, who excels against these defenses? And reading coverages is something that can be taught you don't give up on a 25 year old with a cannon and a quick release because he is still having problems with coverages.

Zombo

Just because DA "has a low percentage of getting sacked and a quick release" doesn't mean he's good at reading blitzes. It means he drops back and throws it to the first freaking receiver he sees 90% of the time without reading the coverage at all. When defenses learned that's what he did, they jumped those routes and he went down the shitter. Don't mistake getting the ball out quickly because he's a Retard and doesn't read the defense with getting the ball out quickly because he reads the blitz.

I don't think DA sucks. I do, however, think Charlie Frye sucks. He limited the offense completely in 2006. When he was blowing, many of us lobbied for the big-armed DA to come in and rescue the offense. He had a great beginning to 2007, but we learned he's just a career backup with a big arm who doesn't have "it." DA is a step or two above Charlie Frye ... he's not a good starting QB however. I personally believe a top NFL QB could have 40 touchdowns, 15 INT, and a good completion percentage with that 2007 Browns team. I know it was DA's first full season as a starter at just 24, and only considering that he had a good season. But that's not the point. The point is, will he get better? If you have watched him at all, you know he will do nothing but regress.

He's never shown he could learn to read a defense beyond "hey theres my first read let me throw a rocket in his general vacinity." He'll always be a middle of the pack, better suited to be a back-up and suprise the defense, low completion percentage high interception QB.

This is a QB driven league as Shep has pointed out millions of times ... you don't win with a bottom or middle of the totum pole QB unless you have a legendary defense ... and even then it's still hard. Even IF DA can be considered a middle of the pack NFL QB, he's never shown that he can get better than that. In fact, he hasn't even shown he can stay the same. All he can do is regress.

A QB with brains, drive, and motivation CAN get better. Brady Quinn has those things. But if he doesn't become a top NFL QB, or at least show progression over his first season or so, ship his ass out too.

Just because DA "has a low percentage of getting sacked and a quick release" doesn't mean he's good at reading blitzes. It means he drops back and throws it to the first freaking receiver he sees 90% of the time without reading the coverage at all. When defenses learned that's what he did, they jumped those routes and he went down the shitter. Don't mistake getting the ball out quickly because he's a Retard and doesn't read the defense with getting the ball out quickly because he reads the blitz.

Again, I think you are selling him short. He needs work on recognizing coverages, but he does not seem to me to be a guy that just drops back and throws to his first read every time. That's not what I've seen. I've seen him pick up the blitz and call an audible more times than most QBs who have worn the colors.

I personally believe a top NFL QB could have 40 touchdowns, 15 INT, and a good completion percentage with that 2007 Browns team.

Wow. You really have high regard for that 07 offense. Maybe because it's the only good offensive team of this era for the Browns. But ... 40-15?

It's been done three times in the entire history of the NFL:

30-year-old future HOF Tom Brady in 2007

28-year-old future HOF Peyton Manning in 2004

28-year-old future HOF Kurt Warner in 1999

It seems your idea of a "top" NFL QB is a future Hall of Famer in his prime.

Since only Winslow is gone from that 07 offense ... I will expect, say, 35 TDs 16 INT from Quinn in his first year as a starter ... since he is so clearly gonna be better than Anderson.

Zombo

...argument that he blows and Quinn is the unquestioned answer...

Zombo

I'm not buying this argument either Z, but I do believe DA had his chance and Quinn hasn't.

When Frye and Anderson were in competition, neither had enough NFL experience to know. A competition made a lot of sense. So, if there's a competition this off season, then fine, but DA ought to start with 2 strikes against him and it should be darn close to Quinn's job to lose. If Quinn looks like crap, then start DA. This should be the rule of any starter on the team. But, if it's at all close, DA's track record holds him back which should push Quinn to number one.

It does concern me if the QB's have a competition without considering track records. From today's PD:

Hey, Tony: How does our coach not see that Brady Quinn is better than Derek Anderson? And I think they need to trade D.A. and get a draft pick or a D-back. -- Christopher Cutshall, Canton.

Hey, Christopher: I've said it before: Anderson's arm is intoxicating to most coaches. Watching tape, the sight of his beautiful spirals piercing the Lake Erie winds is mesmerizing. Most coaches believe they can coach a player to "manage" a game, but they can't coach arm strength. In Quinn's games, they probably see a dink-

and-dunker. He hasn't had the time to show more.

I don't agree with Christopher about Quinn being better (unknown), but when DA wears the yellow practice jersey, I'd put his meduim and deep routes up against anybody. Hopefully his track record keeps the staff from blindly falling in love with his arm. It just shouldn't be forgotten he was the Browns' worst offensive player in 07' and '08. The stats are the stats.

I'm still thinking this is all smoke screen. There is zero benefit to Mangini naming a starter. NFL Total Access said yesterday there should be a competition. All good as it increases DA's value - which I still contend is at its '09 peak.

The thing about coaches is they don't really care so much about the stats....especially new coaches on new teams.

As Grossi said....they see a skill set that can't be taught and figure they might need to give it a shot with Anderson....at least see in person.

I can't fathom going into this season with both these guys on the roster and then judging the starter based on camp, practice and pre season games. We'll be splitting the reps with the ones, causing dissension and division among the players and fans and basically having the QB's as the headliners all year long, which leads to more dumbing down of a fan base. We've had enough of that here: between Couch/Holcomb, Dildofer/Frye, Frye/DA and DA/Queen I've heard enough inane conversation between news print and sports talk to last me two more lifetimes.

Honestly, this is the time of year when people, either involuntarily or not, seem to forget what they've seen with their own eyes. Perhaps some of us should go back and watch some film to remind ourselves. It should not even be necessary to bring up stats anymore. How about the play last year against Washington when Heiden was wide open on a perfectly designed 4th down play but DA couldn't get the ball to him off his back foot?

I just don't get it, he is what he is folks, which is a big armed guy with no pocket presence or command of an offense. He's horribly inaccurate and doesn't know how to keep the chains moving. It's done, kaput, been rehashed a million times, but now it's an annual thing of selective memory and hope, just like with Edwards and his ability to start catching passes.

Meanwhile, we have a promising QB that we gave up a first and second for waiting to take the reins and run with it as the starter. He deserves the same treatment as the Serial Drive Killer, which means going into the season as the unquestioned starter who gets all the reps with the first team so he can develop. This is what DA had last year, which was after a disappointing second half of 2007 that reminded us all who the real DA is. DA had close to 30 starts, Queen had one on two days prep where he lit it up and then got hurt. Tell me how it's possible to not give this guy the reins?

I've been saying this over and over like Flugs, but the point has to be made. Even if DA were to win the job based on mostly practice, what the hell does this prove? We already know what he is, and in practice QB's aren't getting hit and making plays. There aren't a whole lot of QB's in this league that are going to look even steven standing next to him in a practice situation, probably not more than 5. However, there are probably about 35 QB's in the league I'd rather have behind center when it counts. Another thing, I'm not at all convinced DA would be a good backup, it's just the opposite. He is a notoriously slow starter that takes awhile to find the mark. If he were to come into a game due to ineffectiveness or injury, you can't count on this guy to do anything but throw airballs. He throws the ball without reading the field and always has, it's what gave him temporary success before everybody caught on.

I knew Phillip was making a mistake committing to this guy but held out hope. All last year did was reconfirm what I already knew, yet now we're going through this all again. He's not competing with Don Strock for the gig, it's Queen.

What's really the most confounding out of all this is how badly we need his pick and what we can do with it. We've already lost a ton of value by committing to him and kept Queen from progressing, and now we're going to sit back and let a possible 2nd or 3rd go so he can compete? That 2nd could be the starting SS we need now that Jones is gone. I just can't imagine this regime doesn't know all this and realize this draft is perfect for second rounders that we so desperately need. This has gotta be posturing, there is no way these guys want QB division starting off the new regime, and there is no way they could choose Dexter Anderson over Queen based on prior performance.

Seriously dude, did DA play well enough in the first Balt game that any competent coach wouldn't of benched him?

Anderson had 2 W's over Baltimore on his resume, including a come from behind overtime win at M&T.

Quinn had a preseason stinker at Detroilet as his only career starting experience.

Only a BQ Fag has trouble seeing the logic there.

Seriously dude, did DA play well enough in the first Balt game that any competent coach wouldn't of benched him?

I don't understand how one person can be so biased towards one player.

YOu have no football acumen whatsoever.

Dude is a tool; could actually be Boat Shoes himself....Boat Shoes will not be with OUR Browns this season and we will not have to put up with this nonsense

Archived